Part 9

DESTINY

Hyungwon is in the middle of stuffing himself with sandwiches when Changkyun suddenly comes and says 'you need to make him talk' out of the blue. Minhyuk who is sitting in front of Hyungwon with Hyunwoo next to him just looks at the youngest of the group weirdly. By the way, Changkyun put down his breakfast tray on the table, it's obvious the young man is mad at something. 

"The day is barely starting and you are already furious. Calm down" Hyungwon replied with his mouth full. 

"I don't want to wait anymore. He's not going to be ready. He will never come to us unless we force him to" Changkyun replied. 

"You are not talking about Jooheon, right? Because he's walking towards us right now" Hyungwon replied as he waves at the paediatrician. "First day here?" he said to Jooheon. 

"Yes," Jooheon answered and mouthed 'be careful' to Hyungwon as he takes his seat. 

Hyungwon nods in reply. 

"Are you talking about Kihyun?" Hyunwoo interrupts. "What happened last night? Did he cry last night? His eyes are swollen this morning" 

"You make him cry? But you have a soft spot for him" Minhyuk said.

"It was unintentionally" Changkyun defend himself. "I accidentally told him that we know about his baby's father. Not directly, but he's a lawyer. He is very good at reading between the lines" 

"You what?" both Minhyuk and Hyunwoo said simultaneously. 

"There's more," Jooheon said casually. 

"Interesting" Hyungwon commented. 

"He told me that he met Dasom on the cruise. She was excited about going home to tell you that she was pregnant. He knows that's her because he sees her picture on your nightstand before you sleep with him. Here's the worst part, that is the reason why he consented. He feels guilty that he had to live and she had to die when her life is about to change"

Hyunwoo froze. Minhyuk gasped. Hyungwon decides to fill his mouth with his sandwich. Jooheon is the only one who didn't react because he already heard about this last night. 

"She told me about the pregnancy over the phone. But, I told her to not get excited about it yet. That pregnancy test kit is usually unreliable. The result varies according to the surroundings. It happened to us a few times. The stick said positive, but the hospital said no. So, I told her to get a thorough check-up after her return which never happens. The truth about her pregnancy is gone with her" Hyunwoo explains. 

"Honestly, I don't care about her anymore. She's dead. Nothing's gonna change that. Kihyun is still alive. If we keep waiting for him to open up, I'm pretty sure we gonna lose him too"

Four pairs of surprised eyes are looking at him. Changkyun doesn't feel like having breakfast anymore, so he just left the table. Jooheon is about to chase after his boyfriend but Hyungwon offers to do it instead.

"For someone who really loves his sister, that was unexpected" Hyungwon come after Changkyun who seeking refuge in the washroom. Luckily, it's empty so it's easy for him to have the conversation. 

"... and you want an explanation," Changkyun says before he washes his face. 

"That is correct" Hyungwon pass the tissue to Changkyun to dry his face. 

Changkyun looks at Hyungwon's face and he knows that there is no way he can leave without talking.

"After the first day of search and rescue operation ended and she hasn't been found, I know that's the end. She's in the middle of the ocean, if she's not found in 24 hours, the chances that she's going to make it, decreases" Changkyun started. "But, I keep waiting. I keep telling myself that she's out there somewhere. Maybe a fisherman found her first. After a week, they stop the operation and I lost hope, I even started to lose my mind. I grieve for her for a year. I think to myself, maybe dead is better than here, but I work hard and pull myself through it"

"I was there Changkyun. I've seen your struggles. I'm amazed at how you pull yourself out from that pit of emotional breakdown" Hyungwon commented. 

"Do you know how I did it?" Changkyun starts tearing up. "I put her in a tiny box in the back of my mind so I can get through my day. Every single day, I wake up and put her in a box so I can leave my house. I'm not supposed to have any sort of attachment with my patients but I started referring to them by her name, to give myself the satisfaction that I have done my best to save her" 

"... and you have saved her multiples times" Hyungwon's heart breaks to see Changkyun cry.

"Hyunwoo is about to get on his feet again. He finally takes off his wedding ring. Why....why did she have to show up now? We are done waiting, we are finally moving forward, but she comes back.  Dragging a totally innocent person into this mess" Changkyun said in between sobs. 

Hyungwon just hugs Changkyun without saying anything, letting the latter cry on his chest. 

"I put her in a tiny box, Hyungwon. Why did she have to come out and mess me up?" Changkyun's voice cracks from crying too much.

Hyungwon returns to his office and reaches out for Kihyun's file. Kihyun is supposed to be his patient but the set appointment between them never happened because they find out that Kihyun's sickness is caused by his pregnancy. So, here he goes again. Going through all the details in there, looking for something that he overlooks back then. After a few hours of losing himself on the records, Hyungwon left his office. 

