Part 55

DESTINY

"When we are at the community meeting earlier, why didn't you say anything? That granny is telling everyone we are a gay couple. You don't even let me clear the misunderstanding. I wonder how did he know we bought this apartment together" Minhyuk said as he washing the dishes. 

"For what? People believe what they choose to believe. Us, explaining ourselves make the accusation seem real. Silence is better since it will make them wonder" Hyungwon simply replied as he brewing his coffee.  "Dating you isn't bad though. You have a big heart and a great personality, you care about me and I care about you"

"If you really care about me, how about listening to my advice for once? Reduce your caffeine intake please" Minhyuk replied as he give Hyungwon a disapproving look. It's 9 o'clock at night, but the psychiatrist is brewing some strong shot americano. "Are you planning to stay up late?" 

"Nope. Just feel like drinking it"

"I'm worried about your stomach" 

"Your birthday is coming. Anything you want from me?" Hyungwon try to change the topic. 

"Yeah, I want you to start drinking coffee moderately" Minhyuk replied as he smiles. 

"Because you are worried about my health right?"  Hyungwon received a soft 'yes' from Minhyuk. "Then, I will give you something that will ease your heart" he replied with a smile too. 

A few weeks later, on his birthday, Minhyuk found an envelope on his bed. He picks up the envelope and take out the document inside it. 

At an event of Mr. Chae Hyungwon unable to make an appearance or make a decision for himself, Mr. Lee Minhyuk will be permitted to do so as his trustee.

This appointment is valid from the signature date until any nullification made in writing at a later date. 

"What is this?" Minhyuk is confused at what he was reading. Then, he saw the sticky note on his bed. Probably fall down when he pull out the document earlier. 

Happy Birthday, Minhyuk-ie! 

This is my gift for you. You are concern if I can't take care of myself anymore, aren't you?
With this, you don't have to worry anymore. 
If anything happen to me, you will have access to whatever is mine

Love you! 
Let's celebrate after I am done with work tonight, ok?

"Dr. Lee"

Minhyuk come back from his flashback. He pretty sure he's been staring at the document in front of him for quite some time now. 

"Is there any term you would like for me to explain?" Lawyer Kim asked. He wonders if the doctor has difficulty to understand any of the clause since his eyes look a little lost while going through it. 

"No" Minhyuk smiles a little. "I was just thinking about him" he added. "Do you know that I have the power to make legal decision for him because he drafted a legal document as a joke years ago?  It was when we just started living together"

"I've heard that from Lawyer Lee. But, in my point of view... he seems like he mean it" Lawyer Kim replied. "I've seen the copy. It is a well drafted trust documentation. It even has a special clause. I doubted he drafted it by himself. I pretty sure he consulted a lawyer. His intention to make you as his trustee is very clear"

Minhyuk just shrugged because he never actually read the trust paper Hyungwon prepared properly. "If I sign this, I will become his face, his voice, his front line soldier... right?"

"Yes, you are his trustee. You have his power of attorney. With the successor transaction sealed last week, it makes Chae Hyungwon the largest shareholder in the group. He has the right to vote, to make  a decision... and until he coming back, you will execute that power for him" Lawyer Kim explained.

Minhyuk give it a thought for a moment. He takes a deep breath and put down his signature. 

Lawyer Kim takes the document and sealed it. 

"Now, you are officially the interim CEO of the group" Lawyer Kim said as he gives a copy of the document to the doctor. "In the meantime, I will be acting for you and Lawyer Lee Hoseok will be your advisor" he added. "My secretary will keep in touch with your for the appointment ceremony" 

Minhyuk just nodded. He suddenly feels unsure about this.  

Flashback to 6 months ago...

"Sorry to bother you. I know you have to sleep for your big day tomorrow, I mean this morning. It's just four hours away, to be more specific" Minhyuk blurts out. "But, I have something to show you" he give the envelope to Hoseok. 

Hoseok who is still half awake take the envelope from Minhyuk and struggle to read what is written on it. Instead of the document, he is more eager to know why is Minhyuk decided to 'raid' his room at this hour. 

"You need to sit up" Minhyuk pull the half-awake lawyer to sit and pull out the document from the envelope for him to go through it. 

"Wait... this..." Hoseok is finally wide awake. He looks at Minhyuk asking for a further explanation with his eyes. 

"He gave me this on my birthday years ago. It's stated here... " Minhyuk pointed at the duty clause, "I can make decisons or appear for him. If this is valid, then I can make appearance for him in the court this morning, right?" 

"Wait, you want to appear for him?" Hoseok is confused. 

"He won't come, Hoseok... and I don't want your hard work to be thrown away just like that. Make me his proxy, you can use me" 

Hoseok can see the determination in Minhyuk eyes. The documentation is valid and Minhyuk is willing to help. End of story. But, he really wonders what make Minhyuk change his mind. He still  remembered clearly a week ago, they almost got into a fight over this matter. 

"I had a talk with Hyunwoo and it make me think" Minhyuk mumbles. 

"Talk about what?" Hoseok suddenly wonder if Minhyuk have the power to read peoples mind like Hyungwon too.

"Stuff, but... it makes me realize, when Hyungwon left his family, no one ever fight for him. No one is trying to bring him home... and I am doing the same thing. The night the triplets was born, he comes to see me" Minhyuk sighed. "I was attending Hyunsik at that time, so I don't really think much about what he said. He said he needed time and space to think, and I said ok. I let him go without trying to make him stay. I should have begged him to let me stay by his side, to support him... but I didn't. He left and I have no idea where he is or when will he come back"

"It's not your fault, Minhyuk" Hoseok reach out to hold Minhyuk's hand. 

