Part 83

DESTINY

A few days after Hyunsoo's first birthday celebration, Kihyun starts his therapy - both physical and neuro therapy. Within only a few weeks of physical therapy, his condition improves a lot. His body balancing and motor skill are back to how they used to or maybe even better. Now, he can carry the triplet without worrying he might drop them off by accident. However, the triplet is at the phase where they are eager to explore their surroundings these days - Hyunsoo seems to be addicted to running while Hyunki and Hyunsik are completely into climbing now - making it hard for Kihyun to even hold them for more than five minutes.

"Hyunki-ah!" Sang Wook rushes to his little brother when he sees him climbing the kitchen door fence. He gently helps Hyunki to get down and bring him to the living room. "Are you looking for mama and papa? Mama has his physical therapy session today. Did you forget?"

"Mama," Hyunki said.

"Right" Sang Wook realized. "You are still sleeping when papa and mama left this morning. That's why you don't know" he added.

"Hyunsoo. Come back here" Hoseok voice can be heard in the background.

Sang Wook turn around and saw his Uncle Hoseok is chasing after Hyunsoo - he is only wearing pants. "Soo-yah," he said and Hyunsoo immediately stopped.

"I told you, didn't I? Your brother will scold you" Hoseok goes to Hyunsoo, skillfully help him putting on clothes. "Your personality change 180 after your first birthday. You used to be the calmest one among the three of you. Now, you are the most playful one" he carries Hyunsoo to Sang Wook and Hyunki who is sitting on the couch.

"Hyunsik is still sleeping?" Sang Wook asked.

"Yup. He cries when he wakes up alone, right?" Hoseok turns to look at the triplet bedroom. No sign of Hyunsik has waking up.

"Hyunsik don't cry anymore. He will just go out and start searching. The other day I was watching him. Mama's room door was closed. Papa's too. I thought he was going to cry, but he just sits there and waits until someone shows up. My little Hyunsik is growing up now" Sang Wook said as he remembers how cute Hyunsik was sitting between their parent's bedroom by himself.

"I bet you ended up watching over him all the time"

Sang Wook giggles. "He just sits there quietly until mama opens the door. Mama thought we are playing hide and seek" he moves closer to his uncle, "I think Hyunsik is the cutest among them" he whispered.

Hoseok smiles as he gives Sang Wook a pat on the back. It's quite rare for kids around Sang Wook's age to be so in love with their younger sibling. Of course, most children play well with their younger sibling - but to always talk about their younger sibling in adoration and amazement? That's the rare part. Furthermore, Sang Wook doesn't only play well or mingle well with his younger brother - he pretty much helps his parents raising them.

"Ook-ie"

"Yes, Hyunsik-ah. We are here" Sang Wook said as he waves for the youngest to come to them. He opens one arm to welcome Hyunsik as his other hand is occupied with Hyunki.

"Wah, you can call your brother's name already" Hoseok as he helps Hyunsik to climb the couch. "Aren't they are growing up too fast? I remember you take two years to even walk properly" he said to Sang Wook.

"Uncle Jooheon said babies grow faster when they are surrounded by their same-age friend. They have each other to play with, and I spend so much time with mama and papa back then. Uncle Jooheon said they are a little advance compare to their peer and it is okay" Sang Wook replied. "Also, I think it because when mama falls asleep, papa stays home a lot. Papa plays with the triplet a lot. I read that children study better with the father than the mother. When I was born, Papa is still busy adapting here. Papa was just transferred from Jeju to Seoul, right? I spent more time with mama" he explained.

Hoseok is no longer surprised at Sang Wook's knowledge. He knows very well that other than sculpturing, the boy is passionate about knowledge. There was a moment where Sang Wook's passion to learn make him feel insecure about himself. Sang Wook rarely watches children's channels either. The boy prefers watching the learning channel where he can learn a lot of things. It does not matter whether it is a criminal documentary or a historical documentary, Sang Wook watches them all. As someone who self-claim that he is the official babysitter of the Sohn-Yoo couple's children, Hoseok notices the four boys have different interest. Hyunsoo is pretty much like his older brother, but he only interested in one thing which is nature - whether it is flora or fauna, he will enjoy the shows. Meanwhile, Hyunki is more into physical activity and Hyunsik appears to be interested in music.

Hyunki suddenly gets off the couch.

"Where are you going?" Hoseok asked.

"Mama" Hyunki answered while pointing to the door.

