Part 25

DESTINY

"Kiki-ah, do you know that there is a difference between a mistake and a sin?. A mistake is something that you did, thinking it was right but it was wrong. A sin is something that you know is wrong. However, both are redeemable" 

Kihyun is barely conscious. But, he can feel someone is rubbing his hair gently and whispering. He tries to open his eyes but ended up groaning in the process. 

"Wake up, Kiki. Remember when you told me you are the reason why your parents died?. You probably don't remember that. You told me about it in the ICU. Your parents were shielding you, that's how you survive. But, I know you and your parents don't have a good relationship. So, I lied to you. I said you were in the room while your parents are in the ballroom. That's why they died and you survive. When the drug wears off, you got confused between the conflicting memories and you become depressed. So, I told you to do the electroconvulsive therapy and you forgot about it completely. It's ok, Kiki. It's time for you to make up for it. I will help you redeem that sin for you. Then, I will redeem my sin toward you. After that, we can be together again"

After seconds of struggling, Kihyun successfully opening his eyes. He's in a daze and his whole body aches. It feels like he was electrocuted or something. He looks around and sees a blurry image of a woman's body in front of him. Though he is still adapting to the brightness he is aware that he is bound to a chair. He closes his eyes again and tries his best to remember what had happened. He remembers waking up early and making breakfast for his family before leaving for work. He has a court case this morning so Hyunwoo is the one who will drop Sang Wook at the daycare today. He remembered talking on the phone with Jooheon. But, he can't remember the conversation or anything after that. It's like his memory is deleted or hidden. He wonders if this is how Changkyun is feeling to remember part of him and forgot the other part of him. When Kihyun opened his eyes again, just like he predicted, he sees Choi Yeojoo face right in front of him. She's the only one who ever calls him 'Kiki'. The last time he had seen his ex-girlfriend was on the day the judge read her imprisonment sentence. 

"Let's start with your redemption straight away," she said happily. She then left to the table and start working on something. 

"What happened?" Kihyun wonders how did he end up like this. 

"After my release, I went to see you. But you were busy. So, I waited for you every day. But, those guys never leave you alone. It makes me mad. You are already tired from working so hard, but they never leave you alone. When I put you in the car, you are so light. Is it because you are lack rest or it is because I work out a lot in my cell?. I bring you here so you can sleep and rest. It's refreshing right after a long sleep?" Yeojoo returns to Kihyun with a syringe in her hand. 

"You followed me?" Kihyun starts to worry about his safety and tries to get free, but the restrains on his hands and legs is too tight.

"Don't fight it, Kiki. This is your redemption" Yeojoo easily injected Kihyun with the syringe despite his attempt to break free. She then kissed Kihyun on his forehead before she returns to the table again. 

A knock on the door. 

Yeojoo got mad that her alone time with Kihyun is disturbed. When she goes to open the door, Kihyun saw the knife in her back pocket. Kihyun wanted to yell to warn the unexpected guest but someone covered his mouth. 

"Calm down. We are here for you" Prosecutor Kwak whisper to him. 

Kihyun is between surprised and glad to see his friend. Then, he notices Hyunwoo is searching for something on the table. The view of his husband just keeps getting blurry and blurry as he lost his consciousness. 

The sound of a broken vase and sounds of people fighting can be heard from the front door. 

Prosecutor Kwak lifted up his friend and bring him out from the house through the back door. Hyunwoo is following him closely.

"Its adenosine. I don't know how much dosage she has given him, can't find the antidote" Hyunwoo help the prosecutor to put Kihyun down on the hard cold ground. He starts CPR as soon as he had checked Kihyun vital signs.  

Prosecutor Kwak runs to the front door. Hoseok is in the middle of pinning Yeojoo down the floor. Hyungwon is looking daze, scattered broken vase pieces near him. He now understands where the broken sound comes from. 

"Got to search her for the antidote" Prosecutor Kwak informs Hoseok as he starts checking Yeojoo's pocket. He found a bottle written 'aminophylline' on it and a syringe in her pocket.

"No!" Yeojoo screams when she sees the prosecutor left with the antidote. "Only I can perform the redemption for him!" 

Hoseok patience is running low. So, he knocks Yeojoo out with one punch. Then, he kicks the knife away from Yeojoo before he checks on Hyungwon. 

"Is it working?" Prosecutor Kwak asked. 

"No, not enough dose" Hyunwoo starts doing CPR again. "How long the ambulance will be here?" 

"5 minutes" Prosecutor Kwak wanted to help but he has no idea what to do so he just sits there and starts timing. He saw a police car coming. One of the neighbours may have reported them to the police, he thought. 

