Chapter 17

Then You Came

"Is there anything I can help you with, Kiko?" Bom asked while they're having a cup of coffee in her office.

"Why the formality, Bom? Have I been away that long? " Kiko asked back.

"Sorry... I'm probably just not used to seeing you like that."

"Like what?"

"You just look very different from the Kiko we've known before." Bom smiled at her.

"This is still me."

"I know... The Kiko who would always dream big." Bom told her. "We've missed you a lot... So much we were hurt you never remembered letting us know about how you're doing when you got to the States... We could have visited if you stayed in touch."

"Sorry if I made all of you worried."

"Aaahh... That's all in the past... We're all friends anyway... I'm not just sure if it's gonna be the same to the person who was most hurt when you left... Jiyong." She sighed.

"That's why I came here... I want to know how he's doing... Our last conversation didn't end up well... He's still mad at me."

"He's doing okay... Keeping himself busy with work and the kids."

"I read about what happened to Darius Oppa in an article. I didn't know."

"He died more than a year ago... A year and a half if I'm not mistaken. Jiyong's now taking care of Oppa's twins."

"It probably has been devastating for Jiyong."

"He has to accept everything and go on with his life... That's why we're not stopping in making sure he's okay... SeungHyun makes it a point he visits him every ones in a while."

"He probably is with someone now."

"You're pertaining to the news that came out about him dating, right?... We're still not sure about that. If it's true, he would let us know... And how about you? You're with the son of the producer of your show, right? Taecyeon Ok."

"Ah, yes... We've been going out and getting to know each other." Kiko took her cup of coffee and sip from it.

"Do you still like Jiyong?" Bom was straightforward in asking the question.

"I still care about him."

"But your job is more important than him, right?"

"That's not it Bom."

"Kiko, I am a friend to both of you. I was really hoping for everything to be okay between you and Jiyong... It was okay for me if you don't end up being together again, but at least end up as friends... But after seeing you in the articles with that guy, it made me think... was Jiyong right to think you chose your career versus him?... Is that the case Kiko?"

"You know how much I yearned to be a model, Bom... And now that I'm on top of the game, I'm gonna do everything to keep my spot."

"Are you even in love with that Taecyeon guy?"

"I like him."

"Then that's good... I think."

"I hope you can all forgive me."

"We got hurt but we'll get past that. Everything's gonna be okay, Kiko... In the right time."

"Thanks Bom."

"Talk to Jiyong if you get the chance."

"I'll try... Thanks for having me. Call me if you need help... I can extend some help if you need some models for your shop promotion... I heard you'll be opening a new branch."

"I'll contact you if I would need help."

"I'll get going... I don't want to disturb you more. Thanks for the time."

"No prob." Bom replied. "Take care."

************

Hi.

Dara received a text message from an unknown number.

I think you got the wrong number.

She replied.

Sorry for not introducing myself. I'm your saviour. Remember that day you can't get into the bar?

Oh, yes. I remember. Youngbae Dong, right?

Yes. Glad you remembered... But I wasn't able to get your name. You were preoccupied with something else that time.

Oh! Sorry. I was in a hurry finding Jiyong that night. Remember the bet?... Anyway, my name's Dara. Thanks for saving me.(⌒▽⌒)

Are you and Jiyong dating?

Huh? Why did you say so?

Pictures of both of you having dinner at a known restaurant were all over the internet. They're dying to find out who you are. Don't you know?

"Really?! Oh my! It might be too embarrassing for Jiyong. We should have been more careful. It's all my fault." She panicked.

That was just a friendly dinner.

She explained.

So you're not dating?

No, we're not.

That's good news.

Good news?

She asked to avoid thinking it's an insult.

I still have a chance.

Chance?

Nevermind... Is there a chance we can meet again?

For what?

I have something to give you.

What is it?

It's something important.

"Did I leave something that night? Aaahh! Was I clumsy that night that I dropped something?" She was boggled by thinking what it could be.

Can you tell me what that is?

I can't. It's a secret. You'll know upon meeting me.

Is it really that important?

Very important.

"Aish! I think I should see him. My mind won't be at peace... Fine, fine... I'll meet you." She nodded, talking to her phone.

Alright. I agree. Where should we meet?

Your choice.

"Should be somewhere with only few people." She thought aloud.

Hangang Park.

Ok... Tonight?

Can only go after 9PM.

That's okay with me.

Okay... Tonight, 9PM.

I can drop by where you'll be coming from so we can go there together.

No thanks... Let's just meet there.

Okay... See you tonight.

