Paying back

Dear Diary, Woohyun's a Jerk

THE PRESENT

"Why?" Sungjong asked. "Just go back to your body and surprise Yoomi that you're awake. That's the best right?"

Woohyun shook his head as he took a step back. "I need time to think. In the mean time," he looked at them. "Bring me to see Yoomi. I want to see how she's doing."

The Infinite members looked at each other and shrugged. They couldn't see what's wrong with his suggestion anyway, although they couldn't figure the reason for it.

Hoya nodded to Sunggyu who clicked his fingers. "Bring us to the hospital."


 

They appeared outside a hospital ward. Woohyun gulped when he saw the name of the occupant stuck on the door.

SHIN YOOMI.

He looked at the members who nodded at him. "Go. We'll come when you call for us." Dongwoo encouraged.

Woohyun swallowed and tried to open the door. His fingers slipped through the knob and his eyes widened. *Oh right. I'm just my conscience now.*

With a deep breath, Woohyun floated through the door. His eyes landed on a familiar girl lying on the bed, while another five guys huddled round her bed.

There were bandages on Yoomi's eyes, but she was still smiling at the SHINee boys. Her hands felt around the table beside her and Onew caught her hand. "What do you want, Yoomi?" he asked softly.

"Water please, Jinki oppa." she smiled.

Onew nodded and poured her a cup of water, not allowing her to drink herself. He fed her carefully and wiped her lips there after. She continued smiling, but at the wrong person. "Thanks Jinki oppa." she told Key.

The Diva choked on his tears and Jonghyun guided Key out, so as not to let Yoomi know. Yoomi didn't know what happened and she turned to face the window. "Is it raining today or is it sunny, Jinki oppa?" she asked curiously.

Taemin bit his lip and wiped his tears. "Noona..." he began breaking down.

Onew looked at his two dongsaengs with his red swollen eyes which showed that he had cried a lot. He signalled for Minho to bring Taemin out. He sat on the bed and cuddled Yoomi in his arms.

"Hmm today?" he responded gently. "Today's the sun's out and it's really bright. There's kids everywhere playing in the garden and I can see several birds in the sky." he fibbed as he looked at the thunder clouds outside.

"Wow, must be beautiful." Yoomi beamed.

A tear trickled down Onew's cheek as he held her. "Yeah. It is." he kissed the top of her head softly.

Woohyun stood there, nearly having a break down. She was blind, freaking blind! She couldn't see anything for the rest of her life! She was disabled, she can't watch the sunrise and sunset, she can't even walk to the nearest market for groceries without being knocked down by passing bicycles.

She looked so vulnerable, but at the same time, that smile on her face never left her face.

"My God Yoomi.." Woohyun felt himself crying as he saw her. The two in the room couldn't see him, and continued in their own little world.

"How is Woohyun oppa nowadays, Jinki oppa?" Yoomi asked.

Woohyun nearly laughed. "You're like this and you're still asking about me?" he screamed in agony. "Yoomi!"

Onew rocked her gently in his arms as he  her hair. "Woohyun? The doctor says he's stable now. He's still unconscious now, but the doctor says he may wake up anytime now. Don't worry, hmm?"

Yoomi nodded. "If only I ran faster then. I could have saved both of us." she pouted.

Onew closed his eyes as tears trickled down his face again. "It's not your fault Yoomi." he choked. He caressed her cheek and kissed her bandage on her eyes. "It's my fault. I should have been the one to run. If not, you wouldn't have..  you wouldn't have-"

Yoomi reached out for Onew's face and felt wetness on his cheek. "You're crying Jinki oppa."

Onew held her hands. "How can I not when you're like this? It pains me, Yoomi." he held her hands to her face.

Yoomi smiled at him. "It's okay Jinki oppa. There are other people who are more unfortunate than me, losing more than just sight." she leaned into him. "And you'll be here for me right? That's more than enough."

Onew nodded and held her closer. "I'll be here. I'll be here for you forever."

Woohyun took a step back as he choked in his tears. "Infinite. Take me back." he whispered. Within a moment, he disappeared from the hospital ward.


 

Hoya smiled at Woohyun, sadness in his eyes. Woohyun choked on his tears as he fell on the ground, crying. It wasn't often that the Nam Woohyun let his emotions overwhelm him, but he couldn't control it.

How could he not cry when the girl he just found he loved was burdened by this disability, because of him?

"Go back to your body, Woohyun." Sunggyu advised. "Then you can hold her and care for her with Onew."

Woohyun calmed himself down and took several breaths. "No."

"What?" Dongwoo stared. "No what?"

"No." Woohyun stood up, determined. "I'm not going to go back to my body. I want to die. I choose to die."


 

How am I going to continue living by her side, watching her suffer, when I know I was the cause for those tears?

 

A knock on the door woke Onew. He glanced down at Yoomi who stirred slightly in his arms. He laid her on the bed gently and kissed her forehead softly before getting the door.

 

How can I blatantly return to my body and live my normal life, when I caused her so much pain?

 

"Doctor Kim?" Onew raised his brows. "Is something wrong?"

 

I love her. I love her so much.

 

"There's good news and bad news." Doctor Kim told Onew. "Good news first, we found a donor for corneas for Yoomi. If it goes smoothly, she'll regain her sight in no time."

 

But I was foolish to not have seen.

 

Onew's eyes widened. "Yes!" he pumped his fists in the air. "Yes yes yes yes!" he cried in happiness. He ran to hug Doctor Kim. "Thank you thank you. Thank you so much!"

When he calmed down slightly, he looked at Doctor Kim curiously. "And what's the bad news?"

 

It's my punishment, and I'm going to payback to her. I can't allow her to suffer. I want her to smile.

 

"You know, for there to be a donor, someone must die." Doctor Kim continued sternly. "Someone just did, moments ago. Someone...you know."

Onew's eyes widened as he looked back at the soundly sleeping Yoomi. *What would she do if she found out?*

 

I want her...to watch the sunrise with Onew beside her...and smile.