Part 42

DESTINY

5 hours since the admission...

After meeting his patients, Hyungwon leaves his office and heads to the obstetrics and gynaecology department. Since he does not know which ward or bed Kihyun is in, he goes to the counter to get the information. "I'm looking for Yoo Kihyun," he told the nurse and wait patiently as she searched for him on the computer. 

"The patient is in Room 3. It's over there, right in front of the fire door"

Hyungwon thanked the nurse and leave in the direction she was pointing. When he opens the door, Kihyun is laying on his side with his back facing the door. For a moment Hyungwon is debating in his mind should he just come back later or should he wake him up. After a moment of pondering, Hyungwon decided to enter the ward. If Kihyun is actually sleeping, he will just leave and come back later. However, the closer he is, the clearer he can hear the heavy breathing. He comes to notices Kihyun's body is actually tense. He approaches the bed quickly. Kihyun is grabbing to the bed rail, eyes closed in pain. 

Hyungwon presses the alert button on the wall and rushes to the other side of the bed. He kneels down to match Kihyun eye level and he sees Kihyun's health bracelet is blinking. "Is it your chest?" he asked and receives a head shake. Hyungwon instinctively lifted up the blanket and he saw the wet spot on the bed. "I think this patient is in labour," he said to the nurse who is about to enter the ward. She immediately leaves without saying anything. 

"Hurts" Kihyun finally manage to say something. He was actually trying to reach out for the alert button for hours, but every time he tries to move he can feel the pain is getting stronger. In fact, he can feel the babies dropped too. He ended up stop moving and hope for the contraction to stop or someone will walk in. 

"Minhyuk will be here" Hyungwon whisper. He's rubbing the baby bump hoping to lessen the pain a little. 

Minhyuk entered the ward with a nurse following him from behind. He pulls the ultrasound machine closer to the bed. While he set up the machine, Hyungwon and the nurse carefully help Kihyun to lay on his back. He quietly scans the babies and found out that one of the amniotic sacs is already broke. "Page Dr. Lee Jooheon, told him we are having a premature birth. I don't think we have enough time to move him so bring the equipment here" he told the nurse and she left instantly. When Minhyuk checks for the dilation, he mentally swears as it is already complete. "Kihyun..." he tries to get his friend's attention. Kihyun is crying so much that he isn't sure he will be listening to him but he talks to him anyway. "You are in so much pain right now because the baby is ready. The pressure you are feeling is the baby head" 

"You said I wasn't in labour" Kihyun sound a little mad. 

"It's rapid labour. This isn't possible to predict until it's happening" 

"Stop it" Kihyun is trying his best to catch his breath. 

"I can try for baby B. But, baby A is coming right now. I need you to scoop over to the end of the bed" Minhyuk said as he removed the bed handle. 

Kihyun groans as he tries to sit up. The movement is making the pressure in his lower body worse. 

"This bed isn't designed for childbirth. I need you to sit behind him" Minhyuk told Hyungwon as he lowered the bed. 

Hyungwon isn't very sure what Minhyuk want him to do but he nods nevertheless. 

Minhyuk offered his hand for support and Kihyun grab it as he struggles to move forward, ended up sobbing harder. 

"It will be over soon," Minhyuk said as he rubs Kihyun's back to soothe him down. 

Hyungwon who was having a mental buffering, mindlessly climb the bed. Carefully spreading his leg so Kihyun can sit in between them without accidentally kicking the labouring man. He comes back to reality when Kihyun is leaning to his chest. It's almost like he can feel the latter anxiety from having no control over what happening to his body from the contact. "It's ok. We are here for you" he whispers as he let Kihyun hold of his hand. 

"You need to calm him down, Hyungwon. If he is tense, the baby won't come out easily and the second amniotic sac might burst. I want this end quickly so I can stop the labour from progressing" Minhyuk explains.

When Jooheon enters the ward, he feels like he got ambushed by the enemy. The nurse does tell him that he is needed for premature birth, but he never expected it is for Kihyun. "What is happening?" he approaches the bed. Heartaches from seeing Kihyun crying as he fights off the pain. 

"Rapid labour. We need to move fast before baby B is ready too" Minhyuk said as he takes a seat in between Kihyun legs.

At the same time, the nurses come back with the equipment. He let them set that equipment in the ward as he patiently waits for Kihyun to be ready to push. Though he wants this to end fast, rushing Kihyun is not a choice. 

Kihyun is too busy breathing to pay attention to what is happening. All he can think about is the increased burning sensation between his leg. It's a of pure luck he manages to remember his Lamaze class in this chaos. 

Jooheon wipes away the tears on Kihyun's face. Meanwhile, Hyungwon is busy whispering encouraging words to Kihyun. 

"I'm feeling everything" Kihyun whines. Face buried in between the psychiatrist neck and shoulder. The last time he was in labour, he was given a painkiller. Not epidural but good enough to reduce the pain. This time he is not on any medication and the fact he can feel everything happening in his body is making it hard to calm down. The contraction is coming stronger this time and he failed to control his vocal. 

"Don't fight it, Kihyun. You will feel better if you push" Minhyuk told the lawyer who was still in a refusal of his labour. He lifted up the blanket a little. Just enough to let him see what is happening down there. 

Jooheon holds Kihyun's left leg and a nurse hold the right one. They make sure to keep the leg spread wide enough for the baby, but, not too much so they don't hurt Kihyun. 

