Chapter 42

Then You Came


"..and you know what Mama, teacher said Tim and I get to participate during the school's graduation day... I'll be singing the school's hymn while Tim has a dance number."

Jiyong can hear Kim while she excitedly told stories about their day in school. They're probably talking to Dara in a video chat.

"I'm so excited to see you both perform on stage."

"Mama?"

"Hmm?"

"You're crying again." It was Tim.

"I'm sorry baby... I just wanna see you both right now."

"Don't cry, Mama." Kim's voice changed.

"I'm sorry baby... Mama's just tired and I'm missing you badly."

Jiyong didn't waste any more time. He wanted to see Dara, too. He stepped inside the playroom.

"Papa." The twins ran towards him and gave him a hug.

He guided the twins back to the couch that's right in front of the laptop that their using in talking to their Mama.

He saw Dara immediately wiped her tears after seeing him.

"How are you?" He asked awkwardly, Kim on his lap while Tim's arms were placed on his other thigh.

"Just fine." She forced a smile.

It was a surprise for her to see him while talking to the kids.

Just seeing Jiyong made her eyes water again. She looked up the ceiling and held the bridge of her nose.

"Can I talk to you?"

"Jiyong..." She was about to say she can't but got interrupted when she heard Jiyong called the twins' Nannies.

"Lily, Anne, please bring the kids to their room now." Jiyong commanded.

"Papa..." Kim and Tim complained.

"Mama and I need to talk... Say goodnight to her."

"Are we gonna talk to her again tomorrow?"

"Yes, baby. You'll be able to talk to Mama again."

Tim nodded to her sister. "Goodnight, Mama."

Kim pouted.

"Say good night to Mama, Kim." Tim said in a strict voice.

"Owkey." She crossed her arms on her chest but changed her expression while facing Dara. She was all smile while waving her hand. "Good night, Mama... I love you."

Tim also peeped back at the monitor and gave her a flying kiss. "Talk to you again tomorrow, Mama. We love you."

"I love you both. Sweet dreams and sleep tight." She smiled a little.

Jiyong stood up and walked the twins to the door before sitting back at the couch, in front of the laptop monitor.

Dara played with her fingers and looked down. She couldn't look at Jiyong. It reminds her of the pain.

"Dara, I'm sorry if I walked out during our conversation back there in Japan... I really just got jealous after seeing you with that guy."

Dara quickly wiped the tears that escaped her eyes. She was sniffing.

"Dara, please talk to me." He pleaded.

She raised her head and Jiyong saw her cheeks that were drenched in her tears.

"I'm sorry... I'm really sorry." He apologized.

"I'm fine, Ji." She said, biting her lower lip. "I'll be fine... I have to be fine."

"Hey, please don't cry... I can't stand seeing you crying like that... I'm sorry for what I've done, Dara."

Dara's shoulders started to shudder and she had to press her face on her palm to cover her tears.

"Let's talk about this... Remember you told me we shouldn't let a day pass without making up, right?"

Dara shook her head. "I'm sorry, Ji... I can't do this... Let's stop the pretense anymore... I get it now. I'm sorry, I have to go." She was shaking her head while a river of tears was flowing down her cheeks.

Then she was gone.

Jiyong was left dumbfounded.

'What has caused her to be like this? I need to clear this up.' He thought.

************

"Please answer the call, Daesung... I need to talk to you."

Jiyong has dialed Daesung's number multiple times but he wouldn't answer.

"Ah! Youngbae." He thought.

He contacted Youngbae's number to see if he's with Daesung.

"Hey, man."

"Thank God I was able to contact you." Jiyong heaved a sigh of relief.

"What's up?"

"Is Daesung with you right now?"

"No... He's at school, I believe. He doesn't have a schedule at the studio today."

"What time do you think will he be out from school?"

"I'm not sure. Why not call him?"

"I tried. But he's not picking up."

"He's probably in class right now. Call him again after lunch. Or better yet, visit their school during their lunch break."

"I think that's what I'll do."

"Is it something important?"

"It's very important, Youngbae."

"I see... About Dara?"

He took a deep breath. "Yes... and it's urgent."

"You sound like there's a problem."

"We actually have."

"Big one?"

"We had a fight... and Dara's not talking to me."

"You fought with her?" Youngbae's voice raised a little.

"It was a little misunderstanding. I'm not sure why she's making it a big deal."

"Yah, Jiyong. Dara's not someone who'll just make a big deal out of nothing. She probably has her reason." He defended her.

"That's why I like to talk to Daesung. Dara doesn't want to talk to me. I can't clarify things with her."

