Part 69

DESTINY

A few days later...

Prosecutor Kwak entered the interrogation room - Dr. Jee is handcuffed to the table and there is a bruise on his face. He heard the story from his colleague - when they are arresting Dr. Jee at the hospital, the psychologist is being punched by some doctor who surname is Im and Prosecutor Kwak is very sure the doctor is none other than the Neurosurgeon, Im Changkyun.

"You are Prosecutor Kwak?" Dr. Jee asked.

"Yes. I am told that are asking for me" Prosecutor Kwak answered as he takes a seat. "I am here. So, let's get started.  Shall we?"

"My father tipped you off, right?"

Prosecutor Kwak frowned a little. As far as he knows, Dr. Jee parents have passed away for quite some time now.

"I am talking about my biological father, Chae Hyungsik" Dr. Jee said as if he can read the prosecutor thought.

"He is your father?" Prosecutor Kwak simply asked - just buying some time to get himself ready with this unexpected confession.

"Why do you think I am so eager to destroy the Chae's family?"

"Who know" Prosecutor Kwak shrugged before asking, "What's your story?" as he get ready to type whatever confession he is about to receive.

"I am one of the result among many of Chae Hyungsik's animal behaviour. My mother got pregnant with me after he treated her as his se-x slave. During my early days working as a psychologist, I used to volunteer in a se-xual assault victim association. I found out I have another eight sibling while volunteering. I secretly performed a DNA test on those I have a suspicion. Among twelve samples, eight come back positive. Due to my working ethics, I don't tell them and I also don't keep in touch with them. Hopefully, they didn't ende up marrying each other" 

Prosecutor Kwak is disgusted at the thought of the half sibling accidentally married to each other, but he manages to keep a poker face.

"Chae Hyungjin told everyone that Chae Hyungsik leave the company to start his own business. The truth is, he was hiding his brother overseas because one of the victim is going to make a report. They are rival, but they are still sibling. Chae Hyungsik se-x scandal will destroy the image of their company and instead of making things right, Chae Hyungjin choose to cover it up. He makes all these women sign a non - disclosure agreement and pay them a huge sum of money. But, you know what? My mother was a maid in his house, she is just some low class people  - unlike those other girls who are the heiress to some big business... Chae Hyungjin fired my pregnant mother and kicked her out without a single penny. I was born on the street. My mom and I struggle to make our end meet day to day basis" Dr. Jee paused as he remembered those tough times. "But, what make me hate the Chae family the most is Chae Jihoon"

Prosecutor Kwak just keeps quiet.

"Do you know that Chae Jihoon was arrested for drunk driving when he was a teenager? The women he hit with his car is my mother. They paid us a huge sum of money, but, it's no use. My mother is paralyzed from chest to bottom. She ended up committed a suicide by biting her tongue. I lost my mother and Jihoon takes an easy escape by announcing his military service early! He was even complimented for that! He took everything from me and I want him to feel the same. I cursed him every single day - I pray for him to feel what I feel and years later I heard he lost his young daughter. Karma, I guess"

"So, is it true you pre-meditated the car crash in Macau?" Prosecutor Kwak asked, "We already have Owen Grey statement" he added when Dr. Jee is just looking at him - probably because the random question.

"Before anything, I want you to take note that Owen Grey is innocent. Everything he does, he has done it under hynopsis. We give him drug to enhance and prolong the hynopsis effect. You cannot charge him for something he wasn't aware of"

"You seem to care a lot about him" Prosecutor Kwak replied - almost sound sarcastic.

"Owen Grey was my patient. He needed my help to regain the childhood memory he lost. He was just... it's all coincidence. All three of them are a collateral damage. I never meant to hurt them... I - I got carried away because I want revenge"

"You have a lot of explanation to do, doctor" Prosecutor Kwak sighed a bit.

"It started when Owen Grey shows up in my office. All I do was helping him to remember. Poor man - he was abducted and sold in the black market when he was a child. With such horrible experience, I am not surprised that his mind chooses to hide his childhood memory. After he regained his memory, I helped him to search for his mother -  the last thing he remembers about his biological family was he run away from his mother. We found her and she bring him to see his father. My job was done or I thought so.. until a week later, Owen Grey father showed up in my office"

"Mr. Cha Juhyeon?"

"Yes. He said he need my help to convince his business partner to withdraw the proposal of affiliation termination. I refused to do it in the first place... "

"But, you agree when you know the business partner is Chae Jihoon?" Prosecutor Kwak unconsciously cut off the psychologist.

