Part 20

DESTINY

"What are you doing here?" Jooheon said as he helps Hyungwon to walk into the ward. "You are still on bed rest. You shouldn't walk alone" he added as he brings Hyungwon to sit on the bed.

"The worst possible scenario is I passed out and the good thing is I'm in a hospital building. Even, our janitor is trained in CPR" he replied as he takes a look at Changkyun who is sitting in a wheelchair near the window. "He's spacing out"

"More like unresponsive. They wanted to cut him open to see if there is a hidden injury somewhere because his CT scan is clean" Jooheon said as he takes a seat next to the psychiatrist.

"How about his psychology evaluation?" Hyungwon is still a little breathless from his unauthorized walking session. 

"Someone come yesterday, I forgot her name. She can't decide whether Changkyun is refusing to talk or not being able to understand the question asked" Jooheon answered. "He's a brilliant neurosurgeon. His success rate is almost 100 per cent. He helped so many people, he saved so many lives. Now, he can't even understand a simple question. I want to get him to fix, Hyungwon. He is the happiest when he helps people. But, one thing I  learned from being a surgeon, in order to fix a wound we need to make a new cut. We cut a perfectly healthy tissue to get to the rotten one. I don't want to put him in more pain. It's already too much" he sighed. 

"Maybe you don't have to make a new cut. Let me try" Hyungwon suggested. "I know someone from my department has evaluated him but she doesn't know him as I know him" he tries to persuade the paediatrician. "Trust is important in my field. After what he has been through, he needs someone he can trust to talk" he added. 

"We don't even know if he can remember or talk" 

"That's why I need to try" Hyungwon is persistent.  

Hyunwoo walks into the ward and sees an empty bed. He left the ward and go to the nurse's station. "Do you know where Dr. Chae is?" he asked the nurse who simply replied to him 'He's in the ward'. She looks like she will blow off if Hyunwoo asks another question so he left the nurse's station. He doesn't want to bother them any longer so he decided to search for Hyungwon by himself. Plus, he knows exactly where to find the psychiatrist. 

"What's going on?" Hyunwoo whispering asks as he approaches Jooheon, who is sitting on the bed. He looks to where Jooheon is looking and see Hyungwon having a conversation with Changkyun. Well, it was Hyungwon that do all the talking while Changkyun is just staring at him blankly. 

"Hyungwon sneak out" Jooheon answered. "I want to bring him back to his ward. But, I had a talk with Dr. Kim yesterday. The only explanation for Hyungwon's slow recovery is because of his restless mental state" he added. 

"Yeah, he told me that too. It's kind of ironic considering there is no psychological wound too deep for him to fix" Hyunwoo replied as he joins to sit on the bed. 'Minhyuk will piss off if he knows this" he added.

"I wonder what they talk about" Jooheon leaned on Hyunwoo's shoulder. 

Hyunwoo is curious too, so he tries to read Hyungwon's lips but failed. 

Both Jooheon and Hyunwoo froze when Changkyun suddenly lifted up his hand to touch Hyungwon's face. However, Hyungwon just let Changkyun feel his face as he smiles widely at the young man.

"Hyung...wonie" Changkyun barely says. "Hurt" he pointed to Hyungwon's exposed chest area, where the heart surgery scar can be seen.

Hyungwon is surprised that he can feel his heartbeat skip a bit. 

"Are you....sick? A lot?" Changkyun sounds like a four-year-old trying to talk in a proper sentence for the first time. 

"You can talk" Hyungwon cupped Changkyun's face, excitedly. "You can understand me" he stands up to hug the young man. 

"Heart...fast," Changkyun said when he heard Hyungwon's racing heartbeat. 

Minhyuk furiously entered Hyunwoo's office and nagged at the trauma surgeon for letting Hyungwon wander around. Even worse, Hyunwoo let Hyungwon conduct a 'therapy session' when the latter is not even discharged from the hospital. He even accidentally said a swear word. "You are Chief of Accident and Emergency, not Obstetrics and Gynaecology. You are not my Chief, I can swear at you. By the way, that was unintentional and I'm sorry" Minhyuk said, realizing he made a mistake. When he turns around, he sees Jooheon sitting on the couch. 

"Hyungwon suggested they perform fMRI instead of cutting him open. So, Changkyun is at the radiology right now" Jooheon explains without being asked anything. "They will call me once they are done"

Minhyuk joins the paediatrician on the couch. "So, he can talk?" he blurts out. 

"Yes. Hyungwon was so excited that he got agitated" Jooheon simply replied. 

"We rush him to his ward. His blood pressure spikes up, but it was back to normal before we left" Hyunwoo explains. 

"I know. I checked on him earlier. He still sleeps. That's how I know he sneaks out" Minhyuk replied. "I asked you to keep an eye on him because my schedule is packed today. But, you let him work instead" he glares at Hyunwoo. 

"He's been wanting to see Changkyun since he woke up. It's sooner or later" Hyunwoo simply defend himself as he continues working on his computer. 

"I suddenly scared of him. His thin build makes him look weak. But, the fact, that he can mend and break people mentally is giving me the chill" Jooheon suddenly said.

"I know your feeling. I'm still wondering why I choose to become a housemate with such a dangerous person" Minhyuk replied casually. 

"Kihyun texted me. Harriet and Henry are declared Korean citizens again. They will be using their Korean name and will be transferred to a welfare home for orphans soon" Hyunwoo told his friends. Replying to Kihyun's text at the same time. 

