Part 45

DESTINY

"Why is your nanny isn't here yet?" Hoseok said as he tries to call the said nanny. Chessa is just looking at him while chewing on her favourite plushies. Completely unbothered with her daddy distress for going to be late to work again. Hoseok almost throws his phone when his call got straight away directed to voice mail. But, he stopped midway because Chessa is looking at him. "Daddy needs to find another nanny for you," he said as he starts packing Chessa stuff. 

As soon as Hoseok entered his office, his secretary immediately walks after him. 

"I already turn on your computer and take away some brunch in case you missed breakfast" 

"Thank you" Hoseok replied as he put down Chessa on his table. His secretary immediately takes the baby into her arms before anything bad happens. Hoseok proceeds to set up Chessa playpen.

"My mother used to work in a nursery ward. Just let me know if you need a new nanny" she said.

"You have been working with me for years and now you want me to hire your mom too? Who just retired two months ago?" Hoseok replied. His secretary just laughed at him.

"It doesn't sound like a bad idea, though. It will help her to get used with the retirement world slowly" 

"Stop convincing me. What do I have on my schedule today?" Hoseok replied as he takes Chessa from her and put the baby in the playpen. 

"You have a lunch meeting with the representative of the K Group. Later, you need to meet Mdm. Han at her office. Then, you have another product revising meeting with Lee Corps"

"Why do they need me to attend that? I am just their audit lawyer, not their business consultant" Hoseok sound confused. He is appointed as the Lee Corps audit lawyer solely for his view as an outsider on the company management. 

"I'm not very sure, and...this, just coming this morning. The Chairman of JJ Group lawyer leaves a message for you to contact him as soon as possible" the secretary read everything on her notepad. "Actually, it was last night. But, I only see the email this morning"

"Lawyer Kim, right?" Hoseok takes Chessa from his secretary and put her in the playpen. 

"Yes. That's all so far. Anything else I can help you with?" 

"No, that's all. Thank you" Hoseok said to his secretary.

Hoseok finally takes a seat and reaches out for his phone. He makes the phone call to Lawyer Kim. But, his call didn't get connected. He decides to give it another try later and continue to do his work from yesterday. As he got engrossed in his work, a new email notification comes in. He straight away clicks 'read'. 

Good morning, 

I am contacting you this early to let you know that the Chairman and his wife were killed in yesterday road mishap in Macau. I took a flight here last night to bring their body home. However, the request is required to be made by their power of attorney or their relatives. So, I will be here for some time until I figure this out. I hope you can keep this news as a secret for awhile. I know you are aware there is an attempt of dethroning the king in the company, right? If this news leak out when I am not around it mean a war will break. So, I'm hoping you to watch over them while I am gone. Just let me know if you have an idea how to defeat the system. 

Thank you. 
Kim Youngkwan. 

"Defeating the system is Kihyun's speciality" Hoseok mumbles. "The chairman passed away and his missing heir is still not found. This is huge trouble" he wipes his face in frustration. 

A knock on his door. 

"I forget to give you this. It reached yesterday noon. You already leave the office that time" his secretary walks in and put the parcel on his table. 

"Who is the sender?" Hoseok asked as he picks it up.  

"Seem like the new agency you hired for the background search" the secretary simply replied. 

"Thanks," Hosek said to his secretary who already heads back to her table. He opens the wrap and a few documents is inside. "Hopefully, you have a good news for me," he said after checking the sender address. It's really a parcel from the private investigator agency he hired to search for the JJ Group missing heir months ago. What the right timing, he thought. As he goes through the document, he froze when he sees something he didn't expect to see in the file.  

*********************

"My baby girl," Minhyuk said as he walks closer to Hoseok and Chessa who is sitting in the corner of the cafeteria. "The nanny skipped work again?" he asked. 

"We really need to find a new nanny. She can't keep coming with me to the office. Sang Wook follows Kihyun to work often and that boy is growing up so fast. I want her to grow up slowly" 

"I don't want her to grow up at all" Minhyuk replied as he takes the spoon from Hoseok and naturally feeds Chessa. "You don't usually ask me to lunch together. What is the occasion? If you want me to babysit our baby girl, you don't have to bribe me. All you need is to ask" he added.   

Hoseok put a file on the table. "Do you know?" he asked as watches Minhyuk going through it. The latter doesn't look surprised by the content. "I talked to you about this a few months ago. Why don't you tell me anything?" Hoseok asked. Somehow he feels betrayed, though no one is actually betraying him.

