Part 64

DESTINY

"I can't believe you managed to do this" Prosecutor Kwak said as he stopped the voice recording. "He made this statement under drug influence, the defense counsel will easily dismiss this. We cannot submit this as evidence" he return the phone to Kihyun. "Do you think Owen Gray is telling the truth or is that just the drug talking?" 

"I can't guarantee everything he said is true, but some of it have to be the truth. Based on my experience..." Kihyun paused for a moment. "...Hyungwon confirmed my ra-ped case when I was under drug influence"

Hearing the 'r' word come out from Kihyun mouth himself, Prosecutor Kwak cannot help but feel a bit of anger rising in him. Though it was a long time ago, he still gets mad every time he thinks about it. Especially, at the fact that Kihyun kept it from both of him and Hoseok. In fact, Kihyun kept the incident from the prosecution office and the police too. He is aware that Kihyun have his own reason why he keep the incident to himself, but, in Prosecutor Kwak point of view, it seems like despite their years of friendship - he still has not gained enough trust from Kihyun which hurts his pride. Prosecutor Kwak pretty sure Hoseok share the same sentiment as him. 

Kihyun, who is completely unaware with the reaction just continue talking. "Long story short, when JJ Group was having a financial crisis, Baek Jinyoung seek help from her ex-boyfriend. Cha Juhyeon. Other than the money, Baek Juyoon is one of the result of the help" 

"Let me get this straight. When JJ Group was having a financial crisis, Baek Jinyoung go to Cha Juhyeon - her ex-boyfriend, who is currently the Chairman of CHA Group for help. Cha Juhyeon se-xually assaulted her and she got pregnant with Baek Juyoon, whose name now is Owen Grey. She keeps the assault incident quiet because JJ Group need the money from Cha Juhyeon and she also gives birth to Juyoon without Chae Jihoon's knowledge and raise the baby as her nephew" 

"According to Owen, that's the story" Kihyun nodded. "Baek Jinyoung and Cha Juhyeon have another son, Kwon Jinho. He was conceived after Yeji's death. She give him up for adoption at birth" he added. 

"Raising one secret child is already tough, I guess that's why she give Jinho to the adoption agency at birth. Poor women. She's trying to cover up her mistake, just to find out her baby is adopted by her husband's secretary. Dr. Chae Hyungwon isn't exaggerating when he said his family is messed up. How can a husband didn't know his wife had given birth twice to somebody else child's?" 

Kihyun just shrugged. He assumes Hyungwon's late mother is just like him - a type of person whose baby bump is not very noticeable. He carried multiple babies in both pregnancy and he can easily cover his baby bump. Hyungwon's late mother only carry one baby - he bet she didn't showing much too.

"By the way, I received a new info regarding Baek Juyoon today. Baek Juyoon was reported missing before. Madam Han reported him missing in LA, he was 9 at that time. According to her statement, they got separated in the crowd. Search and rescue were launched immediately, but Baek Juyoon is only found four years later. He was saved from a slavery farm and record shows that Baek Jinyoung is the one who pick him up. The confusing part is, like you read this morning - there is no record of Baek Juyoon returning to Korea after he left at age 9. Do you know why?"

"Baek Jinyoung abandoned him?" Kihyun makes a guess. 

"That could be one of the reasons. Or, maybe... after his slavery farm experience, he simply lost trust in people and run away from his own mother because he feel unsafe" 

Kihyun mentally agree at the possibility. 

"He was found half frozen on the street, wake up with no memory. A grieving couple who just lost their son - in a car accident decided to take him in. Initially, they are just fostering him but ended up adopting him. That's how he becomes Owen Grey. The couple passed away last year in a home robbery. Owen was at work when the robbery occurred" Prosecutor Kwak explained. "I bet he comes to Korea to search for his biological family but, sadly - got manipulated by his own father" he added. 

Kihyun just frowned. 

"How about Kwon Jinho? What do you have about him?" Prosecutor Kwak asked.  

"I got new info from my PI when I was coming here" Kihyun scroll something on his phone. "After his adopted mother passed away, he lives with Madam Han. According to Madam Han's maid, the two of them had a pretty heated argument few months ago and Jinho haven't come home since then. Considering there is no record of him leaving this country, it suggested that he still in Korea - supporting Owen Grey statement that he held him captive all this time"  

Prosecutor Kwak sighed. "I bet Madam Han didn't make a missing person report because she probably just think Jinho is rebelling from the fight or something" 

"With Si Woo run away and never return... she might think Jinho is pulling the same trick" Kihyun added. 

"Less than she know, Kwon Jinho was held captive by his own brother Baek Juyoon, who mistaken Kwon Jinho for Chae Si Woo" Prosecutor Kwak stares into the empty space in front of him. "Three brothers who are oblivious to each other got tangled in their adult unfinished business. Life sure can be so mean sometimes" 

They both then become quiet, losing in their own thought. 

