Release

Happily Ever Never

It felt weird for him to step out of the shop for the first time in what seemed like forever. He had worked like crazy, but he enjoyed every second of it. All the people and all their hidden stories. He loved to wonder about them. He loved to be free to guess what their life was like. He was able to see their relationships. I could see their love and friendship. He could see the small children, the ones that were shy and the ones that were out going and who liked to play with him.

 

Now, everything was different. Being on the otherside of the restaurant was completely different. Everyone had busy lives, refusing to slow down. They walked hurriedly by, usually on cell phones and holding a brief case. Everything was fast paced, always moving forward. Nothing ever seemed to slow down. He wondered how he had ever been able to survive in that world.

 

"How are you doing, Jaejoong? Are you getting used to everything now?"

 

Jaejoong jumped slightly when he heard the calm voice. He nodded quickly. He had learned so much about the restaurant business in such a short time. He was getting better at bussing tables, becoming quicker and able to help with other things. He hated to be a burden to others, so he promised himself that he would become better at his job and do whatever is needed of him.

 

He was willing to learn and willing to help. After all, how else was he to thank the granny for taking him in and helping him out? He was so grateful.

 

"That's good." Yunho seemed to smile weakly at him before pointing into a building. It was the karaoke building that Jaejoong followed Yunho inside. He was curious about everything as he had never been able to come to a place like this before.

 

"Yunho!" Yoochun was waving from down a narrow hallway. Jaejoong stared at Yunho's back as they walked down the hallway while wondering if it was really ok to crash the party that Yunho wanted with his friends. He didn't want to be a burden or a pain to anyone. He was actually perfectly fine with staying in.

 

"Jaejoong hyung! You came too!" Yoochun smiled at him before walking into a room. It was a rather large, dark room with only a flatscreen for light. Junsu was scrolling through all the different songs as he silently said hi to everyone.

 

He decided to sit down, Yunho sitting beside him as Junsu started off with a fast song that Jaejoong had never heard before. He actually hadn't heard a lot of the songs that were played before to the surprise of Yoochun and Junsu. He just sat quietly, watching as the three men sang. He was quite moved by all three of their voices.

 

"Jaejoong! You haven't sung yet! Why don't you sing?"

 

Yunho pushed the microphone into his hands, smiling at him. The mood had loosened up a lot, everyone now being relaxed. Jaejoong glanced at the mic, Yunho, Junsu and Yoochun before shaking his head. He was just too nervous to sing in front of all of them, besides he was positive he didn't know any of the songs.

 

"It's ok. Just see if there is a song that you would like to sing. If not, then you don't have to."

 

Jaejoong nodded, going up to the screen to find a song. He nearly scrolled halfway down when he stopped. There was one song that he had heard before and had been his favorite for years. Since before he had ever gone into the business world. He picked it, knowing that he would have to sing. He stood nervously in front of the screen, keeping his back to the people behind him.

 

"You tell me that I know very little about the world.

With eyes showing a little worry,

With a sorry smile.

Yeah,

I Guess I really don't know the world.

Maybe I walked this long way by myself."

 

The room went dead silent except for Jaejoong's shy singing voice. Slowly he warmed up though, forgetting everything else but the song that was completely burned into his brain. That is when he let everything go and only let his voice take control.

 

"I don't have regrets.

All the dreams, with smiles or tears

It's only my world"

 

He sang the entire song, tears and his emotions showing clearly until he was breathless. At the end of the song, he stood motionless for a second. He didn't dare to turn around as it was then completely silent. His tears were falling non-stop anyway. He quickly put the mic down and ran out of the room. He needed to get away from them. He didn't want to show them his distraught feelings. For just a moment, he needed to run again.

 

He breathed as soon as the cold air hit his face. He let it calm him and relax him until he could no longer feel the tears running down his face.

 

"Jaejoong." Yunho's breathless voice caused him to refocus, to find the man standing just in front of him. He was surprised to feel his warm hand on his cheek. His warm hands that wiped his remaining tears. "Are you ok?"

 

Jaejoong nodded, looking down from his pointed gaze.

 

"You know, you can always talk to me. Right?"

 

Jaejoong nodded again, but his eyes stayed glued to the floor.

 

"You were amazing, Jaejoong. Your voice... I've never heard anyone sing like that before. You have a real talent."

 

The comment made Jaejoong look up in surprise. He could see Yunho's eyes speak of the truth. He smiled shyly, happy to know that someone appreciated his voice.

 

"Jaejoong..."

 

"There he is!"

 

Jaejoong, even though he knew Yunho was about to say something important, turned his head when he heard people yelling. He was surprised when he saw big men in all black suits come towards him. He knew exactly who they were.

 

"Yunho! Run!!"