Part 79

DESTINY

"You don't have to scare them like that," Hoseok said to Hyungwon as they return to the office after the BOD meeting. 

"I did not scare anyone. I only make them aware that this company is having an internal conflict. If they do not address that issue well,  the company profit is not the only thing they will be worried about"

"What internal conflict you are talking about?" Hoseok is confused.

"I have checked with the human resources department. How many of the company employees have resigned for the past few months?" Hyungwon replied and notices that Hoseok have no idea about this. "Since my parents passed away, and the heir is out of the picture... there is a possible chance this company will be acquired by some other group. These BOD is cleaning the mess they left behind before that happens. The compensation is huge. These employees change their phone number and moving away from their houses, I can guarantee those employees is a potential witness"

"I've double-checked their paperwork and project, there is no..." Hoseok paused, "It's not about the company. It's their personal liability. There could be another Chae Hyungsik among them" he sighed.

"They should get personal help before whatever immoral conduct they have been doing bring them to their downfall. Once their cognitive get a fix, it will be shown in their behaviour. It's one solution for all the incoming problem"

"There is a bunch of them. Are you going to put all of them in a therapy session?" Hoseok finds the idea is a little unplausible.

"We can send them to group therapy. I've checked every article published ever since my parents passed away. Too much negative report. Too many scandals. Every time each one of them got caught. They try to get away from it by pretending to be sick. Let just give them what they want. Those people in there are indeed sick. They really need help, or they might go astray like Dr Jee or his father" 

"That's not going to work. These people will never agree to be in personal therapy. Let alone a group one. They... " Hoseok got cut-off. 

"Of course, it doesn't work. If you have an unresolved issue, if anyone knows you have asking help to improve your character... you got judged for it. People will tell you just to su-ck it up. Bear it. Everyone is struggling. You just need to toughen up" Hyungwon said as he stares straight into Hoseok's eyes. 

"Why do I feel attacked right now?" Hoseok blurts out.

Hyungwon shrugged.

"I know you dislike the BOD members. I see how they attacked you just now. Instead of questioning your qualification, they are just purely attacking you. I see that. But why are you unleashing it on me?"

"Am I?" Hyungwon merely replying.

"Well, you sound pretty upset, and it is making me upset" Hoseok answered before he crosses his arms - leaning to the wall behind him. "Are you upset because they said you cannot lead the group well? You will never be like your father?"

"I do what I do because of you," Hyungwon said after a moment of staring eye to eye with Hoseok. "When they start to attack me personally, not professionally, I feel it. You are mad. You are furious. But, you suc'k it up because these people are your boss. You are here to please them. I hate that. So, I did what I did. They are all wrapped securely in their own bubbles and I decided to break it. I want them to step outside of their safe bubbles wrap and stand in the real world. They are not royalty. The employees are not their slaves. In fact, those employees are the one who working 24/7 to bring this group to where it is today. I didn't come here today because I am suddenly interested in the company. If it's up to me, I would just change it to a non-profit organization and use it to do good. I am here today because this is what you do every day. I am here because of you"

"Why?" Hoseok is dumbfounded.

"You are corporate lawyer, Hoseok. You are the safeguard of these corporations. You make sure they don't get into troubles. But, you can't say much on those BOD because at the end of the day... they are the one with the voting power. You are just there and hoping they won't make huge trouble. This toxic culture needs to be fixed. You are their safeguard, it doesn't matter you have voting power or not...your opinion matters. I will fix it, so people like you don't have to just toughen it up anymore"

"Why?" Hoseok just cannot understand the root of this 'outburst'.

"Because you have seen a lot of unfair treatment, and starting to wonder if you are actually making this world a better place. I want to know that I see what you do, and you are making this world a better place. "

Hoseok is speechless. 

Hyejin actually wanted to offer a lunch together with the duo, but listening to their conversation - she decided to cancel her plan and return to her office. She stares at the picture of her with Hyungwon's parents. "Is he really one of us?" she said while looking at the picture. "Jinho got his good nature from his adopted mother. Si Woo? He's been alone all his life. I know Madam Na, she was my school mate. She is not the type to stand up for others. She is more of the sheltering type. Being alone must have thought him to stand up for others" she sighed a little.

"It's Yoo Kihyun"

Hyejin turns to the door. Hyungwon is standing there. "What?" her mind suddenly become blank at the unexpected appearance.