"Nurse Bae, I have an emergency outside. If anything, call Dr Jee. He will cover for me today"

For some unknown reason, the traffic is heavier than usual at this hour. Luckily, Hyungwon knows lots of shortcuts. So, he can save so much time than getting stuck in traffic. He parked his car in the multi-storey parking and take a 3-minute walk to the next building. He takes the elevator and goes to the fifth floor. When the elevator door is opened, Hoseok is standing in front of him. 

"Dr Chae" Hoseok greets the doctor. 

Hyungwon steps out of the elevator. "I don't have an appointment but I want to see Kihyun" 

"Then, I should bring you inside. Our new receptionist is picky about the surprise appointment" Hoseok return to the firm and lead Hyungwon straight away to Kihyun's office.

"Dr Chae is here for you" Hoseok tell Kihyun who seems busy on his computer. 

"Let him in," Kihyun said. 

Hoseok holds the door for the tall man before he left to attend his appointment.

Kihyun frowned when Hyungwon suddenly closes the door without saying anything to him. He's about to say something but by the look on Hyungwon's face, he tells himself to just wait. 

"You are probably busy. So, I will just get straight to the point" Hyungwon told Kihyun. He didn't even bother to sit up. 

Kihyun is all ears. 

"Have you ever broken down, sobbing after so long of being strong? Crumbled to the floor, hands by your face, and you let out that first gasp. You try to be quiet but eventually, it becomes loud, heart-wrenching sobs. You cry so much you can't breathe and you want to end it all right there right then. Eventually, you completely collapse on the floor and you just lay there, numb. Tell me honestly, have you been there?"

"What is this all about?" Kihyun notices the water-stained on Hyungwon's clothes. He wonders if the psychiatrist spilt something on him or if it was tear-stained like in his description just now. 

"It's ok. You don't have to tell me because I know you have been there. A lot of times" Hyungwon take a seat in front of Kihyun. "Your parents were an accountant. In fact, your entire family is. It's like your family trademark. You break the tradition by going to law school. You're always the odd one, aren't you?"

Kihyun starts to get uncomfortable. Odd one, Kihyun doesn't like how Hyungwon uses that term to describe him.

"You are an excellent student. You won an honorary award countless times, giving the opportunity for your parents to be nominated as a role model parent in your school community and they actually won it. Thanks to you. Your family appears as an ideal family, but that's all an act. You're actually an outcast in your own family because you are different. You try so hard to fit in, you fought so hard to be loved, and when things started to work in your favour, disaster happened" 

"Stop"

"You suffer in silence. You don't cry in front of people. You can smile despite how sh_itty things are. You always put everyone else before yourself. Your parents, your ex-girlfriend, your clients. It's because you love everyone more than you can love yourself. Growing up with parents who keep reminding you about your biological differences like it was a curse, makes you question your self-worth. Your girlfriend is only with you because it's cool to date a lawyer, that's why you spend more time at work because you want to impress her"

"I said stop, you don't know me" 

"I don't. But, it was written in your file. You have attended countless counselling sessions since your pre-schooler. About your ex, I read it in her police statement. You have an interesting file. It's a page-turner, Lawyer Yoo. From early childhood depression to adulthood depression, you have everything"

"Why are you doing this?" 

"To break your defence system"

"Have you lost your mind?" Kihyun tries to remain calm. 

"Maybe a little. The thing is you are broken and you don't know what you're made of. It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again, but stronger than ever. You are tired of heartbreak, you are tired of getting left behind. So, you are committed to bettering yourself. That's why you shut out people from your life. You don't notice it yet, but that is exactly what you do" 

"What do you want from me?"

"Let me fix you. I know you were done fighting, but I'm a doctor. I was trained to not give up. Plus, there is nothing you should be afraid of. I can't break you. You are already broken. All you need to do is let me in"

Kihyun is stupefied. "I think you should leave" he barely manages to let the words leave his mouth. Handshakes from the childhood flashback he had in his mind. 

"I'm leaving, but you need to know that one night mistake of yours, the bad decision you made that night, is so not you. It doesn't fit your profile. You don't usually act according to your heart's desire. You are a rational person, full of reasoning. I believe you wondering why too. The thing is, our brain is an amazing organ. It starts developing since we are in the womb and it stops functioning when we fall in love" after dropping a massive hint, Hyungwon stands up and left the office without looking back. 

Kihyun takes a deep breath to calm himself down. He stares into an empty chair in front of him and all Hyungwon's word starts replaying in his mind.