"I don't think your mama is home yet" Hoseok put Hyunsoo down and the boy immediately dashing to the front door - Hoseok holds Hyunki's hand then they walk together to the door. Hoseok takes a look through the peek hole, he can see Hyunwoo's car is entering the front yard. "You must be special too" he mumbles as he looks at Hyunki.  He opens the door - makes sure he holds both boy's hands properly so they won't escape to the yard.

"Guess, papa and mama are home. Want to greet them?" Sang Wook said to Hyunsik.

Hyunsik makes a 'face wash' sign.

Sang Wook smiles. Among his three little brothers, Hyunsik appears to be the most fluent in sign language. Sang Wook cannot wait for Hyunsik to be able to speak properly. The fact that Hyunsik knows the exact signing for each word convinces him that Hyunsik has a better vocabulary compare to Hyunsoo and Hyunki. "Okay. Let's go to wash your face first. After that we can go greet mama and papa" he helps Hyunsik to get down from the couch. Then, they skip happily to the washroom.

Meanwhile, Kihyun makes a little run to greet his babies. Hyunwoo just let his wife be as he taking out his wife's gym bag from the car.

"Are they looking for us?" Hyunwoo asked as he approaches his family.

Hoseok simply nod. "Are you showing off since you have completed your physical therapy today?" he teases when Kihyun carries both Hyunki and Hyunsoo inside.

"Obviously. Few more sessions, I will be as muscular as you. Luckily, I am 'graduated' today" Kihyun replied as he carried both Hyunki and Hyunsoo inside.

"Take a shower. I will prepare lunch" Hyunwoo told his wife as he wraps his arm around Hoseok's wide shoulder. "Thank you for watching the kids for us. The triplet is walking now. I bet they are a handful" he said to Hoseok as they head to the living room.

"The triplet is easy to deal with. Just need to be feed on time - like their father. Trust me. Watching over Chessa is tougher" Hoseok sighed a little. Could it be because of gender differences? Because Chessa is easily sulking and hard to persuade.

Hyunwoo just smiles. Just the other day, Minhyuk was talking to him about Chessa having a short-temper these days. "What do you want to eat? I will make it for you"

"I've been craving for noodle lately"

"How about a cold noodle?" Hyunwoo suggested. "I may not as good as Kihyun, but my cooking skill has been upgraded" he added.

"Well, I am looking forward to it" Hoseok simply replied. He doesn't have even the slightest doubt about Hyunwoo's improved cooking skill because he witnesses it himself. When Kihyun was in eternal sleep, Hyunwoo tries his best to fill in the latter 'vacancy' by making a lot of homemade dishes for the children. Hoseok never personally tastes it but from what he knows, the children never complaints about the food which is a good sign.

"Though my cooking skill is improved, I am bad at multitasking. Can you help me with the kid's lunch?" Hyunwoo almost sounds like he is pleading. He opens the fridge and takes out all the ingredients he needs.

"Sure. I promise Sang Wook to make him a cheese ball. I plan to make a cauliflower mac and cheese for the triplet" Hoseok replied - taking out the groceries he bought from the paper bag he put on the kitchen counter earlier.

"Sound delicious," Hyunwoo replied as he starts preparing the ingredient for the cold noodles. "Now that Kihyun only needs to focus on his neuro therapy, I believe he will start improving soon" he randomly said.

"I heard from Changkyun that Kihyun's brain therapy progress slowly compare to his physical because he has a short focus span," Hoseok said as he starts working on the cauliflower mac and cheese.

Hyunwoo nodded, "I bet he was tired with the physical therapy so he gets easily distracted, making it hard for him to focus on the task given. No sign of injury or brain trauma in his MRI. Changkyun is not worried so I am not worried either. Hyungwon undergo brain therapy too, right?"

"Not really a therapy. More like a test. They wanted to see if the blood clot has done some hidden damage to his brain. He was brought back to life too. They are just taking precaution before letting him return to work" Hoseok explained.

"I was so occupied with Kihyun for the past few weeks. I haven't checked upon him. How about his heart?"

"It's getting better. Hyungwon is gaining control over himself again. Though, he still off duty - he currently is treating Owen at Madam Han's home. They seem to bond well with each other too. I am used to the idea that Hyungwon has no family, and seeing him with his family is a bit weird for me"

"Honestly, I didn't expect Hyungwon to return to his family" Hyunwoo sighed when he remembered what Hyungwon have been through by himself.

Hoseok smiles at the comment. "Minhyuk said Hyungwon is the type to forgive but he never forgets. I think Minhyuk is right. Hyungwon is becoming closer to Owen every day, but he still keeps his distance from Madam Han"

"It takes time to heal a broken heart. We both know that" Hyunwoo said - impliedly referring to his wife.

