Chapter 3

Then You Came

Sandara opened the door to Tim and Kim's recreation room and saw the kids quietly watching the television.

"Hi kids." Sandara said, catching their attention.

"Can I enter?" She asked.

The kids nodded.

"What are you watching?" She sat on the carpeted floor.

"Phineas and Ferb." Kim replied enthusiastically.

"Aaah... Perry the Platypus..."

"Yes, yes... You watch this, too?" Kim asked.

"Yes... but not all the time coz I have to work." Sandara smiled.

"Why are you here?" Tim asked, arms across his chest.

Sandara stood up in front of the two kids and bowed.

"Let me officially introduce myself... My name's Sandara Park and I'll be your new Nanny... You can call me Dara Unnie."

"You'll take care of us?... No more ugly looking Nannies who don't treat us well?" Kim asked, looking amazed.

"Uh huh... Do you like that?" Sandara asked.

"I like that... I like that." Kim jumped up and down the couch where she's seated.

"Careful Kim, you might fall down." Dara chuckled.

"We should call you Dara Ajhumma since you look like an old fashioned lady." Tim commented.

Dara smiled at him and ruffled his hair. "You can call me however you want it. Ajhumma's fine with me."

"Can I call you Mama Dara?" Kim asked.

"Aaahh..." Dara hesitated.

Kim frowned because of not hearing the same response as what Tim got.

She sat down the couch and let Kim sit on her lap. "Your Papa might not want to hear you call me Mama."

"But I want to call you Mama." The little girl kicked her feet in the air, throwing tantrums.

"Okay okay... let's ask your Papa first, and if he agrees, you can call me that... Just call me Ajhumma for now since that's what your brother suggested, okay?"

Kim pouted.

"Please..." Dara did a fake about-to-cry look.

"Okay... but I'll not stop asking Papa until he agrees."

"I think it's time to prepare your lunch?" Dara changed the topic.

"Our previous Nanny brings our food here." Tim said, still focused on the television.

"Do you want to help in preparing your meal?"

"We get to choose what we eat?" Kim asked.

"Yes... But it should only be healthy food so you can grow taller and stronger."

"You'll let us help you prepare?" Tim looked at her.

Dara nodded. "What do you think?"

Tim smiled. "That sounds fun."

"Should we go down now?" Dara asked.

The kids nodded continuously.

"You have to lead me to the kitchen... This house is a mansion... You'll get lost easily if you're not familiar with the place." She scratched her head.

"We'll be your guide." Tim's little hand held hers and Kim did the same.

**********

"This is new... The kids don't go well with strangers easily... That's why the 3 Nannies decided to leave. They can't stand taking care of this two naughty kids... But you easily had a connection with them." The old lady smiled at her.

They were busy watching the kids eat their meal on the dining table after an almost chaotic preparation of the food.

"I didn't do anything different... Sometimes, you just have to give in to kids requests... with limitations, of course."

"I hope you won't surrender easily... Kids may be tough to handle, these two are no exception to that... but they're loveable once you get to know them better."

"Nana Jade, are there any other family members aside from Mr. Kwon and these kids who live in this huge mansion?"

The old lady shook her head. "There's only the kids and Jiyong... Sometimes, his cousins visit and stay for a couple of days but that's it."

"That's why the house seems so sad."

"I've served this family for a long time now and it has always been a quiet place... Especially when Jiyong's brother left."

"Tim and Kim's father, I suppose?"

Nana Jade nodded. "They only got each other but Darius left."

"Ajhumma, can I please have a glass of water?" Tim asked, interrupting their conversation.

"Okay... wait." Dara replied and got a pitcher of water and two glasses for Tim and Kim.

"Did you enjoy your lunch?" She asked.

"Can we do this everyday?" Kim asked.

"Of course... We'll be doing a lot of activities everyday so both of you won't be bored." Dara gave them a huge smile.

"Nana Jade, did you hear that? We won't stay in our playroom everyday... I'm so excited." Kim exclaimed.

The old lady felt happy for the kids. 'This lady might be the one who'll bring change to this lonely mansion.' She thought.

