The Canberra Cruise

DESTINY

Kihyun comes to the harbour straight away after his court case. He has planned this trip for almost a year now, but due to a sudden change in the court schedule, he almost missed this. Luckily, that did not happen. When he reached the entrance, there are still many people queuing to enter the cruise. So, he joined them like he is not late at all. His phone is suddenly vibrating in his pocket. He fished it out and answered it with a smile after seeing his partner's name on the screen. "Don't you worry, I make it on time," he said without waiting for Hoseok to speak up. They spend a good few minutes talking to each other before he ended up the phone call.

"Don't have too much fun without me in Seoul, ok?"

"I am here because of my patient. Do you think I will have the time for fun?"

"Well, our big baby is here."

"Our big baby's boyfriend is here too. He won't pay much attention to me."

"I actually have great planning on the cruise. A plan of making our tiny baby, or babies."

"We can have that after you come home."

Kihyun can't help but feel a little embarrassed at the couple's conversation behind him. When he is looking for his room number, the wife from earlier seems to be following him. Apparently, her room is just next to him.

"Hi, are you alone?"

Kihyun turns to look at the woman when she heard her question. "No, I am here with my parents. They check in early, and I think their room is on the other side of the cruise," he answered as he unlocked his room. "Why didn't your husband come along?" Kihyun unconsciously asked. "Sorry, you guys were behind me earlier. Kind of hearing the conversation between you and him."

"Ah... well, my husband is a doctor in Jeju. He booked a special operation for his patient in this one big hospital in Seoul, which is scheduled two months away from today. But, they have sudden availability in the hospital schedule, so his operation got brought forward. We are supposed to have our anniversary celebration on this trip. Guess I am going to celebrate it alone."

"You don't look very disappointed about it" Kihyun can't help but comment on how bright the women appear. She is talking about her disappointment, but there is a smile on her face.

"Well, if you are married to a doctor or those who are in the helping services... you just got to accept the fact that you are not their priority. My little brother is a doctor too. I am used to this," she sighed. "By the way, I am Dasom. What is your name?"

"Kihyun"

"Sounds familiar," Dasom commented as she gives it a thought where she might have heard the name, "Well, guess I will see you around a lot - would be better if we can befriend."

"Yeah," Kihyun is a little taken aback by how outgoing Dasom is. He watches her enter her room before he entered his own room. He throws himself onto the bed, staring blankly at the ceiling - before texting his girlfriend to inform her that he boarded the cruise safely.

That night, it's Kihyun's first time having dinner with his parents after a very long time. It is so quiet, none of them is taking the initiative to start a conversation. Kihyun has moved out from his parent's house ever since he decided to pursue study in law - since then they do not really keep in touch with each other. It's only been a few hours since they started sailing, and Kihyun already doubts his decision to have this trip.

"Hi"

Kihyun turns to his left. It's Dasom, and she is smiling widely at him.

"Sorry to bother you. I know it is rude for me to disturb you and your family, but I wonder if I can join your table? Everywhere else is occupied" Dasom explained her situation carefully and tried to be polite as much as she can.

"Sure," Kihyun's mother answered in a heartbeat.

Kihyun unconsciously sighed. It's not like he does not want Dasom to join them; it's just that - his mother answering too quickly gives a hint that she does not wish to share the dining table with him. Or was that only his impression? Kihyun isn't sure, and it's hard to tell when it comes to his parents. Most of the time, they hate him. In some rare moments - they treated him very well.

After dinner, Kihyun excuses himself to his room. Since his parents have an enjoyable chat with Dasom, he decided to leave them alone. Kihyun is lying on his bed, lost in his own thought. When there is a knocking on his door, he forces himself to stand up to open the door - it's Dasom with a smile on her face.

"You barely say a word at the table, and you look pretty busy in your thought," Dasom said gently, "I wonder if everything is ok with you."

For some reason, Kihyun did not feel like Dasom is a busybody at all. He can feel that she genuinely cares about him. "Yeah, just thinking about work," he lied. He was actually thinking about his relationship with his parents is broken beyond repair now.

Dasom can tell the man is lying, but she didn't press the matter. "Well, if you need someone to talk to... just knock on my door," she said before returning to her own room.

Kihyun closed the door and threw himself onto his bed. He is slowly falling asleep while thinking about his parents. Ever since that night, Dasom keeps joining them for almost everything. His mother seems to like her a lot and Kihyun is almost sure his mother is planning to make a date. On the 7th day of the cruise, Kihyun's mother and Dasom spend some quality time together in the SPA - forcing Kihyun to spend some alone time with his father. While the other people are having their blast playing pool or darts or flirting, Kihyun and his father just sit in the corner of the bar - watching everybody else without talking to each other. They don't even drink.

"Do you enjoying your job?"

Kihyun is dumbfounded at his father's sudden question.

