Chapter 19

Then You Came

Jiyong was left in his work room thinking about what just happened.

He tried to weigh his feelings. He's totally aware that his feelings for Kiko is still there but something new is rising inside.

'Am I starting to fall out of love with Kiko?... I'm confused with the emotions I'm feeling when it comes to Dara.'

He sat on the couch, rested his back on the backrest and raked his hair with his fingers.

'I think Dara's the answer for me to totally move on from my past... Not as someone who I can use to have Kiko back but as someone who I can share my feelings with.'

He looked up the ceiling and held his chest that's still hammering caused by the kiss that he had shared with Dara.

His lips formed a smile.

"It's been a while since I felt this way." He told himself.

He stood up and headed to his room to rest.

Sleep well. Goodnight. =)

He sent a short text message to Dara before completely cradling himself to sleep.

***********

Dara didn't know how she was able to bring herself in her room.

Her heart's filled with so much happiness it might pop out of her chest any time.

Jiyong told her he likes her... He was honest to admit it's not as strong as how he feels about Kiko but knowing that a guy like him liked someone like her still brings her to cloud-nine.

She was taken away from her thoughts when she heard her message alert tone.

It was a message from Jiyong.

She smiled immediately after reading it.

Her fingers were soon typing on her keypad to send him a reply but she wasn't sure on what to say so she simply sent...

Goodnight.

It was really a good night thanks to you... See you tomorrow. - Jiyong

Yes... See you tomorrow.

'I probably would dream of you tonight.' She thought of adding but refrained herself from doing so.

She went to bed and tried to close her eyes to get some sleep but it was hard for her.

She remembered Youngbae and their conversation earlier.

She's feeling guilty she has not given him the chance to prove himself.

"But if I've done that, I'll just give him false hope that there might be a chance between us... He seems to be a nice guy." She stared at her phone. "I even told him there's no chance there will be something between me and Jiyong... and now, this happened... What should I do?"

Feeling the guilt, she decided to sent Youngbae a message. She thought about what to tell him very carefully.

Hi. You probably are asleep now... I'm sorry Youngbae. I can see how good of a man you are but I still insist of just being friends... You're always welcome to tell me any problems you have. I'm willing to be a listener. Sorry Youngbae.

She hesitated to send it but then still ended up hitting the send button.

Why say sorry? It's not as if it's your obligation for you to like me back. If your decision is for us to be friends, I should be ok with it... But as I've told you, I'm still not giving up. - Youngbae

Dara sighed after reading his reply.

"Maybe I really shouldn't worry about it... I'm just thinking too much."

She was about to sleep when her phone rang.

...Youngbae...

She wanted to cancel the call but it would be rude of her if she do that so even if hesitating, she answered it.

"Hey, you're still awake." She said.

"I still don't feel sleepy." He chuckled.

Silence...

"I just called to check on you... I thought something might have happened... You're message is a little weird." He broke the silence.

"Oh, that... I just thought I really have to apologize so I decided to send you a message."

"Don't worry too much... I'm fine. You need to sleep now."

"Youngbae..."

"Hmm?"

"I have to tell you something."

"What is it?"

"Remember I told you there's no chance that Jiyong and I will end up together, right?"

He didn't reply.

"I don't know what we have right now... but I don't think what I said is still true. I think I'm falling for him Youngbae... and I'm sorry I have to tell you this. My guilt is eating me up refusing you and wanting someone who's very close to you before... I'm sorry."

"You... and Jiyong... You mean there might already be something?"

"Maybe... I'm also not sure. Sorry Youngbae. It will continue bothering me if I didn't tell you about it."

He chuckled bitterly. "I don't know what to say."

"We can still be friends, right?"

"Of course... We can only be friends." He whispered.

"I'm sorry Youngbae."

"Don't be... You did nothing wrong."

"I can only say sorry... Sorry." Dara sounded very apologetic.

"It's fine Dara... Rest now. It's already almost 2 in the morning."

"I hope the closeness that you have with Jiyong... the one that you told me about... can still be restored."

"I don't know if it's still gonna happen... A lot of things have already changed."

"But I'm still hoping." She paused. "Friends?"

"Yes... friends." He said weakly. "Sleep now... Goodnight Dara."

"Goodnight."

"Bye." He said then ended the call.

Thinking that she might have hurt Youngbae's feelings deprived her of sleep.