"I don't think it's time, Hyunwoo. It takes a specific person to make him whole again"

Hyunwoo agreed because he feels the same. After Dasom passed away, there is this hole inside him that he finds hard to fill in. Then, one day he meets Kihyun, and the hole mysteriously goes away.

During lunch...

"The preparation for Hyunki and Hyunsik's birthday celebration is almost done. I only have a few door gifts left to make" Sang Wook informed as he takes more cheese balls onto his plate.

"What did you make this time?" Kihyun is curious. Just like Hyunsoo's birthday preparation, Kihyun and Hyunwoo are secluded from involving with the preparation this time too.

"A hand clasping together. A symbolic - because Hyunki and Hyunsik share the sac in mama's womb" Sang Wook happily answered.

"From copper wire?" Kihyun asked and Sang Wook nodded. "Isn't that hard to make?" he sounds concerned about his son.

"Do you need help?" Hyunwoo asked.

"Nope. Insung hyung and Uncle Owen already helped me a lot" Sang Wook answered.

"Is Uncle Owen act fine around you?" Hoseok is curious. He met the man a few times at a work-related event because Madam Han brings Owen with her to pretty much everywhere these days - the man still appears he is not ready to be around people.

"He didn't say much. But, I think sculpturing helps him express his emotion. Art therapy always works to help to express the repressed emotion" Sang Wook answered. 

"You are spending too much time with your Uncle Hyungwon. You sound like him" Kihyun commented.

"They are the psychic duo. It's expected" Hyunwoo commented as he checking on the triplets. They are all sitting in their respective high chair and eat by themselves. Not even one interaction was exchanged between them. "They don't even look at each other when they are eating" he mumbles.

Kihyun turns to check on the triplet too. "I might be biased but I think they are the best at using utensil among their peers"

Hoseok nodded. Of course, the triplet still makes a mess - but, it is not much. The triplet only drops like 12% of their food while eating. "Chessa still makes a mess until now" he added.

"I think it's a bad habit of mine" Hyunwoo sighed a little. "I want them to be able to take care of themselves when we are not around.  I can't help but preparing them for the worst" he whispered the last part.

Kihyun reached out for his husband's hand because he can hear what Hyunwoo was saying. He just smiles at him because he understands where his husband has come from.

***********************

"Hyunsoo, do you want to come with me?" Sang Wook calls for his little brother. He waits patiently for Hyunsoo to reach him. "Do you want to help me distribute these rice cakes to our guests?" he asked.

Hyunsoo nodded as he gestured for his brother to give him some of the rice cake.

"It's okay. I will carry these. Let's just walk together. Hold my hand" Sang Wook explained gently - holding Hyunsoo's hand tightly. "Mama. Papa. I will bring Hyunsoo to greet the guest with me" he informed his parents. "Hyunsik-ah... hyung is sorry. I will give you time to calm down. I will come back later, okay?" he said gently before leaving the waiting room with Hyunsoo.

"Be careful" Kihyun said as he tries to calm down the crying Hyunsik. The triplet was roaming around freely inside the waiting room earlier. While, both Kihyun and Hyunwoo are occupied with changing Hyunki into his traditional clothes - they didn't notice Hyunsik is standing in front of the door - causing him to get hit when Sang Wook opened the door to come in. Hence, the crying episode. Sang Wook had apologized to Hyunsik, but since Sang Wook has always been so gentle with him - Hyunsik is extremely sulking about this incident that he refuses to calm down easily. "Why are you still crying? Your Okkie hyung already left because he doesn't want to make you more upset" he said as he wipes Hyunsik's tears.

Hyunki who is in his father's arm reaching out to give his younger brother a pat on the forehead. He makes a 'pain' sign.

"Yes, it is" Hyunwoo responding to Hyunki, "But, papa thinks it will not leave a bruise," he said before blowing on Hyunsik's forehead.

Hyunsik is slowly calming down.

"He's upset because it Sang Wook. I bet he doesn't even blink an eye if it's Hyunki" Kihyun replied. "These two is the epitome of 'He is mine to bully'. They always get into a fight with each other" he added as he brings Hyunsik to the changing table.

"I understand that feeling. Sang Wook is always understanding and gentle. I was so sleepy last night, and thirsty too. Sang Wook offers to take the water for me but insisted to take it myself. I accidentally push the hot water button instead of cold and Sang Wook scolded me. I was so close to throwing a tantrum at him" Hyunwoo confessed.

