Part 21

DESTINY

Hyunwoo and Jooheon come home around 5 in the morning. When they reach home, Kihyun and Changkyun are sleeping in the living room. Cuddling with each other. 

"Why are they looking so cute?" Jooheon commented. Reminded of the two cat pets he used to foster in Seattle a few years ago. He wanted to adopt them, but his erratic working time prevents him from doing so.

Hyunwoo just smiles. Despite living in the same house, he doesn't really have much opportunity to see Kihyun's sleeping face. Most of the time when he has to wake up his wife, Kihyun is usually hiding under his blanket. Not a healthy way of sleeping actually and he has told his wife to change the habit, but a bad habit is hard to die.

"You should take Kihyun inside, I will replace his place" he continues as he moves Changkyun hand away from Kihyun.  

Hyunwoo carefully lifted up Kihyun. "Call me if you need anything," he said before leaving with Kihyun in his arms. He struggles with the door a little but manages to open it without waking up his wife. He put Kihyun down on the bed gently and tuck him properly. Hyunwoo laughed a little when Kihyun instantly pulls the blanket over his head. 

Jooheon drives his car with Changkyun sitting next to him. The winter is coming and the wind is starting to get cold. However, he let his windows down because it seems like Changkyun is enjoying the cold breeze.

"You really like the sky lately" Jooheon tries to start a conversation. They haven't said a word to each other since they left Kihyun and Hyunwoo's house earlier.

"People said the things we think about before sleep will come to our mind the first thing in the morning" Changkyun replied. "I think I was thinking about the sky a lot before I got hurt"

"Do remember anything about your accident?"

"Not really. I just know it happened at night. Everything else is still blurred"

Jooheon relieved. They haven't told Changkyun the truth about his injury yet. They lied to him that he was robbed while doing groceries. Jooheon suddenly has second thoughts about bringing Changkyun back to his apartment. What if the moment Changkyun walks into his house and all the memories come back to him? Will Changkyun be able to deal with it? or will Changkyun crumble from the traumatic memory?

"This is our house," Changkyun said as he entered the apartment carefully. He scans every corner of the apartment and everything feels familiar to him. He doesn't remember living here, but he feels used to its surroundings. 

"Yours, actually. I was working in Seattle remember?" Jooheon replied as he gives Changkyun a back hug. "Welcome home, sweetheart" he whispers.

"It's...welcome home to us" Changkyun replied as he giggles because of the whisper. "You barely left my side when I was in the hospital" he added.

"I left you alone for years and I intend to not let that happen anymore" Jooheon replied. "Do you remember this house?" he asked.

"Not really. But, I remember the room. Our 'fun' place, isn't it?" Changkyun turns around to face Jooheon. 

"Are you teasing me right now?" Jooheon asked smiling. He kisses his boyfriend on the lips gently. "Do you think you can handle it?"  

"Researchers suggested that staying active underneath the sheets can produce more dopamine. It's good for my brain" Changkyun replied wittily.

Jooheon lifted up Changkyun in a bridal way and laid him on their bed carefully. He didn't even bother to close the door as he starts 'devouring' his boyfriend.   

"Good job with the kids," Prosecutor Kwak said as he walked toward his friend who is standing alone in front of the courthouse. "Going in?"

"Nope. Already done. Waiting for my associates to pick up the car" Kihyun replied. 

"How is your husband's brother-in-law?" 

"He's recovering well" Kihyun simply explains. "Why do you ask?" 

"Out of curiosity. Don't the kids ask about him?" the prosecutor replied.

"They do, every time we met. They want to meet him. They said they didn't care if he will remember them or not. They just want to see him for a while. I keep telling them I will bring them to meet him one day. Don't know if that will happen or not" Kihyun replied as he smiles a little. "Maybe in a few more years. After everything's calmed down" 

"Stuff like this doesn't calm down, you know that. But, I think many of your former clients will be willing to give your protection" 

Kihyun just laughed it off. 

"By the way, I'm visiting prison last week" Prosecutor Kwak continues. 

"Any case for me?" Kihyun asks without thinking much. 

"No. I just think you should know this....your ex is applying for parole. Based on the things I heard, it's highly likely they will grant her application" 

"Parole is only granted to exemplary prisoners. If she got it, it means she's good" Kihyun sees his car is coming. "Thanks for the info and don't worry much. I had protection from the other side, remember?" he said before he left and get in a car that waits for him at the drop-off area.

Prosecutor Kwak just watches his friend. He waves his hand as the car passes in front of him before proceeding to his own car. 

Kihyun has been watching Hyunwoo for almost 5 minutes. But, the surgeon seems too occupied with his work to even notice his presence. So, Kihyun knocks on the door to get his attention.  

Hyunwoo lifted up his head and smiles at his wife. He is supposed to be on the night shift today. However, he has some paperwork to do which is why he ended up coming to his office early.  "What's up with this surprise visit?"  he takes off his glass. Then, stand up to welcome his wife. 

