Part 84

DESTINY

When Kihyun wakes up to empty space next to him, he just turns to face the other side - just to get a 'mini heart attack' that he wasn't in his bedroom. He immediately sits up, scanning his surroundings - and see Hyunwoo is sleeping on the couch not very far from the bed. "Right... honeymoon trip" he mumbles as he exhales in relief. "My brain is so messed up" he sighed. Then, he stares at Hyunwoo sleeping's face. "Why is he keep looking younger with every passing year?" he said before pouting a bit. He gets off the bed and goes to his husband, he kneels beside the couch and enjoying good minutes of staring at his good looking husband.

Hyunwoo squirms a bit before he opens his eyes. He immediately smiles when he sees his wife's face. "Did you sleep well?" he asked.

"Why are you sleeping here?" Kihyun asked instead.

"I snore when I am exhausted. I don't want to disturb you" Hyunwoo answered as he stretches his body - smoothly pulling his wife to come closer before planting a kiss on the top of the head.

Kihyun replied the signature greeting with a kiss on top of Hyunwoo's nose. "Your back is going to be hurt"

"It's okay. It's not like I am going to use it anytime soon" Hyunwoo casually replied as he sits up and pulls Kihyun to sit next to him. "It's weird without the boys, right?" he asked as he let his wife cuddles him.

"What do you mean with you are not going to use your back soon?" Kihyun asked - failed to understand the hidden meaning behind the sentence.

"What do you think people always do on their honeymoon?" Hyunwoo replied.

"I don't know" Kihyun answer innocently.

"Making babies" Hyunwoo ended up saying the obvious. He somehow forgets that Kihyun's brain function is not as how they use to be. At least for now.

Kihyun giggles. "Right... we can't. Minhyuk will scold us"

"Exactly"

"Since we can't do what other couples always do, what have you plan for today?" Kihyun asked as he looks up to see Hyunwoo's face. Even with this close-up, Hyunwoo still look perfect to him.

"I plan nothing. What do you want to do?"

"Can we go home and meet the boys?" Kihyun jokes.

"I had that thought, but Sang Wook will scold us"

Kihyun giggles again. Then, he laid down his head on Hyunwoo's chest.

Silence. Both of them just cuddles to each other - slowly losing in their own thought.

"I never imagined I would be a father to five children. Four children and an angel, actually" Hyunwoo said as he cuddles his wife tighter. "I imagine one or two children, never five" he added.

"Me too - not a father to five children, not even as a mother" Kihyun replied. "After Yeojoo, I gave up the idea of being with somebody" he added.

"You was great at living alone" Hyunwoo replied without giving his comment much thought.

"Life is weird, isn't it? The moment you give up what you really want, it gives everything to you"

Hyunwoo nodded as he starts playing with Kihyun's finger, "That's why we shouldn't be greedy"

Kihyun smiles a little, "I haven't thanked you enough," he said almost whispering.

"For?" Hyunwoo looks down - of course, he can't see his wife's face. All he can see is the top of his wife's head and he ended up smelling the hair.

"For accepting me. You know what happened to me before we meet and you still willingly marry me even after you know about it all" Kihyun is making an indirect conversation about his gang ra-ped incident.

"Why wouldn't I married someone like you just because you had horrible things happened to you?" Hyunwoo always feels sad when this topic is brought up. "I am the one who should be thankful here. What I have done to you that night, especially after what you went through... I am thankful you are still willing to break your wall down for me. I don't have enough words to tell you how sorry I am about everything I made you go through. You must despise me a lot, right?"

Kihyun shakes his head. "I am supposed to. But, that night... for the first time in my life I feel like I am respected. How can I hate you if you treat me that nice? I am not sure if it was because I was desperate, but I really feel like I was treated right that night"

Hyunwoo frowned. Even though, they keep talking about that night every now and then - they never really discussed it in detail. So, Hyunwoo assumes - since he is drunk, he must have done something that makes Kihyun lost his capacity to make a rational decision.

"You come home drunk and mistook me for Dasom. I was scared, initially. Apart from me was having a flashback of what happened before, another part of me was preparing for whatever is going to happen. I was on the verge of losing control of myself and that's when you asked me for permission. You asked me if it's okay for you to take off my clothes. You keep checking if you hurt me. When you look at me, somehow... I feel like that caring stare is really mean for me. That night, I lost my rationality because I was too occupied questioning myself if you are real. You were drunk, hallucinating, have no control for your action... but still acting so nice. You treat me so gentle. When you - we are done, you even help me clean myself. That night was intimate and deep... but you leave no mark at all. I was able to pretend like nothing had happened the next day because you were nice, gentle and respectful. You even apologize to me for coming home drunk, and promise would never do that again that morning. I was like 'we are stranger, why is he apologizing?'. I meet a lot of nice people in my life, but never like you. You are nice even when you have no control of your conscious mind. Even after years, you still don't seem real to me. That's why I always staring at you like you know... maybe if I stare long enough, I would see the sign that you are not real and I am not dreaming"

"So, you are well aware of my marital status from the beginning? I mean... you are completely aware of what happened that night?" Hyunwoo asked for a confirmation. "Then, why you didn't tell me about the twins the moment you find out about the pregnancy?" he is curious.

Kihyun shrugged. "First of all, I consented to something I shouldn't and I don't want to be seen as taking advantage of you since you were drunk. Second, I wasn't sure about carrying the babies to full term. I mean I was at risk of miscarriage the whole pregnancy. Third, you have no memory of that night at all. How do you expect me to tell you?"

"Hey, you act like a j-erk that night and I consented because you are nice?" Hyunwoo jokes.

