Part 49

DESTINY

Kihyun wakes up to his son crying. When he opens his eyes, the suite light is already dim. It means it's already past 10 o'clock at night. The light is always dim at 10 o'clock at night every day. He struggles a little to sit up and scoop to the end of the bed, pulling the bassinet closer to him before he carefully stands up.

"It's ok. Mama is here" he said as he lifted up the baby who immediately turns his head to him, wanting to be fed. "You are hungry" he looks around near him and sees no baby bottle or formula. But, he sees Hyunwoo and Hyungwon cuddles each other on the couch. "They are so cute sleeping like that" he gets distracted for a moment and focuses back on his son when the baby is crying harder. "You are going to wake up papa and your uncle" he whispers as he lifted up his shirt, exposing his chest area. "Sorry, baby-ah. I don't know where papa puts your food. Will this work?" he said as he tries to get the baby latches onto him. "You are used to bottle feeding" he sounds a little upset when he sees his baby struggle a little. 

He sits back on the bed after his son successfully latching and starts eating. He put a pillow under his hand to support his baby weight. "You are heavier now" he whimpers a little when the baby in his belly kicking his ribs. "It's ok. Your younger sibling is just a little jealous" he said when his son eyeing him. "Papa is right. Without the tubes and wires, you really look like your brother when he was a baby" 

Changkyun suddenly walks in and immediately turn around when he sees Kihyun is bre-ast feeding his son. 

"You have seen me topless before," Kihyun said as he pulls a blanket to cover himself. 

"That was when I didn't know you are an inters_x. We are just patient-doctor back then. Now, you are Hyunwoo's wife" Changkyun replied and only turn around when Kihyun told him to. "Thinking back, I performed an MRI on you when you were pregnant. That should not happen and thanks to you, I am more careful with my patient now" he sounds a little guilty as he takes a seat on the chair next to the bed.

"I heard you are working on high-risk surgery. How does it go?" Kihyun can see the neuro is desperate for a good rest. 

"It went well. Though the surgery takes longer than it should be, a full recovery is possible. I removed all the tumours from the spinal cord" Changkyun look at Hyunwoo and Hyungwon on the couch. "I spent eight hours with my team and another nineteen hours in the OR...when I come out...Hyungwon's parents passed away, you are so close to having your baby. I missed a lot of things" he sighed.

"Eight plus nineteen is twenty-six hours. That is more than a day" Kihyun replied. "Now you understand my feeling when I wake up after my abduction and you are already back to work" 

Changkyun smiles. "When I first meet him, we asked each other why we choose the medical field and he said to me that he has no choice as he was born to cure people and I told him that was cheesy. Turns out, he was telling the truth. After finding out about his past, a lot of his random jokes and advice is finally making sense to me. He always said that it is ok for the whole world to give up on him as long as he doesn't. I thought that was stupid because what is the point of trying our best for no one, but I understand what he means now"

"You are not alone. I questioned his rationality a lot of times too. Chae Hyungwon is a lot more than what the eyes could see"

"We are just some strangers who cross paths with each other and he gave me half of his liver. I can understand Hyunwoo because he was a family, he feels responsible. But, Hyungwon is..." Changkyun exhales a heavy breath. "Even a blood-related family will think about organ donation thoroughly" 

"Let me correct you there, kid" Kihyun sound a little offended. "Hyunwoo will never be your was a family, ok? You and Dasom is his first real family. Nothing can change that. Not me and not even our children. Got it?" 

"OK," Changkyun just smile. This is not a rare occasion. Kihyun emphasis that Hyunwoo and he will always be a family every time this topic is brought up. In fact, Kihyun have introduced him in public as 'my husband's brother' or 'he's my family member' so many times and Changkyun really appreciated that gesture. Even Sang Wook treated him a little different than the other. When he asked the boy why Sang Wook told him 'because you are mommy Dasom's brother and that makes you special.

"Aren't you supposed to go home? Henry is going camping, right?" Kihyun suddenly reminded of that. 

