Part 18

DESTINY

When Jooheon entered the waiting room, he sees Kihyun sitting alone with a sleeping Sang Wook in his arms. At first, Jooheon wonders how on earth the security let a baby in and then he remembers he was the one that comes up with the idea to upgrade the hospital waiting room to a baby-friendly when he was a visiting surgeon here. At least, while waiting for their family member to get treatment, the adult is not worrying about leaving their children somewhere else. Kihyun looks like he is in deep thought. So, Jooheon makes sure he didn't surprise the man. 

"You come here straight away from the airport?" Kihyun is whispering because Sang Wook was just asleep seconds ago. 

"Yeah. They just start?" Jooheon takes a seat next to Kihyun admiring the sleeping babyface. 

Kihyun checks his watch. "It's been three hours"

Jooheon leans against the wall, lost in his thought. Kihyun just watches the paediatrician's behaviour quietly. 

"We broke up six months ago. He sent me an email. I haven't told the others yet" Jooheon blurts out.

Kihyun finds it hard to believe that Changkyun chooses to break up. The couple has been together since they are 15. They have been in a long-distance relationship for decades and still going strong. The break-up doesn't seem right. 

"The wait is going to be long. So, we just randomly bought everything" Minhyuk announced as soon as he entered the waiting room. "What do you want?" he asks Jooheon. 

"I ate on the flight" Jooheon replied. 

"Americano or latte?" Minhyuk shows both of the coffee bottles to Jooheon. 

Jooheon knows he can never say no to Minhyuk so he chooses the latter. 

Hoseok helps Kihyun to put sleeping Sang Wook in the stroller. 

Minhyuk picks up a chicken porridge and gives it to Kihyun. "This is the only food that doesn't have seafood in it," he told the lawyer. 

"Thank you" Kihyun smiles. Even though the group of doctors knows Kihyun is not a big fan of seafood, only Minhyuk actually takes that into consideration. While the others are trying their best to change Kihyun's perception towards seafood. Especially, Hyungwon.

Hoseok drops a file from his bag when he tries to move the stroller closer to Kihyun. 

"Let me help you," Jooheon says as he helps Hoseok to pick up the scattered papers on the floor. "This..." 

"That's a timeline. We are preparing the chronology for the stateless child case" Kihyun said as he takes a bite of his porridge. 

"We need to really understand the case and make sure we didn't bring up anything related to Daniel Lim in the hearing," Hoseok said as he put the file back in his bag, letting Jooheon look at the timeline paper.

"What about this Daniel Lim again?" Minhyuk asks with his mouth full. 

"Daniel Lim is Im Changkyun alias. Every beyond border team member has an alias, for security purposes" Hoseok said to Minhyuk.

"The Hope Foundation?" Minhyuk asks without a proper explanation but luckily Hoseok understands him.

"They approached him because they needed Changkyun's help. One of their patients needed brain surgery, but many hospitals refuse to help due to some political tension" Hoseok explains as he starts savouring his abalone porridge.

"This is where he meets the children?" Jooheon pointed at the mark written Moscow. 

"Yup. The children were rescued from a slavery farm. The second oldest, Henry was treated for malnutrition. They are starving him and gonna ask him to be a beggar. Hillary, the oldest sibling was treated for CMDLD-affiliated disease. She passed away three days ago" Hoseok moves to sit beside Minhyuk and casually shares food with the surgeon.

"Hope the two siblings are okay" Jooheon sounds disappointed.

"These people are a demon," Minhyuk said in anger. "Please tell me the youngest is unharmed" he pleaded.

"She was. Until the gang abducted Hillary and Harriet while they are doing groceries. When Changkyun found the children, one of Harriet's kidneys has been removed. That incident led to a thorough investigation and paralysed the entire operation" Kihyun naturally go through the chronology with Jooheon and then he realized something. "The authorities raid was six months ago," Kihyun told Jooheon but the paediatrician didn't catch what he was trying to imply. 

Jooheon looks carefully at the paper and tries to understand what Kihyun is saying. I found myself a new home and I really like it there. Please don't wait for me. I don't think I will be able to come back. Changkyun's email comes to his mind. He now realized that Changkyun didn't really find a new home out there. That break-up email was a cover-up. Jooheon suddenly feels all the emotion he was trying to chase away coming back to him. 

Minhyuk and Hoseok wonder if they should ask about what's happening in front of them or not. 

Kihyun holds the paediatrician's hand tightly. "People at the Hope Foundation said it is more secure for Changkyun to leave the country as John Doe. Hence, they didn't disclose his identity to the Cambodian government. The gang won't be able to trace Changkyun anymore"

"Don't you think they still can trace him through his John Doe ID?" Jooheon is worried.

"Hyunwoo said when you found Daniel Lim's file, on the back of Changkyun's picture there was a John Doe ID. How can you recognize the ID when you only look at the scan images once?" Minhyuk said.

"It's my habit to remember my case according to the number than the party's name" Kihyun replied. "...and Changkyun was brought back with a military flight. There is no public record of that" he reassures the doctors that everything is fine now. 

"If you didn't stumble on this, I don't think we will ever figure it out" Minhyuk sound upset.

"Thank you," Jooheon said to both Kihyun and Hoseok.

Hours later...

"Should I go check what's happening? It usually takes between 6 to 8 hours" Minhyuk is starting to get anxious. His page device suddenly went off. "They need me in the post-op ward. Weird. I have no surgical patient this month" he whispers, then he gasped and runs out of the waiting room.

