42 - His Past

The Endless War

“Wait. Did I hear that correctly?” Yoon Mi sat up straight as a bolt. “Your clan’s history? You’re from this clan?”

“Why? Do you think I’m detestable and cruel like my forefathers?” Dae Hyun tested her.

“No…I just thought that it was rare, I didn’t think that your gift was inherited. I thought it was based on character or by random like any of us.” Yoon Mi shook her head vigorously trying to dispel that thought from his mind. “I don’t think that way at all…” she said softly.

“Why is that?” He asked.

“If my child or my sister was taken away from me, I would have hated the person who took them away from me. Also the things that some of them went through…I would have wanted to do something for them…” She started off rambling trying to explain her muddled up mind.

“I think I get what you’re saying Yoon Mi” Dae Hyun gave a light chuckle as he ruffled her hair.

Taking a moment, he took a deep breath to prepare himself for the story that he was going to say.

Dejection washing over him, he tried hard not to let it control him like in the past. “I’m someone born out of an affair.” He said; his voice flat as he tried to hide the hurt. “My father was from that clan and he purposefully approached my mother out of revenge.”

Clasping his hand together as he sifted through buried memories, it felt hard sharing it even after so long. “The clan had found out that my mother’s family was one of the noble families that had survived the epidemic because of the healer that they had kidnapped.

Slowly getting close to my mother, he talked to her got to know her and slowly extracted information from her and her family.”

Not wanting to look at Yoon Mi, Dae Hyun looked out the window with sad eyes. His heart fearing the kind of expression she would have and what it would be once he was done with his story.

“Originally planning to kill the family.  When he found out that she was pregnant with me, his plans were ruined as it is against vampire society law to kill an unborn vampire child. Especially if it belonged to a noble family like my mother’s.

Deciding to break her heart, my father knew that my mother would not be able to take it; especially when she had loved him so much.

Learning of the reason that had brought them together being revenge. Like my father predicted, her mind could not handle it.”

Bringing his hands to his temple, he felt a migraine coming on due to the next part of his past. Finding difficulties with his words Dae Hyun paused for a few moments causing Yoon Mi to move closer to the edge of her seat to be closer to him.

“…Slowly my mother grew insane; I was kept from society because I’m an illegitimate child, my growing up was constantly filled with yelling, hitting and physical abuse.

She blamed my clan for being heartless and cruel people. That I was a painful reminder of her past, an eyesore and a life not worth having.” He quoted the exact words from his mother that even after a decade; it never faded from his memory. No matter how hard he tried. The angry image of his mother was etched into the back of his mind.

“She never forgave him for being able to play with people’s heart the way he did. ‘He always knew what to say to me. To make him lean on him more to depend on him more’ She always told me.

And it became worse when I grew older…” Dae Hyun shook his head when the memories came back in violent flashes.

“I resemble a lot like my father so she would have a fit when she saw me and it got worst was when I was 6.”

Red began to flash across his eyes.

Blood…He remembered…

His limp body on the floor as his own blood spilled onto the floor. Staining it a deep red whenever she was done with her outrage.

“She started scratching my face until I bled but wounds healed quickly for me so when my cuts healed seconds after my mother would continue taking her rage out at me.

Kicking, strangling, throwing me against the wall…these were the few things that she did to me.

After a few days, one of the older maids took pity on me and gave me a mask to wear.

I had my mother’s eyes so it spared me from getting abused on a number of occasions.

One day, my mom came into my room before I could put on the mask and she saw my face. Screaming and having fits again, she started hitting me as usual until the same maid pulled her away and gave her strong medication to make her sleep.

Coming to attend to me once she was sure my mom was asleep.  I was battered and bruised as I lay motionless on the floor.

It was more than what my body could handle at the time.

Telling me that it was best to run away, my young mind thought so too. If I was 6 or 7 and I resemble so much like my father already. What would she do if I was 10 or 16 and I became an exact replica of my father?” Dae Hyun recounted his exact thoughts. Dreading the various outcomes that might have been worse than a simple death.

“Would she be able to kill me? I wondered. That how things were escalating, it was probable that I might die at my mother’s hand…

Leaving with me, the maid said that she would bring me to the countryside or somewhere far away where I would be safe.

But it never came true as authorities hunted us down and accused her of kidnapping.

Chased into the forests, I hid in the waters so that they couldn’t track my scent. I guess even then, my father’s nomadic knowledge was buried in me.

Shivering and freezing cold, I endured it for days and took animal’s blood to survive.

Finally thinking I was safe, I left the forest and found myself in the next town wandering the streets with nothing on me meaning that I had no means to survive.

Totally starved, I couldn’t get blood without any money and there were not much animals for me to feed on compared to the forest.

But by the time I realized that, I was too late and I had already grown too weak to move.

‘Is this the way that I’m going to die?’ I wondered to myself as I sat on the ground of a dark alleyway.

Taking what I thought was my last breath before I lost my humanity. Elder Yong gave me blood a few moments I before I was completely lost.

His guards wrapped me up and carried me back where they cleaned me up and brought me here.”

Stopping to look around this place he remembered that his early days here weren’t the best either.

“Being here…Even though I was away from my past, it still haunted me in my head. The pain that I vividly remembered when I was growing up, the words that she callously said to me…my mind remembered all of it.