"You are wondering who teaches me to stand up for others. It's Yoo Kihyun. A friend of mine, at the villa" Hyungwon explained as he entered the office. "He was... oppress ever since he was a young child. He naturally learned to stand up for himself, and he also naturally good standing up for others too. You know him"

"Do I?" Hyejin somehow become anxious that she did not remember this Yoo Kihyun.

"He is the partner of Hoseok's law firm. He is also the wife of Dr Sohn Hyunwoo. He comes with me to the funeral house"

"I thought Dr Sohn's wife is just... " Hyejin is loss for a word.

"It's not just the same name. He is the same person. Yoo Kihyun didn't die in the factory explosion"

"I remember how upset you are when you were told he didn't make it the surgery. I still remember how you yelled at me at the hospital. I also still remember what you said when I told you it will be fine. Do you remember?"

Hyungwon nodded. "He is my conscience and he's gone"

Hyejin smiles. "Well... I don't know what to say. But, that's good to know that... your conscience did not die"

Hyungwon breaks into a tiny smile before he takes a deep breath.

"Is there anything you want to say? I mean you come here to my office, you must have something to say. What is it?" Hyejin asked when she notices her grandson is pondering of his thought.

Hyungwon clears his throat, "Just... can I come back?"

Hyejin froze at the unexpected question.

"Well... I know I am the one who left, I choose to cut...."

"Do you want to?" Hyejin cut off her grandson. "I mean do you want to be my grandson again?"

"Are you willing to take me back?" Hyungwon asked.

Hyejin stands up as she starts tearing. She approaches Hyungwon and carefully cupped his face - she starts to get overwhelmed when the latter did not pull away from her. When the latter is in the hospital, even during his drowsy state he would not let Hyejin touch him.

"You don't have to give your answer today" Hyungwon wipes his grandmother's tears.

"I will" Hyejin nodded as she cries harder. "I will take you back. I want to call you mine again" she added before she hugged him.

Hyungwon hugged her back, "Thank you, grandmother"

Hyejin cries even harder at the latter calling her as a grandmother.

Hoseok is actually taking a peek from the door. He smiles at the scene, trying hard not to cry.

*****************************

Sang Wook is doing his schoolwork in his father office when his Uncle Hyungwon walking in. He jumps off from the chair and runs to give his uncle a hug. "What are you doing here, uncle? You have a check-up?" he asked as he holds his uncle's hand and brings him to sit on the couch.

"No, I was with Uncle Hoseok today. He goes to pick up Chessa. She has her dentist appointment today. So, I come here to play with you" Hyungwon answered. "Where are your little brothers?"

"The nurses help me watching over them. They take them to the nurse pantry" Sang Wook answered. "Papa is with mama. We are waiting for Uncle Jooheon to finish his shift and go home with him. Uncle Changkyun too. Do you hear about it already? Mama cannot grow my little sibling in his belly this time" he added.

Hyungwon nodded. "I heard it already" he patted Sang Wook's head gently, "Are you upset?"

Sang Wook shakes his head. "Dasom-ie said she will bring mama home. She never said she wanted to stay"

Hyungwon frowned a little. "I heard about what you do with the triplets, Sang Wook. That was great" Hyungwon replied as he pulls the boy to snuggle with him. "I always think that you are different from children your age. I just didn't expect you to be actually this 'different'. I can't really know if you are clairvoyant. No one else can. Except, you. But, one thing I know. Clairvoyance is quite common. It just most people dismissed the signal as daydreaming or Deja Vu" he explained to the boy. "Sometimes it stays for a lifetime. Sometimes it doesn't. Let see what it is like for you, okay?"

Sang Wook nodded.

"I am not sure if I was dreaming or hallucinating, but I think I meet your sister" Hyungwon mumbles.

"Really? Is she okay?"

"She's in a good hand" Hyungwon replied.

"Do you see my mommy?"

"I think I see her too"

"That's a dream then" Sang Wook simply replied as he hugs his uncle tighter.

"How can you know?"

"I dream about you meeting mommy and Dasom-ie. When you are gone, I dream about you a lot. You keep telling me that you are fine in my dream and I should not be worried. I told mama about it, and mama told papa so papa can tell Uncle Minhyuk"

Hyungwon did not say anything back.