Kihyun giggles, "That's sound ridiculous"

"I know" Hyunwoo giggles too. "Seriously though, you sound like you are second-guessing of getting me  involve because we might lose the baby"

"You lost your wife years before we meet and are still miserable because of it. You will be more miserable if I miscarriage"

"We barely know each other and you already think about that?"

Kihyun nodded. "You are nice. It's rare to meet nice people nowadays. I don't want people of your kind to go extinct. If nice people keep getting their hearts broken, they will go evil. I'm a criminal litigator. There is enough evil in this world. There is no need for more, and I absolutely do not want to be someone who contributes to the evil population"

"I bet you are still mad that I didn't remember about it" - Listening to Kihyun talking like he is a different species, make Hyunwoo feel weird.

"I was glad, actually. It would be awkward if you do. After that night, I somehow forgot about the horrible thing that happened to me. I was getting better and determined to start afresh. That's when the twins show up and everything change... like all those disorganised pieces starts to fall back into their rightful place- they are like a reboot button. Remember there was a time Sang Wook got a high fever because I was so occupied with my meeting and forgot about him in my office? I was expecting you would lashes out on me that time. But, you didn't. I was crying and blaming myself - and all you said to me was 'It's okay. We are new parents. We will get better eventually'. We are married for years and you haven't brought up my past even once. You are not real"

"Who am I to use your past against you?" Hyunwoo sighed a little. "All my life... I am surrounded by people who adore me. I grow up in an orphanage and starts living alone at 18. It was tough, but I was loved" he patted his wife back gently, "All your life... surviving is your only hope and success is your revenge. No human would be using that kind of past against someone, Kihyun-ah"

Kihyun looks up to see Hyunwoo's face when he heard the change of tone in his husband voice.

"I wasn't perfect, Kihyun. I have my flaws too. When I was with Dasom, I made mistakes. I learned my lesson, but then I forgot and repeating it again. I guess I was careless with her because I know we need each other. That's why when she's gone, I was full of guilt because I didn't do my best. With you, I can't be careless" Hyunwoo takes a deep breath as he tries not to cries, "One mistake and you will be gone. You don't need me because you are good at surviving alone" he kissed his wife's forehead, "I don't want you to survive anymore. I want you to live"

Kihyun is starting to feel emotional too - Hyunwoo sounds so sincere.

"I was a mess after Dasom's left. This island has seen my twisted self. Then, I meet you... and I come back. If you can survive all those heartbreak and still be so forgiven for what I have done to you, why can't I survive mine? When we lost our baby Dasom-ie, I told myself that I will be stronger so you can lean on me. I expected you will crumble down. Especially, that you are not with her at the very last moment of her life. I know that feeling very well because I've been there. I was wrong. Losing our baby girl so unexpectedly like that doesn't make you weak. Not even the slightest... and I starts to wonder what kind of misery have you gone through for you to not crumbling down at her passing? We have been through a lot since we meet each other, but I questioned myself about how is it possible you still stand tall after our baby girl is gone too soon all the time. Yes, you get scared... you blame yourself for what happened, but you didn't crumble down. That's the huge mystery I can't seem to overlook. Then, I got my answer recently. You are incapable of recognizing your emotions or any sensation you are feeling well. Do you know why? When we are in danger, when our survival instinct is activated... no matter how terrible was the injuries, we just run to safety. Survival instinct makes us numb"

Hyunwoo's words really hit home that Kihyun just starts crying out of nowhere. All of these words are like a slap on his face - a waking up call. He buried his face on Hyunwoo's chest - letting his emotion taking control over him.

"It's like you just let whatever pain you are feeling take over, allowing it to numb the pain that is left behind" Hyunwoo tighten his arms around his wife, "Before we got married, Hoseok told me that you are buried too deep in the hollows and I would need to do more than just loving you to live with you. I told him that I would bury myself in the hollow if I have to... and you know what he said, "You can't go into the hollow to live with him. You will be in the darkness, while he is the darkness himself. You will be alone in there. You will get lost. He will get darker at times, if you think you can't do this... you don't have to marry him. You can just go". I guess he hurts my ego, and that's what inspired my vows. I, Sohn Hyunwoo, take you Yoo Kihyun to be my lawfully wedded wife. I promise to give you the best of myself and to ask of you no more than you can give. I promise that I will respect you, as your own person and realize that your interest, desires, and need are no less important than my own. With this ring, I give you my heart, I promise from this day forward, you shall not walk alone. As I have given you my hand to hold, I have given you my life to keep. It sounds weird, don't you think? I was literally telling Hoseok that I don't mind living in darkness if the darkness is you"

"Did you regret it?" Kihyun asked sobbing. Face still buried on Hyunwoo's chest.

"Honestly, there was a time I feel like I made a mistake. There was a time I feel like I am not right person for you. There was a time I feel like I shouldn't leave this island. There was a time I feel like grieving for Dasom is much easier. On our first anniversary, I can't remember my question. But, I remember your answer very well. You said to me, "It's not like I don't want to be with you. I'm just not ready for a forever yet". That is the moment I realized in darkness... no matter how tiny the light is in the darkness, they still shine. That's when I changed my plan. Instead of going into the hollows with you, I decided to search for the tiny light"

"Did you find it?" Kihyun is finally showing his face again.

"I didn't. But, you do. It's like one day you wake up and realize you are no longer having fun living in the darkness and decided to switch on the light" Hyunwoo steal a kiss from his wife's lip."I know you still have some insecurity because we are no like others. But, our love is no ordinary either. I know we don't make sense to others, but we make sense to us... and that's what really matters"

Kihyun smiles. He rewarded Hyunwoo with a kiss because the last few sentences the latter said really make him feel better.

Guess, the kiss should not be initiated.

Three hours later, they are both laying on the suite floor - breathless and clothless.