Chapter 5

Then You Came

It's been almost a month since Dara started taking care of Tim and Kim and everything's doing fine so far. There are times when Jiyong would show his moody side but Dara's getting used to it.

Jiyong on the other hand feels relieved with Dara's presence since he knew Tim and Kim are in good hands.

***********

It's their typical morning, the kids and Jiyong we're having breakfast together while Dara's busy with fixing the kids snacks for school.

"Why don't you eat with us?" Jiyong asked.

"I already ate together with Nana Jade and Ajhussi Jisuk." Dara answered while making sure the kids uniform are still clean, wiping Kim and Tim's mouth with table napkin.

"Have you taken them to the doctor for their shots of vaccine?"

"Not yet... It's scheduled tomorrow... Aren't you coming with them?"

"I have a meeting tomorrow."

"It's Saturday tomorrow... And it's scheduled in the morning. Can't you give the kids a little of your time?"

"I'll check my sched."

"Please be with us tomorrow, Papa. Vaccine hurts. I might cry hard." Kim looked at him with puppy eyes.

"You should go... or else Kim might throw tantrums again just like what she did when she asked you to allow her to call me Mama." She whispered and smiled at him meaningfully.

"I'll check my schedule baby... I'll really try my best to go with you."

"But Papa... You always say you'll try but then nothing happens." Kim frowned.

"Kim, Papa said he'll try... Ajhumma will be there anyway." Tim told her sister.

"There you go with Tim's conscience-triggering words." Dara whispered again.

"Are you an evil voice behind me?" Jiyong chuckled.

She shrugged. "I think it's working." She said and grinned.

"Fine... I'll go tomorrow... What time should it be?" He surrendered.

"9 in the morning."

Dara gave a thumbs up towards the kids while she was behind Jiyong.

"And you really think I can't see you when your image is reflected on the glass cabinet?" Jiyong shook his head.

"You saw it?" Dara scratched her head.

"Clearly." Jiyong chuckled and the kids laughed, too.

"Okay, okay... You guys finish laughing at me?... Coz if not, I'm reminding you that you only have an hour before your class starts." Dara acted annoyed, trying to stop a smile from forming on her lips.

"Come on kids... Dara Ajhumma's starting to become grumpy now so you better hurry." Jiyong teased.

"Finish your milk Kim." Dara told the little girl.

She obeyed and drank the milk in her glass.

"You ready?" She asked the kids and they nodded as a response.

"Kiss Papa now." Dara said.

Tim kissed Jiyong on his cheek while Kim gave her a tight hug after she kissed him.

"Promise you'll be there tomorrow?" She asked.

"I promise... I'll be there to hold you." Jiyong smiled.

"See you tomorrow, Papa." Tim said.

Kim kissed her one last time and held Dara's hand.

"Take care." Jiyong waved his hand.

He was left alone in the dining area.

"Jiyong, your coffee." Nana Jade handed him her tumbler.

"Thanks Nana."

Quit frowning...
It makes you look older.

A note was sticking under the tumbler.

"As usual... A note to start your day at work." He smiled and stood up to leave and drive to his office.

***********

"Good morning Kim and Tim... Wake up now. We need to prepare for your visit to the doctor." Dara said, caressing Kim's hair and smiling sweetly at Tim.

"Where's Papa?" Kim said in her sleepy voice.

"He's waiting for you downstairs... So you should both fix yourselves because your Papa doesn't want to wait for so long... He might change his mind."

Kim sat up quickly and rubbed her eyes.

Tim did the same and yawned.

"Mama, can I have pancakes for breakfast?" Kim requested.

"I knew you'd ask that so I prepared it earlier... And you young lad, what do you want for breakfast?" She pinched his cheek.

"I want pancake with strawberries." He replied.

"We won't be able to do the pancake together anymore because I've already cooked it but you get to design your own pancake... How does that sound?"

"Exciting..." Kim raised her hand.

"Okay... so let's get going so we can design your pancakes... Who wants to take a bath first?"

"Me... me." Kim answered.

"How about you Tim? Do you want to take a bath alone?"

Tim nodded.

"Okay... I'll just help Kim then you can take a bath alone."

Tim showed his thumbs-up.

Dara smiled in satisfaction.

She finished fixing the kids and preparing their backpacks with clothes to change and small towels to dry their sweat.

They went down and started making their pancakes while Jiyong was silently watching them.

After finishing breakfast, they head towards Jiyong's car to leave.

"I might not be able to bring you guys home coz I need to be in the office before 2PM... Ajhussi Jisuk will be in there to drive you home instead." Jiyong said while driving.

