Part 67

DESTINY

"I already clean your wound. However, if you feel unwell - even just a little, please come immediately to the ER. It could be a sign of infection. There is a possibility that the soil is contaminated with animal waste. We need to be careful about that - especially, rodent. They can cause some fatal infection" the paramedic explained as she double check the bandage on the left hand before she start with the right hand. When she did not receive any reply, she looks up - the man she is treating seem to be lost in his deep thought - watching her partner attending the victim who was found buried alive. "You did a good job with the first aid. Were you are professionally trained before?" 

Kihyun shakes his head. "No, it's just - my husband is a surgeon. Everything I know I learned from him" 

"I am really impressed" the paramedic smiles. "Without enrolling in an official course and you did all of that... " she gives a thumb out then continuing her task, "... even the professional like us got frozen if we ever find a victim in an unexpected places like that. You are so courageous. What give it off - I mean what make you realize he was buried there?" 

"Capsula mundi" Kihyun answered briefly. "In some countries - people place the dead body in a fetal position inside a container made from biodegradable material before burial - the body will decompose and fertilises the surrounding soil. I know about this from my son..." he takes a deep breath, "... this isn't a capsula mundi though" he explained when the paramedic is looking at him confuse. He pretty sure Sang Wook had a talk with Dasom in his dream again. There is no way this 'capsula mundi' thing is just a random information sharing from Sang Wook.

The paramedic sighed a little.  "You did a great job. I believe he will be ok..." she then smiles, "If you need to talk about what happened today, call this number" she give out a card. 

Kihyun takes the card. It's reads 'Help is A Call Away' - a non profit organization which help people in crises. "Thanks" he smiles before thanking the paramedic. He watches Kwon Jinho got loaded in the back of the ambulance from where he is seated - mentally wondering how can a father buried his child alive like that. When the ambulance leaves, he put the card in his pocket and fish out his phone. 

Jooheon: 

I think no one have informed you that Hyungwon is out of surgery.
The surgery is done, no complication. 

Kihyun exhales a relief breath. He wanted to reply to the text, but he stops typing as Prosecutor Kwak come to him. When the prosecutor asked him if he is ok, Kihyun simply replied with a 'yeah'. 

"Glad to know that. By the way, Insung is still talking to the police and the police already contacted Madam Han. After searching the house, they found Kwon Jinho mobile phone in one of the fake books and Madam Han number is on the speed dial. Poor women - I think she passed out after hearing the news. At the end of the phone call, a man requesting for Kwon Jinho to be transferred to Seoul - as soon as it possible" Prosecutor Kwak exhales a heavy breath. "I think it is better for Jinho to be treated in Seoul too - both of his brothers are in Seoul" 

Kihyun just nodded. He agrees with everything the prosecutor is saying. 

"My team is picking up Chairman Cha at the airport. To our luck, his flight got delayed. I am still waiting for warrant approval for Dr. Jee" 

Kihyun understand bringing Chairman Cha for an interrogation without a warrant is possible because the crime scene is his property and not cooperating may get him charged with obstruction of justice. But, Dr. Jee - other than Owen Grey statement there is no evidence to prove it - applying for a warrant on him is quite tricky. 

"I know what you are thinking" Prosecutor Kwak gives the tablet to Kihyun. "The tech guy was checking on the home network. He found a digital trace of a spy cam, but there is no camera found in the house. So, he collects the trace and rebuilt the pathway - it leads him to a virtual vault. A vault which containing a lot of video recording of Dr. Jee torturing the three brothers" he explained. 

"He tortures all three of them?" Kihyun is surprised. 

"Yes. Based from the video, it seems like Dr. Jee is using both Owen Grey and Kwon Jinho to get into Dr. Chae's mind. I don't want you to watch those videos, but I have one video to show you" Prosecutor Kwak plays the video on the screen. 

Kihyun frowned when he sees Hyungwon is tied to a chair with few wires attach to his body. The psychiatrist is looking exhausted. "He was electrocuted?" he sounds heartbroken. 

Prosecutor Kwak nodded. "Electrocution and drowning is the method of torture" 

Kihyun is speechless. He raises the volume because it seems Dr. Jee and Hyungwon is having a conversation. 

"If I need to describe you in one word, clairsentience - that's the word I will choose"  Dr. Jee said. "Clairsentience is a clear feeling where you can feel other people emotion even at distance. In some cases, some clairsentient people experience a high level of manifestation and they can feel the present, past or future physical and emotional states of others, without the use of the normal five senses. I know you are in the latter case" he added. 

