The First Meeting

DESTINY

Daniel is standing alone at the intersection of the shops, staring blankly at the passing by people. He keeps standing there until one woman approaches him, and asked him if he need help or something. Instead of telling the women that he need help for his sister, he just pulls the woman's hand to follow him - bringing her to where he left his sister.

"Oh my God, she's burning," the woman stated and carried his sister - Daniel quietly following them.

While the women accompany his sister in the treatment room, Daniel sits in the waiting area by himself. A nurse approaches him, offering a box of milk. Daniel accepted it, say his thanks, and drink it without saying anything else. The nurse excuse herself, return to her desk, which is not far away from where Daniel is sitting.

"He seems a bit off, doesn't he?" the nurse from earlier whispered, but since the clinic is empty - Daniel can hear her well. "Do you think he has a neurodevelopmental condition?"

"I can't say. But, he shows no emotion. A few seconds late, his sister would be really in trouble. The boy isn't even saying anything," the nurse's friend replied.

Daniel keeps listening to the nurses' conversation until the woman from earlier comes out from the treatment room.

"Madam Na, how is she?" the nurse who offered Daniel the milk asked.

"She has to stay here until her fever comes down. I am going home first. Si Woo is all alone. He probably sulking I left him at home again," Madam Na answered politely to the nurse. When she was running a fostering home - she often comes here to bring the children for a check-up and all. Now, she is retired, but people at the clinic still knows her very well. Usually, in a case like this - the clinic will have to notify the police that they have met children wandering around without a guardian and let the police officer bring the children home. However, since Madam Na used to be famous for her social works and providing shelter for children, the clinic often let Madam Na handle the case herself. She goes to Daniel, kneel in front of the boy - to match his eyes level. "Your sister, Dayoung, have to stay here until she feels better. So, I will bring you home. Is that ok?" she said gently.

Daniel nodded. "How do you know our name?"

"A lot of people know you, Daniel. They probably don't remember you well," Madam Na said. "You make our country proud when you make a headline on the news. You solve the complex mathematic question at the age of two," she added.

The nurses can be heard gasping. They seem to know who Daniel is too.

Daniel turns to look at them. Both nurses awkwardly smile at him.

"We will go after you finish your drink," Madam Na said.

Daniel finished his drink and went to throw the box in the trash can. Then, he returns to the women he just met on the street a few hours ago - letting her holding his hand.

"Say goodbye to the nurse," Madam Na said, and Daniel just bow at the nurses without saying anything.

When they reached home, Madam Na immediately brings all the groceries she bought to the kitchen. She makes warm chocolate milk for Daniel and gives him the biscuit she makes this morning before going out to the market. She sighed a little when she notices the biscuit is still the same as she left them this morning. Si Woo is skipping breakfast again. "Daniel, I am going to check on Si Woo. You stay here, ok?" she said before leaving the kitchen.

Madam Na carefully pushes Si Woo's room door open. To her surprise, Kihyun is there too. "Kihyun?"

"Nana," Kihyun greets the caretaker cheerfully.

"When did you reach here?" Madam Na goes to check on the boy, no bruises. Kihyun always comes to sleep here during every long weekend and school holiday, and that boy always comes with new bruises or wound on his body for getting beaten up by his mother. There is no bruise today, which is an infrequent occasion.

"Two hours ago. Si Woo was still sleeping at that time. He just woke up, and I told him to take a shower," Kihyun answered cheerfully.

Madam Na smiles at Si Woo, who is coming out from the washroom.

"Nana! I welcome Kihyun with a hug today!" Si Woo said excitedly.

"I know. Wear your clothes faster. I have a friend waiting for you two in the kitchen," Madam Na said before leaving the room.