"Want me to talk to Daesung?"

"No, man. I want to handle this my way... But thanks for the offer."

"You sure?"

"I'm sure."

"Stop making her cry, Jiyong."

"I'm trying... I'll talk to you later. I have a plan I need your help with."

"What is it?"

"I'll let you know soon... I just need to fix things with Dara first."

"Okay."

"Thanks, Youngbae. Talk to you later."

"Yes... You take care."

"You, too. Bye."

*************

Jiyong parked the car outside of Daesung and Minzy's school. It's the end of classes for the day and he's sure he'll be able to see both of them come out of the main gate in a few minutes.

He stepped out of the car and leaned on its door while his arms were crossed on his chest. He kept his focus on the school's main gate.

After almost 30 minutes of waiting, Jiyong saw Minzy and Daesung walking together. He waved his hand to them while calling their names.

"Hey... I was trying to call you earlier, Daesung. I guess you were in class that time." He smiled at them.

The two changed their expressions after seeing Jiyong. They didn't look like they were happy to see him.

"We're in a hurry, Oppa... Sorry, we have to leave." Minzy told him while looking at Daesung who's hands were balled into fist.

She didn't want her brother to hurt anyone. She pulled Daesung and walked past Jiyong.

"Minzy, Daesung, wait... Talk to me." He jogged towards the two and held them by their arms to stop them.

Daesung forcefully removed his hand from his arm.

"Daesung, don't do anything foolish." Minzy restrained her brother.

"Stop following us, Hyung... I don't want to lose the remaining respect I have for you." Daesung told him.

"You know ssomething right? You know why Dara won't talk to me."

"Oppa, just leave Unnie alone." Minzy said.

"I can't Minzy... I love her. And I can't stand it that days are passing without us fixing this misunderstanding."

Daesung pushed him by the shoulder. "Stop pretending! Stop saying things you don't mean!" His jaws tightened.

"Yah, Daesung. We made a promise to Unnie." She reminded him.

"Minzy, what's wrong... Tell me. Please... I'm really confused... I thought it's just a little misunderstanding."

"Go away and leave Noona alone... You think you can use all your money to play with people like us?"

"Daesung... Let me understand so I can explain my side. I really don't know why you're giving me this kind of treatment."

Daesung chuckled bitterly and was about to hit Jiyong in the face but Minzy stopped him. She pulled down his arm that's raised in the air and ready to give Jiyong his hardest punch.

"Oppa, just leave... I'm sorry but we won't tell you anything... I don't want my brother to hurt you and be reprimanded because of his actions..
I beg you. Just leave."

Daesung faced back, placed his hands on his waist and looked up the sky. He breathe in and out a few times to manage his anger.

"Whatever it is you think I've done wrong, I apologize... I hope you can give me the chance to explain myself... I'll take my leave but I won't stop trying until we can talk and clear things out."

He walked away, got inside his car and drove off.

************

"Dae, you think we should give Oppa a chance to explain?"

They were walking home and Minzy was bothered by Jiyong's last words.

"Yah, Minzy! What do we need his explanation for? It was Noona who heard his conversation with that model. Do you want him to hurt Noona again?"

"Didn't you see Oppa's expression? It's as if he's also having a hard time."

"Hard time?... You're kidding, right?"

"He won't take the effort to look for us and try to talk if Dara Unnie's just nothing to her."

"He's acting, Minzy... A-C-T-I-N-G."

"But, Dae..."

"Are you taking his side?"

"Of course not."

"Then stop thinking about it... He hurt Dara Noona. End of story."

"I just think something's not right."

"Stop watching CSI... It's affecting you badly."

"Should we talk to Unnie to tell her Jiyong Oppa went to see us?"

"What for?... Don't tell Noona. We shouldn't be talking to her about Jiyong Hyung anymore."

"Dae..."

"Stop arguing."

"Isshh!" She hissed while stomping her foot.

"Don't give me that attitude. We shouldn't give Dara Noona any reason to be sad anymore. That's why we need to help her forget about Jiyong Hyung."

"I'm not sure that's the best thing to do."

"It is."

"It's not."

"It is."

"I won't argue anymore... You won't listen, anyway."

"Are we also gonna fight about this?" Daesung asked.

"I'm sorry." Minzy surrendered.

"Let's get inside so we can change clothes. We still have to prepare for dinner."

"Okay." She answered.

She let his brother get in first while she followed behind.

'I need to talk to Oppa again... My gut feeling says something's not right.' Minzy thought to herself.