"Your mother and I are an accountant. Every one of Yoo's family work as an accountant, it's been like that for a generation. You are the only one who did not choose that path. I see you struggle during your early years, but you seem to do well these days."

Even though Kihyun still comes home for family gatherings and all, he never talks about himself to others on those occasions. Usually, he will just sit in the corner of the room and pretend like he is invisible and that no one can see him there. So, this comes as a surprise to him.

"Hoseok is an audit lawyer at the company I work for. He keeps updating me about you when we meet" Kihyun's father exhales slowly, "Sometimes I wonder if..." he paused, "I am ashamed of myself. Hoseok cares about you, knows about you a lot more than your mother, and I do. That boy will die for you if he has to."

Kihyun just stayed quiet. Everything his father said about Hoseok is right. Hoseok does know a lot of things about him, except his biggest secret - that he is an inters_ex. But, other than that, Hoseok knows everything. In fact, Hoseok even knows the password of his bank account, and Kihyun does not even bother to change it - that shows how much he trusts the latter. In some circumstances, he believed Hoseok more than he trusts himself.

"If you wish to change, I wouldn't mind if you married him. He's been following you around for years now, and I can see how honest and genuine he is toward you."

"I'm dating someone, a girl," Kihyun blurts out. There was an awkward silence between them, and Kihyun wonders if he just makes a mistake. He can't help but flinch when his father is suddenly raising his hand.

"You are my only child, and I make you flinch. I've wounded you too deep that you cannot heal easily, didn't I?" Kihyun's father pats Kihyun on the head, gently. "I am ashamed to admit it myself. Every time we got complimented for your success, I wanted to let people know... it's not us. You did it yourself. We are never there for you."

Kihyun touched his head in disbelief after his father left. For some reason, that awkward gesture is making him happy.

That night, instead of locking himself in his room - Kihyun goes out to the deck to enjoy some night breeze. He sits far away from the other people, to enjoy his own company.

"You really like to be alone" Dasom casually join Kihyun, who doesn't bother to look at her. Guess the man is used to her sudden appearance every now and then. "At the spa, I get some good news," she said excitedly. "The masseur said there is something hard in my belly. She asked if I am pregnant. So, I took a test. Guess what it says?" she shows two with his finger, indicating two lines.

"Today is your anniversary, right? What a gift. Congratulations" Kihyun is happy for her.

"Hopefully, this time is true. Two days before this trip, I secretly take a medical check-up without my husband knowing. I am anxious about the email. I mean... if they didn't detect my pregnancy, it means this is a false result again. I had those moments so many times. My husband's friend is an Obgyn. He said if I keep tested positive wrongly, it could be a sign of something else. I hope the email will bring me the good news. My friend, who hated kids, is now a mother of three. I love kids so much... still haven't been blessed with one."

Kihyun keeps his silence - lost in his thought before he blurts out, "I will carry your child for you."

Dasom is confused by that statement. "I can't decide whether you are being serious or mocking me."

"I am an interse-x" Kihyun confessed. He was pretty sure he won't see Dasom after this cruise anymore, and he needed someone to talk to about this. Someone, other than Hoseok. "I just found out recently, despite all those efforts and treatment... my womb is still functioning."

"Is this what keeps your mind busy all this time?" Dasom asked and received a nod. "Do you talk to your parents about this?"

Kihyun shakes his head. "They wanted a son..."

"But, blessed with both... and you are an extraordinary child," Dasom stopped Kihyun from completing his sentence. She wrapped her arm around the man, slightly hugging him. "No wonder you always remind me of this kid I got to know went I was staying at the foster care house. He is just like you, but brighter."

Kihyun just laughed at the remark.

Dasom suddenly gasped as she scans Kihyun a little. "The kid's name is Yoo Kihyun too."

"That's a terrible joke," Kihyun removes Dasom's hand from his shoulder and stands up - ready to walk away from the scene.

"Wait, Kihyun. Your father said you were often staying at this one charity house your family was sponsoring when you were a child" Dasom catch the latter hand, "The Joy Villa. Is that it?"

Kihyun froze when he heard that.

"Are you Kiki?" Dasom stands up, forcing Kihyun to look at her. "It's really you" She can tell that she is correct when she looks into Kihyun's eyes. "You are alive," she pulled him into a hug.

"Who are you?" Kihyun asked, gently pushing Dasom away.

"I am Dayoung-ie. I used to live there with my little brother, Daniel. The nerd who loves books too much. Do you remember us? We change our name after we move out," Dasom said excitedly.

"Nuna?" Kihyun can't believe this is happening.

Dasom nodded. "Oh, my God. I can't believe I will meet you again. I really thought you die. Your mother told Si Woo you didn't make it."

"Wait a minute. Did you speak to Si Woo? My mother told me he died," Kihyun is confused.

"No, that's not true. He is alive. We lost contact, but he is alive. At least from the last time I saw him," Dasom cupped Kihyun's face.

