The Joy Villa

DESTINY

"Si Woo, come here. Help me bring the bowl to the table" Madam Na said.


Si Woo immediately goes to the kitchen, "Only three? Nana and Dayoung-ie Nuna is not eating?"


"We already eat while cooking" Madam Na answered as he watches Si Woo fanning the soup, "Is that for Daniel?" she asked.


"Yes," Si Woo answered with a smile. "Kihyun told me to make sure everything is safe for Daniel" he added before taking the three bowl to the dining room. "Daniel, here" he put a bowl in front of the latter.


"Wait" Kihyun stop Daniel from feeding himself the soup. "It's still hot," he said while fanning the bowl of soup with his tiny hand, "I told you to cool it down first" he scolded Si Woo.


"I must have given him a wrong bowl. That one is actually for you" Si Woo simply replied.


"Why is that matter? I can't feel hurt" Daniel said as he watches Kihyun changing the bowl.


"That is why it is matter," both Si Woo and Kihyun said at the same time.


"The other day you almost burn yourself because you weren't aware you are too close to the fire," Kihyun said.


"Right. You need to be careful all the time. Just because you cannot feel pain, it doesn't mean you cannot get hurt. You need to learn how to recognise danger" Si Woo added.


"Getting a little burn from a hot soup is not dangerous at all" Daniel replied.


Si Woo and Kihyun sighed.


"For someone as genius as you, you are clearly missing a point of what we are trying to say," Si Woo said.


"Guess learning about emotion is not the only thing you need. You need to learn how to apply all those knowledge in your brain into good use too" Kihyun said before he takes a seat next to Daniel.


"You act like you are his mother" Si Woo commented.


Kihyun just ignores his friend.


"Kihyun, do you know that Si Woo can transfer the sense he picks up?" Daniel asked.


"You can transfer your pain?" Kihyun is surprised.


"Well, as I grow older... my ability grows with me. I just found out about it a few days ago. I was picking up your senses, I was holding a dog at that time. The dog suddenly shrieks in pain" Si Woo explained. "Then, Nana told us she has to go and pick you up. Dayoung-ie Nuna said your mother beat you up again. Your father is out of town, that's why Nana has to go to you" he added.


"You can feel me?" Kihyun sounds upset. "My mother beat me up really bad this time. You must be in so much pain."


"The pain doesn't really bother me anymore. I don't feel as tired as I used to" Si Woo replied. "... and maybe I pick up your sense randomly because I think about you a lot. You are my first friend. You are special" he added.


"Will you think of me too when I am not around?" Daniel asked.


"I already thinking about you even when you are around. It just a matter of time you are going to hurt yourself" Si Woo answered and Daniel smile. Somehow he feels proud for successfully making Daniel's smiles.


Madam Na has no idea what the boys are talking about, but she cannot help smiling at the scene in front of her.


"I like the way they take care of each other like a real sibling," Dayoung said as she washes the dishes. "I mean it's only been two years since Daniel and I am living here. Even with my best friend at school whom I know for years, we don't take care of each other like that after knowing each other only for two years" she added. "Well, Si Woo used to watch over her sick sister. Kihyun is very good at taking care of himself because of his mother. They are just very good at giving care than I am" she mumbled to herself.


Madam Na wraps her arms around Dayoung. "Well... for someone who claims to dislike her younger brother, you really take good care of Daniel."


Dayoung smiles a little before she sighed, "... it's only us now. I don't have much choice."


"I believe one day, Daniel will be able to understand and feel real emotion. When that day comes, I bet he will be thankful and love you with all his heart. Despite his disability, Daniel really has a big heart" Madam Na said.


Dayoung takes a look at Daniel. Seeing his little brother is treated well by Kihyun and Si Woo, her heart aches remembering how the poor boy used to be treated as a science project whole his life. Unconsciously, she starts tearing.


"Is there anything bothering you? You can tell me" Madam Na said as she closes the water and makes Dayoung look at her.


"I lied to you" Dayoung breaks into tears.


Worried the boys will see them, Madam Na takes Dayoung out to the backyard of the villa. She waits patiently for the girl to calm down, as they seat next to each other at the fish pond.


