Part 54

DESTINY

"I bet this coffee machine reminds you of him" Hyunwoo said to gain his friend's attention. He's actually had been standing next to a spacing out Minhyuk for quite some time. "It's been two weeks since he goes on hiatus. The case hearing is tomorrow, right? Is he still unreachable?" he pours a coffee into his cup and take a seat on the couch. 

Minhyuk finally coming back from his spacing out trip and proceed to pour a coffee into his cup which is the reason why he come to the pantry since the cafeteria is already closed at this hour. He then proceeds to take a seat next to Hyunwoo on the couch. Their night shift is barely started so they have a little time to catch up with each other. "The triplet is just coming home like a week ago. I bet Kihyun still need a lot of your help. Most parents with newborn take at least three weeks to adapt after coming home from the hospital. He spent months in the hospital, more reason for you to be with him instead of taking a night shift duty" 

"Kihyun told me to stop babying him" Hyunwoo simply replied, knowing his answer will trigger Minhyuk nagging mood. "My wife is a very independent person, Minhyuk. I've been putting a lot of restrictions on him since we find out about the pregnancy. I know he feel uncomfortable, but he listens to me for the triplet's sake. Now, the babies are here and I know he has a lot at mind with the triplet. The last thing I want him to be worried about is how to comply with his husband's request. I just want him to be comfortable again, to be himself" he explains when Minhyuk just stares at him with his 'you better explain yourself, or I gonna teach you some lesson' look. 

"Is he struggling to adapt with the triplet? I have many patients struggling with their newborn, especially those who have a huge gap between birth" Minhyuk suddenly sound concerned. Through Hyunwoo explanation, it seems like Kihyun is having a difficulty to adapt to their recent addition of family members. 

"Instead of struggling to adapt, it is more like he just wary about Sang Wook. His attention is more on the triplets these days and he keeps checking with me if Sang Wook ever said he feel left out. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this right, but in my point of view... Sang Wook is still excited and enjoying his big brother role" Hyunwoo takes a sip of his coffee.

"It's understandable why Kihyun is wary over Sang Wook. Sang Wook is the one who teaches him how to be a mother. He will always hold a special place in Kihyun's heart" Minhyuk replied as he smiles a little.

"Actually, it's thanks to Sang Wook that we are married now" Hyunwoo added.

"No matter how many children you guys are going to have, Sang Wook is always be the special one. Dasom too" 

"Kihyun literally gamble his well-being for the triplet. Five children are enough for me" Hyunwoo mumbles, but loud enough to be heard by Minhyuk. 

"Good luck convincing Kihyun that. The last time we talked to each other, he said he wanted a daughter" Minhyuk laugh a little at Hyunwoo surprise face. "Despite the risk of birth complication, Kihyun is still allowed to get pregnant, as long as there is a two years gap between pregnancy. I start making a research on how can he give birth through c-sec without disruping his unique biological system a few months ago, it's progressing slow... but all great things come in slow pace" he added hoping it will ease Hyunwoo mind a little. 

"I mostly concern about his health.... and another possibility of having another multiples. We are running out of space" Hyunwoo jokes and Minhyuk laughed.

"Pseudoscience suggests that multiple pregnancy usually depends on the mother's IQ. Kihyun is a lawyer, he reads all the time. With all those knowledge, I dare to say... instead of worrying, you better get prepared. Buy a bigger house or something" Minhyuk jokes back. 

Hyunwoo just laughed it off. "I overheard Kihyun and Hoseok conversation the other day. You and him... ok?" he asked after a moment of silence between them. 

Minhyuk shrugged. "We are in disagreement. He came home a week ago and tell me about the lawsuit. He told me he wanted to fight for Hyungwon and I told him to leave the matter alone. Things have gotten quite awkward between us since then. He is too occupied preparing for the case, despite not knowing Hyungwon will come or not. Such a waste of time actually. So, we haven't actually made up yet. He didn't even spend much time with Chessa these days as he always comes home late. Chessa would be falling asleep while waiting for him. I wonder if Chessa knows something is not right. Her Baba haven't come to see her for a couple of weeks and her daddy is barely spending time with her" he sighed.  