"For what?" Minhyuk lean back to his chair. "He is a wounded child, Hoseok. He grows up and moves on. But, that wound never really healed. What's the point of bringing him back there?"

"I might, could help him fix this" Hoseok blurts out. 

"I used to think like that" Minhyuk let out a little laugh. Thinking about what he has done in the past. "He didn't tell me anything about this. I find out about it myself. He told everyone that his parents are dead. But, he seems a little off. I make my own research. That's how I find out. I don't think the others knew too. I mean they know Hyungwon left his family, but they didn't know that his parents are still alive... because no matter who asked him, he will always said they are no longer around" 

"... and now, they are really no longer around" Hoseok sighed. "They passed away yesterday in Macau, involved in a road mishap. Needed request from family members to bring them home" Hoseok blurts out before looking at Minhyuk straight into his eyes. "How am I suppose to tell him this?" 

"Honestly, I don't know" Minhyuk replied. "He closed the door for them years ago. You should be careful when you open the door, Hoseok. We have no idea what has been kept hidden in there for all these years" he added. 

"Do you mind watching over her today? I need some time to think" Hoseok said after a moment of pondering. 

"I don't. Just keep me updated, ok?" Minhyuk replied and he just received a silent nod. 

Hoseok is heading to Kihyun's suite when he sees Changkyun and Hyungwon in the hallway. They are talking to each other. 

"Hello, daddy. What are you doing here?" Hyungwon asked when he sees the corporate lawyer. 

"I'm having lunch with Minhyuk" 

"Sweet" Changkyun commented. "But, you shouldn't leave your other husband to have lunch by himself though" he teased. 

"I thought he was busy. He told me he had a session with Kihyun today" Hoseok replied. "Am I interrupting something?" he asked. 

"Nope. I'm just asking about Jooheon progressing with his therapy" Changkyun replied.

"Therapy?" Hoseok is a little surprised.

"The fire thing" Hyungwon answered. "Henry is going camping and Jooheon is going to give him company" 

"I wanted to go, but Jooheon said he is a better choice" Changkyun whines.

"He's a paediatrician. He is a better choice" Hoseok replied. "What can a Neuro do with a bunch of kids?"

"No one is gonna support me in this" Changkyun pout a little. "By the way, I have to go. Don't want to be the fourth party in your guy's trilateral relationship. Have fun dating guys"

Both Hyungwon and Hoseok just look at the neurosurgeon and smiles a little. 

"Kihyun is sleeping," Hyungwon told the corporate lawyer. "It seems like we are going to have another baby soon. He starts experiencing Braxton hicks"

"Really? That means he doesn't sleep well now" Hoseok sound both happy and concern at the same time. 

"Yes, it's been days and it keeps getting worse which is good" Hyungwon replied. "You look distracted. Want to talk about it?" 

"No, it's ok" Hoseok replied. He is obviously on the edge of having a mental breakdown. Too many things running through his mind right now.

"The last time I saw you this anxious is when Kihyun's heart stopped. What is wrong?" Hyungwon is a genuine concern. 

Hoseok looks straight into Hyungwon eyes He takes a deep breath before goes, "I'm so sorry. But, your parents passed away" 

"What are you talking about?" Hyungwon frowned. 

"I hired a private investigator to search for the missing heir of JJ Group months ago" Hoseok don't know what else to say. "Your birth name was Chae Siwoo, isn't it? You changed it to Chae Hyungwon right before you go to university" he continues when Hyungwon just staring at him with his poker face. "Your father, Chae Jihoon. Your mother, Baek Jinyoung. They passed away in Macau yesterday, in a road mishap. Your father's lawyer is there trying to bring their body back. But, without a proper request of a blood related or power of attorney...it's quite hard for him to do so" Hoseok explains. 

"So, all you need is for me to make a request?" Hyungwon asked. 

Hoseok is taken aback by the calmness in Hyungwon voice. So, he just nodded. 

"I have a contact in Macau. I will give him a call. Hopefully, he can help fast forward a few things there" Hyungwon said as he fishes out his phone. 

Hoseok just looks at Hyungwon as the psychiatrist step away to talk to whoever he is calling. Hoseok can hear Hyungwon is talking in fluent Cantonese which is a piece of news to him. He didn't know Hyungwon can speak a language, other than Korean and English. 

"If your past call, don't pick up. The greatness in life in what forward not behind" 

Hyungwon quotes somehow rings in Hoseok ears. His painful past is calling and he picks it up just like that, Hoseok thought.