Part 22

DESTINY

"It's just weird how Kihyun and Minhyuk let us buy the groceries, considering both of us is still on medical leave," Changkyun said as he looks at the bright sky. 

"It's better for us to buy the groceries instead of being in the kitchen. We might cause a catastrophe...and, you know, I can be very persuasive sometimes" Hyungwon winks at his friend and Changkyun just shakes his head. "Minhyuk gives us a time limit though. I was only prohibited from long driving, not for a short distance. He's a little overreacting, don't you think?"

"You made him cry. He's allowed to take control over your life a little" Changkyun replied. "I don't think I have thanked you yet" he finally looks at his friend. 

"You don't have to, because of that surgery they found out about my heart condition early. We actually save each other life. It will be a huge problem if I got a major heart attack later" Hyungwon replied as he parked the car. 

"Minhyuk is right. You don't take your health condition seriously. You went under for more than 20 minutes. Do you aware of how bad this could have ended?"

"I'm aware, Dr. Im. The thing is no one gonna survive life. Let just enjoy it while it last" Hyungwon replied as he cupped the neurosurgeon's face. 

"Stop babying me" Changkyun pull away from Hyungwon.

"I don't want to" Hyungwon smiles as he gets off the car. "Come. You haven't gone anywhere after you're discharged, right?"  

Changkyun quietly pushes the trolley as he follows Hyungwon from behind. The latter is busy going through the grocery list. Changkyun eyes caught two kids fighting in the ice cream area. It seems like they are siblings. The boy looks older and the girl looks like his little sister. It makes Changkyun remember his childhood memory with his sister. Dasom always scolded him for eating too much ice - cream. He suddenly feels a sharp pain in his head and almost lost his balance. Luckily, the supermarket worker manages to catch him.

"Are you ok, sir?" she asked. 

"Yeah" Changkyun answered as he felt the pain went away. "Do you see where my brother go?" he asked. 

"The tall man with you just now? He's heading to the wet section" 

Changkyun thanked the staff and left. 

"Where have you been?" Hyungwon is worried. "I thought you are gone again" he hugs Changkyun out of relief. 

"What?" Changkyun wonders what Hyungwon mean by 'gone again'. 

"Just stay close to me, ok?" Hyungwon is just glad he found Changkyun, unaware of the curiosity on the other tone. He wraps his hand over Changkyun shoulder to make sure he didn't lose sight of the young man again. 

While they are queuing up at the payment counter, Changkyun sees the two children from the ice cream area earlier again. They are being playful with each other. He smiles at them. 

"Do you know them?" Hyungwon asks as he carefully observes Changkyun facial expression. 

"No, I saw they are fighting over ice - cream earlier. They remind me of my sister and me. Except, the boy is the older sibling while I was the younger one" Changkyun replied. 

"Henry" Hyungwon mentioned the name to see Changkyun's reaction. 

"Who?" Changkyun stops looking at the children and looks at Hyungwon instead. 

"Nothing. I thought I saw someone I know" Hyungwon pretend like he was looking for someone outside the supermarket.

"You're three minutes early. Good boy. You finally listen to me" Minhyuk commented as he welcomes the duo home. He takes the grocery bag from Changkyun and put it in the kitchen. Minhyuk straight away prep the meat for marination while Kihyun is making the marinate sauce. 

"Where's Changkyun?" Kihyun asks when Hyungwon entered with the other grocery bag. 

"With Sang Wook" Hyungwon answered. 

"I don't like the look on your face," Minhyuk says because the look usually means I see trouble is coming so brace yourself.

"Did something happened?" Kihyun asked. 

"Changkyun sees a boy and a girl at the supermarket. He said they reminded him of Dasom and him. But, I look into his eyes. There is something else there. So, I subtly check. Around 80% of his memories have returned" Hyungwon told them. "He didn't notice that yet" he sighed. 

"How can he remember things, but did not aware of it?" Minhyuk asks.