"Clairsentience is a pseudoscience" Hyungwon replied - a bit breathless from all the torture earlier. 

"On the day your sister passed away, you passed out and since that day - you are easily tired, worrying you have some undiagnosed illness, your grandmother makes you go through a lot of tests where the diagnosis is 'this patient may have a rare case of clairsentience condition'. Then, you went through more test and declared as clairsentient" Dr. Jee observe for a reaction on the psychiatrist face, but he sees nothing. "I finally understand why your social circles are small - being around people exhaust you" he still getting no response. "Come on. Let's be honest - isn't that what happened during your liver transplant? The heart attack you suffered, isn't that because of the tissue cavitation removal procedure Dr. Im had during the surgery? I know you are too attached to him"

"How many laws you break to get that information?" 

"Chae Si Woo record is classified after you change your name. However, Chairman Cha is your mother's boyfriend. They know about each other family quite well. You are so young to understand why you are shut out from your family back then, don't you? I can help you understand everything. Just let me work my magic and you will be able to understand anything. Don't tell me that you believe your father abused you because of your sister's death - when he created you to cure your sister?"

"Tempting. But, not interested" 

"Don't be too arrogant, Chae Hyungwon. You are bound to the chair and I am a free man. I can do anything I want. You should be careful of me. Plus, I know your weakness now" Dr. Jee play the video on his laptop. He can see that Hyungwon flinched at the video of Owen Grey electrocuting Kwon Jinho, but tries to play it cool. "Torturing you won't weaken your defense. You was abused by your father. I believed that enhanced your tolerance to pain. But, your love one is not"

Hyungwon just staring at Dr. Jee - pretty much knowing what is about to come out from the psychologist's mouth. 

"Your doctors friend may be too extreme. How about the two lawyers? I sees Lawyer Lee picking up the girl - what is her name again, Chessa? She grows up a lot you know. I thought she was at least three, turns out she isn't even two yet. She already can walk properly, and she can even talk fluently. I was impressed. Dr. Lee and Lawyer Lee raises her well without you" Dr. Jee ignore the threat. 

"Try harm her and let see what happen to you" Hyungwon may sound like he is threatening, but he is actually just saying a fact. There is no way Hoseok or Minhyuk let Chessa get hurt. So, does the others. 

Dr. Jee laughed. "What you can do to me? Your pandora box? That won't work here" he obviously misunderstood the statement. 

Hyungwon smirk. "I am a clairsentient. After all these years, you think picking up emotional and physical sensation is all I can do? Let me remind you, I make a living out of it"

"Your mind game won't work on me. We know each other tricks too well. I was your supervisor since the first day of your internship, remember? I am also the one who voting for your hiring" 

"I used to have so much respect for you, but not anymore. You are only using your expertise for your benefit. I've seen your 'work'... you may call it as a fix, I call it stealing. How can you alter his last memory like that? That was his first time being truly acknowledged by his parents - you take that away from him" 

"What on earth you are rambling? Did I electrocuted you too much?"

"Few years ago, a woman named Choi Yeojoo come to you and asking for help - to alter his boyfriend's memory. The sole survivor of the cruise explosion. You cannot put him under hynoptized because he don't trust easily, so you gave him electric shock" Hyungwon can see Dr. Jee is really surprised at what he said. "You seem to have a thing for electrocution, doctor" 

"How... " Dr. Jee breaths deeply. "I know how you know. That freak is Chief Sohn wife now. Did you open his pandora box too?"

"Don't call him that" Hyungwon sound furious. "You are professional helper! You are supposed to help!" 

Dr. Jee switch on the electric device and turn it off a minute later. 

"You can't break me, doctor" Hyungwon said breathless. 

"If I kill you here, no one will know - you are going to vanish to a thin air. They will wonder, but they will never know about you" 

"Those threats don't work on me. You said you know that I have a high level of manifestation" Hyungwon replied. "Page 20 of my medical record, it is written in red ink. Did you skip that?" 

"This patient has the potential to mimic the symptoms" Dr. Jee recite confidently.

