Part 59

DESTINY

"Hello, Si Woo" Changkyun greet is patient as he walks into the ward. "It's a brand new day. The sun is rising. What do you say if we go for a morning walk?" he said. Hyungwon just look at him blankly. "Come on, I'm quite excited that the nano device is here, which mean you can have your surgery soon. So, let's go for a walk" he forcefully drag Hyungwon out from the bed. 

At the park, they spend a five minutes walk before resting on the bench. Hyungwon haven't come out for quite some time and it makes him a little anxious being in an open space. Changkyun knows the latter is uncomfortable in the crowd, so he choose to sit on the bench which is far away from the others. They spend two minutes sitting on the bench without talking to each other. 

"I feel like I have been here" Hyungwon said as he touches the bench. 

"This is where you open my Pandora box" Changkyun blurts out. "Nothing" he quickly said when Hyungwon turn to look at him. "How do you feel about your surgery, Si Woo?" 

"Nervous. You said I might not wake up ever again" 

"You don't have to do it just because I said you should. You are a free man, Si Woo. You are allowed to have your own opinion" Changkyun replied.

"But, I trust you"

"Don't trust me too much, Si Woo. I'm just a human being like you. I make mistakes too" Changkyun said as he takes a deep breath. 

"Among the doctors I have ever meet, you are the only who really care"

"You said yes because I care?"

Hyungwon nodded. "We treat things we care with caution"

"Do you mind telling me about your previous doctor? All of them" Changkyun asked. 

Hyungwon give it a thought. "They are all so mean. They loves to yell and scold me. I hate the hospital so much. I like the doctor in the Hope Foundation, though. It just that they don't care as much as you do"

"Si Woo, is it ok if we talk about what happen yesterday?" Changkyun asked. 

"You mean Hyunwoo's wife?" Hyungwon answered with another question. 

"Yes, Hyunwoo's wife. How do you know him?" 

"I don't. I think I dream about him before. I mean hallucinating about him before. My doctor said he wasn't real. I need to stop communicating with him if I want to get better" 

"What was the hallucination is about?" 

"I don't know. It's just like I was seeking for help, I think"

"Si Woo, how do you get into the accident?" 

"I don't know" 

Changkyun frowned. Something is not right here. "Do you have no memory about the accident at all?"

"I don't remember things well. You know that" 

"Do you remember what you are doing in the countryside?" 

Hyungwon shakes his head and starts fidgeting. 

Changkyun holds Hyungwon's hand. "It's ok. I am here. No one can hurt you" hoping it will help Hyungwon to calm down. "Let's go back inside, ok? You need to rest" he said. 

After Changkyun send Hyungwon back to his ward, he rushes to the his lab. He search for Hyungwon's medical file, Chae Si Woo actually. He goes through it and mentally cursing at himself. "You are an idiot, Im Changkyun. How can you miss this?" 

Kihyun walk out from his room after taking a shower and goes to check on the triplet. He panicked when he sees all three bed is empty. "Hyunwoo!" he calls for his husband as he rushes to his room. He didn't even knock on the door as he usually did. "Hyun..." he paused. The moment the door is open, he can see his husband his sleeping with the triplet. Hyunsoo is on his left, Hyunki is on his right, and Hyunsik is snuggling on his chest. Kihyun let out a relieved breath. 

"What's wrong mama?" Sang Wook shows up behind him while rubbing his eyes. 

"Nothing. I'm just... it's nothing. Did I wake you up?" Kihyun kneel to meet his son's eyes level. 

"Were you looking for them? Papa brings them to his room because they refuse to sleep. I guess papa forget to leave you a note like I told him to" Sang Wook explained. 

"He should wake me up" Kihyun mumbles to himself. "Do you want to go back to sleep?" he asked. 

"No, I want to help you make breakfast. I missed cooking with you" 

"Ok, then. Let's go and wash your face" Kihyun walk his son to the washroom. 

Sang Wook sit on the kitchen counter as he watches his mother preparing ingredients for fish cake soup. "Mama, Dasom-ie visited me last night"

Kihyun paused. They actually had sent Sang Wook to a sleep therapy before, because of his frequent dreaming of Dasom. Luckily, the therapist said it was nothing to worry about. Some twins do have a stronger bond than the other. This 'special bond' between Sang Wook and Dasom will eventually stop as Sang Wook grow up. It's got something to do with the innocence of a child, but Kihyun wasn't really focusing after the therapist said Sang Wook mental health is great. That's all he needs to know anyway. "Were you guys having fun?" he asked as he failed to think a better way to respond.

