Being Different

Happily Ever Never

Being told that he was different, being ignored and mistreated. He was able to take all of that. Even from the moment he was born, he could survive with his unforgiving family even if he didn't agree with them. He watched the unmentionable things that his father did, or the selfish things his mother did. He could barely see his older sister whine. They were always begging for something.

 

He was different though. He didn't beg, because he didn't want anything. If he could have anything in this world, it would be freedom from his suffocating family. Instead, he looked to help others. He liked to help. He liked to see their happiness after it had been long deserved. So as he grew up, he grew steadily away from his family. He worked hard at getting good grades, even though his classmates ignored him. They were afraid of him and afraid of what his family could do to them if they did something wrong.

 

He was alone in this world, but he was still able to find his own happiness. In his Junior High days, he started working at an orphanage secretly and for free. He wanted to help out. He wanted to be useful to at least one person. He worked everyday, his parents hardly noticing that he would come home later than he used to. When they did notice, he would tell a white lie...he would tell them he was studying or tutoring. Something along those lines.

 

For four years he helped out at the orphanage without anyone in his family noticing. He loved it. He loved being around kids. He loved helping them. He loved cherishing their lives when their parents had given up on them. He taught them a lot, gave them hope all while pursuing his own dreams of becoming an artist. He loved music. He loved the Piano and he loved to sing. He even liked to dance. He liked everything that involved an artistic touch.

 

However, as soon as high school started, everything began to change. All of a sudden, his parents were focusing on him. They were pushing him to become the heir to his father's business. He was the oldest and only son that they had, who else was going to take over the business? He wanted nothing to do with it though. He didn't want to become like his cold father who only looked at him because he was "taking over". He didn't want to deal with the cold-hearted business.

 

Four years...he dealt with the hardships for four long years. He followed his father around and he could feel himself getting cold due to his anger. He didn't like being pushed around. He didn't like being told what to do, who to be or how things were. He didn't like to hear any of them, but for four long years...that was all he heard. He didn't receive any comfort, any nice words. There were absolutely no smiles. Nothing was happy...not even himself. He couldn't dress like himself, but rather in suits. All the time the only thing he wore was suits. Even to class, he was only allowed to wear suits when he stepped outside the door.

 

"Jaejoong? JAEJOONG!"

 

He frustratedly looked up from his studying. His parents disregarded his school life too. They thought the most important thing was to be the heir. Be the next boss. Be only what they wanted him to be. He felt so sick. Sick to be their child.

 

"It's time to go. Your father is waiting for you."

 

Jaejoong's mother forced his suit coat on before rushing him down the steps. A butler placed a clean pair of shoes in front of him, which he had no choice but to wear. He was then forced to pull on a winter jacket before escorted outside to a large white limo. Never during his Junior High days did he dare step anywhere close to a limo, but that had all changed.

 

Now, he sat in silence beside his father. If they weren't talking about work, his father didn't bother to talk to him or even look at him. Instead, he was constantly talking on the phone or talking to his secretary. He laid his head back boredly. Another boring meeting that he had to attend, in front of a large crowd who only ate up all the lies that were told.

 

"We are here! Let's go."

 

Jaejoong stepped out of the car after his father, surprised when he was met with a lot of screaming girls. He stood beside his father as a lot of screaming girls stared in his direction.

 

"Don't look at any of them Jaejoong. I'm arranging your wedding."

 

He stood frozen at his father's words. Marriage? They had never discussed a word of it before. He wasn't ready to be married...he didn't want to be married, especially to a stranger. The rest of the day seemed to be frozen to him. All he could think about was his father's words as they stood up in front of hundreds. Over a microphone, his father and a few other very important business men discussed some kind of program that was opening up. He didn't care though.

 

"Jaejoong. Go back to the car. I'll be there soon."

 

He turned immediately. He wasn't able to look at his father anymore. The father who didn't care about him. He paused walking, causing the few guards around him to stop too.

 

"Young Master?"

 

He glanced up at the man who spoke as he curled his hands into fists.

 

"I need to go to the bathroom. Alone."

 

They looked amongst each other, and then began to discuss this odd situation. They had never had to deal with something of this nature, because usually Jaejoong listened without complaint. However, they didn't notice that Jaejoong slipped away while they were discussing. He ran away from the life that disgusted him. However, he had never thought about what he would do when he was on the street. Where would he go? How would he support himself?

 

He wondered the streets in which he had never been able to go alone. He always had someone with him before, but this time was different. This time he was alone.

 

He wasn't sure what to think about his father. Would he be worried? Jaejoong laughed to himself. He'd be angry instead of worried. He'd be angry that his only son had chosen once again to opt out of the business world. He sighed as he looked down at the suit he was in. It felt so unnatural to wear this on the streets of Seoul. It was probably the reason why he was getting such weird looks.

 

He wanted to pursue one of his dreams. If he was out on his own, he needed to go as far as possible and do everything that he has ever dreamed of. It was his goal. His dream. His plan. He didn't care if it was taking care of children or if he was singing...he just needed to do it before he was caught.

 

He wondered further and further from the venue. He enjoyed walking through the crowds, even if they did stare at him weirdly. He enjoyed the sites and the smells. Everything was intriguing and new.

 

"THERE HE IS!"

 

Jaejoong turned, panicking when he noticed his body guards pointing in his direction. He began to run away from them. He wasn't ready to go back and he sure as hell wasn't ready to be punished for his short escapade. He ran as fast as possible until he was able to safely duck inside of an alleyway. He was happy when the bodyguards passed his hideout, but remained to stay there a little longer till he was sure they were gone.

 

Then he thought about what needed to come first. He was homeless, resourceless and friendless. There was nothing else to do but get a job. He began with the closest shops. He went in, promising that he was a fast learner and that he was willing to do anything for a little bit of money. Shop after shop denied him a job. He felt almost hopeless when he stumbled into a small cafe. An older woman came up to him, ushering him to a chair.

 

"You look starved and tired!" The granny patted his back. He smiled at her, the first smile he cracked in four long years.

 

"I'm fine granny. I was wondering if you needed a worker? I'm willing-"

 

"You are hired!"

 

Jaejoong stared at her blankly. How could she accept him just like that?

 

"You look like a run-away. It's ok...I understand. You are welcome to sleep upstairs, you can eat whenever you are hungry, but I expect you to be here every night. I want you to bus tables, understand?"

 

Jaejoong nodded, his eyes wide. Who couldn't accept those conditions?

 

"I'll work hard! Halmoni!"

 

The granny laughed lightly before grabbing his hand and leading him into the back.