Part 39

DESTINY

Jooheon squirms on the bed as he tries to avoid the bright sunlight. He reached the hotel around 6 o'clock this morning and fall asleep without even changing his clothes. After a second of struggling to open his eyes, he sees an unfamiliar silhouette in his hotel room. "Who are you?" he asks making the person jumped in surprise. "Oh, room service," he said when he can see clearer.  

"I'm sorry. I thought this room was empty. I will come back later" the lady left as soon after she closes the curtain again. 

Jooheon looks around and there is no sign of Changkyun or the children. "They must have left to the pool already" he mumbles as he drags his tired body to the bathroom. 

There are not many people in the pool area because the weather is getting colder these days. It's the end of summer anyway. As Jooheon approaches the pool, he can hear Jinhee voice screaming excitedly at how much Jinwoo swimming has improved. Instead of joining them, he chooses to sit at the edge of the pool with his leg soak in the water. 

"Jooheon!" Hyungwon waves to the paediatrician to join them in the water. When he receives a head shake, Hyungwon decided to swim to him. "What time you came last night?" 

"I come this morning" Jooheon answered. Eyes are fixed on Hyunwoo who is teaching his children to swim. Hoseok is helping the neurosurgeon. "Hyunwoo quit swimming for years but he still has the skill" he commented. 

"Yeah, sometimes I forget that he was a former athlete. If only he chooses to join the national team than medical school, he will be the national pride by now" Hyungwon pull himself up to sit next to Jooheon. "How was your twins patient?" he asked. 

"The older twin received her father's liver 5 days ago. She's responding well to her treatment. As for the younger twin, she just received the liver from the centre yesterday. I left as soon as I can because I promise the kids I will come" Jooheon simply replied. He turns to look at Hyungwon who seem can't stop staring at him. "Are you trying to read my mind? We plan this vacation so we can escape our demanding world for a moment and you still choose to work. Just tell me what do you want to know" 

"The girl who comes in with second-degree burns, three weeks ago. Why does she freak you out so much?" Hyungwon asked and Jooheon looks at him, surprised. "I happened to be in the ER that day. I can tell something is off with you since the storm. After seeing you trying so hard to appear calm in the ER that day, I can tell why. There was a fire in the storm and that girl got burned from a fire in her cooking class. It's the fire that throws you off, right?"

"With your skill, I can't help but pity Chessa. That girl will have huge problems hiding something from you" 

"People in my field always said that I am gifted with this skill of mine. But, it really isn't. It's more like a curse. Especially, when you look at someone and you can tell they are struggling, trying hard to get better. If it becomes too much for you, promise you will come to me?" he held up his pinky finger forcing Jooheon to make a promise to him.

"Thanks for not forcing me," Jooheon said as he smiles and stamped the pinky promise.

"Everyone has something they don't talk about, Jooheon. I can understand that much but if I see any sign of you getting nowhere or worse, I won't wait anymore. Understand?"

Jooheon nodded as he let the psychiatrist wrap his arms around him. 

In the meantime, Sang Wook is playing with his uncles and Chessa in the children's pool. Kihyun just sits at the bench nearby watching them. There is no restriction on him about playing in the water, but still, his maternal instinct telling him to be cautious which is why he chooses to only sit and watch. His phone suddenly vibrating so he fishes it out from his pocket. He answered it and ended up the call after a few seconds of talking. He then stands up and goes near the pool calling for Minhyuk. 

"Yes?" Minhyuk answered as soon as he comes out from the water. 

"The barbeque place just call. Our table is ready, so I'm going there" Kihyun informs Minhyuk. 

"Let me come with you," Minhyuk said. 

"No. You keep playing with Sang Wook. I think it's enough water playing for Chessa" Changkyun interrupted as he passing Chessa to Kihyun. 

"You must be cold" Kihyun coo at the baby girl as he wraps her with a towel. When he wanted to help to pull Changkyun up, the man is already heading to his bag. "It seems like you work out these days" he commented as he follows him from behind. The reason why Kihyun said so is that he can see Changkyun is getting muscular these days. 

"If lifting up Harriet is a type of exercise, yes I am" Changkyun replied as he dries himself. 

While Changkyun starting the fire for the grill, Kihyun is feeding Chessa with her fruit snack.  As he waits for the charcoal to burn up, Changkyun joins the duo at the table. He teases Chessa by pretending to take away her food. Chessa immediately babbling while looking at Kihyun as if she was complaining about him to the lawyer. "She really takes after her daddy Hoseok, very protective over food" he commented.

"She's actually taking after all of her fathers. A food fighter like her daddy, a heavy sleeper like her baba and quiet a chatter like her pappy" Kihyun replied as he smiles at Chessa. "It's ok. Uncle Changkyun is just joking" he said gently while patting her head. 

"Did Sunho say anything about your heart?" Changkyun asked when he sees the health bracelet on Kihyun's wrist. He wanted to ask about it since the first time he saw it a week ago but he keeps missing his timing. It's not very long since the kidnapping incident and Changkyun wonder if the pregnancy affected Kihyun's heart recovery. 

"Don't worry about this bracelet, Changkyun. My heart is fine. It's just that pregnancy usually makes the heart work harder. Sunho just wanted to be careful. Especially, that I'm carrying two again" Kihyun explains as simple as he can. 

"Do you know the gender yet?" 