"Dasom-ie..." Sang Wook wonder if he should tell his mother the truth or should he just make up something else. He started this topic without thinking much about it. 

"Dasom-ie is what, Sang Wook-ah? Did you forget your dream?" Kihyun asked as he continues cooking. 

"Dasom-ie said someone is holding a grudge against Uncle Hyungwon. Uncle Hyungwon is suffering because someone is hurting him. Everything Uncle Hyungwon know is a lie. She told me to always remember it's completely the opposite" Sang Wook tell the truth. "Dasom-ie don't talk to me unless she have too, mama. The last time she talks to me was before you give birth to Hyunsoo. She told me that mama will be in danger if Hyunsoo stays longer inside mama. I told Hyunsoo to come out early"  

Kihyun froze, trying to maintain his composure. 

"Mama, when will the twins come out?"

"They will come out when they are ready" 

"Baby-ah, do you hear that? If you are ready, you can come out anytime you want" 

Kihyun got a goosebump when he remembers the conversation from the morning he had the rapid labor. He turned to look at his son who is staring back at him. He washes his hand and dries them. He picked up Sang Wook and make him sit on the chair. He takes a seat next to him. "I actually have a question for you. It's about the funeral you attended with Harriet and Uncle Hyungwon" 

Sang Wook is all ears. 

"At the cemetery, was there anyone come to talk to Uncle Hyungwon or to both of you?" Kihyun asked. 

Sang Wook ponder on the question for a moment. "The other just looks at us weirdly, then... this one uncle come and give Harriet a handkerchief. We said we don't take anything from strangers. He said he is Uncle Hyungwon's family. So, we take it. But, never use it. There was another burial that day. Someone passed out there and everything becomes chaotic. We lose the handkerchief without we realize it" Sang Wook suddenly left the chair and run to his room. He comes back with a sketch book. "I draw his face" he said and let his mother see it. 

"Can I take a picture of this?" 

"Of course. It's just my exercise drawing of a real person's portrait. I'm not going to publish this. It's not good" Sang Wook said. 

"It's great, Sang Wook. You should have seen my drawing" Kihyun replied as he takes a picture of the drawing with his phone. "So, there is no one know that Uncle Hyungwon attending his parents funeral?" he asked after sending the picture to someone. 

"I don't think so. Nobody talk to us" Sang Wook answered. 

They can hear someone is entering the front door. Changkyun shows up in the kitchen a moment later with a few take out coffee in his hand. 

"Good morning, uncle" Sang Wook greet his uncle cheerfully.

"Good morning, Sang Wook" Changkyun said as he put down the drinks on the table. He takes out a kiwi juice and gives it to Sang Wook. "This is for you" he said. 

"I will drink this later" Sang Wook take the drink and put it in the fridge. "I will go check if papa is already awake" he said and left the kitchen. 

"Breakfast is almost ready. Let's eat together" Kihyun offered. 

"It's more like a lunch" Changkyun replied as he takes a seat. "I can stay and I have something to tell you" he said. 

"Go ahead" Kihyun said as he stands up to check on the soup. 

"I have a conversation with Hyung... Si Woo" Changkyun just glad that Sang Wook is not around. "Si Woo said something this morning and it makes me think. So, I make a little research and I don't like what I found" 

"What is that?" Kihyun ask as he serves the breakfast. 

"The medical record we got from the Hope Foundation was fake. I called the hospital and they never even had treated a hit-and-run victim. It was a family hospital in a small village. Their patient is mostly a pregnant woman. A hit-and-run victim would be an highlight.  The doctor who signed the documentation is not even existed. All the doctor who has checked on Si Woo make their evaluation according to the fake record, including me. That's why we all come out with an almost similar conclusion. Si Woo is unfixable. But, after knowing all those documents were fake, I study his case all over again. You know what I found?" 

Kihyun just stop and stare. 

"His brain injury is not caused by external factors. It was caused by internal stimuli. Someone is tampering with his memory, Kihyun. The over stimulation of his brain is causing the bruises, untreated bruise lead to the formation of the clot" Changkyun sound devastated. "He said you was real yesterday is because he was told you are his hallucination. He said in his hallucination he was asking a help from you. His subconscious mind is trying to tell him something. Whoever these people are, they deleted you, all of us from his memory"

"Everything Uncle Hyungwon know is a lie" 

Kihyun feel another goosebump. "The Hope Foundation never checked if the record was real in the first place?"

"I called. Apparently, the previous chairman was fired for not doing his job properly" Changkyun sighed. "I told you because I know you are trying to track his whereabouts. The countryside is a wrong lead" Changkyun added. 