Sang Wook woke up from the sound. Jooheon immediately lifted up the baby before he woke up the sleeping lawyer duo. He spends a good 10 minutes with Sang Wook before a surgeon walks in. 

"Dr. Lee Jooheon?" the surgeon asks. 

"Yes, I am" Jooheon approaches the surgeon. Still holding Sang Wook in his arms.

"I'm Dr. Kang Youngwon, the one who operating on Dr. Im"

"How is he?" Jooheon asks as he fixes Sang Wook's posture in his arms. 

"The transplant is great. So far, he didn't show any sign of rejection. We also manage to remove 96 per cent of the tissue cavitation around his heart, which means he can start his light therapy as soon as possible. I will keep monitoring him for a few more hours and will inform you when it's right to visit him. A plastic surgeon and an orthopaedics surgeon will keep in touch with you later, to discuss the facial restructuring surgery plan"

"Thank you" Jooheon is relieved to hear that news.

Jooheon stops the surgeon when Dr Kang is about to leave the waiting room. He asked if the surgeon heard anything about Hyungwon and the way Dr. Kang look at him before he said 'I will come back to you', Jooheon just know something had happened. I will come back to you is the sentence surgeons often use when they are wishing for something better to happen but are not ready to tell their patient's family about the worst part yet.

Minhyuk stops abruptly in the ICU. Seeing Hyungwon on both respiratory intubation and mechanical ventilation breaks his heart.

"Dr. Chae has an undiagnosed heart condition which caused some complications during the extraction. It's Myocardial ischemia" Kim Sunho, the cardio specialist explained. "It's still in the early stage so we manage to fix it" 

"There is a but, isn't it?" Minhyuk said. 

"The CPR is more than 20 minutes," Hyunwoo told his friend. "I'm going to check if he is capable of breathing on his own. He told me if something happened, he wants me to be close. Tell me if you are ready" he continued.

Minhyuk takes a deep breath as he musters his courage. "Go on. I'm ready" 

Hyunwoo carefully removes the respiratory tube. "You can do this, Hyungwon" Hyunwoo whisper to himself. 

"I don't see any sign of breathing" Sunho commented as he keeps monitoring the machine. 

Minhyuk reaches out for Hyungwon's hand. "Please..." 

"There" Sunho exclaims, he pointed at the screen.

Hyunwoo looks at the screen and looks at his friend. Hyungwon's chest is moving up and down a little. He put on the respiratory tube again. "This is a good sign. But, we still need to wait until he wakes up to know how much damage he suffered" 

Minhyuk is alone in the elevator. When the elevator door is opened, Jooheon is standing in front of him and he just burst into tears. "Those chest pains, he's been complaining about his chest pain...I keep telling him, it was because of his caffeine intake. We live together...and I don't know...he doesn't know he was sick...and....he's upstairs...unconscious, with possible brain damage. I feel like I left my home unlocked and a criminal gets in. I come home and my precious thing is gone" he is rambling and sobbing at the same time.

Jooheon pulls Minhyuk out of the elevator. He didn't say anything and just hug his friend tight. 

Kihyun and Hoseok just watched the scene from the waiting room. 

"Mama," Sang Wook said cutely. "Sad" he pointed at his two uncles outside the waiting room.

Kihyun just holds Sangwook closer to his heart. Hoseok wraps his hand over Kihyun's shoulder and pats Sang Wook's head gently.

***********************

"I just got a parking" Hoseok whines when he saw Kihyun already walking out of the court. "How is it?" he asks as he walks along with Kihyun to the car park. 

"Our application is dismissed. They said they have no jurisdiction to decide the matter" Kihyun told his partner. 

"Starts all over again?" Hoseok helps Kihyun put the documents in the back passenger seat. 

"Yup. You are stuck with me for a few more weeks" Kihyun replied as he gets in the car. Laugh a little at Hoseok's miserable face.

Minhyuk watches his patients with a smile on his face. 

"After multiple miscarriages and two failed IVF, you are the only doctor who is willing to help us," the wife said as she holds her newborn. 

"God bless you, doctor," the husband said.

"I'm just doing my job. Let us know if you need anything" Minhyuk replied before he left the ward.

"Dr. Lee" a nurse run to Minhyuk. "Dr. Chae wakes up"

Minhyuk rushes to his friend's ward. He stops at the door when he sees Sunho checking on Hyungwon. His housemate is still looking weak on the partially elevated bed. But, Hyungwon is wide awake and aware of his surroundings. 

"Hi," Hyungwon said when his eyes meet Minhyuk. 

Minhyuk just stares at Hyungwon.

"Your awareness is good. The heartbeat is normal. I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with your brain, but as a precaution, I will ask neurology to come and check on you later" Sunho said and left the ward, giving the two friends time to talk.

"No daily dose of a hug?" Hyungwon asks after a moment of staring competition between him and Minhyuk. 

Minhyuk runs to him. He hugs Hyungwon tight, but carefully.

Hyungwon hugs back and receives a kiss on his neck. He pulls away and looks at his housemate weirdly.

"You're a second away from being brain-dead. You deserve more than your daily dose of my hug" Minhyuk said as he tries not to cry.

Hyungwon pulls Minhyuk for another hug. "Hug me longer, it's been weeks"