Chapter 6

Then You Came

"Bro, have you heard the news about Kiko?" SeungHyun asked while he was on the phone with Jiyong.

SeungHyun is Jiyong's bestfriend who's also one of the respected men in the country. He's known for his love for art pieces and is a furniture designer.

"What news?" Jiyong pretended not to care.

"She's coming back to host a reality fashion show on tv." SeungHyun replied.

"Good for her."

"Aren't you excited to see her again?"

"Why should I?"

"Stop pretending like you don't care... This is SeungHyun Choi your talking to Jiyong... Your bestfriend."

"What do you want me to say? That I will see her again and kneel down to have her back?" Jiyong sounded annoyed.

"There might still be a chance between you two."

"She ended it years ago SeungHyun... She chose her career versus me."

"Maybe she never felt that you supported her."

"Why won't I support her? My only issue is when she decided to agree to the contract without letting me know beforehand."

SeungHyun sighed. "No use of talking to you about it... Are you coming tomorrow?"

"Where?"

"Jiyong, stop being too busy and socialize... We're having a class reunion tomorrow. I guess Kiko will be there."

"I'm not sure if I could come."

"Don't say that Bro... If Bom learns about that, she'll surely go to your office and drag you to the party."

"Your girlfriend does that all the time."

"You said it yourself. No one can stop her from getting what she wants... Not even me." SeungHyun warned him.

"I still can't promise."

"Then be ready for Bom's scolding."

"Aren't you busy?" Jiyong changed the topic.

"I am... but not as busy as you."

"You know I can't entrust the company to anybody."

"You always say that."

"Because that's the truth."

"As if your business will go bankrupt if you leave it for a day."

"I just can't be too sure."

"Workaholic."

"I'm not." Jiyong denied.

"You are... I'll tell Bom your not sure about coming to the party... Wait for the Bominator." SeungHyun chuckled. "See you tomorrow." He said then ended the call.

Jiyong threw his phone on his desk and breathe out. He turned his seat around and faced the window.

"Kiko's coming back... I'm not ready to see her again." He said.

"Attending the Reunion party will just make me remember my days with her... Have I really moved on from losing her?" He thought.

***********

A knock on the door disturbed Jiyong's trance.

He was in his office at home, still thinking on whether to come to the party or not.

"Who's that?" Jiyong asked.

"It's me." Dara said from outside the room.

"Come in." He replied.

"Have I interrupted you?" Dara asked, only letting her head peep from the door.

"Not really."

"Nana Jade asked if you would like to have dinner in here."

"Not hungry... Just coffee for me."

"You need to fill your stomach with food and not just with caffeine."

"I'm really not hungry Dara... and I've no energy to argue."

"Fine... A cup of coffee coming up." She gave him a huge smile before closing the door.

When she got back, she has a tray with a cup of coffee and a sandwich on it.

"I prepared it especially for you... It's delicious and nutritious and not so heavy for your tummy since you've mentioned you're not really hungry." She explained even before Jiyong can protest.

"You really don't listen, do you?" His lips formed a little smile.

"Not if the person who's ordering me is also hardheaded." She crinkled her nose. "Anything else I can help you with, Sir?" She teased.

"Have a seat." Jiyong ordered.

"Why?" Dara questioned.

"Just have a seat... I'll be crazy thinking alone in here so please... stay for a little while." He took a sip of coffee on his cup.

Dara sat on the sofa across Jiyong.

"How's Tim and Kim?" He asked.

"They're doing great. They just finished their quarterly exam and Kim was so proud she was able to answer all the questions on her tests. Tim brought home 8 stamps on both his arms for being exceptional." Dara said proudly.

"That's good news." Jiyong commented but his thoughts were into something else.

"Is everything okay?"

"Huh?" Jiyong looked at Dara.

"You don't look well. Is something bothering you?"

"I'm fine." He simply answered.

"You won't ask me to stay for no reason."

Jiyong ruffled his hair before replying, "Have you ever been left behind by someone you love before?"

Dara chuckled. "Why the question suddenly?"

"Have you?"

"Of course." Dara looked down and played with her fingers. "My parents left me. I'm from the orphanage, remember?" She looked at Jiyong with a sad smile.

"Oh, sorry... Why didn't I think about that?"

"It's okay... There's nothing to be sorry about... Is there a reason why you're asking?... Have you been to the same situation?"

Jiyong took a deep breath and sighed.

"My ex girlfriend's coming back and I'm not sure if I'm ready to see her again."

"Why?"

"She left and chose her career over me... I don't know how I'm gonna react if I see her again."

"Then find ways to avoid seeing her."

"But we're having a class reunion tomorrow and I'll be dead meat if I don't attend... She'll be there for sure."

"Then don't attend... Tell them your busy."

"If I don't attend, one of my friends will drag me... as in literally drag me and bring me to the event. She's not called Bominator for no reason."

Dara laughed after hearing the alias. "That's one frightening pseudo-name she got."

"It is... and it fits her really well."

"Then you really got a problem."

"Huh... Thanks for being supportive." He said sarcastically.

"Why not bring someone with you so you can divert your focus away from her... She might also hesitate going near you if she sees you with someone else." Dara suggested.

"Not a bad idea... But who should I bring with me?"

Dara rolled her eyes. "Is it still something to worry about?... You have lots of female friends for sure who'll be willing to help you."

"It's complicated Dara. If I ask someone I know, they might ask for something in return... Or might think I'm hitting on them."

"Seriously? Why does it have to be that complicated."

"I'm Jiyong Kwon, Dara."

"You're no difference to other male beings especially when your at home." Dara shrugged.

"Did you just belittle me?" Jiyong's eyes squinted.

"Of course not... Your my boss. Why should I do that?" She denied. "It's just that I've been here for like almost three months now and I've not seen anything different between you and other men... Except that you're just a little more attractive than others... Just a little advanced when it comes to looks." She gestured with her hand.

Jiyong stared at her.

"What?... I'm just stating my opinion."

He didn't answer and continued staring.

Upon realizing that Jiyong might have gotten angry because of what she said, she quickly apologized. "Sorry boss... I didn't mean to insult you or anything like that Mr. Kwon... Please don't get mad Sir." She clasped both her hands below her chin.

"I think I found my solution?" Jiyong smiled meaningfully.

"Huh?" Dara got confused.

"You'll come with me to the party."

"Ehh?!" Shock registered on Dara's face.

"You suggested it... Have someone with me tomorrow... and that someone will be you."

"No, no, no Jiyong... I can't. I won't. I have Kim and Tim to take care of." She firmly declined.

"Tim and Kim will be asleep by then... Party's gonna be at 9PM so the kids won't be an issue."

"Please Jiyong... Find someone else. I can't be there. Look at me... You'll just get embarrassed to have me by your side... Not me... Please."

"Dara, I beg you. Help me with this one. I need you to be with me tomorrow... Please."

Dara looked at Jiyong who's looking at her intently.

"Please." Jiyong pleaded.

'Why can't I say no to this person?' She sighed.

"Fine." She agreed eventually. "But don't expect me to act classy and socialite... You know I can't do that."

"I only ask you to be there with me. That's it."

"Can I not be Sandara tomorrow?" She looked up at the ceiling.

Jiyong chuckled. "Thank you for saying yes."

"I don't have a choice."

He nodded. "You're right... You don't. Thanks nevertheless." He smiled sweetly.

"Go ahead and finish your sandwich and coffee... I'll just check on Tim and Kim and head to sleep... I aged 10 years by just sitting here tonight." She stood up.

"Good night Ajhumma." Jiyong grinned.

Dara bowed and said, "Good night Mr. Kwon." and left the room.