Part 76

DESTINY

"Your alertness level is good. Your reflex is good. You may feel find it hard to move around, and all but that's all is within expectation considering you have been sleeping for months. But, for precaution... I am admitting you to the hospital tomorrow. So, we can conduct a further test. What happened to you is quite unprecedented. Let's take all the precaution we can, okay?" Changkyun explained as he updated Kihyun's chart. 

"Sure" Kihyun answered with a hoarse voice. He's been awake for a few hours now, and still, find it hard to speak. Every time he speaks up, he sounds like he is whispering.

"I showed you some pictures, and you describe them very well too. Your speech is perfect too. I don't think you have any hidden brain injury. But, still - I am going to ask you to take some brain test" Changkyun stop writing when Kihyun holds his hand. 

"Were you... crying?" Kihyun asked as he tries to get a proper look of the neurosurgeon's face. 

Changkyun clears his throat as he focuses more on the chart rather than to Kihyun. 

"Are you okay? You are not looking at me" Kihyun asked when he received no answer. Instead of answering, Changkyun suddenly turns around and making Kihyun lose grip of the latter's hand.  "Something happened" he answered his own question. 

Changkyun takes a deep breath to calm himself down. When he turned around, Kihyun is looking at him with concerned eyes, and that look makes him remember their past - the young Yoo Kihyun who always take care of him and worried about him. "Don't look at me like that," he pleaded.

Kihyun frowned. 

For the half an hour, this is the first time Changkyun is actually looking at Kihyun in the eyes. Well, he did check his eyes dilation and all - but, this is the first time he is actually looking at the emotion in the eyes. 

"Hey... " Kihyun is caught off guard when Changkyun suddenly starts tearing as the latter is looking at him. "Come here" he called for the latter to come closer. 

Changkyun comes to Kihyun as he wipes his tears. 

"What is wrong, Changkyun-ie?" Kihyun asked as he opens his arms to hug the neurosurgeon. 

Changkyun went straight to the hug and buried his face on Kihyun chest; he can no longer withhold his tears. 

"It's okay, Changkyun-ie. You can cry as much as you want" Kihyun whispered as he pats the latter back of head gently. 

Hyunwoo, who is taking a peek at the door, decided to leave the two for some private time. 

"How is he?" Jooheon asked when he sees Hyunwoo is coming to the living room. 

"Changkyun is breaking down again" Hyunwoo answered, followed with a heavy sighed as he takes a seat next to Hoseok. "I cannot believe how fragile he has become" he mumbles. 

"What happened at Hyungwon's place? Tell me" Hoseok finally let the other two know about his curiosity. 

"Where are the kids?" Jooheon looks around. 

"The triplet is sleeping. Sang Wook, Henry and Harriet are probably doing the homework in Sang Wook's room" Hoseok answered. "Chessa is sleeping over there" he pointed at the triplet play area where Chessa is sleeping peacefully. 

"You such a superman. How can you take care of so many children by yourself?" Hyunwoo said as he is looking at the sleeping Chessa. 

"Henry and Harriet help me a lot. Sang Wook is in charge of taking care of Kihyun" Hoseok replied. "Come on. Tell me. What happened at Hyungwon's house?" he almost sounds like he is pleading. 

"Chae Si Woo, Yoo Kihyun and Im Daniel is a childhood friend" Hyunwoo blurts out. "Kihyun's parents have been sponsoring this one charity house, and even after the charity house is closed, the caretaker keeps watching over Kihyun every time she needs to. Apparently, Kihyun's mother had some mental disorder and kept trying to causing hurt to Kihyun every time she had the chance. Then, you remember that Hyungwon parents send him away for being clairsentient, right?" he asked to Hoseok. 

"Of course, I do. That incident is the reason why we are this mess" Hoseok replied. 

"The nanny is the caretaker," Jooheon said. 

Hoseok becomes wide-eyed. "You mean the caretaker who has been watching over Kihyun is the same nanny who takes care of Hyungwon when he was a child?" 

"You think that's shocking? Listen to this. The caretaker found Changkyun and Dasom on the street and shelter them" Hyunwoo added. 

"What?" Hoseok looks at Jooheon. Then looking back at Hyunwoo. "I always thought you are meeting Kihyun is 'you have no idea what kind of plan life have for you'. But, these three is actually a childhood friend and failed to recognize each other is another level of a 'you have no idea what kind of plan life have for you'. Scary" he added. "Wait... " he turns to look at Hyunwoo, "what do you mean he has become so fragile?" 

"Ah, I was talking about Changkyun. When he was a child, he has this neurological disorder and it makes him insensitive to pain or any sensation. There is something happened that lead to their separation... Changkyun sort of had a spontaneous regression during that time and able to feel like normal people do" Hyunwoo briefly explained. "Spontaneous regression is a term we used to explain the unexplainable event in medical" he added.

"What happened?" Hoseok asked. 

"Don't know. Hyungwon refuses to tell the details. He said he would tell us after Changkyun calms down later" Jooheon answered. "Now that I think about it... I met Changkyun when we were 15. He does lack of emotional responses at that time. Even before the fire incident in Seattle, I was always a little afraid of fire. I remember he was standing too close to the fire camp that our teacher went frantic over him, but he wasn't reacting at all." 