Kihyun instantly becomes furious at those words.

"Kiki! Wait!" Dasom was immediately chasing after the man.

Kihyun knocks on his parent's door as if he wants to break the door open. The moment his father opens the door, Kihyun pushes his way in and goes to his mother. "Why do you lie to me?" Kihyun asked.

"Lie about what?" Kihyun's mother simply asked, not interested in engaging in the conversation.

"You said Si Woo is dead. You make me feel guilty for his death when he is alive!"

"Kihyun, calm down. Your heart...."

Kihyun looked at his father surprised, and his father slightly nodded at him.

"I know. I saw you left the clinic. Your doctor told me," Kihyun's father whispered.

"Keep playing with your drama. I have a plan tonight," the mother said and left the room, bumped into Dasom, and casually ask Dasom to join her.

Kihyun suddenly feels his knees weak, and his father immediately brings him to sit on the bed.

"Your doctor said, the meds are disturbing your heart rhythm. You stop taking the medication, and your female biological system is active again. I am so sorry, child. We have ruined you."

Kihyun burst into tears when his father pulls him into a hug. The word 'child' indicates that his father is no longer looking at him as a certain gender, "Why can't mother accept me as you do?"

"You know why, Kihyun. Your mother is unwell after giving birth to you. She is better now, but I don't think she is completely healed yet."

Kihyun just nodded. He knows his mother suffered severe depression after giving birth to him and has been trying to hurt him since day one - he has never been left alone with his mother since the day he left her womb.

"Your mother lies about Si Woo because she doesn't like him. Ever since you become a friend of him, you are starting to stand up against her. Your mother thought the accident is the best way to separate both of you. You know how your mother is, she always takes something you like from you so you will obey her."

"She still thinks I love him? Si Woo is just a friend" Kihyun tries to stop himself from crying.

"Your mother's way of thinking is hard to comprehend. I am so sorry that you have us as your parents. When you were born, and your mother becomes sick, I don't know what to do. While taking care of you and stopping your mother from hurting you, I lost pieces of myself... and I unleashed it on you" Kihyun's father cupped his face, getting emotional. "I wish I can turn back time and show how much you mean to me."

Kihyun is crying again as he hugged his father tightly.

An explosion sound, followed by a siren. Then, there is an announcement asking everyone to go to the deck.

"You go to the deck first. Stay safe" Kihyun's father kissed him on the forehead before leaving the room in a rush - making Kihyun dumbfounded.

Another explosion occurred.

Kihyun immediately left the room and followed his father's instructions. He bumped into Dasom, on the way to the deck.

"I lost your mother in the crowd. I need to look for her" Dasom sounded panicked.

"Dasom, calm down. I will go search for her. You go to the deck. It's not safe for you and your baby."

Dasom paused at the last sentence Kihyun said.

Another explosion and Kihyun reflex are to shield Dasom with his body.

Everything after that is blurry.

All Kihyun knows is Dasom pushing him up to debris before getting back in the water again.

"Why are you back in the water? Come up here," Kihyun said as he groans in pain, trying to understand what is happening around him. He can feel his heartbeat skip a beat at the scene of the cruise splitting into two and sinking. He felt something building up in his throat; he coughed a little, and blood starts flooding out from his mouth.

"Stay with me," Dasom said as she starts swimming - pushing the debris that Kihyun is on, away from the cruise.

After a while, Dasom gets tired and stops swimming. She clings to the debris and checks on Kihyun. The man is getting worst. She looks around desperately for help and sees a fisherman's boat. She isn't very sure. She just assumes it is.

"Come up," Kihyun weakly said, "you... will freeze... to death."

"You will die if I stop swimming," Dasom replied.

"Dayoung-ie nunna... you, don't have to... protect me anymore..."

Dasom is sad. With every word Kihyun is saying, she can see he is slipping away. "Kiki, stay. Fight it. You need to stay alive. You said you would carry my baby for me," she tried to make him stay awake.

Kihyun force opens his eyes, clearing his throat while looking at Dasom, who seems to be freezing and looking extremely pale.

"I got the test result. I wasn't pregnant. It's a cancer," Dasom said as she tries to hold back her tears. "You need to stay alive. Just a little more," she continues swimming again - towards the boat. After saying the word 'cancer' out loud, Dasom suddenly lost control of her emotion. She starts crying, and the coldness suddenly becomes too much. She breaks even more when Kihyun is reaching out for her hand, pulling her up.

"Come up... Daniel is smart. He will... know how... to fix you" Kihyun is struggling to stay awake and pulling Dasom up at the same time.

The boat seems to notice them because Dasom can see they are coming to them. However, Dasom is no longer willing to hang on - she can feel that Kihyun's grip is getting weaker and losing. "You can't die twice" she whispered before she let go of the debris after giving it a little push toward the fisherman's boat.