Chapter 44

Then You Came


"The paintings relay too much pain and sadness... Is the artist getting her inspiration from her own life experience?" Someone commented from behind.

Dara was busy making sure that all her paintings are securely placed on the wall. "I'm actually the..." she faced the person who gave the comment and was shocked to see who it was. "Seungri?" Her eyes widened.

"Surprise!!" He grinned.

"Seungri." Dara smiled and gave him a hug.

He looked around and was amazed on what he's seeing. "There are a lot of good artists in here." He commented.

"You're right... I'm scared my work's gonna be left out because of those wonderful pieces."

Seungri shook his head. "Yours is at par or even better than them."

"You're really good with words, Seungri."

He chuckled. "But I know someone who would appreciate your work even more."

Dara's expression changed.

"Aren't you gonna talk to him, Noona?" Seungri became serious.

She forced a smile. "I almost forgot. I have to talk to the event organizer about something... I'll get back quickly."

She was about to walk away when Seungri held her wrist and stopped her.

"We need to talk, Noona."

She faced him. "I can't."

"If not about hyung, at least allow me to talk to you about the twins."

Her eyebrows furrowed. "What about them?"

"Send me a message once you're done today. I can't discuss it with you here."

"You're making me nervous, Seungri."

"I'm sorry to make you worried... Don't think about it first. Focus on your exhibit. I'll see you later."

Dara nodded but still looked worried.

Seungri tapped per shoulder and slowly walked away, making sure to look at other art pieces that he passes by.

************

"Dinner?" Jaejoong asked.

Dara was busy clearing things at the station that was given to her.

"I have to see someone, Jaejoong." She replied after placing her knapsack on her back.

"Him?"

"Jiyong?"

He nodded.

She shook her head.

"I see."

"Thanks for the offer, Jae... I have to go."

"You take care."

"Thanks." She smiled. "Try the Kebab Restaurant near our hotel... You'll love it." She suggested.

"Will do... I was looking for something new to eat... Kebab sounds like a plan."

"I'm sorry I have to leave first."

"No, it's okay."

"Be safe... Got to go."

He half raised his hand and waved it at her.

She waved back then jogged out of the event area.

***********

Dara saw Seungri waiting outside of the event hall.

She ran towards him for her not to waste any more time. "Have I kept you waiting?"

Seungri smiled after he saw her. "I've only been here for a few minutes... Let's have dinner?"

"I was about to ask you that."

"I've made a reservation in a restaurant near here... Shall we?"

She nodded. "Where to?"

"This way." He extended his arms, showing the way. "It's just across this block." He started walking while Dara walked beside him.

They got to the restaurant and they were led to a private room that Seungri reserved. Being a gentleman, he pulled the chair to let her sit before he sat down on the seat that's adjacent to hers.

They were given a glass of tea as starter. It was an authentic Japanese restaurant that's best for their sashimi.

Seungri took a sip and played with the rim of his glass after placing it down. "They're not doing okay, Noona." He was serious. Too serious it made Dara nervous again.

She stared at him, anticipating what he has to say next.

"The twins' mother appeared... and she's demanding to get custody over the kids." He related without looking at her.

"What?!" Dara exclaimed.

"You heard it right, Noona."

"How are they? The twins?... Jiyong?" Her voice lowered while saying Jiyong's name.

"Kim and Tim still doesn't know about it... Hyung's doing his best to block any means of communication the twins' mother can use in reaching them."

"He probably is having a hard time right now." She whispered to herself but it was loud enough for Seungri to hear it.

"He needs you now, Noona."

Dara stared at nothing, trying to contemplate on what Seungri said.

"Hyung may act strong... He doesn't complain about anything... He even opted on keeping the problem to himself... But deep inside, he's slowly breaking down."

"How did you know?"

"We visited the other day... We noticed the tight security around the mansion... We ended up making Hyung admit the issue."

With elbows on the table, Dara clasped her hands together and placed her forehead on it.

"Can't you set aside your misunderstanding with Hyung and go back home?" Seungri asked.