A simple sentence that Si Woo said may mean nothing to others. However, since Madam Na know these children story very well - those sentence breaks her heart a little more than she expected. Though Kihyun and Si Woo have been a friend for almost a year now - due to Si Woo special gift, both of them cannot come closer to each other. Si Woo's clairsentient ability give him the ability to pick up people's senses randomly, and distance usually play no role in his ability. The principle is as long as the other person aware of what he is feeling; Si Woo will be able to pick up that sense no matter how far the person is. However, since Kihyun has some psychological condition that makes his brain misinterpreted his body signal - Si Woo can only pick up Kihyun's sense when they are closer than five feet from each other. Since Kihyun always comes here with an injury, the two stays five feet apart from each other for all this time.

"I think Nana is tricking us again. I don't sense anyone," Si Woo said as he is choosing what to wear from his closet.

When the boys come to the kitchen, they froze at the sight of a new kid.

"You said you are not sensing anyone," Kihyun whispered.

"Maybe I am no longer weird" Si Woo pinch Kihyun on his cheek hard - he can feel that. He frowned as he takes a look at the boy who is looking at them blankly.

"You guys are here. Let me introduce you to Daniel," Madam Na said as she serves two cups of hot chocolate on the table. "Daniel, this is Kihyun... and this is Si Woo. Kihyun only comes here during weekends and school vacations. Si Woo stays here with me," she explained - noticing the confused look on Si Woo face. "Daniel will stay here until his sister is discharged from the hospital," she added.

Kihyun keeps staring. After his mother, this is the first time he meets someone without facial expression.

That night...

While Madam Na goes to the hospital to check on Dayoung - the boys are staying home by themselves. Si Woo and Kihyun are in the living room doing their homework. Meanwhile, Daniel is in the study room - reading some books.

"Why do you think I couldn't feel him?" Si Woo starts a conversation.

"Nana brought him home. Maybe he is different, too," Kihyun simply replied.

"Shall we talk to him?" Si Woo suggested as he takes a look at the study room.

"What are you going to say to him?" Kihyun asked. "He barely talks back," he added.

"You are good at talking. You make me talk to you," Si Woo replied.

Kihyun shakes his head. "Daniel reminds me of my mother. My mother does not have a facial expression like Daniel too."

"You said you are not afraid of your mother."

"I don't. But I am worried if we keep bugging him, Daniel will get angry and beat us."

Si Woo sighed at what Kihyun said. "But, I want to befriend him."

A sudden blackout.

"Oh no, Daniel is alone," Kihyun rushes to the study room. Between him and Si Woo, Kihyun has stayed here longer, so he memorizes every corner of the room even with his eyes close.

Afraid of being alone in the living room, Si Woo chase after Kihyun.

"Daniel, where are you?" Kihyun asked loudly.

Instead of receiving an answer, they heard something broken.

Kihyun follows the sound - and thanks to the moonlight from the window, he can see Daniel silhouette in the corner of the room. "Are you ok?" he asked and notices there is blood dripping from Daniel's forehead.

"You must think the closet is the door out," Si Woo commented as he takes a look at the closet. The broken statue must have hit Daniel's head before it hit the floor.

Kihyun retrieved the first aid box from the closet and used it to clean Daniel's wound.

"You cannot feel pain, aren't you?" Si Woo asked.

"How do you know?" Daniel asked back.

"Si Woo is special. He can feel other people well. I cannot feel well. Si Woo helps me a lot," Kihyun explained as he gently put an ointment on Daniel's forehead.

"Is that why you always get tired?" Daniel asked again. "The plumber come this afternoon. He makes you tired, right?"

"You notices?" Si Woo is surprised. They only know each other for less than 24 hours now, but Daniel already notices about this. "That plumber work more than two jobs a day. He is exhausted," he added.

"You are very observant, Daniel," Kihyun complimented before putting the first aid box back in the closet.

"Because I cannot feel well, my father told me to always focuses on my surrounding. I don't know why but I can't perceive emotion and feeling well," Daniel said.

"Really?" Si Woo frowned a little. "You are worst than Kihyun. Kihyun cannot feel well because his body keeps misinterpreting his body signal. When he feels the scale ten kind of pain, his brain will tell him it is lower than ten."

"Why?" Daniel is curious.

"I don't know either. Father said it has something to do with my mother," Kihyun tries to remember the lengthy explanation his father told him before. Still, all he can remember is it something about his basic need as a baby is not adequately fulfilled.