"Is that when you fall in love with him?" Hoseok mindlessly asked. 

"That's a misconception. We don't start dating at age 15. We get to know each other at 15 years old and only starts dating five years later. It takes three years for him to open up for me" Jooheon explained. "I work so hard to be his friend. Falling in love is a bonus" he added as he reminisces the past in the back of his mind. "I still find it hard to believe that he was completely numb when he was a child" he mumbles. 

"He still looks pretty numb to me" Hoseok mumbles too. 

"He is full of emotion when he is with me though. You should have seen him smiles when we are together" Jooheon replied. 

"Don't fight, guys" Hyunwoo interrupted. "Were you in the room when my wife wakes up?" he asked. 

"Yup," Hoseok nodded. Then, the scene from earlier is playing in his mind. "It's kind of weird though. I mean Sang Wook was alone with Kihyun in the room. I was with the kids here. Hyunsoo and Hyunsik got a fight, and that leads to a crying event. The usual. Sang Wook suddenly asks me to let them cries near Kihyun. Then, he opens his eyes. I was so shocked that I don't notice when actually Sang Wook bring Hyunki to the room. It was quite impressive. I can actually see Kihyun's eyes is gaining its focus before he suddenly blinks." 

"What so weird about that?" Jooheon asked. 

"It's weird because of how can Sang Wook know it would work. I mean that boy look so confident when he told me to not soothes Hyunsoo and Hyunsik. It would be best if you watched him" Hoseok answered. 

"Maybe Dasom is telling him about it in his dream again" Hyunwoo simply replied. "I never let the triplets cries near Kihyun. Changkyun said Kihyun is responsive to his surrounding. I don't want to stress him out"

"Actually, about that... " Jooheon suddenly sound careful. "Harriet think Sang Wook is special like Hyungwon. Henry is worried if Sang Wook has a brain problem because he keeps spacing out these days." 

"Harriet told me that too. She thinks Sang Wook is clairvoyance. I don't know what that is" Hoseok added before he suddenly gasped. 

"What?" both Jooheon and Hyunwoo is concerned. 

"I overhead the kids are talking. I heard Sang Wook told Henry and Harriet that he sees the young version of you and Kihyun in his daydream. By the way, they are talking, and it sounds like they are pretty sure that was a vision" Hoseok said. 

"Have you meet him before?" Jooheon asked. 

"Kihyun?" Hyunwoo shakes his head. "I attended an all-boys school. We don't attend the same university" he added. 

"Your wife is an interse-x. He can attend all-boys school too" Jooheon and Hoseok said at the same time. 

"I know. But, Kihyun attended a co-ed school. Next to..." Hyunwoo paused. 

"Next to what?" Hoseok asked. 

Jooheon already knows the complete sentence, he just smiles. "Kihyun attended a co-ed school next to his school," he said before laughing a little. "At this rate, I am going to believe my daughter suspicion that your son is a psychic just like his Uncle Hyungwon," he said to Hyunwoo who still looks like he gets his mind-blowing. 

Meanwhile... 

"Hyungwon conducted a tracking on you today" Changkyun is trying to stop himself from sobbing. "He wanted to see what happened on the cruise because we are so sure what happened in the accident is triggering a memory from that explosion and send you to a... we believe that was the cause for your system to lagged" he explained. He takes a deep breath before continue, "he... he sees something else too." 

"Did he see how Dasom died? Is that why you are so sad?" Kihyun guessed. 

Changkyun nodded. "The result of the investigation stated that the explosion is under or very near to her room. But, I refuse to believe that is her cause of death and I was right. She did not die in that explosion." 

Kihyun just waits patiently until Changkyun is ready to talk about it. He knows very well that Dasom's death is a weighty and painful topic for the latter. He understands that feeling very well because he feels the same way with his daughter's death. It just he can handle his feeling and thought better because he has a proper closure with his baby girl.  

"She died because she let go of you. She let herself sink to the bottom of the ocean because she is diagnosed with cancer" Changkyun eventually find the strength to say it out loud. "You wasn't with your parents. They weren't protecting you as Yeojoo told you when she abducted you. You were with my sister. You shielded her with your very own body because you thought she was pregnant. She thought she was pregnant, but she wasn't. You were badly injured, and she feels responsible for saving you. There is no way she can get help on the cruise, so she takes you out from the cruise and swims away before the cruise is completely destroyed. That's how you become the sole survivor. A fisherman boat found you and they bring you to the harbour" 

"I am so sorry" Kihyun know there is nothing he can say to make Changkyun feel better, but he says it anyway. 

Changkyun holds Kihyun's hand before shaking his head. "No, you have nothing to be sorry for. You tried to keep her safe, but she gives up" he forces a smile, "I am the one who should be sorry" he starts tearing again. 

Kihyun squeezes Changkyun's hand as a gesture of support. Watching the latter crying, make him feel like crying too. "What are you sorry for? You never hurt me, Changkyun."