"Dead is happening everywhere, everyday, doctor. I tasted dead multiple times per day - you... don't scare me at all" 

Prosecutor Kwak takes the tablet from Kihyun once the video stopped. "You said he remembers you on the first sight. This could be the reason why. I mean the thing that preventing him from gaining Dr. Jee trust is you - because he knows what Dr. Jee have done to you. He might use that to protect himself" 

"I don't remember Dr. Jee at all" Kihyun wipes his face in frustration. "I am his mental defense?" he whispered to himself - suddenly feeling guilty. If he did not stop looking for Hyungwon, things would be different. He doesn't know how much different it may be, but he pretty sure it won't lead to this day. Everything about today is out of place. Wait, he thought to himself. Today- something clicked in his mind before he gasped. "This morning you found Baek Juyoon injured"

"What about it?" Prosecutor Kwak becomes confused. 

"Baek Juyoon injury may be the cause of his seizure attack. I mean with his memory messed up, he probably lost his ability to control whatever he is feeling too" Kihyun immediately call someone. "I need to go. I will call you a cab, make sure to take care of Insung too. Do not let him become a scapegoat" he said as he rushes to his car. 

Prosecutor Kwak just looks at Kihyun confused. 

*************************

Jooheon is walking back to hospital after sending Sang Wook and Chessa to their classes. His eyes are a bit swollen from the crying he had earlier making the passer by looking at him. He smiles at them to let them know that he is fine. When his phone suddenly went off, he quickly answered it.

"Bring me to Hyungwon" Kihyun does not even bother to ask anything - because if  Jooheon is answering his phone call, that mean he have some time to waste. 

Despite not knowing what is happening, Jooheon sprinting to the post - op department because of the urgency in Kihyun voice. When he comes out from the elavator, he sees Hyunwoo is walking out from the department. He wanted to check on him, but Kihyun need to talk to Hyungwon - so he let Hyunwoo be for now. As soon as he reaches the ward, he paused. The long beeping from the machine and the straight line on the monitor is telling him everything he need to know. "I think... we are too late" he informed Kihyun with a shaky voice. 

"Just let me talk to him" Kihyun is desperate. 

Jooheon exhales a heavy breath before he entered the ward. "Someone wants to talk to him" he said. Indirectly, stopping Sunho from announcing the time of death. Sunho stepped aside and let him come closer to the bed. Both Changkyun and Minhyuk is looking at him, curious. He switches on the speakerphone, "Go ahead" he said. 

"Chae Hyungwon. It's me, Yoo Kihyun. Just focus to the sound of my voice. I want you to focus on yourself - your weight, your skin, the fresh cut of your surgery - anything on your body. You need to block any sensation that is not from you. They.... " Kihyun paused - the long beeping sound is making him emotional. "Forget it" he sounded a little mad. "Just focus on me. You have done this multiple times. You tasted dead every day and you make it through because you know it isn't you. It was someone else. This sensation you are feeling right now may have come from Kwon Jinho. He is saved, Hyungwon. I found him. I found Baek Juyoon too. How can you leave when the cause of your pain is alive?" he starts tearing when he heard no change from the other line. "Hyungwon, please. I am begging you - you need to come back. I was the tiny voice in your head all this time, didn't I? You let me be your conscience for months. So, please... just listen to me. You are not dying. You are alive, just breath"

Everyone is confused with what they heard.

"Really - you are going to be stubborn?" Kihyun is getting frustrated at the long beeping sound. "Fine. Then, I am going to let you feel me. I am sorry, but I need you alive" 

"Kihyun, what are you doing?" Jooheon become alarmed at how Kihyun tone is changing. 

"Yoo Kihyun" Changkyun is worried too. 

The called abruptly ended. 

"Call him back" Minhyuk said. 

Joheon re-dial Kihyun's number - he ended up being sent to the voicemail.

"I am sorry. But, I think we need to focus.... " Sunho stopped talking when the long beeping sound changed. 

Beep beep. Beep Beep.

"What did you do?" Changkyun asked as he gets into action. 

Sunho shakes his head before jump to help. 

Jooheon step away to give Sunho and Changkyun all the space they need to attending Hyungwon - standing next to Minhyuk. 

"What is it?" Minhyuk asked when he notices that both Changkyun and Sunho is exhanging a look between them.

"He's back" Changkyun sounded confused. 

"What do you mean?" Both Minhyuk and Jooheon asked.

"He's really back. Not only his heartbeat... he is really back" Sunho said - not sure what is really happening. 

Minhyuk decide to check on Hyungwon himself - to his surprise, the dilated pupil is slowly coming back to normal. 

Not being able to comprehend what is happening, everybody just standing still - clueless. Confuse.