"A part of it, yes. Another part of it - Mr. Cha know about my dark past. There was one time where I was addicted to gambling and providing illegal services to pay off my debt. I even went to therapy to get my gambling habit fixed. There is no way I am letting Mr. Cha ruining my career, which I work so hard to build and saved"

"Were those times is when you treated Yoo Kihyun?" Prosecutor Kwak is remembered of the video footage he watched with Kihyun the other day.

"Yoo Kihyun is my last illegal patient. The most memorable one. He is more complicated than Chae Hyungwon" Dr. Jee shakes his head a little. "You found the spy cam? I remembered Chae Hyungwon brought up this topic then. I bet you already watched all the footage. I recorded it to use it against Mr. Cha if anything happens between us, but it is now used against me instead. Karma"

Prosecutor Kwak just nodded - not even bother to explain that what they found is only a digital trace which lead to the virtual vault, not the actual camera. "What actually Mr. Cha hired you for?"

"To hynopsis Baek Jinyoung, so she will disagree of CHA Group affiliate termination proposal at the BOD meeting. She's the second largest shareholder and her vote carries a lot of weight. Chae Jihoon gives his wife an ultimatum. He wanted her to choose between the company or Cha Juhyeon - he threatened to disclose about her cheating behaviour. I got so mad because of that - because I know the public will siding with him and Baek Jinyoung will be criticized. There is no way I am letting that happen. Chae Jihoon is a devil. Just like his father. How can a sane man requested his wife to carry another child not long after giving birth?! What kind of father would blame his son for his daughter's death?! What kind of husband didn't know that his wife is pregnant?! Chae Jihoon is even worse than his father"

Prosecutor Kwak is a little taken aback by the sudden rage. He can see the pure devastation in Dr. Jee eyes.

"To answer your question, I did send Owen Grey to Macau to tailing his mother. My intention is just to let him ruin their business trip. I want to use Owen Grey to tell people how horrible Chae Jihoon is as a human being. But, Mr. Cha have another plan. He instructed Owen to pretend to hit Chae Jihoon and Baek Jinyoung with the car as a warning. But, while trying to do that - another car crashed into them first. I still have the recording from the car - I can confirm you, Owen Grey is not the reason they are death"

"How about Kwon Jinho? Is that your plan too?" Prosecutor Kwak asked.

"Kwon Jinho abduction is nothing to do with me. That's purely Mr. Cha idea. I only know there is another hostage in the house after the accident. While I was trying to extract the information of Chae Si Woo from him, Owen brought back Chae Si Woo. Apparently, Mr. Cha and Owen saw him at the funeral. Kwon Jinho is a very resilient man - he was tortured, but spilled nothing about Chae Si Woo whereabout. All he tells them is a fake info. It's even more amazing that he even protected Si Wo in his unconscious mind" 

"Does Mr. Cha knows that Kwon Jinho is his son?"

"He didn't until I put Kwon Jinho under hynopsis" Dr. Jee smirked. "When I first meet Chae Si Woo, his face was covered. Weeks after trying to gain access to his mind and failed, I requested Mr. Cha to remove the cover and I was shocked to see who Chae Si Woo really is. Ever since, Chae Hyungwon has been held captive in that house... I can no longer control Owen. Chae Hyungwon blocked me from accessing Owen's mind. Owen is slowly regaining his reality and even stand up against his father. Mr. Cha have no choice but to locked him somewhere else before he become more attached with his brothers"

"What did Mr. Cha want from Chae Si Woo?"

"He wanted Si Woo to give up his right as the sole heir of JJ Group. Actually, Baek Jinyoung amended her will which state that all her property will be given equally to each of her son. But, the will hasn't notarized yet. As we know, Chae Hyungwon do not break easily under pressure. So, Mr. Cha instructed me to make him incapable to inherit the company"

"... and you mess up with his brain?" Prosecutor Kwak isn't really asking.

"More like he was the one who messing up with mine" Dr. Jee laughed a little. "In order for me to gain access to his mind, I need to understand how his memory system is working. While, doing so - he set up a trap for me. His memory of Dr. Im Changkyun is too powerful and I ended up using that as a foundation to altered his memory. I didn't even realized I was falling into that trap"

"No wonder the fake medical history is similar to Dr. Im case" Prosecutor Kwak commented.

"I will confess to everything on two conditions, I want Owen Grey to walk free. He was just being manipulated and whatever Chae Hyungsik want from you, denied everything. He deserve to be in jail" Dr. Jee stated as he watches the prosecutor typing.

"I can make that happen. But, there is no guarantee. Mr. Cha might deny everything"

"He is not that shameless. The spy cam recorded everything. With that much evidence, if M. Cha manage to dodge prison time... something is wrong with your office"

Prosecutor Kwak just laughed a little.