"Two years ago, I... " Dayoung break the silence, "I kidnapped Daniel from a science lab" she added.


Madam Na who actually have been 'looking around' about the siblings is a bit surprised even though she already suspected something had happened. Based on her news reading, she knows that Daniel is a son of the famous scientist couple named Lee Myunghee and I'm Changsub. The couple experienced multiples time of miscarriage before they are blessed with Daniel. Even when Daniel was born, the boy had a serious health condition. He was given the title 'Miracle Baby' after he survives his rough birth's day. The hype lasted for a few weeks, and then the couple and their miracle baby just disappear from public eyes for years. Then, Daniel once again makes a headline when he is proven to have a very high IQ for his age. With Daniel's popularity, whatever the couple do become the centre of attention. Even Daniel's mother passing news and his father's got re-married to his mother's best friend become a headline. It was quite controversial since the marriage occurred shortly after the passing news. Dayoung's mother, who works as a psychotherapist, suddenly become a talked of the town too. It becomes more controversial when the couple passed away in a car accident. However, people are more focusing on the fact that the couple's children which is Daniel and Dayoung are not present at the funeral instead of the accident itself. For someone who spends most of her time reading, Madam Na recognises the siblings the moment Daniel asked help from her.


"I am sorry. I didn't mean to lie or bring trouble for you" Dayoung continued.


"It's okay, Dayoung. But do you mind telling me what happened? I can help better if I know what to do" Madam Na said.


"Daniel... " Dayoung look around, "... is not like us. He is a result of a science technology" she continued - wondering how much should she tell the caretaker. "I think you know that Daniel is not supposed to survive for more than 24 hours upon birth. It's written in the news, right?" she received a nod. "It's not a miracle. It's a serum" she whispered.


Madam Na is caught off guard.


"Daniel's mother cannot let him go, and his father just cannot see her sad again. Daniel is their last chance to become parents. So, they injected him with this one serum - an unauthorised research for the cure of degeneration disease. The serum is what fixing Daniel condition, and his parents have been secretly improving the formula... they just wanted to make Daniel as normal as they can. But... his organs and brain function may be working fine, his nervous system is - they just can't fix him."


"Are you telling me that Daniel died?" Madam Na is shocked. "I mean they cannot give him the serum if Daniel is in the hospital. Doctor and nurses will be watching him, right?"


"A second away from death. Father said they purposely asked to be left alone with Daniel when he is dying so they can give him the serum. Father said they didn't expect the serum to work, but it worked. Someone find out about this and asked Daniel's mother for a joint venture research on cell regeneration, but Daniel's mother refuses. I am suspicious that the accident has something to do with that. Especially that Daniel's father and my mother passed away not long after they got married. I have this bad feeling about my mother marrying Daniel's father from the very beginning. I mean... I was prohibited from attending a normal school. Father told me to homeschooled so Daniel will have company."


"How did you ended up kidnapping Daniel from a science lab?"


"When our parents got an accident, our nanny brings me to make facial recognition at the hospital. When I come home, Daniel is gone. I asked everyone, but no one tells me anything. One day, I heard this phone conversation... my nanny sound worried, and I heard her mentioned Daniel's name. I secretly followed her, and I found out that Daniel's is locked up in this huge, super tight security room in a science laboratory. I am not sure what they have done to him, but Daniel looks sick. They probably asked the nanny to come to watch over him" Dayoung feel upset every time she remembers Daniel's sick face. Especially when the boy who cannot feel anything is looking weak and clearly in pain just make the memories even painful. "Watching him like that, I become determined to bring him home. I sneaked in during the security rest time. I didn't know they were exposing Daniel to some bacteria, that's why I become very sick."


"They thought the serum give Daniel the ability to heal?"


"Maybe. I don't know what the serum can really do. Our family is a friend. When my father got hit by a hunk of falling concrete, he was protecting Daniel. My father suffered from a lot of internal injuries and died. Daniel takes a long time to heal, but the surgery he had doesn't even leave a scar" Dayoung shrugged.