"I did. When we were a kid, you got hurt for me" Changkyun said. Kihyun might be thinking that he was crying because of Dasom's death, but the truth is he is in crying mess right now because Hyungwon tells him what actually happened when they were children. If Hyungwon is feeling guilty towards Kihyun for almost sending him to eternity sleep, Changkyun is now feeling guilty for what happened in the past. The fact that he lives his life well after the incident just makes him feel even worst. 

"What are you talking about?" Kihyun asked. 

"Joy Villa. Do you still remember your time living there?" 

"How do you know about that?" Kihyun is starting to frown. "I never tell Hyunwoo about it. I did tell Hoseok, but I never mentioned the name" he look at Changkyun's face and observing every inch of the latter face. It clicked in his mind. 

Changkyun noticed the expression change on Kihyun's face and nodded. "The Hope Foundation helped my sister and me to change our name and start afresh after the incident. We come to see Si Woo after that... to bid our farewell. He told us you died. We even had a funeral ritual for you."

"Wait a minute" Kihyun suddenly feel overwhelming. He unconsciously starts tearing, cupping Changkyun's face in the process. "You are that Daniel?" he asked - sobbing. 

Changkyun nodded as he starts to cries harder again. "I may lose my high IQ, but I own an EQ now. I can smiles when I want to. I can cries when I feel too; I feel everything now. I don't step on broken glass and walking around with foot bleeding anymore" he said in between sobbing. 

"I am so happy for you" Kihyun pull Changkyun into a hug. He cries hard—happy tears. 

"Remember when I just wake up from my coma, and you are the only face I recognize?" Changkyun asked, and Kihyun nodded without letting him go, "I know the reason now. That's because you are my guardian angel. You protected me when we got abduction back then. You have been taking care of me since the very first day we meet. There is no way my unconscious mind will forget your kindness." 

Kihyun breaks into smiles despite his crying mess, "and I know why you radiate such comforting energy when I feel unwell. It because you always comfort me when I come to the villa. My muscle memory must remember you. Every single time when I come to the villa, I will come with an injury, and you always take care of me because Si Woo couldn't come closer" he let go of Changkyun, sending him a question with his eyes. 

"He is that Si Woo" Changkyun answered in affirmative. 

Kihyun ended up crying harder. 

"Your mother is lying to you, Kihyun. Si Woo did protect you, but he didn't die" Changkyun tell the latter. "You already know this when you had a talked with my sister on the cruise. You forgot about it because Yeojoo brings you to have your memories altered. You know what? It was Dr Jee. Your ex-girlfriend brings you to meet Dr Jee to alter your memories. He cannot alter it completely because Si Woo is one of your strongest memory, so he put it in the archives file." 

"The Joy Villa is the only childhood I have. I was happy when I was there, with you guys" Kihyun mumbles as he tries to control himself. 

Changkyun wipes away Kihyun's tears using his thumb. 

Both of them ended up staring at each other in silence as they try to calm down. 

***************************

Hyungwon is standing near the window, holding a mug filled with water. He keeps looking at the night sky trying to breathe properly. 

"Maybe you should sit down," Minhyuk said as he takes the mug from Hyungwon and places it at the nearby table. He then put his hand on top of Hyungwon's heart. "Your heart isn't racing. Why are you breathless? Do you feel any discomfort?" he asked - genuinely concerned. 

Hyungwon wraps his arms around Minhyuk before he pulls the latter into a hug. "It's them, Minhyuk." 

"Who?" Minhyuk looks up to look at Hyungwon's face. 

"Yoo Kihyun and Im Changkyun" Hyungwon answered before he put his head on Minhyuk shoulder, hugging him tighter. "When I was a child, I couldn't control what I feel... I passed out so many times from being overwhelming with all the sensation I picked up. Then, I met Kihyun and Changkyun. Two people who are invulnerable to pain. They told me to only focus on them when we are together, so I don't get tired. Tonight, both of my shields are flooded with emotion... it makes me happy that they are normal now. I am so happy and touched, and it kinda hurts in a good way" 

"Kihyun used to have a neurological condition too?" Minhyuk asked. 

"No. But, his emotional development is stunted. The lack of loves and care from his parents make him that way. He wasn't able to interpret the sensation he feels correctly because of that. His condition improves - still doesn't interpret very well though" 

"Is it possible that is the reason he wasn't aware that he is pregnant until he entered his second trimester? I mean, the first one... if he didn't almost get that miscarriage, I pretty sure he wouldn't realize he is pregnant until the baby starts kicking at all. The second one, he finds out that he is pregnant when he is reaching his third trimester." 

"Could be" Hyungwon answered as he let go of Minhyuk. "Thank you" he blurts out while looking at Minhyuk. 

"For what?" 

"After what happened with Kihyun and Changkyun in the past... and my family, you are the one who makes me want to be around people again," Hyungwon said before he gives Minhyuk pats on the head. "Go to sleep. You have work tomorrow" he added before leaving the latter and head to his room. 

Minhyuk just looks at Hyungwon walking away from him. He smiles a little, "He's back. My Chae Hyungwon is really back".