"How are they?" Dr. Jee asked after a moment of silence. "I heard Owen Grey already give his statement. So, I guess the drug wear off. I was shocked to see him in the ER few days ago... extremely disoriented. That is some strong drug side effect"

"He is fine. Our psychiatrist cleared him to give statement" Prosecutor Kwak simply replied without revealing too much information.

"Dr. Chae and Kwon Jinho?"

"Both are under treatment" Prosecutor Kwak stop typing and look at the psychologist. "You know what? I thought you do what you do because Chae Hyungwon is about to be appointed as the new Chief of your department"

"If only this whole thing is that simple" Dr. Jee sighed. "The funny part is, Dr. Chae Hyungwon warned me about this before. He said 'Hate no one, no matter how much they've wronged you. Resentment only causing your pain and taking away your life from you little by little'... and I just laughed at him. If only I know he is a clairsentient then, I might take his words seriously"

"Is that mean he can predict the future?" Prosecutor Kwak know how ridiculous he sound, but he have no better way to ask about it.

"No, but he may pick up the sensation of how complicated your feeling will be. That's how he fixed all his patients. He will pin point the strongest sensation and teach them how to deal with it"

Prosecutor Kwak suddenly thought of what the pyschologist said about Yoo Kihyun earlier, he cannot help but asking about it. "Off the record, may I know what do you mean with Yoo Kihyun is more complicated than Dr. Chae?"

"He was brought to me after surviving a cruise explosion. While, I was trying to alter his memory... I find out that everything is repressed. Ever since he was a young child, he experience a lot of traumatic events. All those memories keep hidden because his mind is too young to process it. Unfortunately, his mind is fixated to work like that. I bet he is the type to forgive and forget, isn't he?"

Prosecutor Kwak nodded.

"He wasn't. He just incapable to remember a bad experience for a long time. His mind automatically hides it from him. It sounds good, isn't it? It doesn't though. Repressing memory is one of the human body mechanism to survive. Survival mode is suppose to be a phase of life, not a way of life. Yoo Kihyun have been through his life all these times in a survival mode, which can be lethal"

"What's the worst scenario?" Prosecutor Kwak can't help but get curious.

"You know how your computer is lagging when there is too much program to processed? Usually, the lag is caused by a specific app. The software is on, but there is nothing we can do to make the software responding and often.. we will just plug off the computer to fix it" Dr. Jee said and receive a nod from the prosecutor. "One wrong triggered point will make Yoo Kihyun lagged... and you might need to plug the switch off"

Prosecutor Kwak is speechless.

Meanwhile...

"What do you mean you have the footage in the group chat?" Hyunwoo asked as he entered Hoseok's ward.

Hoseok can see there is everyone behind him - Changkyun, Jooheon and Minhyuk.

"My contact in Paju just send me an email of the CCTV footage at the accident site" Hoseok answered. "I know I am not supposed to be working on my laptop or phone, but this is quite important. Plus, it's rest time. All of you are resting. It's a right time for sharing this news" he explained himself.

"Well, I will punish you later for breaking the rule" Minhyuk said.

"Have you watched it?" Changkyun asked.

"Not yet. I don't feel right to watch it by myself" Hoseok answered. He turns his laptop a little to the left so everyone can see, "You guys ready?"

"Yes" they all answered simultaneously.

Hoseok clicked on the play button.

Kihyun's car is speeding on the empty road. The car change to the emergency lane as it reaching the traffic light and abruptly stopped.

After a few minutes, Kihyun get off from the driver seat holding his chest - he appears to be in pain. He suddenly goes underneath his car and a second later, a truck colliding to his car, very hard.

The strong collision, pushing Kihyun's car off the road sidehill - the truck is having trouble to stop and eventually falling too - revealing Kihyun lying flat on his tummy while protecting the back of his head.

Kihyun didn't move immediately. It takes two minutes and a half for him to start moving and slowly stand up. He checks the hillside before checking his pocket, probably looking for a phone. Then, he takes a few steps away from the edge. Look around confusedly before starting to walk away from the scene. But, after the sixth step Kihyun just collapsed.

All of them are silent after the video stopped.

"The airbag is launched because of the emergency brake. That's explained the seat belt bruises on his chest" Hyunwoo mumbles - breaking the silence.

"He is probably speeding to make Hyungwon sensing that he was in danger" Minhyuk commented.

"That's explained why his car is so wrecked. But, he doesn't even suffer from a single broken bone. He wasn't in the car during the collison" Jooheon still trying to calm down his heartbeat from seeing the video. He can literally feel his heart is about to jump out from his chest when the truck is colliding to Kihyun's car with Kihyun hiding underneath it.

"What you gonna do?" Hoseok asked Changkyun.

Changkyun shrugged. Then, heavily sighing.  "There is nothing I can do about this" he whispered, but loud enough to be heard.

They all are silent again.