Madam Na lost in her thought. She is used to special child like  Si Woo or Kihyun because she has met a lot of different child throughout her caretaker career. But, a child who can heal is completely a different story. Let alone a child who is a result of a hundred maybe more amount of scientific research on a run. "I think I have a friend who can help you and Daniel. It's only a matter of time for those people to trace you and Daniel here. My friend is working with the Hope Foundation. If you want, I can contact her" she suggested.


"I have heard about that organisation before. Do you think your friend can help Daniel and me, Nana?"Dayoung asked.


"I will give her a call and see what she said, okay?" Madam Na squeezes the girl's hand. "Until then, I will keep you safe here" she added. "Let's go back inside. The boys are probably wondering what we are doing here" she stands up before helping Dayoung to stand up too.


"Nuna!" Kihyun is excited.


"What is it, Kiki?" Dayoung asked as she goes to the boy.


"Daniel can describe taste well now," Kihyun said excitedly.


"He just said that the soup tastes a bit salty and quite spicy" Si Woo is excited too.


"Well, thanks to both of you who never tired to teaches him" Dayoung patted both Si Woo and Kihyun on their head. She takes a look at Kihyun who faces is still bruising from the beating a few days ago, "I am glad you can eat well despite the bruising on your face" she said to Kihyun.


"He doesn't feel that. I am the one who is feeling that for him" Si Woo replied.


"Kihyun's have no emotional illiteracy. That's why he cannot interpret his body signal well" Daniel stated. "The book says, a child who is often holding back what they feel, will lose their emotional vocabulary and making them emotional numb."


"But, I can recognise other people emotion well. You can't" Kihyun rebutted.


"I have a physical condition that is preventing me from feeling things. Yours are a psychological thing. Your mother made you this way" Daniel bluntly said.


Knowing Daniel condition well, Kihyun knows the latter has no intention to hurt his feeling. Daniel can only think logically.  Most of the time, Daniel is merely stating fact, and Kihyun should not feel upset about the truth - the truth is real even though it put us in a disadvantage. "My mother loves me" Kihyun replied.


"Is that what your mother told you?" Dayoung asked. "She beat you up because she loves you?" she sounds a little mad.


"If she doesn't love me, she would not care about me at all" Kihyun replied, innocently.


"Sometimes action speaks louder than words" Si Woo replied.


"Okay, boys. Just like you two have been teaching Daniel about taste and all... I guess I need to teach the three of you what Love is" Dayoung sound determine.


"Love is just a chemical reaction in the human body. Oxytocin is called as love hormones" Daniel said.


Dayoung facepalms her face. "You and your science nerd self can step aside, Daniel. I am going to teach you three what Love is, in a normal human context."


"I feel insulted" Si Woo pouted.


"Why? Because I said normal human context?" Dayoung asked, "You, you, you" she pointed at each boy, "never ever you settle for something ordinary in life because when God made the three of you... He gives his best, and that's why you guys are so different. God wanted the three of you to be special. It's okay if the three of you demand more in life, okay?" she continued.


"We will be a nuisance if we do that" both Kihyun and Daniel said.


"Dayoung-ie is right, boys. God made the three of you with special caution. So, never ever let people say otherwise. Okay? I know this world is about acceptance, but the most type of acceptance needed in life is self-acceptance. If you can accept who you are, no matter what others said... those words will never bother you" Madam Na said gently.


"Self-acceptance?" Si Woo frowned a little, "but, I don't want to feel everything around me forever" he sound sad.


"I will stay with you. You can pick up my sense. I don't feel correctly, so I don't feel as much as the real pain I was in" Kihyun said.


"I will too. If you picked up my sense, you wouldn't feel anything else" Daniel said.


"Really?" Si Woo sounds happy again.


"Yes, until you can control your ability... we will be with you," Kihyun said, and Daniel nodded.


"Thanks. I would appreciate that" Si Woo replied with a smile.


Madam Na and Dayoung just smile at the boys.


Madam Na cannot tell whether the good relationship of the children is because of their innocent mind or simply because a child personality is not as complex as an adult. Still, one thing for sure - after meeting these children Madam Na have realised that many people have lost a diamond which is within their grasp while searching for stones which they thought is the best for them. She also comes to realise that God really does not give people want they want, but He gives people what they need. These children are exactly what their parents need, but the parents want something more. Something which is not meant for them and ended up making these three precious souls suffered.