Chapter 9

Then You Came

Jiyong noticed his grip on Dara's hand when they reached their table, he immediately released it.

"Sorry." He apologized.

"That's fine." She answered, sitting on a chair near him.

"Thanks for backing me up out there." He told her.

"I saw how uneasy you were... You didn't know what to do."

"I thought seeing her won't affect me anymore... I was wrong."

"Should we still stay?"

"I'll be fine... Let's just keep our distance from her."

"What if she comes to this table?"

"You'll be here so I guess that's okay."

"I can see how the Jiyong Kwon I know changes in a snap in front of a woman he likes." Dara chuckled.

"I liked... It's all in the past."

""You still like her... You can't deny that."

"I don't... Seeing her reminds me of the time she left... Not a happy thought." He took a glass of wine from the server who passed by and drank it straight.

Dara didn't answer and just watched how Jiyong stared at Kiko the whole time.

'He probably got really hurt to still bury the pain until now... Poor Jiyong.' Dara thought.

"Jiyong, can I borrow Dara for a minute?... I just need to ask a little help from her." Bom suddenly appeared.

Dara looked at Jiyong to see if he would agree.

"Sure... Just don't ask her to do anything stupid, Bom." He replied.

"I won't... I promise... Thanks Jiyong." Bom grinned. "I'll bring her back to you in a few."

Jiyong nodded.

Bom held Dara by the arm and walked towards where SeungHyun was standing.

"Is there anything that I can help you out with?" Dara asked, clueless.

"I'm sorry for taking away your purpose of coming here at the party... Kiko requested to have the chance to talk to Jiyong." Bom looked at her, apologetic, then looked at where Jiyong was seated.

Dara followed Bom's gaze and saw that Kiko was about to go near Jiyong. She took a step to go where Kiko was heading but Bom stopped her.

"I know Jiyong asked you to stay by his side, but they need this chance to talk... Let's just let them have this time... Please?" Bom gave her a pleading look.

Dara had no choice but to just watch as Kiko reaches the table.

"Will Jiyong be okay?" She asked.

"I don't know... but I think it's important for them to talk, nevertheless." Bom replied.

They became silent.

Feeling the awkwardness, SeungHyun excused himself and went to talk to a friend.

"How long have you been working with the Kwons?" Bom asked, breaking the silence, offering her a drink.

Dara accepted it before answering. "5 months now."

"Are you having a hard time with the kids?"

Dara shook her head and smiled. "They're both very nice kids... They listen well."

"Do you know that this is the first time Jiyong has brought someone with him to a gathering?" Bom said.

"He needed to have someone with him as he didn't know how he can handle seeing Kiko again... That's why he asked me to come."

"That means he's comfortable with having you around."

"Probably because I spend time with him and the kids at home."

"Jiyong, Kiko, SeungHyun and I have been very close friends ever since we were little." Bom said, looking at Jiyong and Kiko while they were. "We even went to the same University... Totally inseparable... Kiko and Jiyong were on top of that. Their adoration for each other were incomparable... Jiyong loved Kiko so much it broke his heart when she left to make her dreams come true."

"I think Jiyong still likes Kiko... It shows in his actions... He's just probably hurt inside that's why he's denying it... even to himself."

"I want both of them to be happy... That's all I'm asking... Jiyong and Kiko are both my friends. If they end up being together again, I'll be very happy... but if not, I'll still be okay with that... All I wish is for them to be okay... No more hard feelings."

"Is that why you made them talk even though Jiyong might not feel good about it?"

Bom nodded. "Kiko needs to have the chance to explain her side... and Jiyong needs to hear it, too."

"I just hope Jiyong would still be okay after this." Dara sounded worried.

"Everyone hopes for that to happen... Seunghyun also worries for his bestfriend... We all do."

"Your friendship's lovely... I envy that." Dara looked at Bom and spoke the words sincerely.

"You're making me cry." Bom said.

"Sorry." Dara offered tissue from her clutch bag and smiled at her. She her back to calm her down.

************

"Mind if I sit beside you?"

Jiyong got startled hearing that voice. He recognized it even from afar.