"The day is barely started and the world is already crashing on Dr. Lee. One of his best friend is in emergency surgery and the other one is unconscious. It's even worse for him since they are not only his best friends but also the co-fathers to his daughter" Prosecutor Kwak heavily sighed. He notices Kihyun is looking troubled. "Hey, we cannot do anything about what is happening in the hospital. You make a good choice coming all the way here to let me listen to the recording" Prosecutor Kwak wraps his arm around Kihyun shoulder. "So, let's just do what we do best" he pull Kihyun to stand up. "I have some free time today. Let's do a site-inspection to confirm Owen Grey story"

"But, it wasn't an official investigation yet" Kihyun tries to argue. How can they conduct a site-inspection without a proper procedure? 

"Just let me worry about that" Prosecutor Kwak simply replied. 

While Prosecutor Kwak is typing on his laptop, Kihyun drives the car heading out from Seoul. According to Owen Grey, after he reunited with his father, Cha Juhyeon, the old man let him stay in his mansion located in Paju - which is around 40 minutes away from Seoul and that is where they are heading now.

"If Jinho is still in the house, do you think he still alive? Owen Grey last visited the house was two weeks ago" Kihyun breaks the silence. 

"He need to be alive, Kihyun. I already have a hard time thinking how I am going to tell Madam Han that her grandsons is in this mess, telling her one of them didn't make it, is way too much" Prosecutor Kwak replied. He takes a look at Kihyun who is concetrating on the road. Did he make it? That thought is obvious on Kihyun's facial expression. He cannot be sure of whom Kihyun is thinking for though. Is it for Kwon Jinho who is held captive? Is it for Chae Hyungwon who is in the middle of surgery? 

"What are you doing?" Kihyun asked, noticing the prosecutor is staring at him. 

"Reading" Prosecutor Kwak is looking at his laptop again. "I found the profile of the doctor Owen Grey mentioned in the recording. Dr. Jee Heojun, a psychologist at ASA Hospital" he added. 

"I've heard that name before. I think he is one of the senior staff at the Psychology Department" 

"You got that correct. In this article, it stated here that the Chief of Psychology Department of ASA Hospital is going to retire by the end of this year. He nominated three candidates as his replacement. First, Dr. Chae Hyungwon from the Psychiatrist Unit. Second, Dr. Jee Heojun from the Psychologist Unit. Third, Dr. Kim Junhee from the Counseling Unit. However, Dr. Kim decided to move to Canada to live with his son. So, it's only between Dr. Chae and Dr. Jee. It divides opinion in the comment section. Some shows support for Dr. Chae and some raise issue of the seniority because Dr. Jee is the longest member of the department. This article is publish few weeks after Dr. Chae went hiatus" 

"Then, Hyungwon have no idea that he is one of the nominee"

"Yup. After reading Dr. Jee's profile, I am getting convinced that Owen Grey is telling the truth. Dr. Jee is famous for his contribution in understanding of human memory system. It stated here that he is an expert in psychoanalysis and hynopsis therapy. Long story short, psychoanalysis therapy is a therapy which focuses on the patient past experience. It is a common method used in analyzing psychic phenomena and treating emotional disorders, where the patient is encouraged to talk freely about personal experiences, especially about early childhood and dreams. While, hypnosis therapy is a therapy which involving focused attention, reduced peripheral awareness, and an enhanced capacity to respond to suggestion. Both therapies are very useful in exploring human unconscious mind. Honestly, I don't really understand what is this mean. But, reading Dr. Jee profile is quite interesting. Memory system is actually a fascinating topic. Dr. Chae's profile - just the sentence '...being an expert of human psychological defense mechanism...', is enough to make me shiver. It scares me how vulnerable a human being can be" 

"One is capable of messing up human memory and one is capable of breaking a person mentally? A completely dangerous duo" Kihyun commented. 

After a half an hour of driving, they reached to the neighborhood Owen Grey mentioned in the recording. Kihyun's continue to drive to the end of the road and just like Owen Grey stated - there is a mansion, secluded from others. He parked in front of the car, got off from the car without saying anything. Prosecutor Kwak quickly follows closely behind him.

"This house is really located at the end of the road and secluded from the other houses. Searching for a witness will be hard" Prosecutor Kwak mumbles to himself as he watches Kihyun pressing the bell twice.

A few seconds later, the gate is opened. A young man greeting them politely. 

"Aren't you are Kang Insung?" Prosecutor Kwak asked instead of answering the young man 'May I help you?' question. 

As soon as Kihyun heard the name, he mentally gasped. No wonder the man look so familiar, he thought.

"Yes, I am" Insung answered. "What can I help you with, sir?"

"Well, I am Prosecutor Kwak from Seoul Prosecution Office. This is Lawyer Yoo Kihyun. We are here for Owen Grey"

"My boss's son. But, I haven't seen him around here for a few weeks already. My boss just left to catch his flight. I am not sure if I can be much a help" Insung answered honestly. 

"Your boss is Cha Juhyeon?" Kihyun asked and receives a quick 'yes'. 