And my traumatized state irritated elder Yong; he didn’t know how to deal with children. He never had one himself and I was the first child that had ever set foot on the property.

He lived the life of a bachelor until the seer paid him a second visit to beat some ‘sense’ into him. And to reveal his possible future that would solidify if he continued on like this.” Dae Hyun gave a dry laugh at how the old seer Nara really gave Elder Yong a seriously good whack to the back of his head.

“It was only from then, which was almost a year after I had stayed before he started to change.

I couldn’t lose the mask. It was my sense of comfort, my shield that protected me from harm. Even though it was just a simple piece of cloth, it made my mother happy.

I couldn’t forget the time when she first saw me with it.

For the first time in my childhood years, she looked into my eyes.

For the first time she saw me as me. Not the replica of the man that left her and her heart in pieces.”

Taking out the black mask from his pocket…Dae Hyun the fabric in his hands.

“Growing up here, the mask became my excuse for not talking. My experiences left me socially inept and I had no desire to have a part in vampire society. I didn’t want anybody to make references to who I looked like since I was adopted.  And being the first that he brought back, there was a lot of attention on me that I didn’t like. I would have preferred to be ignored and left to my own business. Now, the mask is a convenient tool to have people to leave me alone since they know that I wouldn’t pay attention to them and – How long are you going cry for Yoon Mi” Dae Hyun got off the table he was sitting on and went over to her.

Brushing the tears off her face, the next tears quickly made new trails that went down her cheeks.

“You’ve been crying since just now and I thought that you’d be fine once I finished but my guess was so way off the mark.” Dae Hyun rubbed circles on her cheeks lovingly with his thumbs. “You’re crying even more that I thought you would. What am I going to do with you Yoon Mi?” He rested his forehead against hers.

“Tell me…why are you crying?” Dae Hyun whispered feeling genuinely curious. No one had ever shed tears for him before and here Yoon Mi was crying her eyes out.

“B-be-because y-you looked ss-so sad Dae Hyun…T-the hurt that I-I could see through y-your eyes a-and the pp-pain that I f-felt” Yoon Mi answered the best that she could through her tears and stuttering.

“Silly girl” Dae Hyun leaned in so that the tips of their noses were touching as well. “You can’t feel my pain, no one can.” he gave a weak smile at how compassionate this girl in front of him was. “Your heart is too big for your own good Yoon Mi”

“Thank you so much for caring for me” Dae Hyun wrapped his arms around her giving her a hug. “Close your eyes Yoon Mi” He whispered. Bringing his lips to her eyelids once they closed.

Quietly kissing her tears away, Yoon Mi could only melt in his hands from this sweet action.

Once the tears stop, Dae Hyun left a kiss on her forehead and pulled away. “You look so disappointed” he gave a light chuckle.

“D-dis-disappointed?!” Yoon Mi replied in shock. “W-what would I-I be dis-disappointed about?” She looked away at a random direction.

“Come with me” Dae Hyun tugged at Yoon Mi with him as he left the book on the table and dragged her along with her.

“W-where are w-we going?” She questioned as she tried to shake is grip on her wrist while being dragged.

“You’ll see when we get there” was all he said as he led them up staircases and various corridors.

Noticing the familiar corridor and furnishings around them, opening an even more familiar door “w-wait Dae Hyun, isn’t this your room?” She halted to a stop at the door.

“Yes it is.” He simply answered and easily pulled her into his room closing the door behind them.

Taking off his coat and tossing it onto his study table, he went to his bed and pulled out the blankets.

Carrying Yoon Mi bridal style making her yelp in surprise as she instinctively wrapped her hands around his neck to prevent herself from falling off.

Setting her on the bed and getting in himself.

Dae Hyun pulled the sheets over them and wrapped his arm around Yoon Mi pulling her incredibly close. His legs overlapping hers, all the points of contact registered in Yoon Mi’s mind as she turned a deep shade of embarrassment.

“Good night Yoon Mi” Dae Hyun mumbled sleepily as he closed his eyes.

“Yah!! Dae Hyun!!! Let me go this instant!” Yoon Mi squirmed under his grip. “I’m not even sleepy yet! Also why do you need me to fall asleep in the first place?!!”

“Sshh, I’m trying to sleep here.” He slurred as snuggled closer to her, his arms tightening around her. “Watch me sleep until you feel sleepy then” She heard him yawn. “I don’t think you mind it anyway. Your heartbeat is beating faster than the clubbing music that I heard in the slums”

Gawking at his description. Yoon Mi couldn’t believe that he could hear her heartbeat as well!

A whisper that was just audible to be heard, Dae Hyun rested his chin on the top of her head.

“Just stay still and sleep with me”


Annyeong!!!! Lovely Subscribers & Readers!!!!

Thank you so much for allowing me to reach the 200 subbies mark! :D So I've decided to release this chapter right now and set it free from standby mode.

I've tried hard to make him sound flat and emotionless when he was describing his past. *Well, because it's in his character to do so*

I hope that it's realistic enough as well >.< aish creating background stories is hard....

I hope that you've enjoyed the chapter :)

Super sleepy and tired I didn't do my usual proofread.

Sorry for any errors.

With love,

Violynn

2012/09/02 4:40am