Part 5

DESTINY

Kihyun woke up feeling his entire body hurt like he just falls from the top of the staircase. He looks around and sees someone he didn't expect to see sitting next to his bed reading a book. 

"Dr. Chae" Kihyun's voice is hoarse. 

Hyungwon looks at the patient and smiles.

"Where am I?"

"You had an emergency surgery a week ago," Hyungwon told the man. "I come to see you here because you missed our appointment" he added. 

"What?" Kihyun tries to move but Hyungwon stops him. 

"You almost had a miscarriage. The doctor believes it was caused by abdominal trauma. So, it's better if you don't move - the stitches barely heal. According to your friend, you fall pretty hard that night... a girl crashes into you with her bicycle"

"Sorry?" Kihyun can't believe his ears. 

Hyungwon shows Kihyun the ultrasound picture of a baby.

Kihyun stares at it. He thought it was a joke until he sees his name written on the corner of the picture.

"You are 12 weeks pregnant today" Hyungwon smiles a little. Despite the unexpected news, Kihyun seems to accept it well. No sign of rejection or denial. In fact, Kihyun seems to be adoring the baby in the ultrasound picture. "What happened to you that night is very confusing. Luckily, I have some way to get your records" he added. 

Kihyun stares at the psychiatrist in front of him confusedly. 

"I know that you are an inters_ex or commonly refer as hermaphrodite which explains your ability to be pregnant and according to statistics, an inters_ex is more suitable to be pregnant than impregnating someone. The mystery of your pregnancy is solved. But, how you get pregnant is still a question" Hyungwon says as he monitors Kihyun reaction closely. If any sign of a negative reaction from Kihyun, Hyungwon will stop his work immediately. "Is it okay, if we talk about what happened approximately six months ago?" he asked. 

"I don't think you mean the assault case" Kihyun replied, still sounding weak. He's all drowsy from the drug and all - but his brain is still functioning well to remember what happened six months ago. 

"Yes, I am not talking about the assault case" Hyungwon answered in the affirmative. Hyungwon always studied his patient's old medical records in order to understand them better - and thanks to that practice, he found something that was not included in Kihyun's public record. 

"Why do you want to know about it?" Kihyun asks. He knows he can't keep it a secret forever. 

"Your pregnancy age does not match the timeline. Don't get me wrong, I want to know if there is another attacker on the loose out there....." 

Kihyun let out a small and weak laugh. "No..." he takes a deep breath. Even though he is still under a strong drug influence, he can understand Hyungwon completely. The psychiatrist is assuming that he was repetitively assaulted which is not the case. 

"Take your time" Hyungwon fix the nasal cannula on Kihyun's face. 

"The first time is a gang r_ape. The second time is a one-night mistake" Kihyun said. 

"I believe you are saying that the baby's father is nothing to do with your assault and r_ape case" Hyungwon rephrased the sentence for the man. 

Kihyun nodded. "When my girlfriend hired a gang to beat me up, they do more than what they are hired to do. I was on the ground, in so much pain... when the four of them force themselves on me. I told them to stop but they didn't listen" 

Hyungwon stops the man from talking when he notices the sign of distress on his face. He, too, doesn't have the heart to make the man go through his nightmare all over again.

"It's okay, it's okay," he says as he holds Kihyun's hand tightly. "You have done a great job by putting them behind bars. Thanks to you, they can't hurt people anymore" 

Kihyun is getting weaker but a trace of pride is evident on his face. "I personally asked the prosecution to charge them with attempted murder without disclosing my r_ape case," he said.  "Do you know why?" he asked. 

Hyungwon shakes his head. 

"Because I named my girlfriend as the instigator. If I include the r_ape charge, she will have a hard time in prison" Kihyun explains as he takes a deep breath. "Do you know even in prison, the r_apist are hated? They are the lowest in the criminal hierarchy. She could be beaten to death in there" 

"This is the first time I heard about it. Thank you for the info" Hyungwon says as he smiles. Glad that Kihyun is calm again. 

