Part 17

DESTINY

"I'm sorry," Kim Minjoo, the CEO of The Hope Foundation in Korea says as she walks into her office. Two lawyers are already waiting for her and she genuinely apologizes for making them wait for her. "I know I should be meeting you guys a lot earlier than now. But, I was occupied with Hillary's funeral" she added as she takes her seat. 

"Hillary's funeral?" Hoseok asks while exchanging a look with Kihyun. 

"Hillary Lim. The eldest of three children passed away" 

"What?" Hoseok is taken aback. 

"We are representing these children. Why aren't we informed?" Kihyun asks. 

"It's happening very fast, Lawyer Yoo. Just last week we were told that her health improved. A few days later, she was found dead on her own bed. A complete lung failure. I'm sure the representation notification letter reached my table a lot earlier than yesterday. But, I was only reading it yesterday. I'm really sorry" she explains calmly. 

"How are Henry and Harriet?" Hoseok asks. 

"Harriet is pretty calm about it. She said it's better for Hillary because she doesn't have to suffer anymore. Henry... becomes more protective over Harriet. Our counsellor is giving their best for these children" Minjoo take off her glasses. "But, I was informed you guys didn't come here for these children. I believe you are here to ask about Daniel Lim. Actually, that file is put in the box by mistake. Daniel Lim's case is very sensitive so we hope you can keep this matter private"

"We thought so too. But, I went through the file and I think you maybe can help us clarify some issues" Kihyun starts carefully. 

"Private and confidential apply?" Minjoo asks and receives a nod. "What about him you need to know?"

"Everything you can tell us" Hoseok answered. 

"Well, Daniel Lim is one of our volunteers. If I'm not mistaken, he joins our Prague branch, it was when our team over there, needed a surgeon to perform brain surgery on one of our patients. The patient is pretty controversial and since it may cause some political issues, many surgeons refuse to help. Then, we heard about this young brilliant surgeon from the Beyond Border program. So, we approach him. He agreed to help and he naturally becomes a part of our family member" Minjoo sighed. "A great poor man"

"What do you mean by 'poor man'? "Kihyun asks while frowning. 

"After Prague, Daniel moves to our branch in Moscow. That's where he meets these children. It's our SOP to help these rescued people return back to society.  Daniel's presence makes their recovery process easier, so we thought it was time we let the children mingle in public again. We overlooked the fact that the gang may still have been tracking these children. One day, when Daniel and our caretaker bring these children to do groceries...the gang succeeded in abducting Hillary and Harriet. While our caretaker takes Henry to our safe house...Daniel took things into his own hands. He manages to get the sisters back and that incident becomes the talk of the town. A full investigation was launched and the gang operation is paralyzed. For safety reasons, we transfer all four of them to our small facility in Cambodia. Worried the gang can still track the children so we changed the three siblings' names. Hillary Lim was Sarah Fawkes, Henry Lim was Sean Fawkes, and Harriet Lim was Sheara Fawkes" 

"Lim? Daniel adopted these children?" Hoseok ask. 

"No. We let the children pick their own names. They requested to be named after him." 

"According to the file, Daniel Lim was found injured in Cambodia. But, I found a John Doe ID attached to his file. Why is that?"

"For protection" Minjoo takes a deep breath. "One night, we got a phone call from Henry. It's been two days since Daniel did not come home. So, we launched our search team to search for him. But, Daniel is already found injured by local people and already treated in a hospital. We want to play safe and investigated a little about what happened. Apparently, it was the group. They wanted payback. Daniel puts their Moscow operations on paralyzed and they wanted Daniel dead. If they know Daniel is still alive, they will come for him. So, we come to an agreement to bring him back to Korea as John Doe. It's quite hard to bring him back actually. So, we had to call his old team from the beyond border program for help. As they work beyond the borders, they have much immunity so it's easier for them to work with such a delicate case like this"

Kihyun and Hoseok look at each other with a sigh.

"You guys are hired to reverse the decision made by the Minister of Foreign Affairs. But, at how I look at this....it seems like you guys are more interested in Daniel Lim's case" Minjoo commented as she leans on her chair. Something is not right here, she thought. "Please don't tell me you guys are going to risk your lives to investigate this organized crime. They are everywhere. It's dangerous. We tried to do that once and realize that we can't make this world better for everyone. So, we play safe and focus to make the world better for some of us" 

"No, that's not it. We want to but we don't have enough resources" Hoseok replied. 

"So, what is this all about?" 