"Prosecutor Kwak?"

"Officer Yoon, you're Choi Yeojoo parole officer?" the prosecutor sound surprised. 

"Yeah, I came to check on her because she didn't check in to me today. She supposed to check-in in the morning and in the noon" the officer explains as he takes a look at the man who is receiving CPR on the hard cold ground. "Is that Lawyer Yoo?" his eyes are wide open. "I know she still obsessed with him, but I don't think she will ever do something like this"

"I found a second-generation antipsychotics meds in her room. I believe she hasn't taken them for a while now" Hyungwon told the prosecutor, but his eyes are focusing on Hyunwoo. "Hoseok is there, making sure she won't run away if she happens to wake up" he continued. 

"That explains her extreme behaviour" Officer Yoon commented. He returns to his car to take his radio and inform the station about the situation. When he is about to request a medical team, he saw an ambulance.

Upon seeing the paramedic is coming to them, Hyungwon pulls Hyunwoo away so the paramedics can take over while he calms him down. 

"I gave him the antidote but he's not coming back" Hyunwoo sound like he is about to cry. Eyes fixed on the paramedic trying their best to make Kihyun's heartbeat again. "He's leaving, isn't he?" 

"You can't crumble down right now" Hyungwon replied as he squeezes both Hyunwoo's hands tightly. He looks into his friend's eyes and he can see Hyunwoo is having the flashback of Dasom's death. "Hyunwoo looks at me" he cupped Hyunwoo face with his hand, forcing the man to look at him. "Don't go back to Dasom, Hyunwoo" he pleaded. "She is your past. He is not her. Your Kihyun is not your Dasom. Kihyun is the mother of your child. He survives the cruise explosion, he survives the assault, he survives your children's birth. He's a survivor. You got to trust him"

"When Dasom passed away, I don't even know where she is. So, I can still have the slightest hope, I can still seek the comforts imagining that she is somewhere out there because I don't know for sure" Hyunwoo is no longer holding his tears. "My hand was on his chest, Hyungwon. I feel it in my hands. His heartbeat stopped in my hands" 

"20 minutes" Hyungwon blurts out. "I was dead for 20 minutes, but you don't give up on me because you believe me, you was believing in yourself. You believe you can bring me back and that's why I choose you to performs the surgery because you always know what exactly you need to do when a complication arises" he takes a deep breath to calm himself down. "You become the Chief of Accident and Emergency at a very young age because you are remarkable. If you can't trust Kihyun surviving skill, at least have faith in your medical skill"

Hyunwoo dries his tears as he looks at Hyungwon. He remembered the day Hyungwon crashing on his OR table as if it was just yesterday. Hyungwon is right. This is not the time for him to crumble down. This is the time for him to show his true ability. He always gives his best for his patient and he absolutely should be giving all he has for his wife. So, he takes a deep breath to calm himself down and gather his courage.  

"Don't give up on him yet" Hyungwon said and Hyunwoo nodded to him like three years old who try to stop himself from crying. He gives Hyunwoo a pat on the back before letting him return to help the paramedics. He saw Hoseok is helping Officer Yoon to bring Yeojoo to the car. The woman is conscious and looking confused. There is a bruise on her cheek most likely was caused by the punch Hoseok give her earlier. "May I talk to her?" he asked.

"Make it quick" Officer Yoon make sure he handcuffed her to the mental bar in the car, as a precaution. 

Hyungwon entered the back seat, he sits next to the woman who seems unaware of her surroundings. 

Hoseok and Officer Yoon step away from the car to give the psychiatrist some privacy. 

"He got hit with a vase, but still have the gut to be in the same space as her" Prosecutor Kwak commented as Hoseok is approaching him. Officer Yoon is talking on his phone, probably getting scolded by his superior because he looks stressed out. "You shouldn't punch a woman, Hoseok" he added. 

"There is always an exception to the general rule, Mr. Prosecutor" Hoseok replied. Honestly, he wants to do more than one punch. After what she has done to Kihyun, Hoseok is in the view she deserves a round of beaten up sessions or maybe a few rounds. Luckily, he manages to hold himself back and he actually feels glad he didn't follow what his heart is telling him to do. "I told you I wasn't being jealous when I said I hate her" his heart is breaking at the view of Kihyun lying lifelessly on the ground. 

"Honestly, I hate her since day one too. I just didn't show it as much as you do." Prosecutor Kwak replied. 

The first snowfall of the year occurred. 

"They said if you spend the first snow with your crush, true love will blossom between you. Look at the situation we are in right now" the prosecutor sighed.

"Pulse! We got a pulse!" one of the paramedics suddenly screams excitedly.