Chapter 23

Then You Came

"Kim's asleep now." Jiyong told Dara after seeing how her head was bobbing while she's seated on Dara's lap.

"Oh, yah... Let me put her to bed first... Tim, say goodnight to Papa." She told the sleepy-looking Tim.

"Goodnight Papa." The little kid kissed the monitor that showed Jiyong's face.

"Goodnight baby... Let's talk again tomorrow." Jiyong said and gave him a flying kiss.

"Let me take care of the kids first." Dara said and carried Kim on her arm while she's holding Tim's back to guide him towards his bed.

Jiyong watched Dara as she made sure the two kids were securely lying on bed.

"I'll move to my room so we won't disturb Tim and Kim?" Dara said, grabbing the laptop and walked down the stairs to her room.

"Aren't you tired yet?" She asked after reaching her room and sitting on her bed.

Jiyong shook his head.

"You said you had a meeting earlier today, right?"

"I did... It actually lasted for 5 hours... The US market is a lot different so we had to make adjustments." He massaged his nape.

"I've packed some homemade teabags for you... Did you see it?"

He nodded. "It tastes good."

"Have some before sleeping... It will help you relax."

"Okay."

...Silence...

"I wish you're here... It feels different going home and not seeing the three of you."

"It's been 2 weeks since you left... We miss you already."

"I do, too... I miss you."

"Good thing is... we just need to wait 2 more weeks and you'll be back home."

"I hope I don't need to extend my stay here."

"You might stay there longer?"

"Only if we'll still not settle things soon."

Dara sighed.

"I miss those lips." Jiyong extended his arm on to the monitor of his laptop as if able to touch Dara's lips with his thumb.

Dara's nose crinkled.

"I wish you're here with me." He told her.

"Should I use my teleporting ability and rush there tonight?" She joked.

"If only humans have that ability... that would be awesome... Like the guy in the movie Jumper where he teleport himself to anywhere he wants... Cool, right?"

"Less traffic... Less time for travelling... I wonder if there will be an invention of that sort that will be created in the future."

"Who knows... That might just happen... I'll be the first to line up for that." Jiyong laughed and Dara did the same.

"Missing you makes me think of impossible things." He stated.

"That might be due to lack of rest... Your brain cells have been used and abused today." She chuckled.

"It will be so nice to have a good massage on my head to rest my overused brain cells."

"Come back home quick so the kids and I can pamper you with massage you'll never forget."

"Massage I'll never forget?... Probably because Kim and Tim will use their learned karate moves on me... HAHAHA."

"They're good at it."

"It will be more of a torture rather than soothing massage."

"I can imagine. HAHAHA."

"What will you do with the kids tomorrow?" He asked.

"We'll probably go out... I'll bring them to the orphanage after class. Mother Cecilia will have a little feast for my FOUND DAY." She said.

"I almost forgot... It's your found day tomorrow." He lied about forgetting.

She calls it FOUND DAY instead of birthday as it is her false birthday and it's the same date as when Mother Cecilia found her outside the orphanage.

"I told Mother Cecilia not to bother preparing for it but she insisted."

"It just comes ones a year."

"But we just celebrated in Jeju... That should be enough."

Jiyong shook his head. "It's Saturday tomorrow so the twins can enjoy playing with the kids there... And Daesung and Minzy will be there to take care of them so you can rest a bit."

"You're right... The twins will enjoy it there." She smiled.

Jiyong yawned.

"You're tired... Get some rest now."

"The bed's calling me now... My eyes are a little droopy."

"Take a cup of tea before sleeping so you can have a good sleep."

"I will."

"Goodnight."

"Where's my goodnight kiss?" He asked.

She kissed her palm and touched the monitor, as if giving the kiss to Jiyong.

"That will do for tonight." He said with s smile.

"Goodnight." She repeated.

"Goodnight." He replied.

***********

"Bro, have you already accomplished the request I've asked you?" Jiyong asked SeungHyun over the phone.

"Almost... We're just adding a few more touches and we're done." His bestfriend replied.

Bom took the phone from his boyfriend and talked to Jiyong, too.

"Jiyong, when will you be coming home?... I smell something fishy about this surprise... You need to let me know what's going on between you and Dara." She interrogated.

Jiyong just chuckled. "I'll explain once I get back." He said.

"You should... But I think I'll be contented for now... I'm happy hearing you this perky again." Bom smiled.

"Thanks for helping SeungHyun."

"He wouldn't tell me where he was going this morning... I had to force him before he told me both of you are planning something for Dara."