"That's it. You are doing great" Hyungwon is too focus on Kihyun that he isn't even aware of the latter is crushing his hand.

After five continuous pushings, Kihyun slump back to Hyungwon body. Breathless. "Stop hurting me, baby" he mumbles. With the contraction temporarily stop, his health bracelet suddenly beeping. 

"Heartbeat is raising" Jooheon sound concerned. 

"On the next contraction, I want you to breathe your baby out. Don't hold your breath" Minhyuk even shows him how to do it. "Imagine the baby is moving out as you exhale, ok?" he changes the pushing technique so they won't stress Kihyun's heart. "Somebody help me inform the cardio to stand by," he said to one of the nurses. 

"I want this to stop" Kihyun burst into another tear. No matter how hard he pushes, the baby keeps trying to come back in and it makes him frustrated. The pressure is becoming more unbearable and his baby is not cooperating with him. "I want to go home" 

"You will. Just focus on the baby first, ok?" Hyungwon whisper. 

"I want to go home now" Kihyun is obviously isn't aware of what he saying. 

"His heartbeat is on borderline" Jooheon says as he focuses on the health bracelet.

"The baby?" Minhyuk asked. Too busy preventing the baby from sliding back inside to check it himself.  

"No sign of distress" Jooheon answered. When he accidentally looks down, he unconsciously says his gratefulness for being born as a male. The view of the baby head slowly sliding out is making him dizzy so he focuses on the health bracelet again. 

"Breath out...breath out..." remind Hyungwon as he tries to stop Kihyun from squirming away. 

"Don't move, Kihyun. It's the baby head, almost out" said Minhyuk as he helps to stretch the tight muscle around the baby head. 

"Do you hear that? Keep breathing, the baby is almost here" Hyungwon said. 

Kihyun gasped when the baby suddenly turning. The burning sensation intensified and he ended up screaming. He reminded me of how Dasom was stuck in his birth canal and it makes him panic. Especially when he can feel Minhyuk hand is working around his opening. "Let me go" he struggles to break free but Hyungwon is holding him down. "I don't want to do this. Please...let me go" he pleaded. Sobbing. 

"Kihyun, Kihyun" Hyungwon hold Kihyun as tight as he can. Kihyun is still squeezing his hand, despite his attempt to break free. "It's not stuck. The baby is coming" Hyungwon said as if he can read Kihyun's mind. He guides Kihyun's hand to the baby head. "It's coming. See, I am not lying. You are bringing the baby out" 

The moment he touches the baby head, Kihyun stop crying instantly. "Baby..." he leans back to Hyungwon as he tries to focus again. 

"Yes, it's a baby and it's yours" Hyungwon replied. Letting Kihyun holding his hand again. 

"His heartbeat is becoming irregular" Jooheon informed. "Page cardio" the moment Jooheon said that Sunho walks in. 

"Tell him to cough" Sunho entrance makes everyone paused for a moment. "You asked for a standby. That's why I come" he briefly explains as he stands next to the bed. "Kihyun-ah, your heartbeat is high because you are in distress. Can you cough for me?" he said gently but loudly. Calmly checking Kihyun's pulse. "Force coughing for me please," Sunho said again. During a sudden abnormal heart rhythm, it may be possible for a conscious and responsive person to force coughing to maintain enough blood flow to the brain and remain conscious until the problem is treated. He's only doing this to buy time for Minhyuk to deliver the baby safely before Kihyun condition worsen. 

"Stay with me," Hyungwon said when he feels Kihyun is becoming limp against him. 

"I don't feel good" Kihyun whispers. He forces himself to cough and it makes him dizzy. 

"Push one more time for me" Minhyuk have no choice but to use a little force to pull the baby out. Kihyun listens to him and this is one thing Minhyuk like about him compared to his other patient. It doesn't matter how much in pain he is, Kihyun will always cooperate with him. His cooperation and obedience are the only reason Kihyun manage to give birth to Dasom without surgery. Once the shoulder pop out, the whole baby just slides out from Kihyun. "It's out. The baby is here" Minhyuk announced. He cut the umbilical cord and give the baby to Jooheon. He didn't even check on the baby as he rushes to start a procedure to stop the labour. 

"Go" Kihyun wanted Hyungwon to watch the baby for him, but all he managed to say is 'go' before Sunho put on an oxygen mask on him. 

"Breath through this. It will help you feel better" said Sunho.

Hyungwon slowly gets off the bed to let Sunho start his treatment to stabilize Kihyun's heartbeat. He takes a look at Minhyuk. The ob-gyn is trying his best to stop the labour from progressing. Looking at how everyone is focusing on what they have to do, Hyungwon decides to stay. He refuses to leave Kihyun alone, so he kneels beside the bed. Holding Kihyun's hand tightly and patting his head. Gently telling him to breathe through the oxygen mask. 

"I'm taking him to the NICU" Jooheon announced and left the room. 

"Do you hear that? You have a son" Hyungwon said. 

Kihyun turns to look at Jooheon who is leaving with his baby. He didn't really see his baby, but he can see how small he is in the bassinet.

"What?" Hyungwon moves closer to listen to what Kihyun is saying as the latter is struggling to breathe. 

"What is it?" Sunho is curious.

"He wants his husband" Hyungwon answered. 

Other than the sound of the medical equipment, the ward is silent.