Chapter 46

Then You Came


"Jiyong, what happened?" Bom asked after seeing Jiyong coming over to the pool side with slump shoulders. "I just saw Dara running towards the house."

"It's over, Bom... It's over."

"Jiyong?..."

He wiped his tears and forced a smile. "I'm just gonna be in my room if you'll need anything."

Bom touched his shoulder. "Would you like me to talk to Dara?"

He shook his head. "There's nothing to talk about... I think everything's clear now... I'm sorry, Bom... I need to be in my room."

"Ok... Take a rest." Was the only words Bom could say.

He walked towards the house without letting the kids see his state.

Bom couldn't do anything but to give her friend some alone time.

************

"Dae, Unnie called me... She said she's back from Japan and is currently in the mansion."

"What?! Why is she there?... I thought... What if?... Noona shouldn't be there." Daesung got a little hysterical.

"Hey, calm down... Do you remember the news we saw on TV about the twins' mother?"

"What about that?"

"That's why Unnie came home... They needed her there to guide the kids."

"Noona didn't have anything to do with them anymore... After what Jiyong Hyung did to her?"

"Don't talk that way... You know how much Unnie loves the twins. She's just probably worried about how they will react."

"But she can't stay there... She'll just hurt herself more."

"Dae..." She looked at her brother intently.

"What?"

"Let's tell Noona about how many times Oppa stayed all night outside the orphanage... This probably is just a misunderstanding."

"No!" Daesung stressed.

"But, Dae..."

"I said NO... I won't let that Jiyong Kwon hurt Noona again."

"We haven't heard his side about it."

"Minzy, isn't it enough that Dara Noona heard the truth coming from his mouth? What's more to hear?"

"Think about it, Dae... If Oppa really doesn't love Unnie, why will he do that extra effort of wooing her back?... What if Unnie just misheard what he said?"

He combed his hair with his fingers. "Minzy, you're not making any sense... It's Unnie we're talking about... Why are you taking Hyung's side?"

"I'm not... I just want to know what really happened between them. I have a feeling that something's wrong."

"I told you before... I don't want to argue with you about this... Call Noona. Tell her I'll take her from there and bring her back here in the orphanage."

"Are you crazy?... I just told you... The twins need her."

"And how about her?"

"It's Unnie's choice."

"Noona's no longer thinking straight when it comes to them... She should think about her self for once."

Daesung was about to leave but Minzy was quick to block his way.

"Allow me to make the decision this ones, Dae."

"Minzy!"

"I know something's not right... and we need to find out what it is."

He held her arm and tried to move her away but she stayed still.

"Just this ones, Dae... I understand that you're protecting Unnie and you only want what's good for her... I love Unnie, too. That's why I'm doing this."

"Minzy..."

"Please..." She pleaded.

He took a deep breath and stared at her.

She smiled.

"What are you planning to do?"

"We can't talk to Unnie yet... She's too emotional... I say, let her stay in the mansion for her to do what she has to do... We, on the other hand, need to talk to Oppa's friends... They probably know something about this."

"Youngbae Hyung?"

"We can also try talking to Oppa's cousins... the other twins."

"Minzy, I'm not sure about this plan."

"Dae, we're not losing anything here... If we can clarify things, then good... If not, then we keep Unnie away from Jiyong Oppa... Satisfied?"

"Fine... But now, I can't just stand here without seeing how Dara Noona's doing."

"What should we do?"

"Check on her at the mansion."

"We'll go there?"

"That's the only way... And you can try talking to Hyung's cousins if they're there."

"I'll let Mother Cecilia know... We go tomorrow morning."

"Okay." Daesung agreed.

************

Jiyong opened the door to his room after hearing someone knock.

"Dara?" He was not expecting to see her outside his room.

"I'm sorry to disturb you... I'm just here to talk about the kids." She said with a straight face.

"Do you want... Uhm... inside?... Should we talk inside?" He stammered.

She shook her head. "I just want to ask you if it's okay for me to talk to the kids about..." She stopped mid-sentence.

"...their mom?"

