Public Execution

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After being trapped in a dragon's den which was Kwon Jiyong's bedchamber, Sandara was finally able to step out and get some fresh air. Kwon Jiyong had to leave for the Investigations Bureau early that morning, and strangely feeling energized despite Kwon Jiyong's passionate assault for two nights and a day, she decided to test herself if Ryung would still be able to sniff her out. She even removed her jade bangle and left it in their room.

Walking on tiptoes, she entered the room and saw the boy busily sorting some herbs. She held her breath and slowly covered the boy's eyes with her hands.

"Manim?"

Sandara sighed as she sat beside the boy. What a letdown! He was still able to guess it was her! Did Kwon Jiyong lie to her just to convince her to sleep with him?

"How did you know it was me?"

Ryung blushed at her question. Does she really need to ask? Looking up at his master bashfully, he mumbled, "Because of your soft hands and your sweet scent."

Sandara pinched his cheeks and asked some more. "Did you know I was on my way here?"

"No. I only realized when you were near. You naturally smell good, Manim. That's why. Why do you ask?"

Sandara bit her lip in excitement. It seems her mark worked! Her hard work and near-death experience with Kwon Jiyong really worked! Now she can go out as she pleases!

"Jo Sanggung! Hong! Let's go!" Sandara ran out excitedly. She heard Sun Hae's injuries were already treated and that she's responding positively to the medicines so she will soon regain her energy. Sandara felt guilty for her mistake and thought that even if they used to have ill feelings against each other before, they should move on.

As they arrived at the infirmary, the doctors stopped and bowed before her. Even the patients struggled to get up to greet her but she stopped them. Sandara knew life is more important than courtesies, so she told them all to go on with whatever they were doing. When she asked for Sun Hae, she was directed to a private room. The nurses said Sun Hae's family had just left and that the former concubine was taking her medicines.

Heaving a deep sigh as she gathered enough courage, Sandara entered the room alone.

"Good morning," she greeted, startling both the nurse and Sun Hae. The nurse bowed while Sun Hae struggled to stand up to greet her.

"Save the formalities." Sandara ordered before turning to the nurse. "Is this her medicine?"

"Yes, Mama."

"Let me," She took the bowl and spoon from the nurse before sitting on the side of the bed. "Leave us for a while."

Sandara stared at the bowl in her hands in silence, thinking of how to start the conversation. She knew that Sun Hae had been very ambitious which explained why she even dared to seduce the King boldly and was even punished because of it. Still, no one, most especially a woman, deserved the terror and pain she had been through.

Despite her hesitation, Sandara braved herself to face her and speak. "How are you?"

"Better," Sun Hae's voice cracked. She cleared and forced a smile. "I wanted to thank Daewongun and His Majesty for saving all of us but I know I might never get the chance to speak to them myself. Please send my humble gratitude."

"One day, when everything is better, I am sure Jeonha will grant you an audience." Sandara said as she started feeding her some medicine. Sun Hae nodded and smiled, accepting Sandara's friendly gestures.

It was already late in the afternoon when Sandara finished visiting the ladies in the infirmary one by one. She sent them some flowers and fruits and even told them stories of how Daewongun and the King are handling the matter about the imoogans. Somehow, their anxious minds and troubles were put at ease upon hearing Sandara's assurance that the royal uncle and his King nephew were doing their best to protect the kingdom. 

When she was about to leave, Jo Sanggung and Hong approached her with the news.

"Mama, please brace yourself. His Highness is coming!" Worry was painted all over Hong's face. What if Daewongun makes a big deal once again over Sandara going out of the estate?

However, Jo Sanggung was confident. She hit the young guard's back and faced their lady with a wide smile. "No need to be so jumpy, little Hong-ah. I'm pretty sure His Highness just wants to pick Mama up so they could go home together."

Jo Sanggung's words were true after all. Kwon Jiyong's mood was as calm and easy as the shift of summer to fall. Even if it was Hong who was correct, Kwon Jiyong would never be able to resist the charm of his beautiful wife who welcomed him with a sweet smile.

"You came," she said as she looked up at him. "How did you know I was here?"

Kwon Jiyong patted her head, his lips curved to a smile. "I wonder how. I just suddenly sniffed out something sweet and nice somewhere nearby. Turns out, the mice came out to play while the cat's away." Kwon Jiyong narrowed his gaze at her, making Sandara lower her gaze uneasily.

"You can still sense me? Doesn't my mark have any effect on you?" Sandara fiddled with her fingers as she asked but Kwon Jiyong leaned over as he whispered.

"It does. But the opposite." He smirked before acknowledging the greetings of the commoners, doctors, and nurses ahead of him. When he returned to her side, she was still immobile and in shock.

"Do you wish me to explain further? Why don't we go home now so I can show you the effect that mark has on me?"

"No need!" Sandara nervously stepped back in refusal. "I… I understand. Very clearly!"

Kwon Jiyong chuckled at her wife's panic-struck face and guided her back into her palanquin, before riding his horse.

While everyone sighed lovingly as they watched the husband and wife leave, Sun Hae was looking out of the window with an annoyed expression, her heart filled with ruthless vengeance.

 

___________________

 

 

Inside the palace, Yi Sung had been receiving more and more negative reports about his orders in the North. Most Jurchens felt his ways were very oppressive despite the few who embraced the Joseon rules. These Jurchens fled and reports stated that they were pursuing a conversation with the Ming empire. However, Yi Sung trusts the ally that they will do what is best for both kingdoms and that they will annihilate these barbaric Jurchens.

The resistance in the North started to cease as the Jurchens had been divided into two groups and he was expecting General Choi to come back anytime soon.

Despite these developments, he could not help but feel uneasy. The capital is still on tight security, and Sun Hae's case resurfacing bothered him so much, not to mention there were groups who were on the move, planning to reinstate Sun Hae as a concubine, according to Park Wonhee's investigation.

Yi Sung knew somehow he was to blame for this. The hugung should have been peaceful if he only gave the women inside the palace proper attention. His duty as a King is to secure an heir and make sure his bloodline goes on. However, he neglected this responsibility and selfishly paid attention only to the Queen. A jealous woman's wrath is something as difficult to face as the heaven's retribution. And how about the people who hated the queen's family? Since he favored Kim Jisoo so much and showed it to the world, wasn't it natural that she became the target of envy and revenge of his fathers' enemies?

Even if former Minister Sun and Chief State Minister Kim were from the same faction, most Northerners felt Minister Kim had forsaken the Suns when Sun Hae was removed from the hugung.

"Jeonha, it's already late." Lee Soogeun told the King but Yi Sung ignored the eunuch's reminder.

"Prepare my clothes. Tell Park Wonhee we're going out in disguise."

After all the pleadings and naggings he uttered, Lee Soogeun could only accompany the King as he went out of the palace in Yangban's clothes. After Park Wonhee talked to the head doc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter