Making it Up

Happily Ever Never

He didn't remember falling asleep, but as soon as he woke up he felt the need to leave. His hair was still damp from the unexpected shower earlier. His body ached as he put layer after layer onto his frozen body. He glanced out the window, the rain had disappeared but the snow was now leaving a clear layer onto the ground outside. He shook his head.

 

He grabbed a bag, stuffing a blanket and a few other things inside before leaving the room. He could hear his friends clearly in the living room, having a discussion...probably about him. He stood against the door frame, wondering how he would be able to leave without being caught. He inched forward so that he could see into the living room, where Yoochun, Changmin and Junsu were talking. He kept looking, but he couldn't find Yunho anywhere.

 

"Looking for me?"

 

He jumped, turning instantly to find Yunho behind him. He was leaning against the door frame, a towel hanging from his head. He looked away instantly, not answering him. Instead he wondered if he could make it out the door without being caught.

 

"Where are you going?"

 

Yunho took his arm, but he threw it off instantly. He began to walk away, but he knew he wouldn't make it far.

 

"Kim Jaejoong, where are you going?"

 

Yunho's voice caught everyone's attention. Everyone stood up, standing around Jaejoong as he was only a few feet from the door.

 

"Please...I, I can't leave her alone." The voice was soft, his eyes sad as he thought about it. Thought about leaving his daughter alone. It was so cold, and he didn't want her to be covered in snow. No one seemed to have the heart to tell him he couldn't go. Even though they had all known that Jaejoong had been running a high fever earlier that night.

 

"It's 2 AM. Jaejoong." Yunho said, his hand held tightly to Jaejoong.

"I don't care, I just...I need to be with her."

 

Yunho met his eyes, understanding. He wanted to meet his own daughter. He wanted to ask for forgiveness.

 

"Let me come with you?"

 

Jaejoong stumbled backwards slightly, tears running from his cheeks. He couldn't even stop the sobs escaping from his lips. Yunho pulled him into his chest, holding him tightly.

 

"I'm sorry Jaejoong. I know it's not enough, but I'm sorry. I, if I had been there, I could have protected you. I'm sorry."

 

Jaejoong shook his head, pushing Yunho away.

 

"It's my fault. My father said that I would be just like him...I guess it is true."

"What?"

"My father, he tried to kill me. I killed my own child. I'm just like him..."

 

Yunho shook his head, taking both of Jaejoong's arms.

 

"You don't believe that. You can't believe that. It was an accident, Jaejoong. What your father did to you wasn't an accident."

 

Jaejoong turned his head away, tears still falling. He refused to believe anything else, he had hurt his baby and now he was hurting the people around him.

 

"I'm sorry. It was a mistake to come back here...I, I should leave."

 

"No!" Junsu interrupted, his eyes lost in memories.

"I don't want you to go again!"

 

"We don't either!" Changmin and Yoochun responded quickly.

 

"It's been hell without you! We worried about you and we had so many situations in our heads. We've been tortured, because we were the ones who couldn't take care of you." Junsu continued, his eyes on the floor.

 

"Enough..." Yunho stopped them. He had another idea. "I'll take Jaejoong to see...to see our daughter."

 

The words were strange to him and sad. However, it seemed right. It was right to call SooYun their daughter. He would definitely make Jaejoong see the truth. He wouldn't let Jaejoong suffer alone anymore.

 

He took Jaejoong's hand, leading him out the door gently.

 

As soon as they were at the cemetery, Jaejoong took out the blanket and placed it over the snow before kneeling in front of the place marker. Yunho stared at it, at the name and the date before following Jaejoong. He wasn't sure how long he prayed as the snow came down even heavier, he just knew he had a lot to say. A lot for Jaejoong to hear.

 

"My daughter...SooYun-ah. Appa is sorry. Appa is sorry he didn't do enough for your mother. Appa is sorry he broke his promise to your mother. You'll forgive me, right? You'll forgive me? Also, I'm sorry this is my first time. This is my first time seeing my pretty daughter. Appa is sorry. If you forgive me, will you let Jaejoong...will you let your Umma stay by my side? He doesn't know. He doesn't know how I suffered without him. Appa is sorry to Umma too. Let your Umma know that it wasn't his fault. Nothing that happened was his fault. It was mine. So let me suffer one hundred, a thousand or even a million times before you let your mother suffer again. If you are looking down on us, please do this for me. It is the only request from your Appa."

 

"Yunho..."

 

When he finally looked up, he could see the surprise in Jaejoong's eyes. Yunho smiled weakly at him.

 

"Whatever happened, Jaejoong. None of it was your fault. So please, please forgive me? I promise to make you happy again. I promise to never hurt you again. So don't leave again, alright? Don't leave my side again. I can't do this without you."

 

He could see the hesitation in Jaejoong's eyes before the tears broke and he nodded. Yunho smiled, gently taking Jaejoong's face into his hands and kissing him on the lips.

 

"You're cold Jaejoong. Let's go home." Jaejoong nodded but turned to the gravestone once more.

 

"Umma loves you, SooYun-ah." His fingers brushed against her name before he stood. Yunho stood as well, supporting him. He could tell he was already weak, the fever slowly returning.