"I'm asking this just in case. What should we answer if Changkyun asks about these children?" Minhyuk sounds serious. "I mean for the past few years, he devoted his life to them. He will want to know about their well-being, right?"

Jooheon's phone is vibrating. He answered the phone call and cut the conversation short.

"The Neuro?" both Minhyuk and Hyunwoo asked simultaneously. 

"Yup. They want to see me" Jooheon replied. "I don't think he will ask about them that soon," he said before he left the office. 

"The bits of you that are broken. The part of you that is damaged. They are your superpower. You survived the impossible. Now, is your time to heal. Take all the time you need. When you're ready, you can rise again and burn all the demons with your fire" 

That was Hyungwon word to Changkyun. He still thinks about it every day as he stands beside the window looking up to the sky. It's been a month since he woke up. Even though his memory isn't completely returned yet, at least he starts to remember a little here and there. His speaking ability improves a lot too. Though he needs to work more on his body coordination that's ok. As long as he recovers well and improves day by day, that is enough for him. Time will heal everything. 

"Changkyun"

He turns around and sees Kihyun. On the day Changkyun wakes up, Kihyun was the only person that feels familiar to him. It's a bit weird considering Hyunwoo and Jooheon have been in his life longer than Kihyun is, but he doesn't recognize them at all. Strange, but he knows life is so mysterious. Thus, he didn't ponder on it. 

"Hyunwoo and Jooheon will be coming home late. They have an emergency case. So, I come to pick you up" Kihyun said as he entered the ward. 

Changkyun smiles as he moves away from the window. Kihyun is already picking up his bag and ready to help him walk. When they walk out of the ward, the nurses say they get well wishes to Changkyun. So, he just replied with a simple thank you and bid them farewell. 

******************

Kihyun holds the front door for Changkyun to enter. The moment the duo stepped inside the house. Both a taken aback by the scene in front of them. Hyungwon is lying on the floor with the worried babbling Sang Wook trying to perform a chest compression with his tiny hands. Changkyun and Kihyun's first reflexes are to rush to the psychiatrist. 

"Come down" Minhyuk jump out from behind the couch. 

"This is a game," Hyungwon said immediately sitting up. Sang Wook is still looking at him full of concern.  

"Yah!" Kihyun is frustrated. Throwing Sang Wook plushy to Minhyuk. He wanted to beat up Hyungwon but remember the tall man is still recovering from his surgeries. So, he just pinched Hyungwon's cheeks and Sang Wook tries his best to stop him.

"Mama. No" Sang Wook said. Try to be stern but look miserably cute instead. 

Kihyun let go of the psychiatrist and pretend to be sulking from being scolded. 

"No," Sang Wook said to his mother. 

Hyungwon pulls the toddler to his lap. Showering Sang Wook with kisses as gratitude. 

"What exactly do you guys do that lead to this?" Changkyun is curious. 

"Having fun" Hyungwon answered. "Sang Wook is such an advanced child. He is three, but not only he is developing in character, but he is also developing in personality. Though, a person's personality evolves all the time, the foundation for it, usually developed at seven years old, or earliest at four or five" 

"You are an expert on child psychology now?" Kihyun unintentionally sounds sarcastic. 

"Nope. I'm still an expert on human behaviour analysis" Hyungwon answered with a fact. 

Hoseok comes out from the kitchen with a large pot. He put it on the living room table. 

"Spicy seafood stew? Kihyun doesn't eat seafood" Changkyun commented. 

"You remember?" Minhyuk sounds excited. 

"Well, maybe I remember it wrong" Changkyun isn't sure about it anymore. 

"Before Sang Wook, I don't eat seafood. My palate changes during and after the pregnancy. But, still, not a big fan of it" Kihyun explains.

"Especially, the one with shells. He still hates it" Hoseok added.

"I was craving for crab when I was pregnant. Don't all seafood have a shell?" Kihyun replied as he helps Hoseok to scoop the stew into a bowl. 

Sang Wook moves away from Hyungwon and goes to Changkyun. "Home back," he said cutely. 

"Do you remember me?" Changkyun asks. 

"Uncle Yun" Sang Wook replied as he hugs the neurosurgeon happily. 

"He's the most excited about your discharge" Hyungwon casually feed Changkyun. 

"Is it ok?" Hoseok is checking the taste of his dish. 

"Compare to all the hospital food, this is heaven" Changkyun replied still hugging Sang Wook tightly. 

"Not too spicy?" Minhyuk asks as he wipes a smudge on Changkyun's lips. 

"Changkyun-ah, I brew a burdock tea for you" Kihyun return from the kitchen with a tea set. He pours one cup for Changkyun. Another one for Hyungwon. 

"Why do I need to drink this?" Hyungwon asks as he smells the tea.

"It's good for the liver" Kihyun simply replied. "Want some?" he asked both Hoseok and Minhyuk and both declined. "Sang Wook-ah, come to mama" he take a seat next to Changkyun. 

"It's ok. I can hold him" Changkyun said. "It's not like you guys will let me eat by myself anyway" he added. 

"Exactly," Hoseok said as he told the neurosurgeon to open his mouth wide. 

Changkyun obediently let the corporate lawyer feed him. Though, Changkyun's brain can't remember well. But, his heart keeps telling him that this is where he belongs and he chooses to trust his instinct. Just like the mind has a memory. The heart has it too and in it are kept the most precious keepsakes.