************

"Hi." Youngbae stood up upon seeing her.

Dara bowed a little to greet him.

"Sorry I made you wait." She said.

"No, it's okay. I haven't been here for too long... Let's have a seat." He offered.

"I brought fruit tea for you... I'm not sure if you're drinking coffee so I bought this instead... Have you had dinner?" He asked.

"I already did before coming... And you?"

"Haven't yet... But I'm fine."

"Sorry I asked you to meet here. This is the most uncrowded place I know at this hour."

"Scared of crowded places?"

"Not really... I just don't want to catch any more attention."

"There's quite a commotion in the internet after pictures of you and Jiyong went viral."

"Didn't know it would cause that commotion. If I have known earlier, I could have declined the offer."

"You're really not dating him, right?"

"We're not dating."

"Then you're free to date anyone else?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Just no."

"You have a boyfriend?"

"None."

"Then why?"

"Why are you so curious?"

"Coz I'm interested in you." He replied silencing the normal Dara who asks a lot.

"There's actually nothing important that I'm going to give you... I just want to see you again and I can't find any other reason that would make you agree." He admitted.

"You tricked me."

"I didn't want to... but I got no other choice. I needed to see you again... I'm sorry."

Dara stood up and was about to leave but Youngbae held her wrist to stop her.

"I'm not a bad guy Dara... I can prove you that I have good intentions... Just allow me to do that."

"You don't even know me."

"Does it matter?... I guess love at first sight may be true for me coz it's just what happened when I saw you during the reunion... and luckily, I've seen you again at my bar."

"Your bar?" Dara's forehead creased.

"I'm the owner of THE PLACE."

"That explains why it was that easy for you to bring me in that night although dress code was strictly implemented in there... You really tricked me."

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean it."

Dara gently removed Youngbae's grasped on her wrist and went back to sitting beside him.

"First it's Jiyong... Then now someone like you is telling me your feelings... Is my fairy godmother getting confused in creating my love story?" She whispered to herself but enough for Youngbae to hear.

"So Jiyong has confessed his feelings for you, too?" He looked down, picked piece of stone and played with it.

"You heard what I said?" Dara covered in shock.

"You were thinking out loud." Youngbae chuckled.

"Was I?"

Youngbae nodded and sipped the iced coffee from his glass.

"I guess I'm late again... It's always Jiyong who wins in the end."

"Again?... What do you mean?"

"Jiyong and I were good friends in elementary... it all ended when we became rivals... We fell in love with the same girl back in highschool... Kiko... And it's happening again. I guess I'm really nothing compared to him."

"Sorry to hear that Youngbae... I didn't know you have that history with Jiyong."

"It's fine."

"Youngbae, you might not really like me. There are other girls better than me who would deserve that attention."

"Are you saying that because you like Jiyong?... and I don't stand a chance?"

Dara shook her head. "I like Jiyong... Yes, that's true... But it's not because of that... Someone like me neither deserve your attention nor his. I'm a nobody compared to the people you meet everyday, be it through social gathering or even just through common friends."

"Are you belittling yourself?"

"I'm stating a fact."

"It's not something that can change my mind."

"We can be friends instead."

"A cruel way to reject a guy."

"I'm serious."

"I'll be fine with that... for now."

"Friends?"

"I'm still serious with my feelings Dara."

She took a deep breath.

"Am I being difficult?" He chuckled.

"A little." She smiled.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"For deciding to be friends with me... At least you didn't say you don't want to see me again... I'm happy with that."

"You're funny."

"Really?"

Dara smacked his arm.

"I can still send you messages and ask you out, right?"

"Aaahh..." She acted like she was thinking.

He looked at him with his puppy eyes.

"Fine."

"Yes!!" He his elbow in the air.

"There's one thing I have to tell you... And I hope you keep this as our little secret."

"What is it?"

"I work for Jiyong... I babysit his brother's twins."

"You live with him?"

"Well, yes... But not with him as in live with HIM alone... I stay at the Kwon's mansion."

"Then that gives Jiyong a better advantage." He gave him a long face.

"I thought we're clear with it... We're friends, right?"

"Friends?"

"Yes... F-R-I-E-N-D-S... Friends."

"Okay, okay."

"Why do I feel at ease talking to you?" She smiled at him. "I don't even know you well but I feel like we're so close already."

"That won't be enough to make me feel better."

Dara gave him a quick hug, tapped his back and pulled away.

"Are we good?"

"Better." A smile formed on his lips.

"My friend Youngbae." She crinkled her nose and smiled.

'Don't do that or I might fall harder.' He told himself.