Part 46

DESTINY

"With Sang Wook and Dasom, you were in 18 hours of labour and 5 hours deliver. Sang Wook takes only 3 minutes to come out. Dasom needed more time to make an appearance. Baby A....probably 2 hours of labour and your delivery is around 10 minutes. There is no pattern at all" Minhyuk said as he goes through the document in front of him.

"He said there are no two pregnancies will be the same. Why bother looking for a pattern?" Kihyun is confused. So, does Hyunwoo.

"You are 36 weeks and 5 days today, your Braxton hicks are still very irregular. But, the intensity is getting higher. Baby has not dropped yet" Minhyuk is obviously not listening to what Kihyun was saying. "We still can't see the baby gender, but, that is not a problem. It is a problem if you want a specific gender. However, you said the baby health is all that matter"

"Dr Lee Minhyuk" Hyunwoo call his friend. 

"Yes?" Minhyuk finally realizes he was talking to himself. "Did you guys say anything?" he asked.

"No. You seem busy" Hyunwoo replied. 

Minhyuk just clears his throat at the sarcasm. 

Hyungwon entered the suite. "Hello, everyone"

"Why are you here?" Kihyun is surprised to see the psychiatrist. 

Hyungwon casually takes a seat next to Minhyuk. "You are going to finalize your birthing plan today, isn't it? I am here to help you understand your condition better" 

"What condition?" both Hyunwoo and Kihyun asked. 

"You haven't told them yet?" Hyungwon turns to look at Minhyuk. "You have a mild PTSD and it's kind of worrying," he said when Minhyuk avoiding his eyes. "But, not worrying much. Just a little bit" 

"But, Minhyuk said I am not at risk" Kihyun rebutted. 

"Physically, yes. Mentally, it's another thing" Hyungwon replied. "You almost got a heart attack when you deliver Baby A. That's because you are panicking, anxious, nervous, in distress and having a flashback of your previous birth. I am here today, to help you prevent that from happening again"

Hyunwoo reaches to hold his wife hand for support. Kihyun squeezes back. 

"But, C-section is not a choice for me. It's going to disrupt my male biological system" Kihyun mumbles.  

"True. Non-surgery is the safest choice for you. But, you don't have to choose natural birth too. You can opt for some medication. With your mild PTSD, you might lose your mind control in the process. Perhaps, medication may help lessen the intensity, the pain, and help you remain calm" Minhyuk replied. The reason why they are having this session is that according to Hyunwoo, Kihyun is keen to choose a natural birth method. It is not dangerous, but not very recommendable at this point.

"But, you gave me a heavy medication a few weeks ago and I was drowsy for a week. It is still in my system" Kihyun replied. Almost whispering. 

Minhyuk wipes his face in frustration. Why did he never think about this? Kihyun is smart and rational. When he decides something, there's always an explanation for it. Now he understands why Kihyun wanted to go with natural birth because he doesn't want to become drug dependable. Addicted, in other words. Minhyuk wanted to say that the drug he gives him is not going to cause addiction but people don't get addicted to drugs because of the substance. They got addicted because of the side effect. The euphoria after consuming it. So, he just keeps quiet. 

The suite becomes silent. Hyunwoo wraps his arms around Kihyun shoulder, letting Kihyun lean on him.

"Ok. Then, let's do it my way" Hyungwon calmly said.

"How?" Hyunwoo asked.

"There is a chance that Baby B is not gonna be your last childbirth. So, let's resolve this all at once" Hyungwon tone is a little different from the tone he usually uses. "I might have a solution for you" he looks into Kihyun's eyes. "But, it's not medically approved. It's just a thing I develop on my own"

"What are you suggesting?" Minhyuk becomes anxious.

"Remember my Pandora Box?" Hyungwon asked. Both Hyunwoo and Minhyuk nodded. Kihyun is just looking at him terrified. "Opening a Pandora Box needed me to re-create the event in the person's subconscious mind to help them remember what they forgot. But, I'm going to close your Pandora Box for you"

"How?" Kihyun got interested. 

"Sort of like fabricating evidence. In order to do so, I'm going to change the details which mean you need to pick someone else to help you deliver the baby. Having Minhyuk in the room might trigger a flashback. He will be on standby, in case if anything happens. Nearby, if you want. But, he won't help you unless he really needs to. I'm suggesting you pick someone who can help you remain calm. Someone who can distract you from the pain"

"Will that actually work?" Hyunwoo is doubted.

"If I can open your Pandora box, I can close his Pandora box. Trust me" Hyungwon replied confidently. "In fact, I'm suggesting you do it. You are a trauma surgeon. You are Chief of A&E. I know you had delivered babies in the ER before. You have experience and you are the husband" Hyungwon try to convince his friend.

"You help to put the baby in, you should help to get the baby out" Minhyuk mumbles. Luckily, no one hears him said that.

"I know you prefer Hyunwoo to stay away from the delivery room because many husbands stop looking at their wives romantically after watching them giving birth but that only happened among unprepared husbands. Research shows that having a well-prepared husband during the delivery help the wife feels more secure" Hyungwon obviously unaware of what Minhyuk was saying next to him.  

"Well, I don't mind. But..." Hyunwoo turns to look at Kihyun. "Whatever you decide," he said.

Kihyun gives it a thought. Hyungwon is right when he said about Baby B is probably not going to be his last childbirth. Not like they are planning for another child soon, it's just his life usually don't go the way he intends it to be. He needs to get his condition fix while he can. So, he agreed to the suggestion. 

Hyungwon phone went off. He immediately answered it. "Sorry, I am needed in the ER. Attempted suicide" Hyungwon said as soon as he ended the phone call. "I will come back later to explain further detail about the plan" he then excuses himself.