***********

Jiyong entered Tim and Kim's room silently to check on the two kids. He saw both the kids sleeping soundly on Dara's arms who has a book on top of her chest and was also sleeping.

He carefully took Tim from Kim's bed and moved him on his own bed.

Dara was suddenly awakened by the change of weight on her other arm.

"Ssshh... I'm just moving Tim to his own bed." Jiyong whispered.

Dara slowly placed the book on the bedside table and carefully moved Kim's head on the pillow. She also covered the two kids with their blankets before she went out of the room with Jiyong.

"Sorry I came home late. I had to check on other papers in the office." Jiyong said once they got out of the room.

"It's fine Sir."

"Let's go to my office so we can talk."

She nodded.

Jiyong walked first while Dara followed.

***********

"Did you have a difficult time handling the kids?" Jiyong asked when they were already in his office.

"No... They were lovely Sir."

"They didn't give you a hard time?" He furrowed his eyebrows, surprised that he didn't hear any complaints, unlike when he first got the previous Nannies.

"Kids will always be kids... But they listen well." She smiled.

"That's good news.... Well let's talk about your request and your schedule with the kids."

"We just need enough for the everyday needs of the kids in the orphanage... With other matters, I can handle them."

"Would 1 million ($842) won be enough every month?"

Dara's jaw dropped. "Are you kidding, Sir?"

"Why?"

"You're really gonna sponsor 1 million won every month?"

"Is that not enough?"

"No, no, Sir... It's actually more than enough... Mother Cecilia will be very glad to hear the good news."

"In return, I want you to take care of the kids... Attend to their needs, bring them to school, help them with their assignments and all that kids stuff... You would need to stay here all the time and you'll be free every Sunday... just like tomorrow."

Jiyong handed her a piece of paper.

"The agreement's in that paper. You're free to read it first before signing it... The check will be given to you every end of the month... Do you need to have an advance amount for the orphanage?" He asked.

"Is that possible, Sir?" She asked back, still amazed of the luck she got in just a day.

"If you need to why not?"

"I'll be thick-skinned now and say yes to that, Sir." She answered shyly.

Jiyong chuckled. "You were just acting tough this morning and now it seems that you're all shy."

"Sorry about earlier Sir... I didn't mean to act that way." She bowed down.

"How old are you?" He asked out of nowhere.

"27 Sir."

"And you said your name's Sandara?"

"Sandara Park, Sir... But they call me Dara."

"I'm same age as you... Please don't call me Sir... You can call me Jiyong."

"But... Sir."

"I just told you, right?"

"Sorry..."

"I can ask our driver to bring you to the orphanage tomorrow so you can talk to them about your new job."

"Sir..."

"Aaahh!" He stopped her.

"Sorry... Ji-yong..." She stuttered. "Since it's Sunday tomorrow and the kids are free, can I bring them with me?"

Jiyong raised an eyebrow.

"Nana Jade said they don't often go out... Kids needs to explore and have fun... They can play with the kids in the orphanage while I talk to mother Cecilia."

Jiyong didn't reply.

"If you're worrying about their safely, your driver will be there. I'll take care of them, I promise."

"Fine... But be sure to bring them home before the sun sets."

"Thank you, Sir."

Jiyong rolled his eyes. "It's Jiyong Dara. How hard is it for you to call me Jiyong."

Dara grinned. "Sorry... I'm just used to calling people Mister or Miss or if not, Sir or Ma'am."

"Then start learning to remove that when you're with me."

"Okay."

"Good." Jiyong walked towards a Mini Bar and got himself a bottle of whiskey. "Do you drink?"

Dara shook her head.

"This helps when I can't sleep."

"Reading helps, too... For me, at least."

"Do you think I would still want to read after reading a lot of papers in the office?" He chuckled.

"You have a point." She smiled. "I won't interrupt your rest... Thanks for allowing me to bring the kids... I'll go now."

"Do you know where you'll be staying?"

"Nana Jade told me."

"Alright... Goodnight then."

Dara bowed and said, "Goodnight."