Kihyun laughed as he starts changing Hyunsik's clothes. "I got scolded by Sang Wook a lot - to the point I feel something is missing if I didn't get scolded by him. Sometimes I purposely make him mad"

Hyunwoo frowned at his wife. Then, he shakes his head.

During the doljabi, Hyunki and Hyunsik are quick to make their choice. It pretty much like they have discussed their pick beforehand. Hyunki picks up a toy stethoscope while Hyunsik picks up a toy syringe - which means the reaction from the crowd is reverse from Hyunsoo's first birthday celebration. 

"I can see this one will be following your step in trauma" the Minister of Health commented as he looks at Hyunki. "This one looks like he will be good at orthopedic," he said while playing with Hyunsik's hand. He plays with the babies in the stroller for a moment before he stands up and takes a look at Hyunwoo, "I heard you are going on a vacation with your wife after this"

"Yes. I haven't taken him anywhere ever since we get married" Hyunwoo replied.

"Not even when you attend a convention?" the Minister sound surprised. "I guess he is busy with his job too. Marrying a lawyer is a tough job. Let alone a criminal lawyer. It's good to know that he didn't let what he had been through stop him from standing up for what he believed" he added.

"Do you personally know my wife, sir?" Hyunwoo is curious.

"You know I was a pediatrician when I was a surgeon, right? I was the one who diagnoses him as an interse-xual. All my career he is the only interse-xual baby I ever treated. I remember him all the time. Sometimes I go around and ask about him. I heard a lot of stories which most of it is not good" the Minister put his hand on Hyunwoo's shoulder, "I know you are going to be an extraordinary surgeon from the moment you walk into my class. After Dasom left, I was worried your career would be ended. I am glad you are starting over with him"

Hyunwoo just smiles. The Minister of Health is not only his lecturer in college. Their relationship started way longer than that. The Minister is also his sponsor when he was living at the orphanage. Even after Hyunwoo move out of the orphanage, they still keep in touch with each other. However, since Hyunwooo becomes the Chief - it is hard for them to catch up with each other.

"I know you are busy. But, call me sometimes. Let's hang out together" the Minister said before bidding his farewell.

Hyunwoo turns to look at Kihyun who is sending off his colleague with Hyunsoo and Sang Wook. Thinking of what the Minister just said to him, he realized that he has not shows his wife enough appreciation. Yoo Kihyun is not only mended his broken heart but also saved his career as a surgeon. His wife is way more than just a blessing - he is his savior.

**************************

Minhyuk: Did you reach the hotel safely?

Kihyun: Yes. Hyunwoo is checking in at the counter. How is the kids? Are they looking for us?

Minhyuk: Nope. They are busy playing with each other.

"Kihyun" Hyunwoo called for his wife.

Kihyun puts his phone in his pocket as he walks to his husband. "Are you done?" he let Hyunwoo hold his hand.

"Let's go. I bet you are tired from all the standing up during the celebration" Hyunwoo said as he leads his wife to their hotel suite.

As soon as they entered the suite, Kihyun's phone vibrating again. He let go of Hyunwoo's hand, letting him bringing their luggage to the bedroom. He pulls out his phone from his pocket - Minhyuk is sending him a message again.

Minhyuk: Stay away from alcohol

Kihyun: Obviously. I still have my neuro therapy, duh.

Minhyuk: Remind Hyunwoo too

Kihyun: He's perfectly healthy to drink though

Minhyuk: I am worried you will come back from Jeju pregnant. You and Hyunwoo always ended up pregnant when one of you or both of you are drinking.

Kihyun: We are not that reckless though.

Minhyuk: Excuse me. Sang Wook is a living proof how reckless both of you can be.

Kihyun almost curses out loud when he read the text.

"What is it?" Hyunwoo asked.

"Just Minhyuk reminding me to not get pregnant" Kihyun answered honestly. "You should just change to a normal room. This suite is too big for us without the kids" he changes the topic.

"Sang Wook is right. I should pamper you more often" Hyunwoo give his wife a hug.

"You seem a little off after the celebration. Does something bothering you?" Kihyun asked.

"I just... now that I am back in Jeju, I come to the realization how much you have changed my life" Hyunwoo answered.

Kihyun hugged his husband back - tightly. He does not know why, but he can feel that Hyunwoo is being vulnerable around him at this moment. So, Kihyun hugged his husband as tight as he can to let the older man know that he can lean onto him - that he can be dependable on him too.