52 - Unexpected Help...

The Endless War

Staring at him in shock, Yoon Mi couldn't believe that his father could do that to his own son.

 

Leaning against the wall, Young Jae casted a sideway glance at her. 

 

He couldn't understand why Yoon Mi looked so sad. It wasn't her past and it didn't happen to her...

 

So why were her eyes misting over with tears?

 

"The day my old man found out what my gift was, he didn't hesitate to make use of it. Beginning he said his friends needed some help and said that my gift could be of aid. 

 

Initially he gave me a gem to channel my gift into and over time, his requests got stranger. I never questioned my father, sincerely believing in his words because he would always give me what I wanted.” He shook his head at himself, thinking why he was so dumb back then. 

 

“Until one day, I overheard his conversation on the phone. He was bragging to his friends about how his son was such a money maker for him. And how he had more plans on me to make more money for him.

 

I tried hard not to believe what he said but everything in my mind was adding up. All the requests, demands and 'help' that his friends needed. Everything was a lie. 

 

Observing him over the next few weeks, he kept giving me more things to do and that was the final straw. I was not going to help him anymore; I wanted no part in his dirty money.

 

Flat out refusing his request, the old man revealed his true colours. Started cursing and swearing, hitting me until I passed out. 

 

Waking up on the floor, in the same spot where I out. My old man stood by the door smoking a lighted cigar and asked me if I was going to continue providing my gift.

 

Remaining silent, I asked myself how could I have been so blind to his greed. 

 

Grabbing and lifting me up by my shirt "Answer up boy! Are you or are you not going to use your gift to make money for me!"

 

"Never" I answered him with all the hate I had in me. Burning me with the cigar he held in his other hand, he flung me against the wall. Closing in to land more hits on me, I fought back but my old man was stronger. 

 

It wasn't before long that I passed out again. And when I woke up, I found myself in an alleyway in a place that I couldn't recognize."

 

"He threw you out onto the streets?!" Yoon Mi cried, seeming to be in disbelief. 

 

"Your father was nothing like mine, I know you can't imagine how it was like." Young Jae said flatly.

 

"It wasn't long before Elder Yong found me on the streets" He ended his story short, considering how Yoon Mi looked like she was about to cry a river from her eyes. 

 

"Do you hate him?" Yoon Mi asked after a few moments of silence.

 

"Who? My birth father?" He guessed. "I don't give a damn about that lowlife. He may have brought me into this world but he was the one who also brought me out of it"

 

Yoon Mi turned into a pensive state as she hugged her knees to herself.

 

She missed her loving Appa, even though he was always so busy he would give in to her childish requests at time. Yoon Mi missed most was how she always felt safe with her Appa, the feeling that he would protect her with his life.

 

Just that unfortunately, it did cost him his life...

 

Time slowly ticked by and they watched the sun dip below the horizon. Getting to his feet, Young Jae dusted the dust off of him "Come on, we're expected for dinner" he said and left without waiting for her. 

 

*I don't hate you but I don't like you either...I wonder why I'm able to sit next to you like this* he thought to himself as he made his way to the dining table.

 

-

 

Walking at her own pace, the dining room was like usual with the banter between the guys and Young Jae was indifferent to Yoon Mi like usual. 

 

It would be a lie to say that she was not disappointed. After what happened earlier in the day Yoon Mi thought that they were at least a fraction closer.

 

What she didn't know was how the gears in his mind were turning or what was going through his mind and how some things didn't add up.

 

Finishing dinner, Yoon Mi went to the art studio to busy herself.

 

Dae Hyun went in the direction of the library hoping to look for books that might help Yoon Mi's situation.

 

Sensing someone behind him, turning around he saw Young Jae. Raising an eyebrow *You're heading to the library as well?*

 

"Yeah, there's something that I want to look up" he walked at a relaxed pace. 

 

"It was a shock to hear you speak" Young Jae said after awhile.

 

*It was a desperate situation to me* Dae Hyun answered as he looked ahead.

 

"I will never understand what goes on in your mind" Young Jae shook his head as he pushed open the library door.

 

*I don't understand myself either* Dae Hyun projected as he walked in after him.

 

Rolling his eyes, Young Jae went to look for the books he wanted.

 

That pattern repeating over the next few days, numerous books were pulled out and sprawled over the tables.

 

Slamming his hands on the table as got to his feet.

 

His eyes scanned over multiple books on the table before Young Jae said determinedly "I found it."

 

*Found what?* Dae Hyun asked as he flipped the pages of the book he was holding.

 

"A possible reason that is causing the nightmares" Young Jae explained.

 

Snapping the book shut *What?! How?* Dae Hyun got to his feet immediately to get over to the other desk.

 

"Basically that book there says that there is a range limit on how illusions can be projected" Young Jae pointed to one in the far left corner of the table. 

 

"The next one was a research on how one was able to expand that range, listing various experimental ways. One of them was blood." He pulled out an obscured book.

 

Holding up an ornate book "The third is an ancient book on vampiric witchcraft and pairing it with this book in my hands, it says that gifts can be amplified through an object or belonging." 