"It is just camping, Kihyun. Not military training. Henry will be home after four days and Jooheon will be going with him. I'm not worried. Harriet and Sang Wook are having a sleepover at their art teacher's house...I don't really feel like going home right now" Changkyun replied. "I come here to check on Hyungwon and you. Minhyuk told me he will be here, I bumped into him when he was leaving for the funeral home. Hyungwon is looking good and you are still too good looking to be in labour. So, I guess we are good for now" 

"Not all people are looking messy in labour, ok"

"True, but they are all looking tortured" Changkyun replied casually. 

Kihyun just shakes his head at the remarks. "Are you full?" he whispers when his son is pulling away from him. He pulls down his shirt and removes the blanket, getting ready to burp the baby. 

"Can I burp him?" Changkyun asked, wanting to help. 

"Sure" Kihyun let the Neuro take the baby from him. "You look natural" he complimented. Watching Changkyun holding such a small baby is actually very rare, so he has this prejudice that the Neuro will be awkward. Turns out, Changkyun is better than Hyunwoo. 

"My other half is dealing with tiny people every day, Kihyun. I am professionally trained" Changkyun replied. 

Kihyun is about to say something when he feels a mild contraction. He leans back as he gently rubs his baby bump. 

"What is it?" Changkyun immediately kneels in front of Kihyun when the latter let out a tiny groan. "Are you having a contraction?"

"Yup," Kihyun takes a long deep breath as he tries to get into a more comfortable position. The contraction is slowly getting stronger before it stops abruptly. 

"Should I wake them up?" Changkyun is confused about what to do. It is undeniable fact that he has years of experience in the medical field, but he only had helped a person in labour once which is during his beyond border programme. Usually, he will step aside and let someone else take over.

"Nah, let them sleep. Unless I'm having another rapid labour... it takes ages for the baby to come out" Kihyun replied sounding extremely calm. "With Baby B frequent teasing, I bet this is just gonna be another prank" 

"Should I tell Minhyuk? Or, should I get a nurse to check on you?" Changkyun asked. At the same time, he successfully burps the baby. 

"No, not until I am sure I am in actual labour. I don't want to disturb anyone" Kihyun carefully lifting up his leg to the bed and lean to the bed headrest. In case his movement may trigger another contraction. "He's awake?" he asked as he watches Changkyun putting the baby down on the bassinet. 

"He's falling asleep" Changkyun gently patting the baby stomach so he will go sleep faster. 

"Oh, it's already two in the morning" Kihyun saw the watch on Changkyun wrist. "I don't know when you are going to come out, but can you wait until Uncle Hyungwon parent's funeral ended? Maybe you can come out at noon or night" he whispers to his bump.

Changkyun frowned at that scene.

"What? It's not a bad thing, ok? It's not like I'm overdue. I still have a few weeks before my due date" Kihyun said when he sees Changkyun is mentally judging him. 

"I didn't say anything" Changkyun simply replied. 

"Come sleep with me" Kihyun suddenly blurts out. "Come here" he pats the empty space next to him. 

"That's Hyunwoo space" Changkyun replied. 

"He's sleeping on the couch. Come on" Kihyun pull Changkyun hand and force the latter to get on the bed. "In pregnancy, you always give me this comfortable aura. I sleep better with you next to me"

"I smell like sterilized medical equipment, though," Changkyun said as he gives in to Kihyun request and lay down next to the pregnant man. "Now, what? Should I hug you?" he jokes. 

"This is ok" Kihyun replied as he lay flat on his back.

"That's bad" Changkyun sit up again and help Kihyun to get into a better position. He helped Kihyun turn to his left side and put a pillow between his bent knees.

"Thanks," Kihyun said as he watches Changkyun laying down again. "Have a good rest, Changkyun-ie" he whispers as the sleepiness come to him. 

"You too, mama" Changkyun mumbles as he makes sure Kihyun is properly covered with a blanket before closing his eyes. 

