Reunions

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Park Sandara had just transferred to a palanquin after traveling day and night via carriage from Gyeongju to the southwestern borders of Hanyang which was Incheon county. She calmed down a bit after the long journey but whenever she would be reminded of the man that literally left them eating dust, she couldn't help but twitch her lips in anger.

After all, it was her first time to be refused to and lose face in front of other people!

What a waste! The arrogant man had a face of an immortal, yet even his attitude wasn't human at all! Was he from Hanyang? Are all men in Hanyang the same? She dreaded marrying all of a sudden. She shivered at the thought and prayed silently that she won't encounter such kind of man in the future.

Soon the palanquin had stopped in front of a wide estate. This was a villa which the late King built for the late Queen. Sandara pushed the curtains open and was immediately assisted by Han Sanngung, the palace lady who was with her althroughout the journey. Two more younger, junior maidservants greeted her while the entire villa was surrounded with palace guards.

Sandara had to approve. Seems the King was true to his promise to keep her safe.

Yet this very last phrase made her curious. Are royal marriages always like this? Full of danger and all? Who would dare harm her? Is there even someone who would take efforts to hurt her?

To Sandara, she was only an ordinary yangban. Gyeongju was only a small province by the South-Eastern coast of Joseon. Her father was a professor who lived in a peaceful manner. Their family never maligned anyone. Unless... Gasp! Did her father really accept bribes just so she could stay at Cherry Blossoms House? That seemed unthinkable!

Dara was still lost in her train of thoughts when they reached her chambers which was behind the main hall. It was almost the same size as the one back in the Cherry Blossoms House. But then again, why was she even thinking of the place now that she finally found the chance to escape? By this time, Head Mistress should have received the message from her father explaining the sudden events that made it impossible for her to go back to the institution. She wondered how Head Mistress would react this time. And also, there were Seol and Byeol! How she missed those two. She made a mental note to visit them when time and chance permits.

It hasn't been a day and Sandara was already getting listless. She felt restricted and confined yet had no choice but to be the proper and cultured lady that she had trained for. Six years! She trained for it for six long years!

So she decided to do some embroidery instead when she found a basket full of threads and needles. She found a red cloth and made a handkerchief from it. It was going to take a while to finish what she pictured in her head but she knew it would be worth it. She was someone who gives her all once she decides to go for something. And she was sure the King would be delighted once she gives it to him.

The King must be a good person for her father to put his full trust in him. 

So with that, her previous annoyance was long forgotten and buried. By night time just after dinner, she had a surprise visitor who made her day even more complete.

"Orabeonni!" Sandara almost jumped up from her seat to hug her older brother in joy. She had missed him so much! If she only met her parents every once in a while ever since she got into the Cherry Blossoms House, she almost had no chance to see her orabeonni at all!

Park Won-hee's ever serious face finally split to a grin that looked foolishly adoring as he pinched his sister's cheeks. He was just like his father, just so stupidly fond of Sandara.

If other people sees this side of him, how would they react?

"Aigoo, our little rabbit!"

"Ouch! Orabeonni! My cheeks!" Her cheeks were scarlet red when her brother let her go. She decided to fight back and pinch her brother's arm in return but Park Won-hee was quick to avoid her.

 "Dara-ah, is this what you learned back at the institute?" He asked as he poked the tip of her nose. "How unlady like."

But Sandara just pulled her brother to take a seat before she sat down beside him. She childishly glanced up at him as she held his hand in his making the man crease his brows.

"What are you on about—"

"Shhh!"

Sandara simply wanted to see through him, and also test her 'gift'. Lately, it has been changing a lot. Before she would only hear thoughts. Then she would see small visions. Then the latest and the most scary of all, was a scene long enough to make her hide in her room. But what did she see this time?

A smile crept her lips as she opened her eyes.

"What the hell is this child doing?"

That was all she heard in his orabeonni's thoughts.

She giggled at the word 'child' and let him go.

"Park Sandara, you better tell me the evil plans in your head now! What was that?" Park Won-hee warned his sister but the latter just shook her head and sat on her seat across him.

"Nothing! I just want to check if you're doing enough for your job. And I guess you're doing great! It seems your hands are now more calloused and rough because of holding that sword day and night. Protecting the King was a tough job isn't it?"

"It is. But it's an honor. The King is a good man." He answered, now back to his usual serious tone.

"Did you also know about the plan?" Sandara asked to which Won-hee answered with a nod. He sighed as he watched her innocent sister's face. If he was to be asked, he didn't want his sister to get married just yet. But things have come to this and unfortunately, this would be the best choice.

"Sandara, no matter what, you have to be strong and bear with it, do you understand?"

"Mhm. Orabeonni... What are all of you really trying to save me from?"

"Sandara, listen. Sometimes being favored isn't all good. Sometimes it raises envy."

Sandara nodded as she finally had an idea where all of these things suddenly were coming. She decided to stop asking questions, and start trusting her own instincts.

After all, that's what she's good at. Instincts!

 

 

When Kwon Jiyong came back to his residence, he immediately noticed a different atmosphere. His estate's lamps were all lit and hung up giving the huge residence the attention it deserved, but he detested too much light and decoration, what more attention

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter