Part 32

DESTINY

After a week of hospitalization, Hyunwoo is allowed to go home today. As he is waiting for his doctor to officially release him, he takes some time walking around the hospital. He expects that people will forget about the explosion incident since the hospital was in a hectic condition as they trying to recovering from the spring storm. His expectation is completely off because it's not only the hospital staff that talking about him, even some of the patient's family know about that incident. He pretends like he didn't hear any of the whisperings, but the moment he heard Jooheon name being mentioned, he got interested. He realized he hadn't seen the paediatrician for almost a week now. He heard people talking about how Jooheon spends more time in the nursery than the ped ward these days, so he thought about paying him a visit before he left. Just like what he heard, Jooheon is actually there in the nursery holding a baby in his arms. 

"Hello" Hyunwoo greets the paediatrician who seems surprised at his presence. "I'm discharged today. I want to see you before I left" he continues. 

Jooheon put down the baby in the bassinet carefully. 

"Whose baby is that?" Hyunwoo tries to start a conversation. 

"No one. Her parents passed away on the bus" Jooheon answered as he walks to Hyunwoo. "The welfare department is still trying to search for her next of kin" he explains. 

Hyunwoo forces a little smile. He wonders if something happened because the young man is looking down. 

"How are you feeling?" Jooheon said after a minute of awkward silence. 

"I'm more curious about you, actually. I heard people talking, Jooheon. They said you seem a little too affected by the storm" 

"Too many families going out for outing that day. So many injuries. Especially, kids. I was overloaded. It's just an exhaustion"

"Minhyuk told me about the baby boy. Is this about him?" Hyunwoo makes a guess. 

Jooheon fake a laugh. "I was sad for him back then, his parents died...the thought that no one is grieving for him and his family sadden me but I passed over it. It's really nothing. I believe you had an experience that before"

"I do" Hyunwoo replied, still in doubt with Jooheon excuses. "I've seen you that night, Jooheon. I saw you're terrified but you did it anyway. What is it?" still not giving up to make Jooheon talk. 

"Are you pulling a Chae Hyungwon on me?" Jooheon tries to lighten up the mood, but Hyunwoo is obviously not playing around. So, he pulls the trauma surgeon out from the nursery before they wake up all the sleeping babies in there. Jooheon looks around. The hallway is pretty empty except for a few people who seem occupied in their own world.

"You can choose to talk to me or I can ask Hyungwon to talk to you. Your choice" Hyunwoo unintentionally sound like he threatened the young man. 

Jooheon is a little offended by Hyunwoo tone, but he just sighed it off. "Fine. If you really want to know, it's not about the storm or the baby. That night, I was just reminded of something that happened years ago and I'm trying to pass over it, again"

"About what?"

"I was an intern and I had my first night duty. There was a prisoner who needed treatment. He's a serial and also a son of a powerful politician. He's a horrible human being but because of his father, he still receives some special treatment behind the bars. When he complained of stomachache, the officer rushes him to the ER. The doctor in charge is nowhere to be found so I take the initiative to treat him. Turns out, he was faking it. He wasn't sick, he was looking for a chance to run away. He took me as a hostage when he tries to flee the scene. The entire building got lockdown and he told me to help him out if I want to live. So, I suggested making a fire. Once the fire alarm goes off, the lockdown system will be overridden. I intend just to make a little smoke, but the moment he lights up the lighter, things went out of control. I was panicked and I didn't realize the notice on the door says 'Gas leak. Do not enter. I should have noticed it because the entire floor was empty but I don't and..." Jooheon paused. "...you have no idea how much casualty I have caused that night" voices shake from the flashback he had in his mind. "I was told that it wasn't my fault, but I know it's mine. I suggested it" tears start falling. 

Hyunwoo pulls the young man into a hug. Jooheon hugs back carefully not to cause more damage to Hyunwoo recovering shoulder and ribs.

"I never talk about this to anyone else except my counsellor. What happened in Seattle, should stay in Seattle" Jooheon added. He didn't even talk about it to Changkyun. After the hostage case, he was given three months vacation to recover from the shock and he decided to spend the whole three months with Changkyun in Korea. He told his boyfriend that he got suspended for disobeying orders, but Changkyun is a very attentive person, it's easy for people like him to know that Jooheon was lying. Yet, Changkyun never asked for the truth and Jooheon never explained.

Hyunwoo heart breaks a little. Among his friend, Jooheon is the most expressive one about his feeling. If the latter is mad or sulking, he will openly let everyone know about it. Sometimes, verbally. Sometimes, through action. It's unimaginable that Jooheon keeps such huge things like this hidden from them. It's really true what people said. Everyone got that something they choose to not talk about.

"Excuse me," Kihyun said to the doctor at the counter.

"What are you doing here?" Changkyun is surprised to see Kihyun in his department when he lifted up his head. "If you are picking up Hyunwoo, you have come to the wrong place" 

"Did you change your hairstyle or something? It's weird, I don't recognize you" Kihyun sound a little disappointed with himself due to the fact that he doesn't recognize the Neuro who is a part of his family for years now. 

"If I haven't washed my hair for four days is considered as changing the hairstyle, then my answer is yes" Changkyun hold a burst of laughter at Kihyun cute reaction. "If it makes you feel less guilty, I didn't recognize your voice too. Do you catch a cold?"

"No"

"I think you will soon, your voice is different. Should I prescribe you vitamin C?"

"Are you here to prescribe a vitamin?" Kihyun replied sarcastically.

"No. How can I help you?" 

"I'm looking for Shin Ja Kyung. I receive a phone call saying that she got admitted here, last night" Kihyun answered. "I mean I receive the phone call this morning, saying that she got admitted here last night" Kihyun rephrase his word for the confused Neuro. It's obvious that Changkyun is sleep deprived. 

"Who is she? Your family member?" Changkyun clicked on the document icon to see the patient info. 

"You know I don't keep in touch with my relatives. She's a potential client" Kihyun replied. 

"Beautiful" Changkyun commented. 

Kihyun frowned. 

"What a beautiful parasite"

"What are you looking at?" Kihyun asked out of curiosity. 

"Your potential client's brain scans. This is amazing" Changkyun seem genuinely impressed at the brain images before his eyes. "Well, she is not my patient so I don't really know about her. But...." Changkyun said as he turns the screen monitor towards Kihyun. "She has glioblastoma, one of the deadliest brain cancer in the world. Beautiful, isn't it?" 

"Do you aware of how sadistic you sound right now, Dr. Im?" 

"I'm a surgeon, Lawyer Yoo. I make money from people illness" Changkyun replied casually. "You see this dark area here?. It's meant that the brain cancer is causing damage to her optic nerve. My expert opinion is telling me that she lost her eyesight three days ago. According to the doctor note here, she was hospitalized last night from a sudden paralyzed on her left body side. The symptoms, however, come and go. But, for a patient like her, that usually means her death sentence is around the corner" 

'Three days ago?" Kihyun is in disbelief. 

"Yup, three days ago. I don't know much about the legal field, but I understand the human brain. If you don't want to suffer loss, you better drop her case while you can. Honestly, I don't think she can make it to the end of this week"

"Her condition is really that bad?" 

Changkyun nodded. "Where do you find her anyway?. One of your pro bono cases?" he turns back the computer screen to its original position.

"Nope. She came to my office a week ago, before the storm. She actually gives me her medical record but I was so occupied with Hyunwoo being hospitalized, I haven't checked it yet"

"Suing for medical negligence?"

"She's coming forward for a murder case" Kihyun calmly said. 

"Seriously?" Changkyun is surprised. "Don't you scared working with those kinds of people?"

"You are screwing into someone's skull and removes their brain tumour as if you are cleaning a fish gut every day. A minute ago, you were so excited about this woman having the deadliest brain cancer in the world. You are scarier"

"Just to clarify, I don't remove brain tumours every day. I do it twice a week. Most of the time, I stop a brain bleed and I never clean a fish gut before" 

"Just do me a favour, get asleep and please tell me where she is" Kihyun suddenly look stressed at Changkyun lack of sleep behaviour. 

Changkyun pointing to the bed right in front of the counter. 

"Get asleep before you hurt someone" Kihyun reminds the Neuro before he makes his way to bed number 2. Changkyun however did not take his advice seriously though. 

"Who?" Ja Kyung asked. She can't see, but she can hear that someone is approaching her bed. 

"Yoo Kihyun. Do you remember me?" Kihyun replied gently as he takes a seat on the chair. 

"They called you" Ja Kyung weakly smiles. "I guess I don't need your help anymore, Lawyer Yoo. Nature is already doing its work"

Kihyun just keeps his silence, thinking that this woman has given up trying to fix her mistakes. 

"A group of farmers found a human skeleton while cleaning their farm today. They believe it was brought by the mud flood after the storm a week ago"

"I heard that on the news" 

"The farm is very close to the Hill High School. I used to work there. If they really look at it, I'm pretty sure they will figure out that is Joo Nari's body. I know that's her because I was the one who buried her there" 

"Do you mind if I ask what happened between the three of you?" Kihyun asks. He knows he shouldn't ask about the case detail without a proper letter of appointment, but this woman is already on her dying bed. If she died before the truth is unfolding as Changkyun said earlier, he thought that someone needs to bring the truth out for her. 

Ja Kyung nods a little as she thinks where to start. 

Kihyun takes out his phone to record the entire conversation which may or may not contain the indirect confession to the murder. He honestly doesn't really have a specific plan with what to do about the information he is about to get. But, choose to get in record nevertheless. Just as a preparation in case he needs it later.