"It's pretty much like unintentional blindness. We only see things we are focusing on and not what's actually there. Memories are pretty much the same. We don't really remember what we remember unless it's impactful" 

"You mean the children?" Kihyun is concerned. 

"Children?" Changkyun shows up with Sang Wook in his arms. 

"Kihyun's. He's planning a sibling for our Wookie" Minhyuk lied. 

Hyungwon is speechless at how fast Minhyuk thinks of that excuse. 

Kihyun wonder if he should keep the topic alive or talk about something else. But, knowing how attentive Changkyun is, the neurosurgeon will notice something is off if he suddenly changes the topic. So, he plays along. "It's just Hyunwoo and I.... we have zero desire for each other" he dropped the fact. "Minhyuk was my Obgyn specialist. I was asking for his advice" now he is lying. 

Minhyuk panic a little. What kind of advice should he give when he knows nothing about his friend's private's life. 

"Zero? When was that started?" Changkyun is surprised. 

"I don't know when is it start, but the last time we had it is..." Kihyun signal to Sang Wook with his eyes to complete his sentence. "Accidentally"

"I'm torn between should I be amazed or should I be surprised" Hyungwon commented. 

Minhyuk gives the meat he was preparing to Kihyun to be marinated and go to wash his hand. Then, he goes to close Sang Wook ears with his hands. "You can start with kissing him more often. Kissing naturally relaxes you and increases the happy hormone in the human body. Swapping spit is also noted to increase dopamine, which aids in feelings of romantic attachment" he said.

"Swapping spit you said?" Hoseok appears out of nowhere.

"You never kiss someone?" Minhyuk asked.

"He's married to a gym. Don't ask" Hyungwon answered on Hoseok behalf.

"Like you ever kiss someone" Hoseok attacking Hyungwon.  

"He kissed me when he was drunk once" Hyungwon replied as he pointed to Minhyuk. Like it was a normal thing to kiss your male friend when you are drunk.

"It wasn't that deep though," Minhyuk said. He was drunk but he remembers what happened. It was in their third year. Minhyuk was heartbroken from a breakup and Hyungwon merely trying to make him feel better. He has never dated anyone since then.

"I think we should go back to the nursery" Changkyun left the kitchen with Sang Wook. 

"You guys are not in some sort of trilateral relationship, right?" Kihyun sounds like he is judging the three men. 

"We are not" Hyungwon look confident but his tone sounds like he was doubting. 

"I'm not judging though" Kihyun replied as he wraps the meat with aluminium foils. "I don't have a normal relationship myself"

"It was the grieve," Hyungwon said out of the blue.

Everyone turned to him with an 'excuse me' look. 

"Baby Dasom's death broke your heart and Hyunwoo's too. But, you strive through it gloriously and watching you so strongly, makes it easier for Hyunwoo to move on too. He respects you so much for that and honestly speaking....we can't have naughty thoughts on someone we respect that much" he explains. 

Mihyuk nodded in agreement while Hoseok is lost in the conversation. Kihyun ignores Hyungwon and goes to check on his son instead. 

While everyone was busy grilling the meat or the seafood or debating over how to make the perfect kimchi stew, Changkyun just sits at the table in the backyard because he was told to look after Sang Wook instead. Sang Wook is focusing on his drawing book. So, Changkyun takes his sweet time browsing the internet on his phone. Less than he knows, the other six is actually talking about him. 

"I notice he's emotionally tired. He's terrified but he doesn't know why. So, telling him the truth is a great idea. But, we need to be careful on how we are doing it" Hyungwon said. "We don't know how much affection he has for the siblings. The higher the affection level, the more he will be affected. Especially, with Hillary's death" 

"Considering he is willing to get hurt for them and the siblings requested to be named after him...I gonna say on scale 1-10, it's 10" Kihyun commented.

"I can't even think another proper way to start other than 'you save a life, but because of that, you almost lost yours'" Hoseok said. 

"Maybe we should just let time do its work" Minhyuk first sentence for tonight. "But, if I'm about to remember the most terrifying moment in my life...I would like to have an early notification so I can prepare myself" he added.