Kihyun was about to explain about his finding when he sees Hyunwoo is walking into the kitchen with Hyunsik in his arms. He smiles at his husband as he waits for Hyunwoo to come to him, got a little taken aback when Hyunwoo give him a kiss. 

"Excuse me" Changkyun said as he clears his throat. 

"I'm aware you are there" Hyunwoo casually replied as he pass Hyunsik to Kihyun. "He wakes up from being hungry" he said to his wife and naturally continue serving the breakfast. 

Hyunsik is babbling in his mother's arms. 

"Wait... wait..." Kihyun untied his apron before using it to cover himself as he feed Hyunsik. He takes a seat as he makes Hyunsik comfortable in his arms. 

Changkyun got worried when he sees Kihyun look like he is in pain. 

"He's teething" Kihyun informed. 

"You are feeding Hyunsoo and Hyunki too?" Changkyun asked as he frowned in pain. 

"The other two prefer to be bottle feed than latching" Kihyun answered as he smiles. He finds Changkyun reaction is cute. 

Sang Wook entered the kitchen as he helps Hyunsoo to walk. 

"Oh my god, you are walking" Changkyun said as he left his chair and goes to lift up Hyunsoo. He hugs the baby tightly as he bring him back to his chair.

"He can walk with help, uncle" Sang Wook said proudly. 

"I sometimes forget he is a month older than the other two" Changkyun said as he look at the baby, amazed. "Do you know you used to be a size of a peanut?" he said and Hyunsoo chuckles. 

Hyunwoo and Kihyun exchange a quick look with each other. They can't help but laughed a little at Changkyun reaction to his nephew. 

When Hoseok reached the ward, a nurse was checking on Hyungwon. He greets the nurse as he entered the ward. 

"You don't usually come on Sunday, Lawyer Lee" the nurse smiles.

"It's Dr. Lee turn to watch over Chessa today"

"So sweet. I wish my husband would like to take turn too" the nurse sighed. "By the way, Dr. Im taking him out for a walk this morning. He falls asleep, probably tired from the morning walk" 

"How is he? I heard there were situation yesterday" 

"He shows symptoms of remembering. Dr. Im told me to keep monitor him closely because it's seems like his headache is getting frequent" the nurse explained. "I think the surgery will be schedule within this few days. The device come last night and I hear Dr. Im was practicing with it whole night" he added. 

"He is really a man who doesn't sleep, isn't he?" 

"He is. Sometimes I'm worried he will pass out from exhaustion. But, most of the time I wonder how can he still looks so good with those sleepless nights. I had a 56 hour shift once, and I don't look human at all. I become a mix of a panda and a slot" the nurse said as she finishing up her work. "I will come again within two hours. Let me know if you need anything or notice any changes" she then left the ward. 

Hoseok sits on the chair beside the bed. He watches Hyungwon sleeping face closely. He slowly reaches out for Hyungwon's hand. "It will be nice if you wake up and suddenly remember everything, Hyungwon-ah. What had happened to you? The more I dig into it, the more it didn't make any sense" he unconsciously playing with Hyungwon's hand. "Yesterday, I was playing with Chessa. She can talk well now. So, she tells me she like how you play with her. She said I play roughly. She's grown up a lot since the last time you see her. Do you know that she always gets into trouble during meal time these days? Minhyuk always scolded her for leaving a portion of her food untouched. She did that for months, and just yesterday she told us that she was leaving them for you. She said 'baba don't each much, baba only eat this much'. It's been awhile, Hyungwon. But, she keeps thinking about you everyday. She's the sweetest, isn't she?" his tears start to fall. He let go of Hyungwon's hand and turn around to wipe his tears. When he turns back, Hyungwon is awake and looking at him. Hoseok smiles at him. "Did you sleep well?" 

"Why are you talking to me like that?" Hyungwon asked as he pushes himself to sit down. 

Hoseok frowned. 

"Why am I here?" Hyungwon get off from the bed and goes to the window. "Hoseok-ah, why am I in the hospital?" he asked. For no reason, he checks his chest. "Am I here because of my heart? But, isn't this neurology department?" 

Hoseok stands up and goes to the tall man. "Tell me your name first" 

Hyungwon look at the latter with a confusion. 

"Tell me your name" Hoseok sound desperate. 

"Chae Hyungwon" Hyungwoon is a little taken aback.

"What is your job?" Hoseok asked. 

"I pretty sure I have a medical license to practice in psychiatry, both clinical and forensic. What are you doing, Seok-ie?"

Seok-ie. That's how Hyungwon call him when they are alone. Hoseok can't help, but throw himself to the tall man. "You are back" he said while holding his tears.