"Papa, can we go to the ice cream shop after?" Tim asked.

"Okay... But do not eat too much sweets there."

"Yehey!! Chocolate ice cream." Kim said excitedly.

"A little cup of ice cream should be enough... Don't let them have too much, okay?" He reminded Dara.

Dara did an okay gesture with her hand.

They got to the hospital and Kim started to have heavy footsteps.

"Would you like me to carry you, Kim?" Dara asked.

"I'm scared." She said.

"Don't be baby... Papa's here." Jiyong said and scooped her in his arms. "Look at Tim... he's brave."

"Don't be scared Kim. It will only feel like an ant bite." Tim encouraged his sister.

Dara ruffled his hair and smiled. "Tim's now a big boy."

They got in and waited for their turn.

"Mr. Kwon, this is the first time I've seen you with these kids." The doctor commented.

"Kim forced me to go with them." He smiled.

"New Nanny?"

Jiyong nodded.

"Last time the kids visited, they don't even want to get inside my clinic... What have you done to change their minds?"

"I got a great Nanny over here." Jiyong looked at Dara.

"Then make sure not let her go." The Doctor said while preparing the vaccines for the kids.

"Who wants to go first?" The doctor asked.

"Tim, show Kim that it doesn't hurt much... Do you want to go first?" Dara whispered to the little boy.

"Can you hold my hand Ajhumma?"

"Of course... Do you want to sit on my lap?"

Tim nodded.

Dara hugged Tim while the Doctor's injecting the needle in his arm.

"Done." Doctor said and placed a cotton ball on top of where he pricked the needle.

"Good job Tim... High five." Dara said and Tim raised his hand to meet her palm.

"It's your turn now Kim." Jiyong told the little girl.

She closed her eyes tightly and hugged him.

The doctor did the same and in no time, he was also done vaccinating Kim.

Kim got shocked with the prick of the needle, causing her to cry.

Jiyong stood up and swayed her while her head was rested on his shoulder.

"Papa, it hurts.. Aaahh.." She continued crying.

Dara asked Tim to sit while she tried to help Jiyong pacify Kim.

"Hey, Kim... you're as brave as Tim, right?... Tim Oppa's not crying."

"But it really hurts... Huhuhu..." Kim won't stop.

"Let me carry her." Dara whispered to Jiyong.

He carefully gave Kim to her.

"Do you want some candy?" The doctor offered.

Kim shook her head and sobbed.

Dara sat beside Tim and gently pushed Kim for her to be able to wipe her tears.

"Kim was also brave in receiving the vaccine." Dara told her while drying her tears. "Look at your arm... It's stronger now just like Tim Oppa... Tim, show her your muscles."

Tim obliged.

"Look... How about you? Where's your muscle?"

Kim showed Dara her muscle while her lips are still pouted.

"Waahh!! Strong muscles... Very good... Kim's also brave. Right Tim?"

"Yes... very brave. Just like me." Tim gave his sister a thumbs up.

Jiyong smiled at the sight. He didn't think bringing the kids to the doctor would be fun.

He was scared to do it before because he might not be able to stand the kids crying. It's a good think he has Dara to make sure the kids are okay.

"Jiyong, look at the time... You might be late for your meeting." Dara said, pulling him away from his thoughts.

"Oh, I forgot... Thanks Doctor Baek for the service... We have to go."

"Be sure to bring them back next month for their scheduled dental check up with Dr. Yoo."

"Yes Doctor." Dara replied.

"Take care." The doctor said.

"Say thank you and good bye to Doctor Baek." Dara instructed the kids.

"Thank you Dr. Baek." The kids said in unison and waved at the doctor.

"Your Welcome. See you next time."

"Neh." The kids answered.

***********

"What if I bring you home first?" Jiyong offered after they got out of the hospital.

"We can manage... I promised them we'll go to an ice cream shop after their vaccination, right?"

"Let me drive you there instead... Then I'll call Ajhussi Jisuk to meet you there."

"Sounds like a good idea."

"Ice cream... Weee!!" Kim sounded excited.

"You did a great job back there." Jiyong told Dara, pertaining to how she handled the crying Kim.

"That's normal scenario in the orphanage... You get used to it when you have 15 kids to take care of." Dara smiled.

"That's talent." He patted her shoulder.

"Possibly." Dara replied. "Let's get going so you won't be late for the meeting."

She walked past Jiyong and raced with the kids towards the car.

Jiyong's starting to feel lesser burden with Dara around.

He unconsciously smiled while looking at the kids with their Ajhumma Dara.