When Changkyun opens his eyes again, the sun is already rising. He squinted at the bright eyes and feel a little confused. He only intends to take a nap, but he actually falls asleep. He looks down when he felt something heavy on his chest and turns out Kihyun is using his chest as a pillow. They are glued to each other that he can even feel the baby kicking on his skin. He checks his watch. 9.30 am. He almost jumped out of the bed, but Hyunwoo is stopping him. 

"It's ok. Hyungwon has already gone picking up Harriet and Sang Wook" Hyunwoo informs the Neuro. 

"But...today is his parents' burial" Changkyun whisper so he won't wake up Kihyun. 

"He decided to not go. He said he is not ready to meet his grandmother and I don't think I should force him" Hyunwoo replied as he shrugged. "I'm going to buy breakfast. Anything you want?" 

"Energy drink" Changkyun answered without thinking long. 

"You just wake up" Hyunwoo frowned.

"I need caffeine to ease my headache" Changkyun explain briefly. 

"You have a headache? Since when?" Hyunwoo is now worried. 

"Not that kind of headache. Just a headache. Caffeine works better than medication" Changkyun is barely awake to explain properly. Luckily, Hyunwoo understood him. He looks at Kihyun again after Hyunwoo left the suite. "Come on, baby. Unless you are choking on your umbilical cord, you gonna need to stop moving and let your mama sleep in peace" he scold the non-stop moving baby. "You are hurting your mama and tickling me" the baby stop instantly. "Thank you" he slowly falling asleep again as he waits for Hyunwoo to return.

Somewhere...

"Uncle Hyungwon, you are taking a wrong road," Jinhee said. 

"No, this is the right way to my home. We are going back to my apartment" Hyungwon replied. 

"We are not supposed to go home. Uncle Hyungwon, you have a funeral to attend" Sang Wook said. 

Hyungwon is surprised the children know about that. 

"Jojo told us about it on the phone last night. Jojo told us to be nice to you because you are sad" Jinhee explains. "I'm sorry for your lost, Uncle Hyungwon" 

"It's ok, kids" Hyungwon replied. "But, I'm not going. If I am going, no one will watch over you guys" 

"Uncle Hyungwon, we promise we will behave. We will come with you to the funeral and be good" Sang Wook said. 

"Do you even know what a funeral is?" Hyungwon unintentionally sounds sarcastic. 

"We hold a funeral when we send our loved one to somewhere far, uncle. I had it with Hillary. Sang Wook sends his little sister Dasom through funeral too" Jinhee answered innocently. 

"They will go somewhere far, uncle. Too far that they can't come back easily. You probably won't see your parents again. You need to attend the funeral, uncle. I don't want you to become like Uncle Changkyun. Uncle Changkyun was so sad he can't send mommy Dasom away properly. I don't want to see you sad, uncle" Sang Wook said. 

Hyungwon becomes speechless at the children answer. They might not comprehend the real meaning of death yet, but they know what they are talking about. He gives it a thought and decided to make a U-turn and head to the funeral. 

When they reached the cemetery, the burial is almost ending. He chooses to stand in the back, initially. But, Jinhee insisted they should stand at the front and he gives in. He lifted up Sang Wook and hold Jinhee hand tightly as they walk through the human ocean. 

"That's Uncle Minhyuk and Uncle Hoseok" Jinhee pointed at the opposite end. 

Hyungwon turns to look. Minhyuk is holding a sleeping Chessa and Hoseok is supporting his grandmother to stand up. He's a little taken aback when his grandmother suddenly turns his way. Their eyes meet, coincidentally. 

"Thank you for coming" Hyejin mouthed to her grandson. Sincerely hoping he can understand her.

Hyungwon just replied with a smile and turn to look at the front again. His eyes become teary and when the teardrop fall, Sang Wook is fast to dry them for him. He hugs the boy tighter and let his tears fall free on his cheek. Jinhee is looking up at him worried, so he kneels down and hugs her too. Both children are hugging him back.