"Uncle Jinho's heartbeat is really strong" Sang Wook randomly commented. "I never meet him. But, I think he is a very nice person"

"He is extremely a nice person" Hyungwon smiles a little, "He gave me his heart"

"Yeah. Like you give your liver to Uncle Changkyun. God has blessed me a lot. He surrounded me with good people. I wish I can grow up to be good people too. I am worried if I will turn evil"

"Why?" Hyungwon wonders why the boy has such thought.

"I watched the news. There is this one man got arrested. He was nice. But, one day, he accidentally killed his abusive father. After that one incident, he becomes addicted to killing. I am scared if I make mistake, I will start enjoying it too"

"Don't you remember what your mother always said?"

"Mistake can only be made once?"

Hyungwon nodded. "It's only a mistake if you did it once. More than once is a..."

"Self-made choice" Sang Wook completed his uncle sentence. "When I grow up, I want to be like you. If I am still different in the future, I want to use it to help people like you do"

"How?"

"Become the police? Maybe I can use my gift in the investigation" Sang Wook have not think about what he wants to do in the future properly.

"Your mother would probably prefer you to become a national athlete in order for you to avoid military enlistment. Do you really think he will let you join the police force?" Hyungwon teases the boy.

Sang Wook laughed. "I really love how mama is always protective but also want me to become brave"

"Do you ever difficulty because of your mother, Sang Wook? I mean did anyone ever bully you because your mother is different?"

"Sometimes I heard the other parents talking about mama and papa. But I always told my friends how cool my parents are. So, they told their parents how cool my parents are. They never said anything about my parents anymore. Uncle Changkyun told me to never think about what other people think about me. I just should focus on what I feel. Mama is different. But, he loves me unconditionally. He loves me too much that he willing to let me go, leave me with papa because mama thought he would not be able to love me wholeheartedly. I was upset when I know that, but Uncle Hoseok said sometimes we love so much that all we can do is letting go. It's the greatest love of all" 

"But, your mother did not leave" Hyungwon simply said-not like he is questioning the boy logic. 

"Because uncle Hyungwon make mama stays, and papa gives mama more reason to stay. That's why I love my family so much even though we are all so different. A family who chooses to stay together even when leaving is a better choice is the strongest family ever"

"Who told you that?" Hyungwon somehow feels that Sang Wook is dissing him.

"Grandmother Hyejin. She always comes to visit mama when mama was asleep. She's nice. She let me call her great-grandmother, but I don't think I should call her that without your permission" Sang Wook said as he looks at his uncle's face.

Hyungwon smiles. "You can call her great-grandmother, Sang Wook. Grandmother and I decided to be a family again"

"Really?" Sang Wook sound excited.

"Ask Uncle Hoseok if you don't believe me"

"I believe you, uncle. Now, I can tell my friends I have a great grandmother. Having a great-grandmother is even cooler than a grandmother" Sang Wook replied.

Hyunwoo entered his office thinking Sang Wook is alone with the triplet and caught off guard with his son snuggling to his Uncle Hyungwon scene.

"Papa" Sang Wook greet his father without moving an inch.

"Pack your stuff, Sang Wook. I will drive you and your siblings home. Uncle Jooheon and Uncle Changkyun with Henry and Harriet will watch over you guys tonight. I need to return here and stay with your mama" Hyunwoo explained to his son. 

Sang Wook immediately goes to pack his stuff.

"Aren't you going to meet him?" Hyunwoo asked.

"I am" Hyungwon answered before he stands up. "Take your time with the children. I can help you watch over Kihyun" he added before giving Sang Wook a goodbye kiss and left the office.

When Hyungwon pushes the ward door open, he heard someone said 'stop'. He takes a peek inside of the ward and it's only Kihyun - on the bed, appear to be in pain.

"Don't come here. My stomach is hurting" Kihyun said and gesture for Hyungwon to leave.

Hyungwon ignores the order and continues walking into the room.

"Hyungwon-ah... "

"Relax" Hyungwon silenced the man. "I literally holding you when you were giving birth to Hyunsoo. I can handle a stomachache" he added while taking a seat next to the bed.

Kihyun did not say anything back. He just looks at Hyungwon quietly.

"I'm sor..."

