31 - The Change

The Endless War

“I am Nara.” The elderly lady introduced herself.

“Please just call me Nara, I am a friend of Elder Yong; I’m the one that told him that he would be adopting 7 children into his house a hundred years ago.”

*A hundred years ago?!*The same thought flashed across all of their minds. They found it hard to believe but seeing how she knew that they were behind the door, they were on the fence about believing her.

“That old man, he had a hard time believing me and brushed me off after our encounter but after he met the first child. He told me that he pitied the child so much that he had to adopt him, lest he let the child die on the street.” She continued.

The air turned tense as they all knew that she was talking about Dae Hyun. He was the first person to be adopted in this place; hearing that he was adopted out of pity was something new to them.

They had heard stories that Elder Yong was a different person before he had adopted them. That he was never the nicest person around…

But after adopting and having to care for the six of them, Elder Yong had changed over time.

 “So Yoon Mi, how much do you know about your family?” Nara asked.

“A little here and there” Yoon Mi answered.

“I would believe so if your hair isn’t blonde” she commented.

“Why would my hair colour change anything?” She looked at her in confusion.

“You really are a sheltered one” the Nara looked into her eyes.”You’re fiancé protected you too much” She sighed.

“Among the Kwons, there is something called The Change. Usually they have it when they’re very young, 5 – 7 years of age is the average age when they go through that. How soon one receives their gift afterwards is dependent on the person.

But to trigger The Change, there must be something that has to happen.

You have never used your fangs before. Haven’t you?” She asked.

Caught off guard, Yoon Mi jumped in her seat.

“N-no, I have never used them before.” Yoon Mi answered hesitantly.

“So you’ve never bitten anyone before” Nara made the final statement, trying to affirm the non-obvious point.

“No, I have not” Her face turned red as she agreed.

“But your fiancé did. It’s why his hair is blond but yours isn’t. You also have two small marks on the left side of your neck” She lifted a finger and pointed.

“H-how?” Yoon Mi said in shock as her hand flew to cover the left side of her neck where there really were two small and faint marks.

“I can see your past, whether you remember it or not” she said. “It explains why there is still a countenance in your eyes…Most Kwons lose that light in their eyes after the change. The knowledge and burden too heavy for their young selves to bear, whether you might be like them it’s hard to say.”

“So you’re saying my hair colour will change when I bite someone” Yoon Mi repeated slowly to make sense of what was being said.

“When you use your fangs to bite and drink from, to be specific.” She corrected. “I foresee it to be someone blonde”

“They’re all blonde if you haven’t noticed” I said flatly.

“I know” she laughed. “I’m just saying it to annoy you. I’m not supposed to tell you who it is anyway” She shrugged.

“Great, now I’m afraid to use my fangs” She slumped in her seat, thinking how she was this close to changing the night Dae Hyun gave blood to her.

Thankfully she lacked the strength to even extend her fangs that night. If not, she would have unknowingly gone through The Change and not know what happened.

“You will find it hard to recover” Nara said, her eyes suddenly turning silver.

The air turned tense as they noticed her change as well.

But Yong Guk found these all too familiar. The way she spoke, that ‘I know something and I can’t tell you but I will do so indirectly’ way of speaking that reminded him so much of Yi Jae.

Not to mention when their gift activates on their own, their eyes would change colour.

“Your family blood…it is so different from normal vampire’s blood. Something in that blood, changes your DNA…It’s so strange. It clings onto the second DNA it detects. What’s the saying for this? Two is better than one?” Nara tilted her head as she processed the information she was saying.

“What are you saying?!” Yoon Mi cried. “You’re saying that even biologically I’m not allowed to be independent! What crap is this?!” She slammed her fist on her table.

“Your family members knew this” Nara said simply. “They had gained all this information in their mind when they gone through that change. That’s why they resigned to it and had no qualms about loving each other. But you, because you hadn’t changed…

You and your fiancé had a hard time…He didn’t want you to face the pain of the change and delayed it, knowing that you wouldn’t get your gift as a result of that. He chose to take that risk–”

“STOP!” Yoon Mi clutched her head “Stop looking into my past! Stop seeing the things that belongs only to me and him!”

“Him Chan, bring Yoon Mi back to her room. Stay by her side” Yong Guk instructed. It pained him to see her like this. Knowing that she was trying so hard to be strong only to find out that her own biology opposed her.

Waiting until they had left the room, Yong Guk had a fierce look in his eyes. “What are you trying to achieve by coming here, by telling her all of this”

“I thought it would be best to let her know about herself. At least all of you would know what would be going on when she goes through the change.” Nara explained with a weary expression. “There is no one else on this earth to explain to her and there is a risk on her life if she remains ignorant. It is not a luxury that she can afford.”

“You are trying to change the outcome of her future. It is against the rules of the organisation.” Yong Guk’s expression went dark as his voice was laced with hostility.

“How do you know of the organisation?” Nara looked at him with surprise. “Ah, you had a younger sister who could see as well. It was such a pity…I had seen the few ways her life could have gone, she would have been an excellent one.”

“I would appreciate it if you could exercise more control over your gift” Yong Guk growled, growing angry at how blunt this old lady was.

“Temper temper” She taunted annoyingly. “You need to show more restraint or it might just bring you more problems”

“I know myself” He said, clenching his fist under the table. They itched to burn with fire but he couldn’t.

Seers were protected by the society and there are strict punishments for harming one.

