Part 15

DESTINY

50 days after Sang Wook's birth, Hyunwoo and Kihyun decided to register their marriage. Initially, there were so many obstacles that they need to go through since they are often mistaken for the same s_ex couple. But, after going through a hearing at the family tribunal and a detailed explanation of Kihyun's special condition, they are allowed to register their marriage as it was agreed by the tribunal member that the marriage is not between a male with another male. However, they did not hold a wedding ceremony nor make an official announcement. So, many people are still unaware of their status change. 

In fact, both Kihyun and Hyunwoo are not even sure about the marriage. The idea of marriage comes up because they have trouble deciding to register Sang Wook's birth under whose family. In the beginning, of course, they want to register Sang Wook's birth under Kihyun's family registration. The problem is Sang Wook is taking after Hyunwoo's surname. Then, Hyunwoo suggested Sang Wook should just take after Kihyun's surname instead. Of course, Kihyun disagrees with the idea. It feels like Kihyun is denying Hyunwoo's right as the father all over again. Thus, Hoseok comes up with the marriage registration idea. Through marriage, both Kihyun and Hyunwoo share the same legal rights over Sangwook. Both agree to the idea despite not knowing about their relationship status. They are not even officially dating, they just naturally got close to each other because of the pregnancy. They are still using separate bedroom and schedules still often clashes. Therefore, they are more like taking turns in taking care of Sang Wook, instead of raising their son together.

When Sang Wook reaches his 100 Days Celebration, both Kihyun and Hyunwoo wonder if they should celebrate it or not. Considering they had lost their daughter 100 days ago. After a thorough discussion, Hyunwoo decides to go with the 'just let bygones be bygone' principle. So, they hold a simple dinner at their home and invite the other guys. Even though they are missing a few members, the dinner is still happening because things will never get boring with Minhyuk around. Jooheon already returned to Seattle a month ago and Changkyun is somewhere out there doing his humanitarian work. 

"Our Wookie" Jooheon's voice can be heard from the video call. "Do you miss me?" he said while making cute faces. 

Sang Wook giggles happily.

"You never giggle like that to me" Minhyuk said in dissatisfaction. 

"Because you are not cute," Hoseok said as he adjusts the phone angle so everyone can be seen on the screen. 

"Did you talk to Changkyun today?" Hyunwoo asked. He's been trying to call the neurosurgeon for the 20th time now. 

"No. He sent me an email like two days ago. He's moving to another refugee camp. Maybe the reception is bad there"

"I see" Hyunwoo put his phone down on the table.

Kihyun just watch the group from afar. He's leaning to the kitchen door. 

 "Why are you standing here alone?" Hyungwon asked as he approaches the lawyer. "What are you thinking?"

"Nothing" Kihyun know he can't lie to the man but it's worth trying.

"You feel this is unreal?" Hyungwon said randomly.

Kihyun shrugged. "It's ridiculous that I had the thought of leaving the baby with Hyunwoo," he said after sighing heavily. "I never talked about it to anyone. But, Changkyun sees it through me... and he sends you" he paused as he stares at the psychiatrist for a second before thanking him.

"For what?" Hyungwon asks gently. 

"For talking nonsense in my office that day" Kihyun let out an awkward laugh. "If you didn't do that, I won't be here today"

"Thanks for not suing me for nuisance or trespassing" Hyungwon jokes. "You wear your wedding band as a necklace instead on your finger" he commented when he sees the necklace around Kihyun's neck.

"You know how my life was. I used to wake up every morning with the thought I'm going to impress someone today. To prove my self-worth. But, Hyunwoo never asks me for anything. We are married. He's the father of our children. But, he never used any of those reasons to take control of my life. He let me do anything at my own pace. It's weird, you know?. It's like I'm dreaming like I'm living someone else life. I'm not sure if we are compatible with each other. What if things do not work out between us? I'm scared"

"Aren't you looking down on your husband a little bit too much?" Hyungwon asks. "He wears his previous wedding ring every day after she passed away and only takes it off after meeting you. He deserves more credit than your doubt" 

"I'm not doubting him, I am doubting myself" 

"You know why?" Hyungwon wraps his hand around Kihyun's shoulder. "With your parents, with your ex-girlfriend...you need to work hard to prove your self-worth to be loved. With Hyunwoo, he is willing to give his all to you and that's making you scared"

"I'm not sure if I deserve that from him" 

"You named your daughter after his dead wife. You owe yourself the loves that you are freely giving to others, Kihyun. You need to feel good about yourself if you want everything else around you to feel right"

Kihyun sighed. Hyungwon is absolutely right. If he wants to live a happy life, he needs to be happy with himself first. But, it is easier to say than to be executed. 

2 years later...

"Kihyun-ah" Hyunwoo whisper to the sleeping man. "I'm leaving early to work today. I'm taking Sang Wook with me" he added. 

Kihyun nodded with his eyes close. Hyunwoo planted a kiss on Kihyun's forehead and fixed the blanket before he left the room. He goes to his room to take his bag and then goes to pick up Sang Wook in his nursery. 

"Mama is still sleeping. So, you are coming with Papa today. It's been a while since we had a morning drive together, right?" Hyunwoo says as he carries his son to the car. 