"You are welcome" Kihyun smiles weakly. His eyes are starting to lose focus, the drowsiness is getting too much for him to fight. 

"You are still tired," Hyungwon said as he pats Kihyun's head gently. "How about you tell me a little about the baby's father instead?" Hyungwon tries to get the important information before the man goes back to sleep. The next time Kihyun wakes up, he is no longer under the drug influence and Hyungwon is pretty sure that the man won't cooperate this easily in his sober state. 

"It's only three days since our first meeting. I was welcoming him, he was drunk. He was heartbroken about losing his wife. He approaches me, I let him be. I should stop him but I didn't" 

"Why?" Hyungwon gently asked.

"... I needed something to... move on" Kihyun shakes his head a little - to fight the sleepiness.

"Did you let him have the inter_course with you because you want to erase the assault incident from your memory?" Hyungwon makes a guess.

Kihyun nodded then shrugged. "I don't... know. Sorry, doc"

"It's okay" Hyungwon replied.

"Do you think he will be mad if he knows I almost miscarriage his baby?" Kihyun asked as he closes his eyes.  

"What makes you think he will be mad?" Hyungwon starts to wonder if the baby's father is a passive-aggressive type. 

"He lost his wife and said he hated losing what is his, is the most in this world. That's the reason why he always tries his best to save his patient" Kihyun try to reopen his eyes but his eyelid just feels too heavy.

"If you tell me his name, I will figure it out for you" Hyungwon replied. 

"H....." Kihyun is drifting away to dreamland.  

Hyungwon sighed. 

"You go all mentalist on a barely conscious man" Minhyuk commented as he comes closer to his friend.  

"He won't remember any of this when he wakes up tomorrow" Hyungwon sounded so casual like he has done this multiple times. Actually, he did - he does this pretty much every day.

"Remind me why I agree to be your housemate again" Minhyuk is clearly judging his friend right now. 

"Because I just confirmed the baby's father and his attacker are two different people," Hyungwon said proudly. 

"What?" Hyunwoo shows up out of nowhere. 

"Visiting him?" Minhyuk asked his friend as he updated Kihyun's chart. 

"I heard from the nurse that he's waking up. Thought of seeing him before I started my duty" Hyunwoo walk closer to the bed. Unconsciously, fixing Kihyun bangs as he stares at the latter sleeping face.

"You really care about him" Hyungwon commented as he observes Hyunwoo's body language and behaviour around Kihyun.

"He's my housemate. With all this thing happening in his life, do you expect me to pretend like I don't care?" Hyunwoo replied sarcastically. "Did you talk to him?" 

"Yeah. Apparently, he did not include the s_exual assault in his charge because that's the only mercy he has left for his girlfriend. You know, prison is hell for the r_ape offender"

"After what she's done to him?" Minhyuk is in disbelief. 

"She hired them to beat him up. The s_exual assault is their own choice" Hyungwon replied.

"But still... if I were him, I would ask for a death sentence instead of life imprisonment" Minhyuk replied. 

"Even under the drug influence, he keeps thinking about someone else rather than himself. I can't believe people like him still exist today" 

Hyunwoo and Minhyuk look at Hyungwon sending You need to explain that message through their eyes.

"He asks me if the baby's father will be mad at him for almost losing the baby," Hyungwon told his friends. "I thought the man was violent or something, but turns out the baby's father is a little protective. He's the type to protect what is his very well and he is also a doctor"

"A doctor?" Minhyuk frowned then he crosses his arms in front of him.

"As far as I know we are the only doctors in his social circle. That's what Hoseok tell me" Hyunwoo commented. 

Hyungwon shakes his head, "According to the timeline, not we. Just you" he dropped the hint.

Minhyuk gasped because he understands the hint immediately.

Hyunwoo just stares at his friend blankly.