“She has hard times coming her way” Nara sighed.

“Yoon Mi already has it hard now, even without you telling her all this.” Yong Guk gritted his teeth.

“In the times to come, it’ll be even harder than it is now.” Her eyes becoming silver and returning back to its normal colour within seconds. Snapping out of it, she looked apologetically to the boys in front of her. “Look I’m sorry if I had brought unpleasant feelings but she needs to know if she wants to pull through. Finding out after she actually bites someone would be too late, also who know when that might be if she is able to go through 16 years without biting someone.”

“Do you have some bi-polar disorder or something” Yong Jae spoke up, not liking how she had turn from annoying to apologetic within seconds.

“No, I’m just incredibly fickle with everything” She replied tiredly.

“How did you manage to walk in without being detected by my gift?” Jong Up asked as curiosity was killing him on the inside.

“A friend of mine who’s gift was about shielding and guarding.  She gave me a pendant infused with her power and I can use it as and when I want.” Nara answered as she pressed the buzzer for Mrs. Kim to come in.

Eyes widening and much surprise from their old maid, it seemed that they had known each other for quite awhile.

“Come with me, I’ll show you to your usual room.” Mrs Kim said brightly as she walked with an extra spring in her step.

The boys were stunned as they had never seen that side of their old maid before.

-

“Are you okay?” Him Chan asked worriedly as he escorted her up to her room.

Taking a seat at the edge of her bed “I don’t know anymore” Yoon Mi’s head hurt as her mind kept repeating to her what she had just learned today.

“I can’t believe Ji Yong did this to me, to us!! If he hadn’t chosen to do what he didn't, he might still be alive!” She cried deeply. “Why does my gift have to come after biting someone? Why does my bloodline have to make us into such detestable and savage beings?!”

“You’re not detestable neither are you savage Yoon Mi” Him Chan knelt down to look at her lowered face. “That’s not who you are”

“How do you know who I am? We’ve only gotten to know more about each other recently” she retorted.

“I may not know all of you but so far, of what I know of you. Those two words do not describe who you are.” Him Chan reached and gently wiped away her tears. “You’re so shy and reserved, you don’t even dare you use your fangs. You have a beautiful smile that can cheer any person up, how in the world would anyone consider you that?”

“You’re just saying that” Yoon Mi shook her head in disbelief.

“Yah, are you saying I’m a liar? I’m saying my honest feelings here” Him Chan said in mock offense. “Don’t you believe in what I say?”

“I don’t know” Yoon Mi cried harder, unable to take any form of humour or teasing.

“Ahh…Shhh, I’m sorry. Don’t cry, I didn’t intend to make you cry harder” Him Chan immediately hugged her tightly.

“No! Let go of me!” She struggled in his arms “I don’t want to depend on others!”

“Don’t be foolish Yoon Mi! Everyone needs help to become stronger, to become better. No one does it alone! Everyone in this house got through our pain because we had each other! So don’t be stubborn about receiving our help!” He reprimanded. Him Chan’s sharp tone had caused her to turn silent as she closed her eyes and simply cried.

-

The door to her room opening slightly without a sound, Yong Guk walked to stand beside Him Chan who was seated on a chair next to her bed.

“She cried herself to sleep.” He explained as they watched over her sleeping frame.

“She does that sometimes.” Yong Guk answered softly, being careful so that Yoon Mi wouldn’t wake up.

Both of them staying by her side throughout the night, Him Chan nodded off to sleep in his chair while Yong Guk kept his eyes on Yoon Mi.

His worry for her did not allow him to sleep; it fuelled him to keep on watching over as she slept.

Thankful that he had not left, Yong Guk got to his feet when he saw Yoon Mi suddenly tossing and turning in her sleep.

Sitting on the side of her bed, Yong Guk held her hand and placed his other hand gently on her shoulder hoping to calm her down.

To make things worse, tears started flowing down the side of her eyes.

*Aish, this girl. Its bad enough she cried herself TO sleep, now she’s crying IN her sleep.*Yong Guk frowned, wondering what he could do.

It would be easier to handle if Dae Hyun was here but he’s not.

He won’t be for the next 5 – 6 months.

Moving his hand from her shoulder to lightly touch her cheek, Yoon Mi subconsciously leaned into his hand. Her mind recognising the warm the skin felt as a person, it moved on its own accord to be closer to the source of heat.

Keeping his hand there, Yong Guk realised that her tears had stopped. But as much as he wanted to, he would not be able to keep his hand there all night…

Letting go briefly to bring his chair closer, Yong Guk quickly held her cold hand with both of his, hoping that her mind would be able to register that action.

Giving her a kiss on her forehead like the last time, he hoped that it would put her at ease.


Annyeong!!!

Double updates to make it up for my empty headedness...

I've explained secret facts about the kwons and why Yoon Mi still doesn't have her powers. :)

Sigh, I've lost 2 subscribers....

wae? Is it because of my lack of updates? Y no lurb mi no more??? AHAHA Lols, *I cringed at my own sentence*

Photobucket

Imma hunt you down~

Photobucket

Kidding!!! I'm not doing to hunt you.

Photobucket

Then again...am I kidding?

Haha~ It's so much fun to play with gifs~

I think I accidentally changed the sad atmosphere that the chapter ended with >.< oops, sorry about that Yong Guk, Him Chan and Yoon Mi XD

I don't have any pre-written chapters anymore, so it will take the usual 7days until the next one :)