"Chaerin told me about your efforts to keep the kids away from her."

His grip on the door knob tightened. "She can't have them."

"I understand that, Ji... But it's the kids right to know who she is... They'll eventually know about it anyway... especially now that she already showed herself to media. Its better they hear it from us... I mean, from someone close to them."

"I'm scared." He looked down and Dara felt the urge to hug him... but she stopped herself.

She knew it wasn't right.

"We all are scared, Ji... But the kids have their mind of their own. They're on the right age to know the right thing."

"When will you tell them?" He looked at her.

"I'm planning to talk to them tonight before they go to sleep."

"Can I be there."

"Uh... of course... Do you want to tell them about it?"

"I can't... I don't know how I'll tell them... I can't." He continuously shook his head.

"Hey." She held his shoulder then slid it to his back and rubbed it to calm him. "I'll do it... I'll try my best to let them understand."

Without a word, he pulled her closer and hugged her.

Dara was taken aback but didn't get the chance to push him away as his shoulders started to shake.

She knew he was crying.

"I've already lost almost everything... If I lose them, I won't have any reason to live anymore."

"Yah, Jiyong!" She wiped the tears that escaped her eyes and gently pushed him away. "Don't ever say that... I won't let you lose the kids."

"Dara..." He looked very vulnerable to anything.

"You're tired... Get some rest... Let's just talk to the kids tomorrow."

With trembling lips and shaking hands, he reached for her hand. "Dara..."

"No Jiyong... If you're trying to talk about US, just stop."

He released her hand and sniffed. "I'm sorry." He said in a whisper.

"I'm here to help you with the kids... I can never be more clear on that." She stated.

"I understand."

Dara felt bad but inside her head, she thought she was doing the right thing. "Go back to rest... I won't talk to the kids until your okay."

"No... no... You're right... The kids have to know... and the earlier, the better."

"You mean?..."

Jiyong dried his tears and pursed his lips to even out his breathing. "We should talk to them tonight."

"You sure... You..."

"I'm sure." He said, walked past her and headed towards the kids' room.

Dara didn't have the choice but to follow.

***********

The twins's nannies stepped out of the room after Dara and Jiyong got inside.

Jiyong sat on Kim's bed while Dara sat on Tim's.

"Mama, are you gonna tell us a story before we go to sleep?" Kim asked.

"Yes... Just like what we were used to doing last time." Tim sounded very excited.

"Come here near Papa's side, Kim." Jiyong said.

"You wanna give Papa a good night hug?" Dara asked Tim.

Excitedly, the twins rushed to their Papa and gave him a hug to which he responded with the same gesture, just a little tighter.

"Kim... Tim..." She called their attention.

"Yes, Mama?" Tim answered.

"Mama has to tell you something very important." Dara started.

"What is it?... Are we gonna go on a picnic?" Kim was all smile.

Dara gave both of them a sweet smile. "You know we all love you both so much, right?"

"What's wrong, Mama?" Tim sensed something with Dara's question.

"Someone important came back, Sweetie."

"Someone important?" Kim asked.

Dara nodded and took her phone from her pocket and showed an image of a woman to them.

"Who's she?" Tim got curious.

"She's actually the person who gave birth to both of you."

"Our mother?" Tim tried to confirm.

"What do you mean our mother, Tim? Mama Dara's our Mom." Kim reacted.

"Kim, come here." Dara called, opening her arms for the little girl.

She obeyed and was assisted by Jiyong to slide down his lap and walked to Dara's arms. Her small arms wrapped around her Mama's waist.

"She would like to see both of you."

"Papa, are you going to give us to her?" Tim asked.

"No, baby... Both of you will stay with Papa... That's if you both want to be with me."

"We won't leave your side, Papa. We'll stay with you and take care of you until you grow old." Tim told him, wrapping his arms around Jiyong's neck.

"What can you say about the idea of seeing your true Mom?" Dara asked.

Both the kids didn't answer.

"Kim? Tim?" She called their attention to remind them of the question.

"I'm scared." Kim replied.

Dara hugged her.

"Will you and Papa be there?" Tim asked.