A sound of something dropped. All six turn around to see Changkyun is picking up Sang Wook from his baby seat. 

"You guys ok?" Hyunwoo asks as he approaches the duo. 

"Yeah, I was watching horror videos on my phone. Accidentally throw my phone out of shock and startled him" Changkyun explains. 

Hyunwoo takes Sang Wook from Changkyun to calm him down. 

"Anything I can help?" Changkyun asked as he approaches the cooking team. 

"Yeah, can you help clean the table?" Hoseok replied. "I'm going to bring this pot there" he explains. 

Changkyun obediently cleans up after Sang Wook book and pencils. He set up the table while the other passing the food to him. When they are all seated and ready to enjoy their dinner, Sang Wook asks to be held by Changkyun again. Kihyun wanted to say no but Jooheon is already taking Sang Wook from the baby chair and make him sit on his lap. Sang Wook didn't protest though, as long as he is close to Changkyun. 

******

While Kihyun and Hyunwoo put Sang Wook to sleep in his nursery, the other five men hang out in the living room. Hoseok and Jooheon are lost in their own conversation. Hyungwon is watching Minhyuk flipping through the channel and Changkyun is spacing out. 

Bang! Bang!

A shooting scene plays on the screen briefly while Minhyuk looking for something to watch. 

Changkyun jumped a little from the shocking sound. Jooheon instantly moves closer to his boyfriend. The other three is looking at them anxiously.

"You are ok?" Jooheon asks while rubbing Changkyun's back gently. 

Changkyun didn't reply because he is feeling fuzzy and in the middle of having a staring spell. He suddenly lost consciousness and luckily Jooheon catches him before he drops to the floor.

"God..." Jooheon said when he feels Changkyun's body harden in his embrace - he instantly lay Changkyun down on the floor.

Hyungwon and Minhyuk immediately push all the furniture and table away from the duo.

Despite no one told him to, Hoseok knows he needed to call for an ambulance. So, he excuses himself from the living room to make the call.  

When Hyunwoo and Kihyun return to the living room, they are shocked to see Changkyun is seizing.

"Get my bag," Hyunwoo told Kihyun as he goes to help the others.

Jooheon is timing the attack. While Minhyuk and Hyungwon try to keep Changkyun on his side to keep his airway clear. 

"What happened?" Hyunwoo kneels beside Jooheon, there's nothing much they can do until the seizure stops. 

"I was flipping through the channel and there was a shooting scene. He got shocked, suddenly collapsed and starts seizing" Minhyuk explains.

Changkyun muscle stop clenching and is no longer rigid. Hyunwoo spontaneously protects the head as Changkyun starts convulsing. Kihyun returns with the bag kneeling beside Hyunwoo. 

"The tonic phase is 87 seconds. Clonic phase is 4 minutes" Jooheon announced when the seizure stops. 

"That's more than 5 minutes" Hyunwoo commented as they make Changkyun lay down in recovery position. A seizure that lasts more than 5 minutes are usually required immediate medical attention. "Give me the light," he said to Kihyun. 

Kihyun search for a tool that looks like a pen and gives it to his husband. 

Hyunwoo starts checking for Changkyun response while Jooheon is checking for Changkyun vital signs. 

"Can I have a tissue?" Hyungwon requested to Kihyun. 

Kihyun goes to the kitchen to take a roll of tissue and return to the group with the speed of light.

"He bites his tongue?" Minhyuk ask worried while watching Hyungwon wipes the blood. 

Hyungwon carefully opens Changkyun mouth to check where the blood is coming from. "No, his cheeks"

"What do you think? Is it TBI?" Jooheon asked after making sure there are no serious side effects from the attack.

"All those scan images show no sign of brain injury except a third-grade concussion, that was months ago. His scan is clean for months...why now?" Hyunwoo replied.

They are all confused.

Hoseok shows up with two paramedics whom a little surprise to see the group of doctor in the living room.