Chapter 15

Then You Came

Dara walked down the stairs while her knees were wobbly.

She didn't expect Jiyong to do that.

Receiving a hug from him was too much to take in for her. It's just surreal.

But she tried to show that she's calm as much as possible.

When she got inside her room, she threw herself on her bed and covered her head with a pillow and squealed.

She sat up abruptly, pursed her lips while breathing in and out continuously.

"Calm yourself Dara. It's just he's way to say thank you... It's normal for socialites to act that way without meaning anything... It's totally not what you're thinking."

She laid down and flapped her feet.

"Let's consider this as one of those lovely dreams while you sleep... Go to bed now Dara." She smiled and remembered Jiyong's face before closing her eyes.

***********

"Unnie, someone sent a package for you." Minzy called while Dara was inside the kitchen cooking lunch for the whole family.

"Who's that from?" She asked Minzy who took the box where she's at.

"I don't know... Let's open it for you to know."

She washed her hand and carefully opened the box to see what's inside.

They were both in awe after seeing a beautiful single sleeved black cocktail dress and a pair of silver stiletto heels inside the box.

"Read the letter Unnie." Minzy instructed.

"Who would send this type of gift?" Dara wondered.

Dara,

I was hoping we can have dinner tonight. Just the two of us.

I'll be there by 5PM.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Jiyong

"Eh? Jiyong Kwon has sent you this? As in, your boss? And he's asking you out for a date?" Minzy reacted after reading the letter that goes with the package.

"No, no, no... It can't be a date. Probably another thank you gesture for taking care of the kids." Dara denied the thought not only to Minzy but also to herself.

"I don't see it as that way... A beautiful dress plus a pair of pretty shoes to wear... then an invitation to go out for dinner. What else could it be?"

"He has weird stuff going on in his head Minzy. He's very extravagant when it comes to being thankful."

"So you're coming with him?"

"Should I?" She was thinking twice.

"You said it's just a friendly dinner... It's an opportunity you can't miss. A dinner in a fancy restaurant with the most wanted bachelor in town... Who would say no to that."

"I'm nervous."

"Tell me Unnie... Are you starting to like your boss?"

Dara fiddled with her fingers.

"Be honest Unnie."

Dara pouted and nodded.

"Tsk! That's a problem Unnie. It only happens in movies that someone like Jiyong Kwon would like someone from our class... It's a big no-no."

"I know... and I'm not hoping for that to happen... I'm just admiring everything about him... I won't go beyond the line. I won't fall in love Minzy... I can't and I won't."

"For as long as you know where you stand, I guess it shouldn't be a problem." Minzy smiled.

"Aaahh!! Take those away first and let me finish preparing our lunch." She ordered Minzy.

"Unnie, let me do your make up for tonight, okay?"

"Okay... You'll be my saviour." She gave her a thumbs up.

"Let me put this box in your room."

"Ask Daesung to come and help you prepare the table."

"Alright." Minzy obeyed and went out of the kitchen.

*************

'Am I this desperate now? I'm not this type of person... but why did I decide to resort to this game just to have her back?... But there's no turning back now Jiyong. Let's handle the consequences when we get there.' Different thoughts battled in Jiyong's head.

He was on his way to the orphanage to see Dara and bring her to the venue where they're having dinner.

He chose a place where everyone would recognize him to make sure rumor about him dating would spread like a virus.

He had everything planned well.

***********

Dara felt very uneasy from the time she set foot at the hotel until they reached the restaurant where they'll be having dinner.

Every person they happened to pass by were all eyes on them. She would sometimes see them whispering words to each other.

'Calm down Dara. Everything's gonna be okay.' She told herself and held Jiyong's arm where hers was clinging tighter.

"Are you okay?" Jiyong asked.

She forced a smile and answered. "Yes, I'm fine... Just not use to this kind of place."

Jiyong removed her arm that's clinging to his and held her hand.

"Feeling better?"

Dara shook her head. "It's making me more nervous."

Jiyong chuckled at her reply.

He squeezed her hand and smiled at her.

"We're almost there." He said.

************

They reached the restaurant in what felt like forever for Dara.

An attendant led them to their table.

Jiyong acted like a gentleman and moved the chair for her.

"You look pretty tonight." Jiyong told her while they were eating.

"This is only for tonight." She crinkled her nose.

