Chapter 2

Then You Came

"So you've met the famous Jiyong Kwon? How does he look in person? He looks handsome, for sure." Minzy asked Sandara while they were fixing the table for dinner.

"He's arrogant and he thinks everything can be bought by his wealth." Sandara answered as she placed plates on the table.

"What happened?" Daesung asked, another orphan who lives in the orphanage.

"He tried to offer money in exchange to the help I've given." She frowned.

"And you didn't accept it?" Daesung and Minzy asked in unison.

"Why should I? When you help someone, you don't ask for anything in return."

"Unni, it's not that you've asked for it... He was the one who offered it."

"She's right Noona... You know how much we need that money, right?... We barely get past a day with 3 meals on our table... We no longer have any sponsors to ask help from." Daesung told her.

"I know... But it's still not right to earn something you don't deserve to have... It's just not right."

Minzy sighed. "We badly needed to find a sponsor... We need to find one soon or else the kids would starve to death."

"I know... That's why I'm still looking... And I'm also looking for a job to help in our expenses."

"Let us work, too. We can help you earn money." Daesung said.

"No, I won't let you. Study hard and let me find a way."

"We can study and work at the same time." Minzy suggested.

"Both of you really don't know how to listen, huh?... Enough of the argument. You won't win against my decision... Call the kids and Mother Cecilia and we'll have our dinner now." She asked Daesung. "And Minzy, please bring my bag in our room before we eat."

"Okay." Minzy grabbed the bag from the chair and a piece of paper fell. "What's this?" She picked it up.

"Unni, it's a business card... Jiyong Kwon... President of Kwon Group of Companies." Her eyes widened.

Daesung ran towards Minzy and looked at the piece of paper. "An answered prayer?" He exclaimed.

"Give me that... We don't need his help." Sandara said, snatching the business card from Minzy's hand.

"Think about it Unni... He might be our only chance... I heard that the children will be distributed to other orphanage if we remain like this. We need his help."

"Let's not talk about it now... Dae, call them now... And you young lady, bring my bag in our room." Sandara told them.

'Minzy has a point... He might be our last hope.' She thought after being left alone in the dining area.

***********

Sandara looked up at the tall building in front of her. She took a deep breath before finally deciding to get in and do what Minzy has suggested.

She will be asking for help from the ARROGANT Jiyong Kwon.

She walked towards the Information area and told the lady at the front desk that she needs to talk to Jiyong Kwon.

"I'm sorry Ma'am but we can't let you in unless you have an appointment with him." The lady told her.

"Tell him my name's Sandara... The person he met at the police station."

"But ma'am..."

"Just try... I beg you Miss... This is very important."

"Okay... but if his secretary tells us not to let you in, I would need to ask you to leave."

"I will."

After a few minutes of waiting, Sandara was asked to go up to Jiyong's office.

***********

"Ms. Sandara, right?" A female in a formal attire asked.

"Yes."

"Mr. Kwon's just in a conference call meeting right now... You can have a seat for a few minutes... I'll just call you once Mr. Kwon's done."

"Thank you." Sandara replied politely.

She waited for what seems like forever. After almost two hours of waiting, the lady called her and asked her to enter the room.

"Sir, she's here." The lady told the man who's seated on a swivel chair, busy with papers in front of his desk.

"Thanks May... You can leave now."

The lady bowed and left the room.

"So... you came... I knew you would come for the check." Jiyong smirked.

Sandara didn't like what she heard. "I'm not here for the check." She's fuming with anger but she needs to be composed for the sake of the orphanage. "I'm here to ask for your help."

"Aaahh... You need more than the amount that I was supposed to give... But you said you helped the kids not to ask anything in return." He said in a mocking tone.

Sandara's hand turned to fists. "It's not like that... I need to ask help not for me but for the kids I live with."

Jiyong's forehead creased.

"Our orphanage needs help... We need to have a sponsor or else the kids will be sent away from each other... They only have us. We're their family."

Jiyong smirked. "You're shouldering the responsibility for people you're not related to."

"They're my family... You don't need to be blood related to treat someone as part of your life... I'm swallowing my pride now coz this is the only way for me to keep my family intact."

"What if I tell you that the only offer i can give you is the check that I was supposed to give you when we were in the police station?"

"If I have to beg, I will... You're our only chance."

Their conversation was interrupted when his phone rang.

Jiyong answered it and Sandara was startled when he hit the table with his fist.

"What do you mean the Nanny left?!! She's already the 3rd Nanny we got in less than 6 months... I don't care if you need to search other countries for a Nanny... just get one ASAP! The kids can't have no Nanny for a day... Do it or else you'll be the one to babysit the kids... I'm too busy to think about that matter too, for God's sake!!" Then he ended the call.

"Uhm, excuse me Mr. Kwon?.." Sandara tried to ease the tension in the room.

"What?!" He replied angrily.

She flinched but quickly recovered.

"I heard you talking to someone about needing a Nanny ASAP... If you would agree, in exchange to my request of you sponsoring our orphanage, I'll take care of the kids."

He didn't answer.

"I know sponsoring is still too much to ask... but you can ask me to do other things aside from babysitting... Just please, Mr. Kwon, we really need your help." Sandara knelt down to beg. She bowed her head and shut her eyes tightly, wishing the ground would eat her up whole.

She had to swallow her pride for the kids and the orphanage.

She felt a hand touched her shoulder.

"Stand up." Jiyong said.

Confused, Sandara stood up and looked at his serious face.

"Even if you did't offer babysitting, I was to agree to your request of sponsoring your orphanage... but since I badly needed to have someone to take care of Tim and Kim, I'm hoping your true to your words when you said you're willing to babysit them."

"Of... course." She stammered.

'He's so near... My heart's hammering in my chest... They're right... He really looks good.' She thought to herself.

"I'll appreciate that... Will you be able to start today? Someone needs to look after the kids."

"Ow-key."

"Good... Once I get home, we'll talk about my sponsorship and your job as my nephew and niece's Babysitter... I just have so much to do... I'll let our driver bring you there."

She nodded.

"You sure you're okay with this?"

"Yes... For the orphanage." She answered. "And for Tim and Kim as well."

Jiyong smiled genuinely and tapped Sandara's head. "Thank you... You're heaven's sent."

"I should be the one thanking you Mr. Kwon."

"I think we're just even." He squeezed her arm.

She smiled shyly.

'Aaahh... This is what they call KWON'S EFFECT... My knees are getting wobbly.'

She shook her head.

'No Dara, don't get enticed by that look... Remember, you're only doing this for the kids and the orphanage.'