"Of course... We won't leave your side." Jiyong assured them.

"Tim, Kim... We're not telling you all these just because Papa doesn't want to keep you here anymore... Papa loves both of you... and he wouldn't let anybody take you away from him... But she's still your mother... and you need to know who she is."

There was no response from the twins.

Dara broke the few minutes of silence. "It's probably too much for both of you to take in... Let's get you to bed... It's already past your sleeping time."

Kim hugged her tighter. "Mama, can you stay here in our room?" She pressed her cheek on her chest.

She looked at Jiyong and back to Kim. "Okay... Mama will stay until you get some sleep."

"I want to sleep with Mama, too." Tim complained.

She chuckled. "We won't fit on Kim's bed."

"But that's unfair." Tim pouted.

"Ahh!" Dara thought of an idea. "Do you want to go camping in your playroom?"

"Really?" Both got excited with the idea.

"You want to help Mama put up the tent?" Jiyong asked.

"Yes, Papa." Tim stood up and raised his hands. "Yeepee!!"

Kim sat up straight and shook her body in excitement.

It made Dara laugh.

A smile formed on Jiyong's lips while seeing the kids and Dara's laughter. But it also faded away after realizing it may be the last happy time he'll share with her.

************

"Tent's set... Pillows and blankets are in... Now all we have to do is to lie down and sleep." Dara pretended to shake off the dust on her hands.

"If not for both of you, we'll not be able to prepare the tent. Good job." Jiyong praised the twins.

"Sleeping time." Dara said.

"Come on Papa, let's get inside the tent and sleep." Kim held his hand and pulled him.

He immediately looked at Dara who also looked at him.

"Papa needs to wake up early tomorrow. You can both sleep beside Mama tonight and I'll be sleeping in my room."

"But Papa... didn't you miss Mama, too?" Tim asked.

Jiyong looked at Dara intently. "I missed her... Missed her so much." He answered, meaning every word he said.

"Please... sleep with us, Papa." Kim shook his hand.

"But..." He was about to say more when Dara spoke.

"The kids are right... Sleep with U..." she was about to say US but decided not to. "...sleep beside the kids tonight. They don't get to do this with you often." She said.

"Maybe some other time."

"It's fine, Jiyong."

"You... sure?"

"For the kids." She clarified.

Jiyong nodded.

"Hop in." Dara told the twins and they immediately made themselves comfortable in the middle of the tent.

"Let me just turn off the light." Jiyong said. He turned his flashlight on after the lights went off. "After you." He told her, asking her to get inside the tent first.

Dara stepped in and laid down beside Kim. Jiyong followed and stayed beside Tim.

Kim grabbed Dara's arm and placed it around her waist. Tim did the same to Jiyong's arm. Not contented with what they did, the twins placed their Papa's hand on top of their Mama's.

"Aren't we gonna get a goodnight kiss?" Kim asked.

Dara lifted her head and kissed both on their cheeks. Jiyong also kissed both on their forehead.

"No goodnight kiss for both of you?" Tim asked, smiling.

"You both go to sleep now." Jiyong commanded.

"But Papa, you always give Mama a goodnight kiss." Kim pouted.

"She's right." Tim seconded.

Jiyong sighed and without saying anything, he sat up and gave Dara a quick kiss on her lips.

"I'm sorry." He whispered before going back to his position.

"Both of you, sleep now... No more games." Dara said, trying to act normal while her heart was beating fast.

"Goodnight, Mama... Goodnight, Papa." Both said while pulling their arms back together.

"Goodnight kids." Jiyong told them.

Tim and Kim had a smile of contentment before closing their eyes.

Few minutes have passed and kids were already fast asleep.

Due to fatigue after her flight plus being emotionally drained, Dara also fell asleep.

Jiyong looked at the kids who were already sleeping soundly. He then looked at Dara.

He knew she's already in deep sleep as her breathing was even.

Gently, he intertwined his fingers to hers.

'I love you, Dara... But if letting go would make you happy... I will let go... Just allow me to be with you like this, at least for this last time... I love you.'