Kihyun walks to his husband and gives the man a kiss on his nose. Hyunwoo replied with a kiss from Kihyun on top of his head. It's their signature greetings. "I suddenly feel like I want to have a lunch date with you" Kihyun answered. "Will you come with me?" he asked.

"This is a rare opportunity. Of course, I won't decline" Hyunwoo answered with a smile. 

**************************

"You seem distracted" Hyunwoo commented as he cut the beef steak into tiny pieces for Kihyun. "Thinking about your case?" 

"Not really, it's just..." Kihyun ponders on how to put his feeling into words for a moment. "What happened to Changkyun...makes me realize, we don't have much memory together. We don't even live our life like a normal husband and wife" 

"As long as we are comfortable, I don't think that's a matter" Hyunwoo return the plate to Kihyun. Then, starting to cut his own beef steak. 

"I haven't let you touch me since we got married. Are you sure you're comfortable?" Kihyun replied as he let Hyunwoo have the first bite. 

"We hug, we kiss, we give each other massage all the time and you are great at massaging. I used to have back pain from standing too much but not anymore" Hyunwoo is still unaware of the real meaning of 'touch'. He fed Kihyun his steak in return. 

"Not that. I mean touch like...you know" Kihyun whispered. 

Hyunwoo finally understands what his wife is talking about. 

"Jooheon and Changkyun make you think about this?" Hyunwoo asked with a frown on his face. 

"Kind of. But, not specifically about 'that'. They haven't been together for so long, even with Changkyun's post-traumatic amnesia and he still trusts Jooheon with all his heart. It's just they're a more normal couple than we're" Kihyun explains before Hyunwoo has a wrong thought about him. "and...I have a domestic violence case this morning. The wife is attacking her husband for not 'touching' her. It makes me think about us"

"You think I will beat you up? We've been married for three years. Why would I beat you up now?" Hyunwoo is completely taken aback. At the bottom of his heart, he is disappointed that Kihyun though he is capable of hurting someone for his own satisfaction. 

"No. You can't even say no to a scam call. I'm pretty much sure you don't have the heart to hurt people too" Kihyun eyes his surrounding. Everyone seems like they are focusing on their own thing. "I just wonder if I ever make you frustrated" he continued.

Hyunwoo thinks deeply as he munches his food. 

"You know how our schedules usually clash. I might have overlooked the signal or something" 

"Now that you talk about it, I just realized that I never think or have the urge to do it" Hyunwoo looks frightened. 

"What?" Kihyun is worried. "What's the meaning of that face?" 

"Do you think something is wrong with me?" Hyunwoo asked. 

Kihyun frowned. Try to understand the real meaning behind that question. "Are you saying you never want me?" Kihyun sounds upset. Then, he remembers something. "Is it because you watched me give birth?"

"I didn't watch you give birth" Hyunwoo replied as he tries to remember the birthday and was completely sure he wasn't in the room. He was waiting anxiously alone in the hallway. 

"You heard me screaming and you walk in during my afterbirth. You are probably traumatized without you knowing" The memory of the twins' birth three years ago is still fresh in the back of his mind. Sometimes he wonders if he is capable of going through that kind of pain again. But, more often he wishes to see Sang Wook be a brother like he was meant to be. However, with the way they live their life right now, that seems impossible though.

"I don't think so. I'm a trauma surgeon. I've seen so many kinds of pain" Hyunwoo feed his wife another piece of the steak. "How about you? Do you ever interested in me?" 

Kihyun coughed from the unexpected question. 

"I never look attractive to you?" Hyunwoo asks as he helps Kihyun to calm down. "Guess I need to upgrade my look"

"You are looking fine" Kihyun barely manage to say it between coughing.

"Then, we should get professional help" 

Kihyun just ignores Hyunwoo's comments as he tries to stop himself from coughing.

Changkyun wakes up to an empty space beside him. He looks around and sees the note on the night lamp. I'm out for some groceries. Don't go anywhere. Changkyun checks the watch. It's 2.30 pm. He must have fallen asleep after their passionate session this morning. He stretches his tired body and then disappears to the shower. Once he was done cleaning himself, he walks out with only a towel wrapped around his waist exposing the scar on his body. He makes his way to his reading room. He pulls out a thick file from the rack which contains all his notes from college. But, something next to it falls down. Changkyun picks it up. 

"Photo album," he said to himself. 

He takes a sit on his reading table and goes through the pictures on it. He unconsciously smiles at those pictures. It mostly contains pictures of him and Jooheon. Also, memories from his college year. On the last page, it was his picture with his late sister on his graduation day. Dasom is kissing his cheeks and he looks like he is tired from the excessive love. 

"Noona..." he touches Dasom's picture. "I think I found my way home now. This place doesn't suffocate me anymore" he subconsciously says.