"Is something wrong? You two look awkward" Hyunwoo asked as soon as Hyungwon left. 

"You don't look at him the way you usually look at him," Kihyun notices it too. 

"His parents passed away two days ago" Minhyuk tell them straightforwardly.

Both Hyunwoo and Kihyun is surprised. 

"Are you ok?" Hyunwoo asked when Kihyun groans. 

"Yeah, I just got kicked on my ribs" Kihyun answers as he rubs his baby bump. "How do you know? You said he didn't keep in touch with his family"

"In Hyungwon point of view they are already gone a long time ago" Hyunwoo added. "Do you know what happened?"

"Both of his father and mother passed away in a road mishap, somewhere in Macau. Hoseok is picking up their body as we speak" Minhyuk simply explaining. 

"Hoseok? My Lee Hoseok?" Kihyun is a little dumbfounded. "But, he's picking up the JJ..." he gasped.

Minhyuk nodded. Kihyun exhales a heavy breath. Hyunwoo is just lost in the conversation. 

"Remember when I told you that I was so proud of Hoseok for getting appointed by this huge corporate entity a few years ago?" Kihyun asked his husband. 

"You mean the JJ Group?" Hyunwoo asked for a confirmation. 

"Yeah, that group. The group chairman and his wife passed away during his work trip to Macau. Hoseok picking up their body today" 

"Ok" Hyunwoo still looks pretty confused. 

"Those people are Hyungwon's parents" Minhyuk drop the fact. "Our Chae Hyungwon is the heir of fourth-largest corporate entity in Korea"

Hyunwoo is shocked again.

Hoseok just watches quietly as the two coffins are loaded into two different vans. 

"You are here alone?" Lawyer Kim asked. 

"Yes," Hoseok answered shortly. 

"The heir didn't come?" 

"No, he is occupied with work" 

"Ok" Lawyer Kim replied. He can feel something is off so he didn't ask further. "I need to go make an official statement for the group. Can you bring them to the funeral house by yourself? Should I call for help?" 

"No, I can do this" Hoseok replied. He carried out Kihyun's parents' funeral by himself before. He can do this. He has the experience. "You can go. The media is waiting for you since this morning"

"I will come as soon as I can, ok." Lawyer Kim said before he left with a taxi. 

Hoseok fishes out his phone and sends a text to Hyungwon. 

Hoseok: They are here. I'm going to the funeral house now. Are you still coming later?

Hyungwon: Yes

"He is so calm. How can he be so calm?" Hoseok put back his phone in his pocket. "Prosecutor Kwak is right. Chae Hyungwon is scarier than those thugs" 

On television, breaking news about the JJ Group is being reported. Apparently, the couple is walking on the side road when a drunk driver lost control and hit them. The chairman died on the spot and his wife passed away on the operating table. Kihyun was too focus on the screen that he didn't realize Hyungwon is walking in. 

"If I am a thief, you are in great danger right now," Hyungwon said. He was already seated next to Kihyun on the couch. 

Kihyun jumped in surprise and that triggered his Braxton hicks. 

"Sorry," Hyungwon said as he rubs Kihyun back gently as the latter rides the waves. 

When the Braxton hicks stopped, Kihyun opens his eyes again and the pictures of Hyungwon's parents are shown on the screen. "Sorry," Kihyun said as he reaches out for the remote and turns off the television. 

"Are you ok now?" Hyungwon is more bothered that he almost sends his friend into labour instead of by his parent's picture. 

"Yeah" Kihyun lean back to the couch. Catching up his breath. 

"Seem like the baby drop a bit. Don't you think?" Hyungwon moves away a little to give Kihyun enough space to rest a bit. 

"I'm not sure about that, but it sure getting intense in here" Kihyun replied as he gently rubs his lower belly. 

The suite becomes silent as Kihyun is resting and Hyungwon is spacing out. 

"You want to talk about it?" Kihyun breaks the silence. "I know we don't usually on the same page, but, I have a mean parent too. I can relate to you better than the others"

Hyungwon just smiles. 

"My mom said I was a devil spawn once. It was when I got my first menstrual. I was panicked when I wake up in the morning and got blood all over the bed. Then, she makes me undergo this hormone therapy so I can look more manly" Kihyun starts sharing his story as Hyungwon seem to refuse to talk.

"It's quite a miracle you still can get pregnant after undergoing hormones therapy" 

"Well, you are the one who sends the miracle to my house" Kihyun replied. "Sohn Hyunwoo. You are the one who told him to move out from Jeju, right?" he added when Hyungwon just look at him confuse. 

"I pretty sure the miracle bring himself to your house on his free will though" Hyungwon replied. 

They both ended up laughing. 

"My parents said I am a broken good" Hyungwon said after a moment of silence.

Kihyun reaches out to hold Hyungwon hand. 

"They said I can't be fixed and I choose to leave. I am happy with my choice. But, I can't help thinking. Will it be different if I choose to stay?"

"I don't know, Hyungwon" Kihyun moves closer to Hyungwon. "But, I choose to stay and I lost pieces of me every single day" 

Hyungwon understands perfectly what Kihyun is talking about. "Life is really like an elevator, isn't it? Sometimes we have to stop and let people off"

Kihyun smiles and replied, "...and sometimes we need to stop and let people in. I'm so sorry about your parents" Kihyun gently pull Hyungwon into a hug. "It's such a shame they can't see how amazing you have become"

Hyungwon didn't really need comfort right now. Even after seeing his parents' picture on the television, it all still feels foreign to him. But, he appreciates the gesture anyway. Sometimes in life, we just need a hug. No words, just a hug to make you feel you matter.