Part 4

DESTINY

"When are you going to give me back my portfolio?" Kihyun asks as he fed Hoseok the lamb chop.

It's been a while since both of them spend time with each other. Since Hoseok won his court case today, it seems appropriate for him to celebrate his friend's first win. Hoseok never intended to be a litigation lawyer because he despises going to court. The latter also despise criminal matters because of the nature of the case which is often 'horrible', and the fact that Hoseok is doing this for him, Kihyun can't even find a way to express his gratitude properly. 

"I will think about it after your meeting with Dr Chae. If he said you are good to go, I will return it back" Hoseok replied with his mouth full. "If I return it to you now, you won't go meet him. You will be too busy. You have already promised Dr Im that you will go"

"I remember what I say" Kihyun replied. 

"What's up with you and Dr Sohn?" Hoseok suddenly asks.

"What about us?" Kihyun frowned at the question. 

"He confessed that he hated you, dude. Don't tell me that you feel nothing about that" 

"Well...I hate myself for surviving the explosion too, remember? Three ER visits from overdosing" Kihyun replied casually. 

Hoseok nods in agreement. "So, everything is okay at home?" 

"Yeah, everything is fine. He's working as usual. When he is not working, he is busy making sure that I eat. He probably thinks I have an eating disorder" Kihyun complained. 

"Honestly, you are losing weight. I missed your chubby cheeks"

"You are just overreacting" Kihyun forcefully feed his friend another piece of lamb chop to make him shut up. 

When Kihyun and Hoseok come out of the restaurant, a girl around 5 or 6 years old bumps into Kihyun with her bicycle. Kihyun falls to the ground with the girl on top of him. Hoseok immediately lifted up the girl, making sure she is okay.

"I told you to not ride the bicycle" a woman who is chasing after the girl says. Breathless from the running. "Are you okay?" she asks Kihyun, after reprimanding her daughter.  

"I'm fine. Thank God, she is okay too" Kihyun answered politely. 

"I told her the bicycle is broken. But, she refuses to listen" the woman explains. 

"You should have listened," Hoseok said to the girl. "Because mother always knows best" he added when the girl looks like she is about to cry.

"If you need...." 

"No, I'm really ok" Kihyun rejects the mother's act to give him some money for his medical expenses. "It is really ok" he insisted because the mother try to slip the money into his pocket.

The mother thanked Kihyun for his mercy and asked her daughter to apologize sincerely. Kihyun and Hoseok wave their hand at the mother and daughter as they watch them leave the scene. 

"Are you sure you are okay?" Hoseok is worried. "She landed on top of you. Are your ribs ok? Does your breathing fine?" he asked again. 

"My lung and ribs are ok, but I think my ankle is sprained" Kihyun hissed in pain when he tried to move his left leg. 

"Come, I will give you a ride home" Hoseok easily give Kihyun a piggyback to the car park. Ignoring Kihyun's complaint about people staring at them along the way.

"What about my car?" Kihyun asked as soon as Hoseok let him down on the passenger seat.

"I will ask someone to take it home tomorrow" Hoseok close the door which means there is no room for discussion. 

Kihyun is in the shower when he starts feeling his stomach cramping. He tries to ignore it, but the pain just keeps getting worst. He remembers he has some painkillers in the kitchen so he left the shower - a leftover from his previous injuries. He put on his shower robe and drag himself to the kitchen. He didn't even bother to turn on the light in the kitchen as he immediately heads to the kitchen drawer near the sink. He pops up two pills in his mouth and drinks the water straight from the water pipe. 

The pain, however, didn't go away. It just keeps getting worst. Like something is trying to come out of him. Kihyun knows he needed to call for help but the moment he tries to move to get his phone, the excruciating pain in his abdomen sends him to his knee. As he groans in pain, he can feel his lower body getting wet. He tries to see what is happening, but it's too dark. He touches the liquid - it's hot and smells like blood. The pain is getting stronger and so does the amount of wetness on his lower body. All he can do now is pray that Hyunwoo will come home soon. 

***************************

"I heard the ER is packed today," Changkyun says to Hyunwoo who is in the middle of changing his clothes. He just arrived for his night shift.