"Ah.. no.. I mean it's not taken so... go ahead if you would like to sit." He struggled with his words.

"Are you still mad at me?" Kiko asked.

Jiyong played with his glass of wine.

"I'm sorry Jiyong... Sorry I chose my career over you... Will you be able to forgive me?"

Jiyong smirked. "You say it as if I'm just like a kid who's candy was taken away and now being consoled... How can you take it so lightly? How could you just leave just like that?"

Kiko touched his hand that's on his lap.

"Jiyong, it's a big opportunity that came... and I thought it was my chance to reach for my dreams... You know how much I long to be recognized as a model, right?"

"That's why you didn't even let me know about the contract you've signed in the US? A 3 year contract away from me Kiko... If you have respected our relationship back then, you could have at least included me in your decision making."

"I know you would stop me from accepting the offer... And it was also hard for me back then since you were very busy with learning how to handle your family business... There's just too much going on in your life that time."

"Didn't you realize I needed you during that time more than anyone else?... My brother ran away... I shouldered the responsibility that was supposed to be his and you know how my parents were... How hard they were in keeping me focused... I was suffocating... Then you left... when I needed you the most."

"I'm sorry Jiyong... I know sorry won't ease the pain I have caused you... but I hope you can still forgive me."

"Seven years of not seeing you... I thought I would be able to forget. But seeing you seems like a knife that's cutting the wound that's supposed to be healed by now."

Jiyong pulled his hand away from Kiko's grip.

"Enjoy the fame you've earned Kiko... You're a famous model now... You got what you wished for... I'm happy for you." He stood up and searched for Dara in the crowd. He saw her with Bom who's near the door of the reception area.

"Take care... I have to leave." He said and left Kiko alone and without looking back, headed towards where Dara and Bom was.

"Sorry Bom... we need to go." He told his friend.

"This early? Party's just starting to heat up." Bom told him.

"I forgot to tell you, I need to check on an email sent by one of our clients tonight... I'll make sure to see you again soon... I promise." He replied.

"Okay."

"Just tell SeungHyun we already left... I'll call him tomorrow."

"Alright."

"Thanks Bom. I had a great time. You really are the best in setting up parties." He forced a smile. "Sorry I have to take Dara with me now."

"It's fine... Take care." Bom hugged him. She gave him a consoling smile and squeezed his arm. "Call me or SeungHyun if you need anything."

"I will... Thanks." He looked at Dara and said, "Let's go?"

Dara nodded.

"Take care of him for us, Dara." Bom whispered before Dara took a step away.

"Don't worry, I'll be by his side." She whispered back, giving Bom assurance that Jiyong will be okay.

Dara followed behind Jiyong after saying goodbye to Bom.

***********

"Should I drive for you?" Dara asked when they reached the car.

"Why?" Jiyong furrowed his eyebrows.

"You're probably tired and might want to rest a bit before you can get a good sleep at home."

"I'm fine... I'll drive."

"You sure?"

"VERY sure."

"Okay, if you say so."

They drove off and was heading home when Jiyong saw a bar on their way. He maneuvered the car to the parking area of the bar and stepped out without saying anything to Dara.

Dara quickly got out of the car and ran after him. She stopped in front of him and placed her hands on her waist.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"I just wanna drink a little to help me sleep."

"Aahh... Thanks for informing me about that and leaving me inside the car."

"Oh! Sorry I forgot about you... My mind's just floating around and I didn't think you were there because you were so quiet."

"Now I became a ghost to you... Poor Dara." She faked a frown and slumped her shoulders.

Jiyong chuckled at her facial expression. "Sorry... Let me just have some drinks then we'll go home."

"Just few? You promise?"

Jiyong nodded.

Dara held her pinky finger high to seal the promise Jiyong has given. Jiyong hooked his pinky finger to hers and sealed it by stamping their thumbs together.

"Now can I pass through and have a drink?" He asked.

"Sure... You're the boss." She said, side stepped, bowed and gestured her arm to lead the way to the door that says 'ENTRANCE'.

He patted her head before entering the bar.