 

*But Yoon Mi didn't bring a luggage to the mansion when she first came* Dae Hyun recalled the night he first saw her.

 

"The book says it’s usually something small like jewellery, a necklace, bracelet or a ring" Young Jae explained. "Does she have anything like that?"

 

Racking his mind on anything small, Dae Hyun rarely saw Yoon Mi wearing any jewellery on her.

 

*But what's that thing she plays with on her hands?* He had a faint recall. 

 

*Her engagement ring* Dae Hyun finally remembered.

 

"I think that's the medium that is channeling the nightmares to her" Young Jae affirmed as he flipped through the pages again. "We need to destroy the ring"

 

*But will she be able to let it go? It's the only tangible thing from her past right?*

 

"We don't have a choice Dae Hyun, it's either we destroy it or it destroys her eventually" Young Jae sounded tired. All those intense days and hours of researching made him push himself like never before.

 

"Do we go to tell her now or wait for tomorrow morning?" Young Jae asked.

 

*It's night already? We tell her NOW! She might already be having a nightmare now.* Dae Hyun got up and ran.

 

"Aish! Why are you running?!" Young Jae picked up the important books with him and trailed after Dae Hyun.

 

-

Not bothering to knock, Dae Hyun slammed her bedroom door open as he ran in. 

 

But even that didn't wake her up. Tossing and turning, Yoon Mi cried in her sleep muttering incoherent words. 

 

*Yoon Mi!!* He tried calling out to her mind but he couldn't. The pathway to her mind felt blocked.

 

*Hyung!! Help! There's something wrong with Yoon Mi!* Dae Hyun mind spoke to Yong Guk and Him Chan. 

 

Within minutes, Yong Guk came running in looking like he had been in the training room while Him Chan looked like he woke up from sleep.

 

However Young Jae never came to her room and Dae Hyun kept speaking to his mind.

 

"Aish! That punk!! Can't he tell that I'm getting the stuff that we need to destroy the ring?!" Young Jae yelled in frustration, with Dae Hyun's incessant messages he couldn't think straight or about the things that they would need.

 

Walking out of the room, he looked for a vase of flowers nearby.

 

"Yah!! Moon Jong Up!!!!!" He yelled so loudly that his voice echoed down the hall.

 

Hearing that yell in his sleep, Jong Up jolted awake and fell to the floor with a heavy thud.

 

Groaning at the horrible way of waking up, "what is it Young Jae Hyung?" He asked feeling a migraine coming on.

 

"Help me tell that punk Dae Hyun to stop disturbing me!!!  I'm busy trying to get the things ready for destroying the ring!!" The flower on Jong Up's table shook as it brought over Young Jae's angry voice.

 

"Ah...I'll go tell him" Jong Up slowly got up and shuffled his feet lazily to Yoon Mi's room.

 

"Hyung..." He called them when he got there.

 

"Jong Up? What are you doing here?" Him Chan asked in surprise. Considering that they didn't call him or Zelo.

 

"Dae Hyun, Young Jae asked to stop bothering him. He said that he's busy-"

 

"Busy?! With what?!!" Him Chan exclaimed.

 

"I wasn't finished with my sentence...he said that he busy trying to get stuff ready for destroying the ring? Whatever that means" Jong Up groggily scratched his head in confusion.

 

*It’s okay; let him get ready those things. We need it if we want to help stop her nightmares.* Dae Hyun communicated to them.

 

But no matter what they did it wouldn't wake her up. Calling her name, shaking her or pinching her arm didn't work.

 

"Yoon Mi! Wake up!" Him Chan tried using his gift. 

 

Suddenly becoming still, Yoon Mi's eyes opened.

 

*She's awake...but she's not here with us* Dae Hyun said, noticing her dilated pupils. *Her mind is still trapped in the dream...*

 

"Damn it! What is it going to take to get you to wake up?!" Him Chan gripped his hand till his knuckles turned white.

 

Looking at her hands, Dae Hyun saw the white gold band on Yoon Mi's left ring finger.

 

*I wonder* He thought to himself.

 

Taking her hand, Dae Hyun tried to take out the ring but when he pulled at it, the ring seemed to oppose him. 

 

It burned hot against his fingers and most likely against Yoon Mi's as he pulled at it repeatedly.

 

Finally getting it off, the ring continued to burn his skin but he heard a sharp inhale from Yoon Mi.

 

Seeing light return to her eyes and her pupils gaining focus, she blinked. "W-what's going on? Why are you guys in my room?" Yoon Mi asked when she saw Dae Hyun by her bed and the other guys in her room.

 

The door slamming open, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT REMOVE THE RING!!" Young Jae yelled into the room. 

Staring at the ring in his hand, Dae Hyun felt a sense of dread as he closed his hand around the metal.


Annyeong~

Hmm, did I leave it at another cliffhanger? :)

I wonder why Young Jae said not to remove the ring. Haha, well actually it's more for you guys to wonder since I already have the next few chapters written already XD

Leave a comment~ let me know what you think :)

With love,

Violynn ( 22/12/2012 - 4:45pm)