"Kihyun's mother hates him. She keeps hitting him," Si Woo interrupted.

"My mother is just sick. She won't hit me after she gets better" Kihyun is a bit upset that Si Woo keeps saying his mother does not love him.

"My mother makes me study a lot. I can solve the hardest question, but I couldn't express myself well," Daniel said.

"Maybe that's why you become an empty can," Si Woo mumbles.

"That's not nice," Kihyun reprimanded Si Woo.

"It's true," Si Woo argued back. "But we can help you. After my sister passed away, I read a lot about the human body. I read all the books over there. That's a science section—my favorite part of the library. Kihyun favorite section is over there. It's the self-improvement section. If Kihyun and I can combine our knowledge, we can help you," he said to Daniel, not knowing that Daniel is one of the smartest boy he might ever meet.

"Right," Kihyun exclaimed. "What is the most thing you are curious about?" he asked.

"Friend," Daniel answered.

"Problem one solved. We are going to be your friend," Si Woo said as he hugs both Kihyun and Daniel.

The electricity is back.

"Let's clean this mess before nana come home," Kihyun said.

While Si Woo left to take a plastic bag, Kihyun and Daniel pick up the broken statue with their bare hand.

"Did you hurt your hand?" Si Woo asked as soon as he entered the room.

Kihyun checks his hand, and there are tiny cuts on his finger. "A little," he added.

"You cannot feel that?" Daniel asked.

"His brain keeps reducing the level of pain he is feeling. That's why he wasn't really aware," Si Woo said as he wipes Kihyun's blood with his shirt.

After they are done cleaning, all three of them left the study room. They go to the kitchen to wash their hand, and that's when Si Woo notices a bloody footstep on the floor.

"Daniel, I think you step on the glass," Si Woo said as he goes to check on Daniel's feet. He was unintentionally making the boy almost fall from losing his balance. Luckily, Kihyun is fast to catch him. He pulls out the glass and throws it to the dustbin. Then, return to Daniel and told him to get on his back, making Daniel frowned. "I am strong. I used to carry my sick sister around," he added.

Kihyun helps the hesitant Daniel to get onto Si Woo back. "Clean his wound properly. I will mop the floor," he said.

"Come faster. Let's play games together," Si Woo replied before he heads to his room. He makes Daniel sit on his bed before treating the wounded leg. "You make me realize something today. Because I can feel everything well, I used to think not being able to feel is a great thing. But.... you step on the glass and walking around with your feet bleeding - I realized today that pain isn't a bad thing. It's actually keeping us safe.”

Daniel just stares blankly at Si Woo.

"Since you cannot keep yourself safe, I will protect you. At least until your sister is discharged," Si Woo said while smiling.

Kihyun comes with a pair of new slippers. "Wear this if you are going anywhere in the house, ok? It's dangerous if you are walking barefooted. You might step on something sharp."

Daniel stares quietly at Si Woo and Kihyun. He might not be able to perceive complex emotions, but he can tell that Si Woo and Kihyun genuinely care about him. "I think I will be missing you two after I left"

"You know what missing is?" Si Woo asked.

"My sister said missing is when we think about other people a lot. I think I will be thinking about you two a lot," Daniel explained.

"So, you feel with your brain," Si Woo said before he nods for no apparent reason.

"Maybe," Daniel replied. "Brain is a very important organ. It cannot be replaced like our other organ," he added.

"That's why memory is very important," Kihyun said. "I read in the book. It says, people may change, but memories remain"

"But, memory can be forgotten," Daniel replied.

"The book also said that the best memories are often the forgotten one because human nature is to remember bad things longer than the good things," Kihyun said.

"Really?" Daniel sounded like he was questioning the statement.

"If we have forgotten about each other when we grow up, is that mean we are each other good memory?" Si Woo asked.

"That's what the book says," Kihyun replied.

"If we cannot stay together forever, let's forget each other then," Si Woo suggested.

With that, all three of them innocently make a verbal promise and stamped it with their finger.