"Nope, we can't even see the other baby" Kihyun blurts out. He was just saying it mindlessly but he can see the changes in Changkyun's expression. Like the Neurosurgeon is feeling sorry for him to go through this once again. "I'm not complaining though" he added. 

Changkyun just smiles then he left to check on the charcoal. 

"Eat slowly, ok? I'm going to help Uncle Changkyun preparing some lunch" Kihyun kissed Chessa on the cheek and go to help Changkyun. "What are you going to do with Jooheon? I heard from Hyunwoo that his trauma is quite severe this time" he wanted to lift the container fill with meat but Changkyun stops him.

"He insists to face it by himself so all I can do is just support him as much as I can. He can't even turn on the stove without being startled. Harriet is oblivious about that, but Henry knows. Henry never let him alone in the kitchen" Changkyun start putting the meat on the grill. 

"Henry protective side is showing a lot ever since they move in with you guys" Kihyun replied as he starts grilling the eel and the sausages. 

"I think he is still affected by what happened in Cambodia. Every time Jooheon or I leave to work, he makes sure he send us off no matter how late it is. I said he doesn't have to do that and he said he never know when will he see us again. He claimed that he was talking about our uncertain working hours, but I have a feeling he was referring to the day I was missing. I don't know why but he sounds like he is preparing for separation again" Changkyun exhales a heavy breath. 

"Dada!" Jinhee is running to Changkyun. "I can swim now. You should have come and seen me swim next time" she told him excitedly. 

"Really? I'm sorry I missed your first swimming" Changkyun said as he kneels down to hug the girl. 

"It's ok, Dada. Jojo was there. I think Jojo recorded it on his phone" Jinhee replied. 

"Hyunwoo-ah, that's dangerous" Kihyun goes to take Sang Wook from his husband's shoulder and put his son on the floor. "Both of you are still wet. What if you lose grip?" he scolded his husband. 

"What is this smell?" Hyunwoo pinches his nose. 

"Meat grill" Kihyun sound unsure with his answer. "Are you ok?" he becomes worried when Hyunwoo seem like he is about to puke. Sang Wook looks at his father with worried eyes too. 

Hoseok who is sitting next to Chessa notices the scene. "You probably stay in the water too long" he commented.

"Aigoo, it seems like you have couvade syndrome" Minhyuk commented as he wipes Chessa hand who was squeezing her fruits snack instead of eating it.

"What is a couvade syndrome?" all of the adults asked simultaneously making Minhyuk a little taken aback.

"Did you guys take a choir lesson?" Minhyuk stands up to drink water before explaining that the couvade syndrome is also known as sympathetic pregnancy. It's a condition where the partner experiences some of the same symptoms as the expectant partner.  "Some pregnant woman find their favourite food nauseating. You love meat, this could be it" he added.

"Is that mean you are having morning sickness back then?" Kihyun asked sounded extremely confused. The episode of Hyunwoo feeling unwell for quite some time after his husband got discharged from the hospital come to his mind. To think about it, it started after his firm anniversary party. 

"Yah, Yoo Kihyun. Can't you be more attentive to your husband?" said Hyungwon who continue Kihyun's grilling task. 

"How am I supposed to know that was a morning sickness and not the side effect of the explosion?" Kihyun defended himself. 

"We really thought it was the side effect of the explosion. Changkyun made me take two MRIs, which come out very clean" Hyunwoo sided with his wife.

"When Kihyun was pregnant with Sang Wook and Dasom, you suspected him with a TBI too" Hoseok commented. 

"Admit it. Which one of us that accidentally build a time machine?" Jooheon sounds like he is about to punch someone. 

"This sure a little alike to when we first knowing each other" Changkyun agree with his boyfriend's statement.

Sang Wook quietly moving to join Jinwoo and Jinhee who seem busy making juice. "Henry, is that mean papa is sick?" he whispers. 

"No, uncle Hyunwoo is just sharing your mother feeling. That's what people who love each do" Jinwoo explains. 

"I thought they are bickering because my papa is sick," Sang Wook said finally feeling relieved. He almost got choked when Jinhee suddenly feeds him a spoonful of juice. He frowned at the sudden action, but Jinhee thought it was because he dislikes the taste. 

"I will add ice. Ice always make things better" Jinhee said without even asking Sang Wook opinion. 

"You will get used to it," Jinwoo said as he wraps his hand over Sang Wook shoulder. "...when your younger sibling is here" he added. 

"I'm worried I won't be a good brother, Henry. Harriet like you very much. I want my siblings to like me that much too" Sang Wook obviously sound worried. 

"Don't worry about that, Sang Wook. Even if they dislike you which I doubt will happen, they can't do anything about it anyway. You are still their brother and they will always need you. You just got to be there until they stop disliking you" Jinwoo said as he hugs Sang Wook to calm him down. 

A loud ice crushing, making everyone jump in surprise. Chessa even cries from the shock. 

"Miss Harriet Im, did you forget two of your uncles and your Dada had a heart condition?" Jooheon asked when Jinhee turn off the machine. It seems like he is the one who shocked the most compared to those with heart condition history.

"Sorry, I didn't expect the sound will be that loud" she simply said while pouring the fresh made ice blend kiwi juice into a cup. 

Sang Wook and Jinwoo naturally help her to distribute the juice to everyone as an apology.