"Trust me, children know. They just don't think about it as much as we do yet" Hyunwoo replied. "But, why don't you let Hoseok help Hyungwon? This lawsuit is his area of expertise. I believe his willingness to help isn't just coming from his friendship or loyalty, but it has also come from his professional knowledge. Honestly, if people like Hoseok think Hyungwon should fight... I would agree"

"I am not worried about this case. I know what Hoseok is capable of, he can win this case easily. But, I'm not a risk taker, Hyunwoo" Minhyuk takes a deep breath and exhales it slowly. "I tested my limits, yes. I defeated impossibilities almost every day" he was talking about how he help infertile couples to have their own offspring, "... but everything I do is always within the safe line"

"I'm not sure I am following" Hyunwoo is a little confused with that statement.

"When Changkyun got hurt and no one have any idea how to make him feel better, Hyungwon fixed him. When Henry closes his world to everyone except Harriet, Hyungwon open the closed door. When your wife was building layers of wall, Hyungwon torn it apart brick my brick. When I lost hope, Hyungwon teaches me this world is still worth it and I did see the worth he was talking about" Minhyuk let out a breath of frustration. "That man, never give up on those who already give up on themselves... that kind of man left his family, Hyunwoo. Instead of tearing down the wall, he solidifies it. Instead of building bridges, he builds a fortress. I am not willing to let Hoseok do what he knows best because I have a feeling that this is bigger than just 'I can't save my sister' thing. I am not sure what it is, but I pretty sure it's a line I should not cross" he voice is a little shaky from his emotion. "I am afraid if we keep pressuring him to stand up for himself, he will leave. What if he left us like he left his family?" 

Hyunwoo keep his silence for a moment. He waited until Minhyuk is calm again, before he said, "He trusted you with his life, Minhyuk. Maybe you should do the same" Hyunwoo random replied make Minhyuk frowned. "If it ever comes to life and death situation, Minhyuk will know what to do. He loves me too much that he won't give up on me easily, but he won't do anything that will make me suffer either" he recites the exact sentence Hyungwon told him before his liver transplant surgery years ago. "He wants you at his deathbed, remember?" 

"What is your point?" 

"Do you think Kihyun will stay after the birth of the twins if he have no slightest feeling?" Hyunwoo asked. "He has a lot of reason to stay actually. It's his house, he lives and work here all his life. But, my point is... he stays because he has feelings here. Hyungwon left his family, that is a fact. But, does he have a feeling there like he have his feeling here? Most importantly, do he trust them like he trusted you with his life?" 

"What should I do, Hyunwoo?" 

"Tomorrow is the hearing. You should go to the court. In case if he shows up. Even if he didn't, at least you will make Hoseok feel better. Without Hyungwon attendance, all his hard work will just go to waste" Hyunwoo simply replied. "You should spend the night at your apartment too. You and Hyungwon completing each other words, thinking about the same thing most of the time. He probably didn't come home because he knows you won't be there waiting for him and that's remind him of his past, Chae Si Woo"

After the talk with Hyunwoo, Minhyuk think about it a lot. Hyunwoo is right. When they are together, he barely needs to ask Hyungwon for anything because the latter just knows without him actually asking. When he forgets what he was saying, Hyungwon completing his sentence for him. He ended up asking his colleagues to replace him for the night since he can't focus on anything. When he reaches home, the first thing he checks is there any sign of Hyungwon coming home. But, everything is just like how he left it this morning. For a couple of weeks, he has only come here to change his clothes. He either spends the night at Hoseok's or he just spend more time at work. "It's really been awhile since I sleep in my own room" he said, but he is entering Hyungwon room instead. "Let's just lay down for a sec" he slowly lay down on Hyungwon's bed. He close his eyes and mentally goes, 'Wonnie-ah, I'm home. You can come back now'

Minhyuk is falling asleep while hoping for a better tomorrow.