"No" Kihyun immediately cut Hyungwon off. "Just like in the past, I do what I do because of my own choice. I decided to cover up for Daniel, and I decided to search for you. It is my choice. You have nothing to be sorry about"

"Why? You know it's dangerous"

"My mother wanted to kill me since I was born, Hyungwon. Danger is always around me. I am used to it, I guess. Maybe kind of addicted to it too" Kihyun frowned a little from the sudden intensifies pain in his stomach. "I keep looking for a hard way to live my life. I can be a corporate lawyer like Hoseok and make thousand in a month. Still... I choose to be a criminal litigator. Dealing with all those dangerous people. I am complicated"

"Even after your mother have done to you... you still choose to defend those people" Hyungwon exhales a heavy breath.

"Well, maybe just like my mother... those people have no control over what they are doing. You know those kinds of thing more than I do" Kihyun replied as he trying to ease the pain with breathing slowly. "Why can't you recognized me when we first meet? Do you forget how my senses like?"

Hyungwon did not answer.

"You read my file. Doesn't those records make you think of me?" Kihyun is genuinely curious. "You find out I was ra-pe when that wasn't even in my record. Did you trace it?"

Hyungwon shrugged.

"Tell me. Whatever it is" Kihyun pleaded, "I need a distraction. The meds are really starting to works right now. It's getting painful... and my husband is not here to distract me. Speak to me"

Hyungwon leans forward as he stares at Kihyun sadly, "You could have the baby girl you really want with this little one. I am so sorry"

"It's not a little one yet. It just a tiny blood clot which won't grow up to be a baby. It's... " Kihyun sighed since Hyungwon is refuse to talk about his feeling, he decided to talk about his. "I move to Japan after the explosion. Only with my father. Mother stayed in Korea for her treatment. I come back here after two years and I secretly go to the villa. I was told that Nana and the boy who used to live there move away. I ask people about the boy, and they said he can't talk. I never believe that you died, because mother always takes whatever I like so I would be unhappy. I thought it was one of her tricks. But that day... I finally accepted that... I've lost my friend. After us, Madam Na must have helping a mute boy" 

"No. That's me. I lived with her until she died. I stopped talking when you die. I locked my self in my room" Hyungwon starts tearing. "When they told me you died, my world shattered. It was hard. Back then, you are the only one who treats me like I am a person. It was really hard to deal with your loss. It was horrible. I was miserable. Dayoung and Daniel moved away. It's only me and Nana. I was barely over my grief when Nana passed away. I come back home, and... " he wipes his tears - catching a breath, "... I was in my home with my family but everything feels so strange. I couldn't fit in. I missed you, I missed Daniel, Dayoung-ie nuna, Nana... Toby. I missed everyone. I am in pain, and you weren't around to make it go away. I want it to stop and somehow... I created a fake memory in my mind. A memory without you. I deleted you because I am in constant pain. You were my conscience, you keep my reality check and you were gone. You hurt me a lot. So, I deleted you"

Kihyun is taken aback. 

"I'm sorry I send you to eternal sleep. I am sorry you lost months of your children live. I am really sorry all these happening" Hyungwon is sobbing. 

Kihyun pulls Hyungwon into a hug. "Shusssh... don't cry. I am here. I am back. It's okay. I am okay. You are okay. We will be just okay" he said while rubbing the latter back to calm him down. 

"What are you doing?" Hoseok asked as he approaching Minhyuk with a sleeping Chessa in his arms. "She cries a lot at the dentist" he added before taking a look at what Minhyuk is looking. He can feel his heart shattered at the scene of Kihyun hugging Hyungwon. 

"When you find out that he is Chae Si Woo... when all of this started, I told you we have no idea what is kept hidden in the closet for all these years" Minhyuk mumbles. "I am expecting a tragedy. I didn't expect it was this tragic" 

"Remember when we got a fight whether should I take Hyungwon's case or not and I told you how I was coddled Kihyun when I first meet him, and I should not do that. I remembered why I choose to coddle him in the first place, instead of teaching him to stood up" Hoseok replied. 

"Why?" 

"He's too good at getting hurt. He's too good at allowing people to treat him like he meant nothing. That's why I coddle him" Hoseok let out a heavy breath.

Minhyuk smiles before he patted Hoseok on the back. "You did a great job. Yoo Kihyun really needs that coddle. Maybe I should join you in coddling him. Who cares if he's the mother of five or six or whatever number of children he going to have, he deserves to be coddled all his life. We are going to be proud 'parents' of these two broken people, right?"

Hoseok just smiles a little. "We are"

Minhyuk smiles back.