***********

"Good morning."

Dara turned around and saw Jiyong who greeted her with a big smile.

"Why are you up this early? The kids don't have class today, right?" He asked.

"I'm just preparing their breakfast and also what we'll be needing in making cookies."

"Cookies?"

"Yes... It will be their activity after breakfast."

"I see." He grabbed a chair and watched Dara as she gracefully moved inside the kitchen. "Have you gotten enough sleep?" He asked.

Dara looked at him and frowned. "Do I look like a zombie?"

He chuckled. "No."

"I know I look like one... I actually wasn't able to sleep well last night." She said honestly.

"Why?" He asked. And even before she was able to answer, he spoke, "Uh! Probably because you were thinking about someone." He wiggled his eyebrows, trying to convey that it was him she's thinking about.

She smiled at him and replied, "Maybe."

"Or maybe you were thinking of something else?" He pouted.

Dara's expression became serious.

"You were?" Jiyong clarified but Dara didn't reply.

"Dara, what I told you last night was serious... I wasn't kidding when I told you I like you... and I've already thought about it a lot of times and I still end up with that same answer from here." He touched his chest where his heart lies.

Dara stopped what she was doing, placed a chair in front of Jiyong and sat on it.

"I like you too Jiyong... I do... Everything just feels surreal right now." She looked down. "I don't wanna keep anything from you if we'll continue to share this same feeling." She stopped and looked at him to assess what his reaction may be.

"Promise me you'll listen to what I'm about to tell you and not make negative reactions out of your elated emotions."

"I'm getting nervous." He said.

"Promise me... please."

"Alright... alright. I promise."

"I met with a guy last night, right?"

"Right..." His eyebrows furrowed.

"It's actually Youngbae."

"What?! You met with Youngbae?! How did you two meet? How did you know him? Since when?" Panic, shock and anger registered in his voice.

"Let me explain... You promised you'll stay calm, right?" She held Jiyong's hand that's now balled into fist on his knee.

"Fine... I'm sorry."

"I met him when Chaerin texted me to bring you home from that bar called The Place."

"No wonder... He was being a player that night and tried to hit on you." He whispered.

"No... That's not the case... He actually helped me get in since there was a dress code before you can enter the bar."

"Of course he'll be able to do that... He's the owner of The Place."

"And I only learned about that last night... And there's something I learned about the two of you, too."

"What nonsense did he tell you?"

"You were friends... best of friends until something happened that caused your friendship to end."

He chuckled bitterly. "He's a total loser."

"Jiyong, whatever it is that has happened between the two of you, won't you be able to forget about it and be friends again?"

"You're hoping for a miracle Dara."

"And miracles do happen sometimes."

"Why are you saying this?"

"Because Youngbae and I are now friends... and you both were friends, too... so for everyone to be happy... let's all spread the love and be friends with each other."

"You're making me laugh." He smirked.

She pouted. "I'm serious."

"No Dara... Ask me for anything else except that."

"I don't believe there's no more chance for both of you to be friends again."

"Don't spend effort into something which won't give you any positive result."

Dara sighed. "I won't give up."

Jiyong shrugged.

Dara moved closer and asked, "It would be okay if I still continue being friends with him, right?"

"Dara..." He was about to refuse but Dara was quick to interrupt what he was about to say.

"He's a good man Jiyong... He needs friends, too." She clasped her hands together and placed it under her chin. "Please."

"Do whatever you like... It's your life anyway." He sounded annoyed.

Dara hugged him. "Please don't be mad... He's a friend now... and you're someone more than that."

He didn't reply.

She hugged him tighter. "Are you still angry?"

"I'm just not happy to know that in some way, Youngbae has entered my life again."

Dara pulled from the hug and smiled at him. "I just wanna help both of you regain that friendship."

He shook his head. "You're wasting your time."

"Anything that concerns you is not a waste of time."

He sighed.

"Thank you." She told him.

"For what?"

"Nothing... Just thank you."

"I sometimes really can't understand you." A little smile formed in his lips.

"Dara is another term for weird, they say." She chuckled.

He pinched her cheek. "Go back to what you're doing... I'll check on the kids to see if they're awake now."

"No, let me do it." Dara said.

"No, no... Just do what you're doing... You can't make me do breakfast... It would taste terrible." He joked.

"You have a point." She replied grinning.

He patted her head and left the kitchen.