Sang Wook just smiles happily. The baby is used to his morning routine and he is no longer crying or throwing tantrums from waking up early in the morning.

When they reached the hospital, the daycare is not open yet. So, Hyunwoo brought Sang Wook to have breakfast with him in the cafeteria. 

"Why are you waking up my nephew so early?" Hyungwon said as he joins Hyunwoo. 'The daycare is not even open yet" he smiles as Sang Wook is looking at him with his big round eyes cutely.

"Kihyun have a case trial since last week. He's been sleep deprived for almost a month now. He can sleep more if he didn't have to drop Sang Wook at the daycare. Plus, the daycare is here. I can just bring Sang Wook with me every time I come to work, but he didn't agree because I left work too early... which means Sang Wook need to get ready early too" Hyunwoo explains. 

"Did you hear anything from Changkyun?" Minhyuk asked, as soon as he sits down. He bows at Sang Wook who just keeps looking at him - confused.

"No" both Hyunwoo and Hyungwon answered. 

"I'm worried. It's been months since we heard anything from him" Minhyuk said. 

"I kind of miss him too," Hyungwon said as he looks at the chair where Changkyun usually sits. "When is he coming back?" 

"We all know why he leaves. I believe he will come home when he's ready" Hyunwoo replied as he feed his son. 

Minhyuk and Hyungwon exchange a quick look with each other. Hyunwoo is right. Though Changkyun never tells them why he suddenly wants to join the humanitarian programme, it was obvious he left because he needs some time away from his sister's memory. It is just no one really understands why Kihyun's presence makes the youngest of the group think about his sister a lot when the duo is nothing like each other.

"I heard you are receiving a John Doe patient today" Minhyuk change the topic. 

"Yeah. He was transferred from a Cambodian hospital. According to the record that I received, he was found on the street with a ballistic injury with no ID" 

"No ID? But, they know he is a Korean. How?" Hyungwon asks out of curiosity. 

"It's not my job to investigate that" Hyunwoo replied. 

******************

Kihyun is heading to his courtroom with his associates when he heard someone call for him. He stopped and turn around. It's Prosecutor Kwak. They used to attend the same law school and often have a case against each other. They are famous for their hate-love relationship with each other. 

"I have something to tell you. Do you have time?" 

"Hurry, I have a trial in 5 minutes" Kihyun answered casually. 

"Do you interested to do something law-related but off the record? I mean not really official law stuff, more like volunteering work" 

Kihyun frowned. "What is that supposed to mean?" 

"My cousin's wife is working with this NGO called The Hope Foundation. You can search them up first. If you are interested, contact me for the details" Prosecutor Kwak said with a mysterious smile on his face and left. 

Kihyun stares blankly at the prosecutor.

*****************************

"Have you treated a gunshot wound before?" asks Kim Sunho, a cardio surgeon.

"Twice," Hyunwoo answers ask he looks to the sky. "But, not here. When I was a visiting surgeon in Moscow" - the sound of a helicopter is getting closer and soon he can see the helicopter approaching the helipad.

Hyunwoo and his team are getting ready to retrieve the patient while waiting for the helicopter to land properly. Hyunwoo waits for the paramedic to open the door before he approaches them. He and his team help the paramedic to bring down the patient from the helicopter carefully. Then, they straight away bring John Doe to the ICU.

While setting up the ventilation machine, Hyunwoo takes a look at the patient's face briefly. It's obvious that the patient was beaten brutally because the trace of a broken face is evident. It's been four months since this man is found on the street. Hyunwoo can't help but wonder how worst the facial injury is when he was found.

*********************

"I thought you had a trial," Hoseok says to Kihyun who walks into the pantry. 

"The judge had a family emergency. So, the trial is postponed" Kihyun pour the black coffee into a cup and drinks it without adding anything. 

"That's bitter" 

"I need this to stay awake" Kihyun joins his friend on the couch. "Have you heard about Hope Foundation?" 

"It's a non-profit group established by a group of Korean people in Canada back in the late '90s. Now, they are expanded globally. The main purpose of this organization is to rescue and provide protection for oppressed Koreans in foreign countries. For more than a decade, The Hope Foundation had successfully brought back countless Korean people who become victims of human trafficking and slavery to their families. Why are you asking?" 

"Wow. I don't know you have a corporate database in your brain" Kihyun is really impressed. "Prosecutor Kwak offer me to do something law-related but not official" 

"For the Hope Foundation?" 

"Seem like it"

"That's a great opportunity. I sometimes do cases with them too" Hoseok said. 

"Cases like what?" 

"Help those people to get back on their feet or find a corporate fund for the organization. Simple things. But, if Prosecutor Kwak approaches you...I guess it must be something criminal related" 

"Interesting" Kihyun take a sip of his coffee. "How do you know about this?"

"Hyungwon. He sometimes volunteers in the Hope Facility for counselling" 

"Are you guys secretly dating?" Kihyun asks out of nowhere making Hoseok chokes on his coffee. "Both of you even go to Paris together. There must be something"

"No, we are not. Just a friend" Hoseok replied and left to wash his hand. 

Kihyun smiles to himself. Apparently, he is not the only one who got confused when it comes to love.