"Don't get me wrong... You look pretty even if you wear your ajhumma clothes. You're just extra prettier today." He gave her a teasing smile.

"Don't say that in this kind of place coz I might believe you... HAHAHA." She made a funny face.

"I'm not kidding. You are pretty." He stared at her and made her blush.

"Yah! I bet you just also want to be complimented... Fine... Yes, you also look handsome tonight. You actually look handsome in whatever you do, in whatever you wear. You even look handsome when you sleep." She spoke continuously. Something she does when she's nervous.

A smile formed on Jiyong's lips. "So you stare at me when I'm sleeping?"

"Ah... No... Ah... Yes. No... Not really. How should I say it? I saw you sleeping when you got drunk, right? Yes... That's when I saw you sleeping... Well, everyone would say you really are handsome. That's already a given." She stammered while finding the words to explain.

"You are cute when your nervous."

"Who said I'm nervous? I'm not nervous. Do I look nervous?"

"Look at how you hold your knife and fork... You're holding it tight, you're knuckles are all white." He chuckled.

"Yah! I'm not nervous. I'm just not used to using these utensils... I'm more familiar with spoon and fork." She stuck her tongue out.

"Silly." He commented.

"I'm really curious as to why you're having dinner with me in this kind of place. Is this another thank you gesture?" Dara looked at him to wait for his reply.

Jiyong took a deep breath and looked at her in her eyes.

"It's actually more than that." He said.

"Aah... You're gonna ask a favor, right?"

He shook his head.

"Then what?"

"I think I'm beginning to like you."

"Stop kidding Jiyong... It's not funny." She chuckled.

"I'm serious." He stayed looking at her in her eyes.

Dara felt he was being honest with his words, she looked away. She can't handle what's happening.

"I'm telling you Dara... I like you."

"I heard you... But it's so unreal... I mean, how come? You were just telling me you think you still love Kiko then now you're saying you like me... Why?"

"I will be honest, I still have thoughts of Kiko... but a feeling towards you is growing inside of me. I just felt I have to let you know."

"It's just fondness."

"I thought it was, too. But it's changing day by day."

"I'm dumbfounded with all these words you're saying Jiyong."

Jiyong held Dara's hand that's on the table and spoke. "I'm not forcing you to feel the same way... I just don't want you to be shocked if I would show you how I feel in the days to come."

"Who wouldn't fall for you Jiyong?"

"There are people who would only like me because of what I have."

"And you think I'm different?"

"You are different... You're not like them."

"You can't be too sure of that."

"What I'm sure about is how you love the twins... You love them dearly... And I'm hoping I can receive that same affection in time."

"I care for you Jiyong... I do... I just don't know if it's right for you to like someone like me."

"It's me who'll decide who to like."

Dara took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

'Am I dreaming? Wake me up from this dream if it is coz I feel like I'm drowning from too much happiness. This is not right.' She thought.

"Jiyong, can we leave now?" She told him.

"You haven't finished your...."

"I just want to go home."

"Alright." He helped her with her chair and walked with her hand in hand.

*************

"I'll go to my room now." Dara said when they got inside the mansion.

Jiyong held her by the arm to stop her.

"Don't think too much... I don't want to pressure you, okay?"

Dara's shoulder started to shake.

"Are you crying?" Jiyong asked, worried.

He walked in front of her and lift her chin to see her face. He tucked the hair that's covering her face behind her ears.

He felt a prick in his heart.

'Am I causing her tears?... Should I just stop this craziness?'

He wiped her tears with his thumb.

"I can't help it... I was stopping them from falling since we were in the restaurant. But I can't hold them any longer."

"I'm sorry." He hugged her.

She started to sob.

"I didn't expect to hear those words from you... It's like a dream I never want to wake up from... I cared a lot Jiyong... I never want to see you hurting... Every time you drown yourself with liquor I would think of gulping them all so you won't be able to drink them anymore... When I saw that tall guy who's about to punch you, I didn't think twice and charged him with all my might just for you not to get hurt... I care Jiyong... I care about you."

Jiyong felt every word Dara said. He didn't know she feels that way.

He felt guilty this woman in his arms care a lot about him when he only cares about himself.

Jiyong gently pushed her away and cupped her face with his hands. He wiped her tears that were flowing non-stop on her cheeks.

"Thank you and I'm sorry."

He didn't realize what he did next. He lowered his head and touched his lips to hers.

It was a soft, sweet innocent kiss.