"Seungri..." she can't find words to say.

"Noona, I don't know why you're being like this... but I know you're not being like this for no reason."

Dara took a deep breath and sighed.

"What happened, Noona?"

"Seungri, your Hyung and I can't go back to the way we are before I left."

"Is it because of Kiko Noona?"

"I can't say anything anymore." She bit her lower lip.

"Hyung loves you."

She forced a smile.

"He loves you, Noona. He can't lose you."

"The exhibit will end tomorrow... I just need to finish that and I promise I'll be home immediately."

A smile formed on Seungri's face.

"Seungri..."

"Yes, Noona?"

"Don't tell Jiyong I'll be coming back."

"Why?"

"Just don't... Please."

"Are you going to surprise him?" A big smile was plastered on his face.

"I'm coming back because I wanted to help... not because of anything else."

"Noona..." He looked confused.

"Seungri... If you haven't informed me of what's happening... I wasn't..." She wasn't able to continue.

Having a hint of what she was about to say, he tried to finish her sentence. "You weren't coming back?"

She played with her fingers. "I was given an offer to work here... and I accepted it."

"Noona?"

"I have to do this, Seungri... for myself, at least." A tear dropped on her hand that's on her lap. She wiped her cheek.

A server interrupted their conversation. "The sashimi set is ready, Sir."

Seungri nodded and let them place the food on the table.

After the food was served, Seungri stood up and sat beside Dara. He held her hand that's on her lap and squeezed it. "Noona, tell me what's wrong." He spoke.

Her shoulders shook and tears rushed down from her eyes. Memories of the night she heard Jiyong spoke words that killed her heart came back. "I can't... I just can't." She pressed her face on her palms and sobbed.

Seungri pulled her head on his shoulder and rubbed her arm. "I won't force you, Noona. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, Seungri... I wanted to tell you but speaking about it feels like salt rubbed into my wound that's not yet healed."

"Sshh..." He rubbed her back and tried to calm her. "It's okay, Noona. I'm not forcing you to tell me anything. If you can't tell me, it's alright."

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry." She continued apologizing.

"Sshh..." He hushed her.

Both of them weren't able to eat anymore. Seungri decided to just bring her home to allow her to rest.

"Noona, I'll take the flight with you back home." Seungri said after reaching the hotel where Dara was staying.

Dara nodded weakly.

"Take a rest... Eventually, everything will be okay."

"I hope so." She forced a smile. "I'm sorry I ruined our dinner... Do you want to come in for a cup of coffee?"

He shook his head. "You have to rest, Noona. You still have to go back to the exhibit tomorrow."

"Thanks, Seungri."

He rubbed his nape and chuckled. "If only I can fix things between you and hyung, I'll do it."

She touched his cheek and smiled while sadness was still visible in her eyes. "There are things that we need to let go, Seungri... No matter how it hurts... But I promise you I'll stay by the kids side until everything's settled."

"Noona..."

"It's getting late... I'll go back to my room now. You take care, okay?"

"No more crying tonight?" He sounded worried.

"I'll try." She bit her lower lips.

"Okay... Good night, Noona."

"Goodnight." She replied, turned around and headed inside the hotel towards the elevator without looking back.

Seungri followed her with his gaze.

************

"Chae, it's not just because of that heated conversation... There's something else." Seungri was on the phone with her sister on the other line. "Noona cried... She can't even talk about it."

"What should we do now?"

"Noona will still be going back home with me a day after tomorrow."

"Really."

"Yes... She wanted to be with the kids... But if I haven't been here to talk to her, she probably won't be coming back any time soon."

...silence...

"This is really hard, Chae."

Still, no response from his twin sister.

"Chae?"

"Oh my... No, no... This couldn't be happening." Chaerin said hysterically.

"What's wrong?"

"No... I need to call, Oppa... Why is this happening?"

"Hey, Chae... Talk to me... What is it?"

"It's about the news, Seungri... She did it... She's out?"

"What? Who? What's in the news?" Seungri asked, confused of what his sister was talking about.