"Daniel Lim is..." Kihyun paused. He looks at Hoseok as he wonders if he should tell the CEO or not.

"You know who he is?" Minjoo takes a guess. 

"Daniel Lim is my family" Kihyun blurts out. 

"Oh my god," Minjoo gasped. "I'm really sorry" she added.

***************************

Hyunwoo stares at his phone blankly. A knock on his door. He looks up and sees Hyungwon leaning on his office door. 

"How long have you been there?" Hyunwoo asks while taking off his glasses. 

"10 minutes" Hyungwon walks in and takes a seat in front of Hyunwoo. "You are spacing out. Is everything ok?" he asks.

No answered. Just an awkward smile from Hyunwoo. 

"Still thinking about your John Doe patient treatment?" Hyungwon takes a guess from the picture he saw on Hyunwoo's computer screen. "There's nothing much we can do about John Doe patients until we found out who they are. You know that, don't push yourself too hard"

"I'm not sure if it is your psychiatrist skill or you just have a mind-reading ability" Hyunwoo commented. 

"It's easy to guess" Hyunwon replied. "You don't have any info about him yet?" 

"Actually, I do. I just don't know how to announce it yet" Hyunwoo sighed. 

"Is that why you call me here?" Hyungwon straightened his posture. He takes Hyunwoo's phone when the surgeon held it out for him to see. Hyungwon zooms in on the document as he tries to read it. It's a DNA test result.

Hyunwoo watches his friend's reaction carefully.

"What?" Hyungwon stares at Hyunwoo in disbelief. "How?"

"I was helping Kihyun with his stateless child case a few days ago. We come across this Daniel Lim file. There's a picture...and I requested a DNA test. The result has come out today"

"They are 99.98 per cent matched" Hyungwon is still in disbelief. "Oh my god.. it's... he..." he can't talk properly.

Minhyuk entered the ICU and approaches his friends. Both Hyunwoo and Hyungwon are staring at the unconscious John Doe. 

"What are you calling me here for?" Minhyuk asks as he looks around. "I don't think you need my help here" he added when he receives no answer. 

"Try looking at him carefully," Hyungwon said. 

Minhyuk takes a look at John Doe and flinches at the broken face. Even though the face healed but the injury traces is still noticeable. 

"Aren't you supposed to call for a plastic surgeon? I'm an OB" Minhyuk look away from John Doe and shakes his head a little. 

"Dr. Sohn?" an intern walks in. 

"Yes, Dr. Han" Hyunwoo look at the intern. 

"The centre just call and as you predicted they have no matched liver for him. The good news is the lab has already come back with the test result. Both of you and Dr. Chae are matched to him. But, Dr. Chae is higher in compatibility percentage than you are" she told her chief. "I wonder how are we going to pro..."

"Use mine," Hyungwon said without thinking much. 

Hyunwoo just nodded. 

"Then, I should go and prepare for Dr. Chae's admission," the intern says before she left the ICU. 

"What is this all about?" Minhyuk ask. Starting to get anxious. 

"I'm donating my liver to him" Hyungwon answered as he looks at Minhyuk deeply. "I'm donating my liver to our Changkyun".

Minhyuk feels his heartbeat skip a beat. "That's a terrible joke, guys" he refuses to believe what he just heard. "Changkyun is out there. He's...." he looks at John Doe again. "No... " 

"I've run a DNA test, Minhyuk. He is our Changkyun" Hyunwoo said. 

"No. Changkyun is out there, somewhere... doing his humanitarian work. He will be coming home soon" Minhyuk is in denial. 

"Changkyun is here. He's already home, Minhyuk" Hyungwon whisper as he cupped his housemate's face. 

"The shooting incident and the last time he contacted us...the timeline fits" Hyunwoo squeeze Minhyuk's shoulder gently. 

Minhyuk observes John Doe's face and his body carefully. He starts seeing Changkyun on him but still denies it in his mind. He comes closer to the bed and lifted up the blanket that covers John Doe's leg. He sees a scar on the ankle and he remembers Changkyun have the exact scar from his ankle injury years ago.

"It's really him, Minhyuk," Hyungwon said gently.

"Did Jooheon know?" Minhyuk asks, try not to cry. 

"I called. They told me that he is escorting a patient to England. So, I sent him an email. I believe he will contact us once he read it" Hyunwoo explains.

Minhyuk then fixes the blanket again. He has a lot of questions in his mind, but he has no strength to voice them out. So, he just stands beside the bed. Staring blankly at the unconscious man, trying to understand the mixed feeling he is in.