"A charity run event turns into a disaster. A group of cyclists is hit by a bus" Hyunwoo answered as he yawned. "Nightshift?" 

"Yeah" Changkyun is getting ready to change his clothes too. "Get a taxi, don't you dare to drive" 

"You sound like a mom" Hyunwoo replied. 

"Not sure about the mom thing, but if you get hurt from overworking... I probably going to hurt you even more so you can rest longer" Changkyun jokes - threatening to be more exact.

Hyunwoo just laughed it off. He bid his farewell and leave the hospital in a taxi. 

When he reached home, the first thing he checks is the garage. He sighed, thinking that Kihyun is spending the night at the office again. That man has been working extra hours after his recent discharge from the hospital. Sometimes he wonders if Kihyun is avoiding him because of his confession. He makes a mental note that he should get that clarified when Kihyun is home later. When Hyunwoo entered the house, he notices Kihyun's shoes on the rack.

"He's home?" Hyunwoo looks around and sees no trace of his housemate. 

He left his stuff in the living room and go to the kitchen to drink. The ER is so chaotic today that he missed his meal times and didn't even have time to drink enough water. He tries to exhale his exhaustion but it makes no change to how tired he is feeling. 

"I'm so tired but Kihyun will nag if he sees I left this cup unwashed," he said to no one as he walks to the sink. He kicks something. When he looks down, his eyes got widen twice from their original size. 

"Kihyun...." he tries to wake him up but receives no reaction. "It's weak," he said as he checks for Kihyun's pulse and it was obvious that the man is barely breathing. He made a call. 

"May I help you?" the dispatcher said on the other line. 

"Please come to Lot 6, No. 3A, Kingston Park. My housemate is unconscious. He barely has a pulse and his breathing is weak. I started CPR. Please hurry" Hyunwoo tell the dispatcher urgently. 

"A rescue team is coming to you, sir. Do you know the cause of it? I mean, did your housemate fall or something??" 

"I don't know. He's already like this when I come home. Please hurry" Hyunwoo sound desperate. 

"The rescue team is 2 minutes away, sir. Is there any sign of injury?" 

Hyunwoo looks around and notices the pool of blood in between Kihyun's legs. "He's bleeding but I can't tell from where" he answered. 

*************************

Changkyun is in the middle of treating a hit-and-run victim with possible head trauma in the ER when he sees Hyunwoo rushing in with a patient. Once he was done preparing the patient for surgery, he asks the nurse to bring the patient to the OR. 

"Get him ready for surgery.  Dr Joo will be there in a moment" Changkyun told the nurse and go to help Hyunwoo who seem disoriented. "Hyun...." he froze when he sees the patient's face. 

"He's bleeding and I don't know how to stop it. There is no wound and he is not responding. I can't figure out where is the injury" Hyunwoo sound desperate. 

"You need to calm down first. Let me check him" Changkyun says as he pulls the curtain so they can't be seen by other people. "What's this sonogram for?" he asked as he takes the device from his friend. Changkyun is seriously confused by the amount of blood on the bedsheet.

"I was thinking to check his stomach" Hyunwoo step away as he tries to calm down himself. "But, isn't he suppose to vomit blood instead of bleeding from down there?" he sounds extremely confused. 

Changkyun runs the machine on Kihyun's stomach. He gasped when he sees something that he is not supposed to see in there.

"What?" Hyunwoo asked. 

"Someone get me Dr Lee!" Changkyun yells at no one in specific, just hoping that some random nurse heard his voice. 

"I assume that Dr Lee you are looking for is me," Minhyuk says as he walks closer to Changkyun to see the image on the sonogram machine. When he takes a look at the patient, he almost cringes at the amount of blood loss. "Tell Nurse Yoo to postpone Mdm. Kim C-sec! We had an emergency here! I'm bringing him up right now!" Minhyuk yells to the nurse at the station who immediately contacts the OR room to inform them about the change of schedule.

"What is it, guys?" Hyunwoo tries to take a look at the screen. "Is that..."

When Minhyuk left with Kihyun to the OR, both Hyunwoo and Changkyun froze in their position. Mentally questioning the sanity.