"Sorry, Bommie... I'll make sure we'll go out as soon as I get back to compensate on that."

"You promise?" She asked.

"Yes... I promise."

"Okay... Here's your bestfriend." She said, handing the phone to SeungHyun.

"Take your time with what your doing bro... I was just informed Dara will be spending the night in the orphanage."

"Okay."

"I owe you this my dear boyfie." Jiyong tried to sound like Bom to be funny and he didn't fail to make SeungHyun laugh.

"You're crazy man... You scared me for a second there." SeungHyun laughed.

"Do I sound like your pretty Bommie?"

"No... Not a bit."

"HAHAHA... Then I should practice more."

"Don't... I might fall for you if you do that." SeungHyun started to ride the joke.

"That's my purpose boyfie." Jiyong said, still imitating Bom's voice.

"Wait til Bom hears you... Want me to hand the phone to her?"

"No man... I still love my life." Jiyong laughed.

"She'll go like... I don't sound like that at all... then she'll hit you nonstop."

"Right... So let's just keep this affair a secret."

"Hahaha... I agree."

"Are you talking about me?" Jiyong heard Bom said on the background.

"There she goes... Let's end this now... Talk to you later... Thank again." Jiyong said.

"Okay... I'll let you know once we're done."

"Alright."

"Bye."

***********

"Noona, I have invited someone over... Is it okay?" Daesung asked.

"Sure... Who is it?"

"Probably that person he always boast about who's helping him out in getting a singing job." Minzy told their older sister.

"Huh? Daesung? What does that mean?" Dara squinted her eyes on her brother.

"I was just hoping I can practice singing and earn at the same time... Sorry I didn't tell you Noona... I promise I'm not neglecting school." Daesung defended himself.

"Is he telling the truth about not neglecting school, Minzy?"

Minzy smiled widely. "He is... He's keeping his good marks in school, Unnie."

Dara nodded. "That's good... Make a promise that this singing gig you have is just for fun... Promise me."

"I promise Noona." He raised his right hand.

"Okay... It's good you asked this guy your talking about to come over so we can talk to him about the help his giving you."

"He's almost here... Wait, let me just go out to bring him here." Daesung disappeared quickly and came back with the guy he's talking about.

Dara got shocked after seeing who it was.

"Youngbae?" Her eyes widened.

"You know him Noona?" Daesung asked, surprised.

"Wait here you two... Take care of the twins for me... I just need to talk to this guy in private." Dara stood up and pulled Youngbae outside of the orphanage, on the street just near their wooden gate.

"Hi." Youngbae greeted, raising his hand.

Dara placed her hand on her waist. "Explain."

"Yes... I know Daesung's your brother... Well not brother as in real brother but you treat him as your brother." He said calmly. "Is that what you would like to hear?"

"Youngbae..."

"I was just trying to help him... Even before I learned about how he's related to you, I already heard him sing... and I thought it would be a waste if his talent is not recognized."

"How?"

"How did I learn about his talent?"

Dara nodded without removing her hands on her waist.

"I became one of the judges in a singing contest in their school... and he was one of the contestants."

She raised an eyebrow. "Then how did you know that I'm his sister?"

"He's one proud kid when it comes to his family... He told me about you... That you provide for his tuition... and he showed a family picture... you were there."

"Are you sure you're not just making this story up?"

"It's all coincidence Dara... I admit I got more encouraged to help him after knowing he's related to you but meeting him was never planned."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Fine... But I want you to know that Daesung needs to focus on his studies first... I'm thankful you're helping him with his dream but I hope you don't influence him yet in doing much until he graduates."

"If you say so... Your wish is always my command."

A smile formed on Dara's lips. "Thank you."

"Can I still get in and celebrate with you?"

Dara sighed and rolled her eyes. "Fine."

Youngbae's smile became wider. "Thank you... Here." He handed a paper bag to her. "A little something for your birthday."

"I..."

He immediately interrupted her. "It's just a present... Am I also not allowed to do this?"

"Okay... Okay." She raised her palm to show that she surrender. "Thank you." She told him.

"You're welcome." He grinned.

"Let's get in so you can eat."

"I love food."

"We only have simple dishes."

"So?"

"Just a reminder coz you probably are not used to the dishes we'll be serving you." She crinkled her nose.

"Psss... I'm hungry... Shall we?" Youngbae asked.

"Let's go." She said smiling.

They all enjoyed the food and chitchat.

At around 9:30 in the evening, Youngbae thanked Mother Cecilia and everyone else and left.

Dara sent him off by walking with him until they reached the street just outside the orphanage.