"Tim and Kim's mom. The news says she came out and spoke about fighting for her right as the mother of the kids."

"What?!"

"I need to go to the mansion right now... I just saw the news. This probably came out earlier this morning. I didn't know about this."

"But hyung told that woman not to let media know about this, right?... What if the kids learn about it?"

"I need to check on them... I'll call you later."

"Call me as soon as you see the kids and hyung, okay?"

"I will."

"Are you gonna drive?"

"No... I'm just gonna take my bicycle."

"Be safe, okay?"

"Yes... Call you later."

Then she hang up.

************

"Nana Jade, where's Oppa?"

Chaerin happened to pass by the old lady outside of the mansion.

"He's inside his work room... You also heard about the news?" Nana Jade replied, looking worried about what's happening.

Chaerin nodded. "And the kids?"

"They're sleeping now."

"Do they know about it now?"

The old lady shook her head.

"That's good." Chaerin released a sigh of relief. "I need to talk to Oppa."

"Okay."

Chaerin was about to get inside the house when Nana Jade said something.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, sweetie."

"What is it?"

"Kiko's in there with your Oppa."

"Huh? Why?"

"I don't know... She was here since late this afternoon. She was with your Oppa when he came back from the office."

"Okay?" Chaerin tried to keep her composure. "Thank you for letting me know, Nana Jade."

"Tell your Oppa to call me at the maid's quarter if he needs anything. I just need to give instructions to our helpers."

"I will." Chaerin replied and walked towards the house to her Oppa's room.

************

"I don't wanna lose the kids... Not them. I've already lost mom and dad... then Darius... I'm not letting go of them."

"I know you needed someone beside you, Jiyong. That's why as soon as I heard about the news, I left work and drove to your office."

Kiko was behind Jiyong, holding his shoulder while he was standing in front of his mini bar, his hands were gripping the side of the table while his head was facing down.

Chaerin opened the door only a few inches, enough to hear their conversation.

She decided to stepped in to interrupt their conversation.

"Oppa." She called and rushed towards her cousin.

"Chae..." Jiyong said after raising his head.

Kiko stepped backwards after seeing Chaerin.

"I'm sorry... I only heard about the news a few minutes ago." Chae said and gave her Oppa a hug.

"She did it, Chae... She said she won't."

She gently pushed Jiyong away and rubbed his arm. "I think we need to let the twins know about it... That way they can get an explanation about what's happening."

"No! We can't! They shouldn't know about her... What if they choose her instead of me?... What if they decided not to stay?" Jiyong panicked.

"Oppa, listen... Unnie's gonna be here a day after tomorrow... She can talk to the kids about this. They'll listen to her."

"Dara?" Jiyong expression changed, showing a glint of hope.

Chaerin smiled and nodded. "She's coming back."

"You hear that, Kiko?" Jiyong chuckled. "Dara's coming back." His weary eyes smiled in excitement.

Kiko smiled back. "You'll feel better once she's here."

"Thank you for taking care of Oppa." Chaerin told her.

"It's the only help I can give... He needs to rest."

"Kiko Unnie's right, Oppa... Try getting some sleep. You need to be well to overcome this."

"Chae... Tim and Kim." He looked worried once again.

"I know... But everything will be okay. Trust me... Unnie's gonna be here. She'll help us."

"Listen to Chaerin, Jiyong. You need rest. And you need a lot of that. You don't want Dara to see you in that state, do you?"

He shook his head.

"Rest now, Oppa."

"I'll bring both of you home first."

"I'll ask one of the drivers to drive me and Kiko Unnie home... We'll both be fine."

"You sure?"

"We're sure... You go ahead and walk to your room so you can sleep." Chaerin made him turn and pushed him by his shoulders until they reached the door. She turned her attention to Kiko before going out. "Unnie, I'll just make sure Oppa gets to lie down on his bed before we leave."

"Sure... I'll stay here and wait."

Chaerin and Jiyong left the room while Kiko sat on the couch while waiting for the former to come back.