"He wants me at his deathbed, Hoseok. He trusted me with his life and I let him go just like that" Minhyuk voice shakes a little. "Let me help you. It's the only way I can redeem myself" 

Hoseok is starting to feel emotional too. He nodded before he pull sMinhyuk into a hug. "This case will be easily dismissed if he makes his appearance. But, if he don't... we will do our best for him, ok?" he whispers. 

"Yes. Let's win for him" Minhyuk replied as he hug Hoseok tightly. 

That's how their fight begin. 

Today...

After the signing, Minhyuk drives back to the hospital. Honestly, the past six months are quite blurred in Minhyuk memory. Everything is happening so fast and very unfamiliar to him. He remembers he came to the court that day and hoping anxiously that Hyungwon will make an unexpected appearance. Of course, it didn't happen. His mind went blank the moment he steps into the chamber. Just like what Hoseok told him, since Hyungwon didn't make his appearance by himself, the case prolongs to almost three months before the case got struck out with cost. According to Hoseok, struck out with cost mean JJ Group will have to pay them for their legal proceeding cost and other expenses. A double win for them. 

The inheritance process is more tricky. In every meeting, those BOD and their legal advisor will use these all bombastic word and it makes Minhyuk lost in the conversation. Most of the time, Hoseok will speak for him as he gets lost in his own thought. It such a luck the BOD didn't mentioned anything about Hyungwon juvenile record. It's either they didn't know about it or they are going to use it as their final blow. After few weeks of frequent meeting with the BOD to answer their inquiries, Hoseok find out the real reason why this group is trying to delay the inheritance process. It turns out the older brother of Hyungwon's grandfather is claiming his right as the co-founder of the company which make them have to make a lengthy research on the company foundation history.

When JJ Group was first founded by the Chae's brothers which is Chae Hyungsik and Chae Hyungjin, the company is known as a C Corporation. They are selling crops like fruit and vegetable. Due to misunderstanding between the brothers, the older brother Chae Hyungsik decided to depart from the company and open his own business. Chae Hyungjin continue working on the company growth on his own and then inherit it to his son, Chae Jihoon which is Hyungwon's father. Jihoon later merge the company with his wife, Baek Jinyoung and renamed the company from C Corporation to JJ Group. From only selling the fresh product, they are now also selling organic and processed product too. 

The JJ Group is facing crisis for almost four years now when Chae Hyungsik suddenly return and claim his right as the co-founder of the group. However, Chae Jihoon refuse to grant his claim and that causing a crisis within the group. According to their research, it seems like Chae Hyungsik company is about to go bankrupt due to some bribery scandal. Hoseok is on the view that Chae Hyungsik claiming his right over JJ Group is because he going to use his stock as the co-founder to pay off his company debt. Minhyuk think so too. For almost four years, Chae Hyungsik is secretly buying the share from the minority shareholder which lead to Chae Jihoon decision to hired an audit lawyer to watch over the company management, which coincidently happened to be Hoseok. With the audit lawyer to monitor their management, it puts Chae Hyungsik plan to become a major shareholder in secret on hold. There is a part of Minhyuk thought that the accident which killed both of Hyungwon's parents is not a mere accident, but he keeps his thought to himself. He also becoming more worried about Hyungwon safety as the day passed by. What if Hyungwon could not come home because Chae Hyungsik is holding him hostage? But, again, Minhyuk keeps those thought to himself. 

It actually thanks to Prosecutor Kwak, Hyungwon's father will is finally executed. The prosecutor is working on a power abuse case by the conglomerate family, Chae Hyungsik is one of the name listed on the long list. Based from the evidence he gathered, all the shares he bought is considered invalid. Since the oppressed minority shareholder is no longer interested in the group, they ended up selling those shares to public. 

Incoming text notification. 

Minhyuk slide his phone screen as he waits for the traffic light to turn green.

Hoseok: Come to this location now

Minhyuk frowned. Though, he is heading to the hospital right now, he actually already applied to be on leave just in case if anything happens at the signing. Thank God, it went smoothly. He thinks about it for a moment. "Let's just skip work today" he said. So, he set the location to his GPS and go to meet Hoseok instead. 

"What is this place?" Minhyuk asked when he sees Hoseok coming to get him in the parking lot. 

"This is the Hope Foundation, Korea Branch" Hoseok answered briefly as he pull the Obgyn to walk with him. 

"The what?" Minhyuk heard what Hoseok is saying, he just can't see the rational of them coming here. 

"I want you to meet someone" Hoseok replied as he open the door for Minhyuk to enter.

"Someone here?" Minhyuk asked as he turn to look at Hoseok behind him. Accidentally bumped to someone at the door. 

"This is the friend you are talking about?" 

Minhyuk turn to look at the owner of the voice. He froze, speechless. 

"Lee Minhyuk, I am introducing you... this is Chae Si Woo" Hoseok said. 

Minhyuk is in disbelief. The tall man in front of him look exactly like Chae Hyungwon. But, Hoseok introduce him as Chae Si Woo. Wait, what? Is Hyungwon have a twin that he have no idea about? He knows Hyungwon volunteer for the Hope Foundation every now and then. Is this the reason why Hyungwon coming here without asking him to come with him even once? To hide his twin existence?