"Can we come in?" Prosecutor Kwak asked. 

Insung invited them in with his eyes focused on Yoo Kihyun. He cannot believe that he has finally face to face with the lawyer who contributed to his release. Ever since he come out from prison, he has been struggling to adapt into the society which is why he have not met Yoo Kihyun to thanked him personally, yet. 

"You live here?" Kihyun asked, trying to get the young man attention man back as they passing by the garden in the yard.

"No, I am just a housekeeper" Insung answered honestly. "I watch the house when no one is here. This is my boss's vacation house so usually no one will be here. This house become my shelter after I got release. A few months ago his son from US come back. He stays here and I mostly spend the night at the public sauna nearby" 

Kihyun notices the new planted flowers in the garden. "Your boss seems to be a fan of flowers" he randomly commented. 

"He said gardening helps him with his stress. He probably plant that before leaving today. It wasn't there yesterday" Insung just replied with a smiles. "Here" he opens the door for the guests to enter the house before he lead them to the living room. "Would you like a cup of tea or coffee?" he asked. 

"No. Thank you" both Kihyun and Prosecutor Kwak answered. 

"You two seem urgent. Is something happening to my boss's son?" Insung asked carefully. 

"Before that" Prosecutor Kwak takes out his phone to shows the picture of Owen Grey to Insung. "Is this the son, right?" he received a nod. "He is found injured this morning. He is currently in the ASA Hospital receiving treatment. We couldn't find his emergency contact so we are tracking his movement" he make up some story. 

"I should let my boss know. Hopefully he isn't boarded the flight yet" Insung is about to reach out for the phone but Kihyun stopped him. Telling him that someone from their office will do that. "How is he?" Insung asked. 

"The doctor said he probably experienced something shocking recently. The injury he got this morning seem to be from a suicide attempt" Kihyun answered. "We are hoping for you to tell us something about him"

"Well, I don't really communicate with him because my boss said his son is sick. At first he only receiving treatment at the hospital, but after a few months the doctor starts treating him here. The doctor often come when I was ready to leave. There is one time I become curious and stay a bit longer. I heard a lot of screaming and I just left"

"From where?" Prosecutor Kwak asked. 

"Upstairs" Insung answered. 

"I locked Si Woo hyung in my room. In my walk in closet"

'I bet that is Hyungwon's voice' Kihyun thought to himself. "By the way, can you show us the library?" he asked randomly again. Luckily, Insung did not suspect anything and just politely guide them to the room next to the living room. 

"Mr. Grey spends a lot of time in here too" Insung told them. 

On the second shelves, there is a book titled 'Secret'. Behind it was a button. It leads to a hidden basement"

It is such a pure luck Kihyun manage to find the book in one glance. He removed the book titled 'Secret' and just like Owen Grey said, there is a button behind it. He pressed it and the book shelves slowly move and revealing a hidden door behind it.

"I didn't know about this" Insung look shocked. Something clicked in his mind - whatever is behind the door is the real reason why the prosecutor and the lawyer is here.

Kihyun twist the doorknob, unlocked. He gets down the stairs by using his phone as a torchlight and find another door. "Locked" he said as he turns to look at Prosecutor Kwak, who just reach behind him.

"Considering Kang Insung didn't know about this, I bet he has no idea about the key" Prosecutor Kwak replied as he watches Kihyun casually pull a pen from his pocket - skillfully using it to unlock the door. "I wonder what else you learn from your client" he unintentionally sounded sarcastic.

"A lot. I can give you tutorial later" Kihyun replied as he carefully pushes open the door. He switches on the light and a horrible scene appear in front of them. Someone is obviously tortured, locked up here. "No one is here" he said. 

"Let me" Prosecutor Kwak push Kihyun a little so he can enter the room. He frowned. Based from what he can see, a sign of struggling in the room is still very fresh. The blood on the shackle hasn't even dried properly yet. "If Jinho is here, he just got moved to somewhere else" he said to Kihyun who is staring at the bed. "What is it? Do you see anything?" he check the bed too.

Instead of answering, Kihyun left the room in a rush. Bumped to Insung who is standing in front of the first door which lead to the hidden basement, he didn't stop to apologize or anything at all. 

"Lawyer Yoo" Insung is a little surprised and ended up following out of concern. When he reaches the yard, he can see the lawyer is digging the freshly planted flower using his bare hand. He goes to the storeroom to take the hoe then rushes to help the lawyer to remove the dirt. 

"What are you looking for?" Insung asked in the process. 

"Just help me first" Kihyun replied, urgent.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Prosecutor Kwak comes out from the house after requesting a police back up and notifying the forensic team. "Kihyun-ah, you...." he is about to say something about his friend's behaviour, but he paused. Under the new crop boundary, where the new planted marigold flowers, there is a cupboard. When Kihyun moves the cupboard away, he froze in his position - having a hard time to believe what he is seeing. 

In the tiny hole where the cupboard was removed, there is a person buried there in a fetal position.